Homefront 2 To Be Developed By Crytek

By John Walker on September 20th, 2011 at 1:19 pm.

I'm sure they shouldn't fly this close together.

Having closed down Homefront developers, Kaos Studios, earlier this year, THQ have had to look elsewhere to create a sequel for the massively disappointing shooter. They seem to be going straight to the top. It has just been announced that the publishers are partnering with Crysis creators, Crytek, for the project. The company, currently rumoured to be working on Timesplitters 4, and certainly developing a 360 exclusive, Ryse, for Microsoft, is certainly diverging away from its previous EA-only development. And with multiple studios and presumably Crysis 3 a good way off, it makes sense for them to be picking up work like this.

But Homefront? Perhaps. When the game was revealed it looked like it was going to be incredible, and certain heavily influenced by Crysis. Sadly the result was an extremely dull shooter that offered almost nothing original. But perhaps Crytek are the right people to breathe life into the idea of a band of resistance fighters in a Korean-occupied United States.

Statements from both sides show no admittance that Homefront had been a disappointment. THQ says,

“Homefront’s unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over. With Crytek’s industry leading technology and legendary experience in the FPS genre, we’re supremely confident that the next Homefront will deliver that AAA-quality experience that players demand.”

And Crytek’s boss, Cevat Yerli, fawns,

“We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created and marketed by THQ.”

He does then offer a few lines that the more cynical mind could read as slightly loaded.

“We believe that bringing our level of quality, creativity and production values to the next Homefront title, creates an opportunity for both THQ and Crytek to deliver a truly blockbuster game. It’s really important to us that THQ has the faith in giving us a lot of creative freedom over one of its most important properties to allow us to bring the Homefront world to life in a new and innovative way.”

In other words, perhaps, “Leave us alone to get on with it.”

It’s a long way off yet. Set to be released in THQ’s fiscal year 2014, that likely means it’ll have at least its initial release date set for late 2013.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Derppy says:

Well, it can’t be any worse than the first one, right?

2. Echo Black says:

Never expected to see so many games being outsourced to Crytek. Especially not Timesplitters, if the rumor is true.

• Sankis says:

Didn’t Crytek actually buy the studio that did Timesplitters? That doesn’t seem too strange. Though Homefront seems a bit odd. Crytek seems to really enjoy a healthy dose of sci-fi in their shooters. I wonder how they’ll manage with a “straight” game like Homefront? Assuming it was played straight because haha I never played it!

• Alexander Norris says:

TimeSplitters isn’t “outsourced” to Crytek. This is why there are rumours that they’re working on a new one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crytek_UK

• Ian says:

While they’re at it they can get the ex-Free Radical chaps to make me a new Second Sight.

• kyrieee says:

Since everyone pirated Crysis they couldn’t afford to start several satellite studios and quadruple their size as a company. Oh wai-

• vodka and cookies says:

That’s not were Crytek makes it’s money from, they switched over to selling their technology in the industrial/military markets and there is a Crytek sub-studio dedicated to that, this has fuelled their growth.

Anyway as was stated cant be any worse than the first game.

Speaking of others picking up franchises, I’d really like to see Insomniac Games do Half Life 3, their last title Resistance 3 was very good and screamed Half Life, Valve with its hazy management structure can’t be bothered to continue Half Life any more it seems.

• Whitechip says:

@vodka and cookies
      Didn’t you hear they blew their hole budget on the new logo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6JXDiz0C-s&feature=feedf_more

3. RizziSmoov says:

Homefront was actually enjoyable

• kulik says:

Do they pay you or are your standards just that low?

• Makariel says:

hah, standards…

• Tei says:

I played the multiplayer demo, and was fun. Somewhat like a hybrid BF-MW game. Or a BF game in a tiny map.

• TigerMike74 says:

When it comes up in a Steam sale for <$15, I will probably buy it and enjoy it thoroughly for what it is.

• Askeladd says:

15$ is still too much. But thats just how I value my time.

