Releasario: Lego Harry Potter 2 Out In Nov

By John Walker on September 20th, 2011 at 5:09 pm.

Stupid wizard idiot.

Something I still haven’t done, that I was originally planning before Christmas, is to write a WIT for Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4. I know that sounds like a strange game to review long after it came out, and perhaps not quite in the target audience for RPS, but blimey, it’s a brilliant game. Certainly I’m a sucker for Traveller’s Tales’ Lego games, but not without an eye for quality. Lego Star Wars: great. Lego Indy: poop. And as it happens, I can’t stand Harry Potter. But Lego Harry Potter was a level above all the others, not only nailing the regularly repeated formula exactly, but also framing itself very differently. One day I’ll write it, and probably call it a “retro”. Indeed, I could time it with the release of the next game in the series, Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7, which Warner has just announced for the 18th November this year. Which is splendid news, even for a boy-wizard-hating git like me.

, , , .

1. Craig Stern says:

You’re not a git for hating Harry Potter. I once wrote a column for my college newspaper criticizing the series. Upon publication, it absolutely smashed the paper’s hate mail record. We had literally hundreds of letters from all over the world pouring in. A 37-year-old surgeon wrote in suggesting that I throw myself out of a window. It was pretty magical, in its own way.

…then again, I suppose we could both be gits. Also a possibility.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

That’s fantastic. Or, y’know, terrible.

The books are very interesting. Imperfect and unoriginal (I read and loved Wizard’s Hall by Jane Yolen when I was a kid) and rather mawkish in the end, but good, fun books.

The films are terrible. Awful. Hideous. Well, the scenery is okay.

As for the Lego games…for me, Lego = creativity. And while they’re decent action/adventure games for kids, there’s no creativity. It’s just an art style to which I’m indifferent.

• Orija says:

Haha, I need to read this. Any links for it?

• imirk says:

Link or Ban!

Tom De Roeck says:

Seriously? I hated harry potter before I saw a single movie which made the entire series worthwile: the third one, brilliantly made by Alfonso CuarĂ³n. He overhauled the entire series up to that point, and actually added on to the “universe of potter”. Too bad none of them were as good as the third one, because as it stands, it still is the best of them all.

• Orija says:

I’m perpetually surprised by the extent of agreement RPS users have on a wide variety of things.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

The books weren’t perfect, but calling them terrible? That’s going a bit overboard. I mean, that’s the kind of qualifier I usually reserve for Twilight.

Vandelay says:

Agree completely with Tom De Roeck. The third film is brilliant. I’ve enjoyed all of the David Yates films too, all pretty solid mainstream blockbuster films and better than the majority of the dross that rakes in the money, but the third still surpasses them all. Interestingly, I believe fans of the books hate the third film.

Actually currently reading the books for the first. Only just read the first so far and just begun the second. It’s interesting how close the first is to the film (which is probably the only really bad film of the series.) The structure works better in book form, but it is still flimsy and not particularly enthralling. The humour seems to come through more though, so it one ups the film version on that account.

• lijenstina says:

The surgeon probably uses a magic wand. Far better than the scalpel, concerning after operation scars.
      Albeit in this game they have, what looks like, glowing dildos.

• sinister agent says:

Harry Potter itself was vastly, staggeringly more successful than it really deserved to be, for how simply above average it was.

However, it paved the way for many outstanding childrens’ and ‘sort-of-for-children’ books, so I can live with that. Especially as the fad for adults reading and gushing about them has long since passed, so it’s easy to avoid if you want to.

Hell, Henry Tumour alone is worth putting up with at least four Happy Rotters.

• Craig Stern says:

I would absolutely post a link to it, but unfortunately my school paper has long since destroyed its online archive of articles from those days. This site has a snippet: http://www.hpana.com/news.17341.html

2. Metonymy says:

These Lego games are a testimony on behalf of creative freedom, youthful playfulness, and high production values, “but,” they have a long standing problem that just won’t seem to go away. The ‘menu’ that you reach the game with, is the most convoluted, opaque…abortion I’ve seen. It’s the Den Mother of bad UIs. The first time I ran into it, I got stuck trying to configure my system and controller for around 30 minutes. How do young children use this game, when it takes me several minutes to realize that one of the current options is highlighted? It’s like they’re trying to find every way they can to confuse the user, even up to the old classic: saving the game before it even starts.

I also need a penalty for failure beyond a tiny reduction in my point total, but that’s probably less significant, considering the game’s target audience.

3. Heliocentric says:

Where does LEGO Batman sit in the hierarchies?

Hodge says:

I really liked it – I’d go as far as saying it’s my favourite of the three I played (the others being the first Indy and the Complete Star Wars one, all on the Wii). It modelled itself on the camp 60′s Batman more than anything else which really suited the Lego format. Having a complete cast of characters which are actually worth playing helped tremendously too (unlike having to play as, say, Sherpa #2 in Indy or as Jar Jar in SW).

I know lot of people who thought it was one of the weaker ones though, so your mileage may vary.

• westyfield says:

As far as I know, John has some… interesting opinions on Lego Batman. Particularly one ‘Harleen Quinzel’.

• sinister agent says:

On a gargoyle, sulking.

• Groove says:

I’d say Potter, then Bats, then whatever, the rest aren’t anything special.

4. Al__S says:

Has Lego: Pirates of the Caribbean for the PC actually been released here yet?

5. BreadBitten says:

I never asked for this…

6. iainl says:

I’m now buying this instead of Skyrim. Yes, I know. I’m not joking, can’t play Elder Scrollls games with my son.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I should think not, not without all those mudcrabs. Terrible creatures. Good day.

• icupnimpn2 says:

crab on crab hatred is holding back your species

• felisc says:

ah, if i had a kid i’d only make him play Jamestown on the hardest difficulty with one eye closed. No diner if i don’t get a new high score by 10pm.

Malcolm says:

Hurrah! Lego Harry Potter 1-4 was an unexpected high point in the series – the whole magic angle worked really well with the usual Lego mechanics. Very little annoying combat too.