Cyanide’s A Game Of Thrones RPG Hints

By Jim Rossignol on September 21st, 2011 at 8:05 am.

They seem to be having fun.
Developer Cyanide and fantasy author George RR Martin seem concerned that people are confusing the Game Of Thrones RTS that their Montreal studio is making (and which is out soon) with the RPG being made by their French studio, which is out sometime in the far future. In fact, as Blues spotted, Martin has blogged about the difference, saying of his experiences seeing the first game: “Just to be clear. This is the RTS game, designed and developed by Cyanide’s studio in Montreal. A second videogame, an RPG, is also under development at Cyanide’s studio in France, but that one won’t be along for a while yet. The two games are very different, so please don’t get them confused.” Meanwhile, Cyanide have released the first fragments of information about the RPG game, which basically amounts to no information and a request that we read other blogs, as look at two screenshots. Hm. What we do know about the RPG is that Cyanide are saying it has a strong narrative focus, citing Planescape – Torment as an influence. Hm!

, .

1. free keno says:

Yes but the fact there are actually two on going games from the same brand is already confusing…

2. jon_hill987 says:

Ugh, and all this when I was still confused over that whole Scrolls/Elder Scrolls business…

• Sheng-ji says:

What madness is this. I heard that Bethesda outsourced the sequel to Oblivion to Mojang who are turning it into a trading card game. Well, I’ll be buying it based solely on the name, whatever happens because I’m so in love with the IP.

• diamondmx says:

What? I thought that minecraft was getting a fantasy sequel with wizards and horses and (if we’re really lucky) armour for those horses. I am so confused.

Can I make infinite dragons out of blocks or not!?

• Premium User Badge amishmonster says:

Dragon blocks won’t be in until 1.9.

3. MrEvilGuy says:

Sounds like anglophonian confusion to me.

4. Jimbo says:

There are a load more screenshots around for the RPG. Wait one…

Edit: Here, bottom of the page: http://www.factornews.com/news-32888-Interview_Cyanide_Le_Trone_de_Fer.html

• bill says:

That is indeed a lot of screens..

• furiannn says:

Looks interesting, if a little rough around the edges. And yes I know it’s still early days :P

• Basilicus says:

INTERESTING FACT*: Tolkien could only see in the colors of metal blue and crusty orange-brown. That’s why every fantasy game these days refuses to display any other colors. It’s a tribute.

*may not, in fact, be a fact

5. Chandos says:

Planescape – Torment is kinda ambitious even to be influenced by.

• BooleanBob says:

Confession time: Until I actually played it about five years ago, I thought it was called Planescape Tournament. You know, like Unreal Tournament. But on a Planescape.

• mike2R says:

I still think about it as Planetscape Torment unless I concentrate.

• Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

“Updated my scoreboard.”

• westyfield says:

@ mike2R
      Same. One mistake in reading leads to a lifetime of confusion.

• jon_hill987 says:

You mean it isn’t Planetscape Tournament?

6. AN_D_K says:

I want to be interested in these games, but I know that as soon as I do they’ll probably be axed.

7. Premium User Badge Okami says:

At last! An RPG where you can romance your sister! (While half your party members drown in the mud or turn out to be villains, while the main villain of the beginning of the game turns out to be a hero after all…)

EDIT: True fact: I read the first two books of the series and then bought the fourth one by mistake. It took me over a hundred pages to realize my mistake. By then I had gotten so used to all the plot twists and turns that I didn’t even raise my eyebrow when the death of one of the major characters was mentioned in passing (I guess it was described in more detail in the third part). I don’t think that there’s a writer alive who hates his characters as much as George R.R. Martin.

I stopped reading the series after that. While it is interesting, I got a bit exhausted by all the catastrophes and setbacks and plot twists..

• hungrytales says:

Well, it’s true in a sense. But still the guy is a fucking genius and you are missing A LOT.

• Werthead says:

The RPG takes place around the same time as the books, but apparently won’t feature many crossovers with the story. Which is going to be interesting as one of the characters is a ranger of the Night’s Watch with a wolf companion, which you think Jon Snow would notice or mention during his time at the Wall. So maybe it takes place a year or two earlier or is an alt-universe sort of story.

8. kataras says:

According to this interview in french (http://www.factornews.com/news-32888-Interview_Cyanide_Le_Trone_de_Fer.html) :

-its based more on the series than the book (they got permission to use the actor’s voices, likeness etc)
    -visual representation of the whole Universe is taken from the TV series (for example how the Iron Throne looks on the TV series)
    -animations don’t look good
    -game takes place only on Westeros.

and from the screenshots, I m guessing it has a lot to do with the Wall?