• RizziSmoov says:

@TigerMike
      Don’t bother, the game’s nearly dead

@Kulik Actually it’s just the fun of dropping people dead without the BS of CoD and the terrible teammates +AHoles of BF

• oddshrub says:

It’s fun, I enjoyed the story as much as the first modern warfare but it’s only 4 hours long.

I got it on a steam sale for 5€ and I think I got my moneys worth but I can sure understand why people who paid 10 times what I did were pissed.

4. gganate says:

Crysis 3: Return To The Homefront

• Balobam says:

I had a similar thought, from the differences between Crysis and Crysis 2, you can tell they want to make something more Military than something more Sci-Fi Fiction. Which I can’t complain about, I’ll reckon they could make it a very enjoyable game.

Just wish they’d make a Crysis that was a prequel, so it’d be more like the first, except the rest of your team would be alive and you could do some awesome Co-Op shit. What with the huge levels and large areas where enemies roam, having 2 people running about there would be great fun.

5. Flukie says:

Yeah.. Cryteks PC presence has just become Epics where they focus on making console hits for sales and will just make tools that others can use.

Wish they had a game like Bad Company 2 that could convince their publisher that going for PC as the lead platform next time can create some amazing results, especially marketing for their game.

Think of how many units of Battlefield 3 will be sold based on the incredible PC footage the console kids have seen unaware that their version won’t be as impressive. I hope its impressive enough to stop them from getting too angry about it and changing EA’s mind.

6. EOT says:

Wow…the marketing machine really managed to shift a good few copies if a sequel is in the works. I would have thought a 4 hour campaign and lacklustre MP would have been the death of it. Apparently not.

7. Rii says:

I haven’t played either game, but weren’t both Crysis 2 and Homefront about AMERICA UNDER ATTACK!!!?

8. mrwonko says:

What? I am utterly surprised.

9. Jarenth says:

For a few amazing seconds, I read that title as Homeworld.

Yes, I know Homeworld 2 is already a thing. I don’t care. A Homeworld game developed by Crytek would be a glorious disaster.

• Bull0 says:

Thanks, now we can expect Homeworld, the contemporary FPS “reimagining” of the dated RTS classic that maybe some kids will remember their dads owning or something and buy for the name, 2013

• drewski says:

Oh God what if they read this and get ideas?

WHAT IF THEY READ THIS AND GET IDEAS?????

• supernorn says:

I read it as Homeworld as well. But mostly because Homefront was so utterly forgettable I had to trick my brain into thinking anyone would be crazy enough to suggest a sequel.

• Tunips says:

I would have no objection to being able to leap into the cockpit mid-RTS, Men of War-style

• brooklyn67 says:

Yes, clicked the story thinking “Homeworld 2″ as well. Always thought the first Homeworld 2 missed an opportunity. With Hollywood just straight-up remaking things all the time, I’m trying to think of games that have been just remade with new tech, same story, etc. The new CounterStrike comes to mind, but little else. I’d buy a fresh Homeworld, Wing Commander, etc. Seems like there’s money laying around waiting to be picked up.

• Sabre_Justice says:

Extremely pretty spaceships in extremely pretty space, assuming they don’t go the XCOM/Syndicate route.

I have to wonder what a super detailed and pretty RTS would be like. Would there be a market for it?

• telpscorei says:

@drewski: I lolled. And then immediately afterwards became frightened by the possibility.

• Sassenach says:

Homeworld: Marine Frigate – Men with Guns in Space.

10. Bull0 says:

Crytek must have a very good New Business guy. Are we still skeptical of the general state of affairs at Crytek, though? I remember some “developer whistleblower” type post recently but I can’t ever tell whether they’re serious, ironic, or just disgruntlement anymore

• Rii says:

Personally I’ve been skeptical of Crytek ever since they raged against PC gaming and all the evil pirates infesting its waters a while back.

• Bull0 says:

That too.

• Askeladd says:

Those are not the only questionable statements Crytek made.
      Growing too fast wasn’t maybe the best longterm decision they could have made.

