One Red Light: F1 2011 Launch Trailer

By John Walker on September 20th, 2011 at 11:03 am.

The crowd still looks rubbish, and that's what's important.

“Codemasters: Birmingham” really doesn’t have the same ring to it as “Eidos: Montreal” or “2K Czech” does it? But despite its inauspicious origins, their F1 2011 is looking pretty snazzy. Also, from my non-F1-caring-about perspective, massively daunting. It reminds me of when F1GP2 came out in 1734, and my tiny brain couldn’t understand why you’d play a game where touching gravel once in three hours was a game over. But that’s because I’m an idiot of the highest order. Check out the launch trailer for the game below.

It’s almost climbed out of the uncanny value and onto the other side of photo-realism. It’s freaky. I would say the only weakness is the sense of contact between the tyres and the tarmac.

Coo lummee. The game is out on the 23rd. i.e. Friday.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. jacobvandy says:

I assume they specifically designed (and subsequently showed off in this trailer) the tires to lift off the ground a little bit on the inside of the curve. That’s what happens in real life, you just don’t see it because you don’t watch the races in super slo-mo.

2. Daniel Klein says:

0:23 into the video, the man’s right leg clips through the car.

I WILL NOT BUY THIS VIDEO ENTERTAINMENT FOR MY SENSE OF IMMERSION IS NOW IRREPARABLY DESTROYED.

3. jon_hill987 says:

Ugh. I saw GfWL at the end…

4. Nova says:

Very strange choice of music. That’s what I got from the trailer.

5. amishmonster says:

There are four lights!

6. Shadowcat says:

Coincidentally, I just got back from a screening of “Senna”. (It was pretty decent.)

7. iandrummer says:

I do think it looks lovely though. I also don’t think it is clipping, there is a space between that wing element and the main body of the car.

8. The Hammer says:

Wow, almost makes me want to buy a game of a sport I haven’t watched properly in ten years!

Pretty absorbing trailer all in all. I’d be a lot more interested in the games themselves if they had TV style presentation and – however banal it normally works out – commentary.

Yes, I’m shallow about these things!

9. Rii says:

I think I must be watching a different trailer from everyone else. The footage I’m seeing gives the distinct impression of being tied down by 2005 hardware.

10. Anarki says:

I am excited about this! You are right, a game where touching the gravel once after three hours meant game over would suck, which is why they give you up to 4 “flashbacks” where you can rewind and not mess up this time.

11. Untruth says:

Did anyone play 2010 on gamepad? Was it in any way playable?

I’d like to try it, but I presume it’s utter wank without a wheel.

• Rii says:

I’m sure a gamepad would be an improvement over the keyboard I tried to play it with.

<< has an X360 pad now

• jeffthewonderbadger says:

I played 2010 on one of those console toy things, and it was perfectly decent with the pad.

• Anarki says:

I played F1 2010 with a pad and it was great. I’ve recently bought a wheel which is obviously better, but pad is fine.

• paterah says:

Xbox 360 pad. It’s great for racing games.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

I thought it worked really, really well on a gamepad – played it on a friend’s 360 and had a good chuckle with it. I found it bloody awful on my wheel – far, far too easy. You had to work pretty hard to make the car lose it (with all aids turned off), no sense of weight transfer across the suspension (which was mirrored by the way the car handled – it acted as if squarely planted on all four wheels whatever the car was being made to do), and no real possibility to break traction either under acceleration or braking with the extra fidelity of pedals. That’s no criticism, however, as it’s clearly not a “hardcore” sort of game – it seems to me to be exactly the right level of difficulty for the inherent difficulties of playing a racing game on a gamepad.

If you’ve got a wheel, however, grab rFactor with CTDP F1 ’05/’06 and FSOne ’08, and give yourself a challenge. Best you can do for modern F1 in racing games at the moment.

12. Sheng-ji says:

It was out this morning for about an hour on steam in the UK before I guess they realised their mistake.

