Smashed To The Past: Super Smash Land

By Adam Smith on September 19th, 2011 at 3:02 pm.

the first kid to get a gameboy at my school used to charge us 20p for a go on it, money better spent on Tangy Toms

Here’s some words you don’t see on RPS every day: Mario, Link, Megaman…Pikachu. Yet there they all are. The reason is Super Smash Land, a free, downloadable demake of Smash Brothers, the game were Nintendo characters pummel the crap out of one another. There is no love in that family. Dan Fornace, the creator, has previous with this sort of thing. He once half-made a Smash Brothers alike using Lord of the Rings characters. This project is different though; it’s Smash Brothers as made for the original Gameboy. Except on your PC. Take a look.

I can confirm that, dinky graphics and all, it plays very close to Smash Brothers. There’s a choice of authentic stages and a small roster of characters with all their moves are recreated. If you’ve never played the original or any of its sequels, they aren’t quite like normal beat ‘em ups. Rather than draining a health bar when you hit an opponent, you cause their smash meter, or whatever it’s called, to rise. The higher it is, the further each blow will knock them flying, with the aim being to knock them off the edge of the screen.

The controls are simple. Move, jump and attack. Pushing in a direction while pressing attack triggers a special, which are unique to each character. The best way to learn is to play a few games and there is a decent AI to scrap against if you don’t have a friend willing to join in. Up to four people can play, although that would be a very crowded keyboard unless you have very tiny hands. Or a very large keyboard.

Super Smash Land has been in development for a long time and the effort shows through. There’s an interview about the development process on Piki Geek here, where you’ll also find the download link. It’s a fantastic homage and a fun game in its own right, although you’ll definitely get more out of it if you have more than a nodding acquaintance with Nintendo. The music, by Brendan Becker, is very well done and the whole thing makes me nostalgic for school lunchtimes spent swapping the one Gameboy in the playground back and forth.

, , , , , , .

1. Creeping Death says:

With a name like Lord of the Smash my first thought isn’t a Lord of the Rings beat-em-up… It’s a Lord of the Dance one :/

I haer Michael Flatley is notoriously difficult to unlock.

Keymonk says:

As far as I recall, Nintendo tend to not like this kind of thing. Cue cease and desist, perhaps?

shoptroll says:

I thought they allowed a Star Fox tribute project to go forward?

But just to be safe, grab it while it’s hot!

• Svampson says:

Actually Nintendo is probably one of the coolest companies when it comes to fan projects like this (provided you don’t charge for it)

Keymonk says:

Ah. Possibly. I’m not entirely sure, but well, I’ll take your word for it!

kavika says:

I think they’re hit and miss on foxing things.

It seems they’re more lenient lately, tho. I see all sorts of Nintendo-related merch these days that I’m pretty sure doesn’t have the “Nintendo Seal of Quality” on it – t-shirts, basically nintendo-themed bands, artwork, etc.

In the 80s/early 90s, they were like hawks on their IP, tho.

3. Koozer says:

Meter*

EDIT: the stages look good, but the sprites would be nightmarish on a Gameboy screen. Also, no Samus no sale.

• Axyl says:

The lack of Samus is a bit upsetting, but considering it’s free.. I’m gonna play the crap outta this anyways. :)

4. Jumwa says:

Looks quite amazing. I love it.

But I can’t see this staying widely available for long before Nintendo’s lawyers go after it.

And yeah, no Samus? The greatest lady of video gaming? Lame!

5. Berzee says:

Only played it for a couple minutes so far, but it seems amazing! Hugely better than I expect from a demake. =)

It was a good choice to focus on 4 characters at first, but here’s hoping he adds some more. =)

6. Obc says:

as long as Link has his down-B attack i’m all game. hopefully they dont add zelda/Shiek in it or my friends will rub they floor with me.

7. Alexander Norris says:

I didn’t know Kirby was secretly Megaman!

8. Gusj says:

Does this have Samus then?

9. Hatsworth says:

I wish capcom would release Mega Man 9 and 10 for the PC so you could say Mega Man.
    It’d literally cost them nothing, but I guess they’re too afraid of piracy even though it can already be pirated(even on the pc through Dolphin) and anyone who’d buy them on a console would already have bought them by now.

10. caddyB says:

Rule 34 my friend.

phuzz says:

I think to enjoy Smash Brothers, it helps to have been raised on consoles and to have an idea of who all the different characters are. Alas, I was an Amiga gamer in my youth and missed out on all of this, and had to slum it with my Populus and Shadow Of the Beast instead.*

My Hong Kong raised flatmate, who grew up on a variety of console toys loves this series of games, but they just leave me a bit numb. Mind you, I’ve never progressed much beyond button mashing in beat-em-ups either.

*And by slum it I mean have a far superior time, of course.

12. dellphukof says:

I plan on the final possibly being mac playable. It depends on a lot of things. Mostly if yoyo ever releases a GM8 for mac.

Also, Demo 2 has a release date of February 21, 2011. So get ready for some old-school smashing. Truly amazing.I found out about a few bugs so I will be uploading a bugfix to the same download tomorrow if you already snagged it then redownload. You can copy your old save file over =).dịch vụ seo