• Bull0 says:

I remember when they were this charming tech firm who were making eccentrically high-spec games… I liked them, ish, back then :)

• MisterT says:

they eventually tessellated CE3, and they gave it out for nonprofit so if they make a good PC game, I’ll buy it.

11. Hodge says:

I wonder if it will be a top-down strategy game?

• Monkey says:

Homefront would be better if it was a turn based isometric strategy game – FACT

12. Kdansky says:

Homefront is a success story for the marketing department. Despite scathing reviews, it has sold enough copies to warrant a sequel. It’s the perfect example that the vast majority of people will buy any product if it is only crammed down their throats hard enough. People were disappointed by H1 and they will gladly buy H2 still.

If Homefront 2 is as “good” as Crysis 2, then it’s not really worth playing to begin with.

• Askeladd says:

They can release it on consoles only for all I care. Crytek has to produce a good game again. I really liked Farcry when it came out. Crysis was good too, but I didn’t deliver a bit of fun to me. Thats the reason I won’t play Crysis 2, after hearing about heavy scripting.
      I don’t know if it’s just me but Cryteks games aren’t fun. Not compared to many other games. Nothing can beat a round of magicka 4 player coop with some of your friends.

• Felixader says:

@Askeladd

That’s simply cause first and foremost they are a tech company.

But i have to think, with the technical “demands” many PC Gamers blurt out constantly and the fact that the first Crysis is still celebrated as very good game, fantastic even, althougth the gameplay and writing is said to be awfull, that Crytek is actually really fitting into developing PC-Games.

But to be fair people also said that they are really getting much better.

• KenTWOu says:

@Askeladd
      Crysis 2 was less scripted than Half-life 2

13. Casimir Effect says:

Hmmm 2/4 Crytek games involve shooting Koreans. This could become their niche. At least it’d be preferable to them continually falling back on shitty aliens or mutants.

14. metalangel says:

Ooooh. The first one was good fun, both SP and MP (though SP was a bit short, that’s par for the course given it was trying to ape CoD) and I have no regrets about buying it.

How many of you slagging it off played the multiplayer demo?

• godwin says:

This and this.

• metalangel says:

I thought so, two links discussing the singleplayer.

Like CoD, Homefront is all about the multiplayer. However, it’s pretty damned hard to market a multiplayer game, don’t you think? Have you noticed how almost all the BF3 video footage has been from the singleplayer campaign too?

• supernorn says:

This mentality is really annoying. If singleplayer was not an important part of the game then there would be no singleplayer campaign. You cannot judge a game on half of its content just because ‘it’s all about the multiplayer’.

• metalangel says:

Why not? Everyone here seems to be judging it just on the singleplayer.

• TigerMike74 says:

Don’t confuse “judging a game based on its overall appeal to a typical gamer” with “judging a game based on how I’ll like it.” Metalangel uses the latter definition, while supernorn uses the former.

• MichaelPalin says:

Homefront has what it deserves. All the marketing on the game was about how cool the story was. The problem is that they focused on the MP so it is just natural that people bash the game. CoD marketing for example relays a lot on the MP, while the game focuses a lot on MP, it makes sense. The problem is that the plot of Homefront is very marketing-friendly, so THQ put all the marketing on the SP even if they didn’t care about the SP. They wanted a CoD-killer, so they focused on the MP and expected that, magically, the SP would drive the sales and the MP the CoD-killing.

I’m not even sure if all this makes sense, but Homefront does have what it deserves.

15. Mollusc Infestation says:

Tyme Splitters, you mean. And, er… Homefrynt?

16. Monkey says:

Saw the screen shot and thought another Call of Duty story, funny that

17. godwin says:

United Statesians seem to have a strange obsession with seeing their lands and society in ruin — and not even to contemplate compassion for the suffering of others, as I had thought Homefront might have been about, but it seems it’s simply just that, to revel in the spectacle of destruction, or to prey on a misguided sense of patriotism for some sales numbers. The power of nightmares, aye.

• drewski says:

Given there’s been about two shooters in history that have focused entirely on the US being invaded, and approximately 11 billion in history focusing on the US invading someone else, I think you’re drawing a pretty long straw here.

