Gunpoint Points Out Its New Look

By Alec Meer on September 20th, 2011 at 9:13 am.

A gun, pointed

Remember Gunpoint, the stealth/hacking/rewiring game from friend/co-arch-nemesis of RPS Tom Francis? In between murdering trees and optimising for search engines, Tom’s drafted in some artists to dramatically overhaul the game’s look, which results in the rather eye-catching, Flashback-y aesthetic you’ll see above (and indeed below). There’s much more imagery and information on how it works and what’s going on in the new shot over at the shiny (i.e. dark) new website, but I’ve embedded the old video below in case you missed it first time. Don’t squeal about the graphics in it. They’ve changed now, remember? Tcch, you kids and your attention spans. TOO MUCH MTV.

One more shot for you, and then an educational video:

Remember, this video is the OLD look, not the NEW look. Repeat that after me, and then you’re allowed to watch the video. OK? OK.

Tom’s targeting a Christmas release for Gunpoint, and it will be free. How festive!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gnoupi says:

When I watch the old video, I can’t help but thinking of this as a L4D’s hunter simulator.

Still, looks interesting. I like the “one shot, one dead” approach. Like in Frozen Synapse, it’s more a matter of striking at the good moment.

• LionsPhil says:

I thought that, until the little slapfight punching played, and then I laughed out loud. The real kind, not the Internet kind.

2. JuJuCam says:

I was actually thinking about this game just yesterday, wondering when I’d get a chance to play. Still wondering that, actually.

3. thepaleking says:

Call me when this game gets highly specular dynamic mapped lightning.

4. Hyperion says:

like a fancier Bonanza Bros

5. LookingGlass says:

Reminds me of Syndicate for some reason. I hope it is a little like syndicate in its atmosphere.

6. terry says:

This looks fun. I hope it comes out before Monaco (sometime in 2052).

7. kyrieee says:

This looks brilliant!
    @Tom what are you using to make it?

8. Rev_Sudasana says:

Reminds me of the Trilby game The Art of Theft in an excellent way. At first I thought it was an updated version.

9. Fox89 says:

Damn, time to upgrade my PC!

10. BurningPet says:

Although i also loved the old programmer art and animation, i must say, damn those look good!

also, kudos for the colorblind mode.

11. JFS says:

Uh, yeah! I confused this game with Monaco, but this is the one I’m looking forward to. Even more, now.

12. supernorn says:

This looks great, keep it up!

I think you’re mad to offer this for free though. I’d pay money for this easily.

13. screeg says:

Is that video the new look? Because the graphics need work.

14. Hodge says:

Monaco, Subversion and now this. We’re heading towards a golden age of games involving pinchysneaks.

15. sinister agent says:

I laughed out loud at the slapping punch sound effects when he jumped that first guard. It’s the timing, I think. A perfectly timed pause, then SMACK SMACK SMACK.

This looks like a good laugh. I’m not really a fan of puzzle-ish games, but I enjoyed Art of Theft, and this looks a little similar. A bit of character like this seems to be showing already can go a long way.

16. Urthman says:

Yeah, the guard punching and the jumping through windows both look like they could remain amusing for several hours, but tricking the guard into knocking himself out with a door opening in his face is my favorite.

He needs an amusing sound for the guards to make when you’ve got them at gunpoint.

17. fenriz says:

90′s: player faces a cliff, an old man stands there, needs an item player finds somewhere. All games pay homage to puzzle adventures.

10′s: player faces a cliff. You can hurl him over.

how does that speak volumes.

18. Axyl says:

TOP SEX!
    (this is now my new phrase when reading an article on RPS about a game I really like/look forward to)

Seriously tho, this game looks so freakin’ sweet. And for free in time for Xmas too..

Outstanding. Eagerly awaiting this one, Tom. :)

19. deadly.by.design says:

Reminds me of Rolling Thunder from the Arcade/NES days:

20. shoptroll says:

Looking forward to this. Seems like it’ll be an interesting holiday distraction :)

21. Davee says:

Wow, this looks absolutely great! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, RPS – will definitely keep an eye on it. :D

22. The Innocent says:

Been watching this one, and it looks great. I love that it seems to be blending tense situations (one-shot kills, locked down areas) with great situational humor (the rewiring system, super-jumping guards out of windows).

23. ashereize says:

Having watched the video, I can confirm; I’m too stupid to play this kind of game. No really.

24. MajorManiac says:

When I saw the first screen shot I thought this was going to be a Flashback remake.

Tom’s game looks just as good. I am really looking forward to this one.

Comment on this story