I can hear the cries of “Pics or it didn’t happen” already. So here you go:

13. Plivesey says:

Unfortunately, due to the lack of support for F1 2010, and the major bugs it had, I won’t be purchasing this at full price. I am worried that they’ll just put bugs they find in this off until F1 2012.

• Sheng-ji says:

Did you ever check out race department, the racing sim community – multiple fixes for every bug possible and plenty of mods too for 2010, and it won’t take long for them to come out for 2011 either. You may be able to get 2010 at a bargain price and using the mods patch yourself up a really nice game.

• Plivesey says:

@Sheng-ji, I wasn’t aware there was even a large community for the game, so that is great news. I do still have F1 2010, so may give that a go with the bug fixes and some mods. My initial experience with F1 2010 was promising, and I thought it was going to be the first F1 game that bettered Grand Prix World. Any specific mods you’d recommend?

• Sheng-ji says:

I really recommend the 2011 patch – it was an absolute masterpiece, every skin handmade especially for the mod, every patch remade for it – you miss out on one or two 2011 tracks and the cars use the 2010 models, no kers or DRS, but aside from that, you basically get F1 2011. It includes AI tweaks, tyre mods, graphics mods, weather mods, better sky’s… the list goes on and on… here’s some links:

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-mods/ – the mods forum

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-mods/55291-download-rddev-season-2011-total-conversion.html – the mod I recommend – you’ll not need any others with this one, it’s all in!

14. Vinraith says:

Is that title actually a pun based off a Wallflowers song from the 90′s? Because if so, bravo Mr. Walker.

As to the game: please don’t suck. That is all.

15. phobic says:

*Yawn*

Codemasters, please give up and let somebody else have the F1 license. Hell, even EA made a better simulator with F12001, 2002, 99 – 02. Primarily because it had the same engine as rFactor. F12010 was a horrible, horrible game. The physics were unpredictable, and not in a good way, like iRacing for example. No, they were just beyond arcadey and seemed to change the forces of nature at certain points just to fuck with you.

I suppose they’re developing it primarily for the lowest common denominator though, and those guys like to use their thumbs for racing. The last good racing game Codemasters made was Toca 97 :(

Where the hell is rFactor 2? /getoffmylawn

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

F1 is just about as big a global brand as it’s possible to get in this area. Make it like rFactor and it’ll do rFactor sized sales – that is, not many. Yes, if you plugged in a wheel then it was obvious that the game didn’t cut it as a ‘sim’, but if you’ve got a wheel go play CTDP/FSOne on rF.

Like I said a few posts back, I thought it worked pretty well on a gamepad. I didn’t play it for long enough to see all the apparent bugs in it, but thought that the handling of the car fit with that control method pretty well – driving the thing around on a gamepad was, in my opinion, ‘fun’. Again, bugs aside, I thought that they did a pretty good job with the rest of it menus looked smart, other elements (contracts, car setup) were fleshed out well for a casual F1 game that everyone could play. Take out the bugs and the actual product was, to my mind, pretty slick.

Although, yeah, where the hell’s rF2?

• paterah says:

I thought Codemasters did a good job with F1 2010. This year they improve heavily upon it with data from Pirelli and tire flex on the physics side as well as other adjustments. There are many options for the simulation and I will be surprised if rFactor 2 ends up better.

16. Tams80 says:

I shed a tear.

17. Monchberter says:

It’s not GRID2!

(Hoping calls for GRID2 become to Codemasters what Episode 3 is to Valve)

18. cheesetruncheon says:

Coo Lummee?

am I missing something here?

19. Jason Moyer says:

Waiting to see if they fixed the AI. F1 2010 was good fun for a light sim but the AI was horrendous, and winning the season opener by several minutes in a Lotus is not my idea of a good time.

• Sheng-ji says:

If you could win the season opener by several minutes on the hardest difficulty setting with manual gears and no driver aids on in a Lotus, you need to get yourself into a sim racing league, you could earn some serious money! Even sim drivers like Adam Eggbeer, Ivo Simons, Ryan Callan & Lee Palmer couldn’t achieve that!

Comment on this story