• brooklyn67 says:

I believe that’s “eleventy”. And you’re right. The “Armored Fury” booster pack for BF2 barely counts.

• Prime says:

Ha! You should go take a look at the last 40 years of anime output by Japan. That entire country must have been destroyed about a million times by now.

• Sabre_Justice says:

It’s the same in every country all the time, England literally used to have a genre of ‘Invasion Fiction’ (think Tom Clancy stuff) that involved pretty much everyone invading them at some point. (this was before WW1, so it was a well founded fear) Then some weirdo called HG Wells made the invaders Martians.

• metalangel says:

Stop using facts to try and discredit his anti-American ranting.

18. Monkey says:

FFS THQ what would be a quadrazillion times better would be a asymetrical multiplayer shooter based on the warhammer 40,000 universe made in cryengine.

I bet my grandmother that with the same marketing budget, it would sell MORE

19. Kollega says:

“Homefront’s unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over.”

Could this statement possibly be any more untrue?

• drewski says:

Well, as settings go, North Korea invading the US *is* actually pretty unique.

• Jarenth says:

“Homefront’s unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over. It also cured cancer, did your taxes, and caught the Easter Bunny”.

• Askeladd says:

How many lies are there?

20. Jimbo says:

When did Crytek become ‘the top’? That’s worrying.

• Askeladd says:

The ‘top’ as in high above?
      I once knew this guy Icarus. Man he could tell you a tale. I didn’t say nothin’ .

21. Moni says:

Looks like it’s being developed by Free Radical/Crytek UK.

22. Snack says:

I have strong reasons to believe that Crytek is not a great company when it come to innovation, even graphics aren’t that top quality. Technology is where they shine and that’s about all.

23. Tunips says:

I’d like to see a Red Dawn game; a desperate band of partisans scrabbling for survival, for vengeance, while battling increasingly focused counterattacks and the much deadlier threat of despair, ice-cold killing madness, and betrayal. Influencing without understanding the larger state of war.

• Sabre_Justice says:

Fun fact repeated in my own comment: Homefront was written by the same guy as Red Dawn.

Also, the North Koreans were originally the Chinese, and it was changed mid-development. Weirdly, they did the same for the Red Dawn remake currently in Hollywood stasis.

• Tunips says:

Exactly. They were clearly so focused on making Red Dawn, and had more money than the marketing department knew what to do with, so it baffles me why they didn’t buy the rights to the name.

24. MuscleHorse says:

MEDIOCRE DEVELOPER IN MEDIOCRE SEQUEL SHOCKER!

25. Brumisator says:

FUkc crytek, fuck them right in the PC abandonning fuckhole

• Dominic White says:

Yes, Crytek hate and have abandoned the PC. This is why they recently released a major PC-exclusive update for Crysis 2 that makes even the most improbably beefy of PCs creak and groan under the sheer weight of cutting-edge PC exclusive technologies.

They clearly did this out of spite for the platform.

• phenom_x8 says:

@dominic
      What update?? Oh, that half assed DX11 patch (that reduce almost half of my FPS) and that still blocky high res texture update ( I remember minecraft when saw it for the 1st time).
      The only good things from crytek after crysis 2 is their CE3 free SDK!

BTW, they’ve decided to port 1st Crysis into console! Do you remember it, guys?? That’s the game we ‘ve been help to hyped (as PC gamer) till now ! And, I’m pretty sure crytek still relied to that game charisma to sold its console port!
      Not enough money from the sequel,eh!

• Unaco says:

@Phenom…

It reduced half of your Frames per second to what? Reduced them to ashes? Reduced them to 640*480 JPG’s? What were your frames reduced to? I could see how that could be annoying… if every other frame wasn’t from the game, that could be slightly off-putting. Are you sure you installed the patch right? I can’t understand why they would release a patch that did that intentionally.

• Brumisator says:

@Unatco

Being intentionally thick-headed is really not a way to make an argument.
      His frames per second is the number of frames you get every second… so… you take a number… and reduce it by half. Okay?
      So you get half the frames per second as before. Meaning it reduced performance for phemom_x8.

Myself, I don’T know, no matter how smoothly the game may run, it’s still such a god-awful game that I was actually screaming at my computer while playing it.

26. hellojed says:

I just hope this means the return of the Homefront Free Taco Truck.

27. Sabre_Justice says:

They really should have just made a Red Dawn FPS. They already had the same writer and everything.

28. buzzmong says:

“Homefront’s unique setting and storyline captivated gamers…”
    “We see Homefront as a really strong universe…”

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*gasp*hahahahahahahaha. haha. ha.

Generic shooter comments aside, it’s rather telling publishers are shit scared of new IP as Homefront isn’t exactly a recognized brandname, let alone a title that deserves a sequel. It would have been better to start afresh with a brand new name in a similar setting. Perhaps something like “Retaliation”, “The Underground” or “Kill anyone who appears to be a foreign type with a gun”.

29. MichaelPalin says:

I’m not really sure what publishers find so glamorous about Crytek, but Crysis 2 and Homefront have sold exactly the same amount of copies: 2 million. Isn’t this the exact definition of “double standards”, mr. THQ?

30. jonfitt says:

Do we really need a Homefront 2? What is Homefront at this point:
    1) A mediocre game that will quickly be forgotten.
    2) A giant marketing budget sinkhole that swallowed billboards worldwide.
    Which is really why THQ want to make another one. They spent so much money trying to build a property they want to make us think they have built a property.
    But objectively do people want Homefront 2, or for someone to have a stab at Homefront 1 again?
    To me the fun of the idea is in the invasion and subsequent occupation, if Homefront 2 takes place afterwards it’s missing out on the best bits.

31. Zealuu says:

Homefront is frustrating to think about, for several reasons. One, it’s a textbook example of a publisher eroding away any kind of potential and promise (I actually wanted Homefront when they first announced it!) from the original announcement, all in their relentless pursuit of maximum CoD-ness. And then a carpet bombing of TV ads ensures that it’s actually profitable, when it should have been a catastrophic failure and proceeded to go down in history as a cautionary tale for game publishers, and the end of the CoD-clone era.

If it’s really Free Radical/Crytek UK who are doing Homefront 2, then, well, cue cautious optimism. It’s still not going to be very good unless they make some drastic gameplay redesigns, but well. At least it’ll have pretty trees now.

On a semi-related note, THQ should think about cultivating their WH40k stuff if they want monster IPs. Space Marine could have really shaken things up if they’d bothered marketing it and provided a better multiplayer framework (because the core gameplay has chainswords and is great). Outside of just Spess Mehreens, I can see at least five bestsellers just sitting in grimdark space waiting to be made.

32. Koozer says:

Most interesting information nugget: Timesplitters 4!

33. ResonanceCascade says:

Too much hate here, I need to bring the love.

And I will, but first: I really hated Homefront. In fact, I have no qualms about saying it’s the SECOND worst FPS I played this year (Hail to the King, Baby!).

However, I love Crytek and — try not to have an aneurism — liked Crysis 2 a lot. So I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t kind of excited by this news, if only because it means more Cryteky goodness.

34. ankh says:

Homefront is still one of my favourite MP games so well worth the price for me. Luckily I’ve never touched the SP since that’s just a marketing campaign.

35. Robin says:

Michael Bay will be the director.

36. Germaximus says:

The first thing i see is “massively disappointing.”
    You people are ridiculous.
    I loved Homefront and still play it often on OnLive.

• ResonanceCascade says:

The game has its fans, but I agree with the “massively disappointing” sentiment. It was hyped as a gritty, Half-Life 2-inspired guerrilla warfare game when it was actually a sub-par 4-hour COD clone with a decent multiplayer mode.

• metalangel says:

Hang on… Half-Life 2 was all about charging headlong into swarms of Combine soldiers, blasting them left right and centre with an arsenal of guns.

Homefront is all about charging headlong into swarms of KPA soldiers, blasting them left right and etc etc.

Did it need more physics puzzles or something? It certainly had an endearing female co-star of indeterminate ethnicity.

• ResonanceCascade says:

(I hope I’m really just missing some irony here, but just in case…)

Baldur’s gate is about waltzing around a medieval setting and smashing guys with swords. Diablo is about waltzing around a medieval setting smashing guys with swords. SAME GAME.

Tie Fighter is about flying a spaceship and shooting things. Fury3 is about flying a spaceship and shooting things. SAME GAME.

Anyone can make ridiculous comparisons by ignoring the fundamental game design and drawing sweeping parallels that don’t really tell you anything.

• metalangel says:

Do you have a point ResonanceCascade, or are you just wasting time?

I’m willing to accept that Half-Life 2 came out six years ahead of Homefront, and that a lot of the accessible gameplay lessons it taught were learned…

…but taking my rose-tinted glasses off, I’m blowed if I can see many large differences between HL2 and Homefront. I’d have hoped my sense of humour here had helped ease this unfortunate truth through but it seems (to my disappointment) that even the enlightened readers of RPS are so determined to hate on this game that they can’t see reality for a moment.

Both HL2 and Homefront’s singleplayer modes are a completely linear slog through a series of scripted setpieces, with NPCs required to kick open doors and scripted events to clear paths. All HL2 has is the contrived physics setpieces and while I acknowledge the half-decade gap, I can’t deny being thrilled at a number of moments of Homefront.

I’m sure at this point some bright spark is writing a response to inform me that I don’t realize just how wrong I am, and that I need to play game X or stop being seduced by console Y to truly see the light. It’s at this point (which I dub ‘Z’) that I start to wonder if even paying attention to comments on internet articles it worthwhiles given the number of ignorant idiots out there.

(and yes, I’ve considered the possiblities of both someone calling me that ignorant idiot, and all the subsequent “yes well calling me out on calling you that” permutations etc etc etc)

• ResonanceCascade says:

This isn’t IGN, pal. You can drop the childish hostility and maybe then you’ll be worth responding to.

• Sabre_Justice says:

Homefront feels like Half-Life 2 because a lot of it was ripped off of Half-Life 2.

• metalangel says:

@ResonanceCascade: Given the hatred already swirling around for this game in here I felt I had to preempt all those smug comments.

• buzzmong says:

@metalangel

The difference between them is down to the details and craftsmanship. The set pieces in HL2 were varied and most importantly, interesting. Plus it had a decent plot held together by the NPC characters and the good voice acting/scripts. The characters themselves actually had personalities too.

Homefront however had some really bad scripted scenes and a really boring plot. The characters were almost your cardboard cut out generic chappies, leader dude was a well liked ex-soldier, woman was portrayed as a strong fighter but prone to soppy moments etc…
      I chortled at the “discovery of the mass grave” scene, and actually laughed when the PC and the NPC you were with jumped in to hide themselves. Utter cliche.
      It also had a plethora of not very good gameplay decisions in regards to the SP. Constantly spawning dudes was one of them.

You are right in terms of “what they do” with regards to them being linear slogs, but it’s how they do it that differs substantially.
      As an aside, HL2 never felt like you were slogging through, it had good pacing. Can’t say the same for HF.

37. icupnimpn2 says:

I thought development was being handled by Zeboyd?

38. Iskariot says:

I hope the next iteration of homefront will be more like a real full fledged game instead of an afternoon snack.
    No matter who creates Homefront 2 I am not paying for a game that last less than 8 hours.
    Mini games should have a mini price tag or be free completely.
    Homefront can now be bought for 9 bucks. I’ll wait until the price is 5. Seems right to me.

39. yourgrandma says:

Yep… we will never have another pc exclusive from crytek EVER again.

40. Shooop says:

According to CryTech I am one of the 30 people on the planet who bought the first Crysis. Liked it, but I haven’t touched a game from them since and this news means I’m likely to continue.

41. drewski says:

Never bought a game from Crytek. Won’t start with this one.

Will probably pick up the Crysis pack that’s floating around for small monies eventually…