• Mad Hamish says:

In fairness though, the TV show does look amazing. Ya got a real professional, well realised and realistic world already visualised for ya. That’s half the concept work already done for you and an established fan base to boot. Though I haven’t read the books so I’m only attached to the series.

• kataras says:

I agree, I have no problems with the TV series. If they do a good open-ended story for the game that takes place in parallel to the major events of the books/series, I think it will be a nice change from the save-the-world crap.

• Mad Hamish says:

Yeah, same here. As much as I’m looking forward to Skyrim, it’s certainly not for the story. I have a real distaste for “chosen one saves the world” plots. It’s funny that the fantasy epic that’s most copied is Lord of the Rings, which is about a couple of regular joes outshining the chosen one and saving the world. Yet it’s the chosen one route that most fantasy seems to always take. Especially in games. Lazy writing I guess. Am I the only person who wants to play the Hobbit gardener?

• pipman3000 says:

if bethesda would just toss in some rape and grimderp violence they could have the best of both worlds just like good old dragon age

9. Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

Low-magic setting, with the character not being “the chosen one who will rescue the world” but rather someone desperately trying to stay alive. And combat being lethal and something best avoided rather than an endless hack&slash power fantasy. Please. That is what I want them to take from the books, not fan service inclusion of characters.

If you can play a fireball flinging mage, I’m passing on this.

10. arienette says:

One should sue the other on copyright grounds!

11. odd parity says:

New name suggestions to avoid confusion:

“A Real-Time Strategy Game of Thrones”
    “A Role Playing Game of Thrones”

12. Real Horrorshow says:

So is this supposed to be a tie-in game, or a real game?

• Bornemannen says:

It’s actually going to be a meta game where you role play yourself playing the Game of Throne RTS and every now and then you watch the Game of Throne TV series (hence the use of the actors voices and likeness etc). I am excite.

• Sheng-ji says:

Yeah, but I really hate the “Trying to find your snacks in the overloaded fridge before the temperature warning alarm sounds” Minigame

13. JonathanStrange says:

Ah yes, A Song of Ice and Fire, the only series of books I’ve ever stopped reading because they were just too damned depressing. I imagine if the rpg is anything like the books you’ll create your character and play half-way through the game before dying horribly in some soul-searingly terrible way, the game will then delete your saves, uninstall itself, and probably set your computer on fire as some sort of reference to the grim unfairness of reality.

George R. R. Martin seems to be a master at creating believable and likeable characters for the purposes of killing them later on. Problem I find is that I then really have little drive to keep reading, especially when I’m purposely distancing myself from any attempts to care about these characters with the knowledge that at the rate characters are falling in this book they’re very likely not far from the chopping block themselves.

Harumph.

• Zepp says:

That fat bastard should be stoned. How dared he kill my beloved Eddard Stark.

• Burning Man says:

I stopped reading very very early in the first book when that incestuous couple threw that little kid off the roof. It’s exactly as you said, George made him out to be the unlikely hero, played his character up really really nicely, then lobbed him off a roof. I gave up in disgust.

• Askeladd says:

Oh, I really like that. There’s no main protagonist. Makes the feel of the world even more realistic.
      And who said they are dead? Their legacy is with the living.
      You should really read on.
      All men must die. Valar morghulis. There is purpose.

• Werthead says:

The books aren’t THAT depressing. Try not to read anything REALLY dark (like Scott Bakker’s fantasy series, which makes ASoIaF look like CARE BEARS WITH SWORDS) or turn on the news every day.

As for the kid getting thrown off the roof (Bran), he aiten’t dead, and that event has huge ramifications for the story, the characters and the world. It’s an odd place to stop reading.

14. Premium User Badge bsplines says:

So, instead of finally showing how the RTS game plays, they are releasing information about the RPG? It doesn’t sound like they have much confidence in the first game….

15. wiper says:

“Cyanide are saying it has a strong narrative focus, citing Planescape – Torment as an influence. Hm!”

Hopefully they’ll actually have the scripts proofread by a native English speaker, as so often doesn’t seem to be the case. Of course, if they were after a native English speaking, francophone gamer who’s also a fan of Gurm’s series, there’s one sitting right here…

*looks plaintively in Cyanide France’s direction*

(which is to say, I face South with puppy dog eyes. My wall does not appear to be moved by this)

16. angramainyu says:

You say “Cyanide”, but all I hear is is “hey, I wonder if they will ever fix formation save/loading in Blood Bowl?” I think companies fail to value how easily they can lose future customers by not supporting their existing products.

17. kud13 says:

errm… Am I the only one who sees a lot of The Witcher in that sreenshot?
    right down to the UI

the low-fantasy setting with the protagonist merely trying to survive instead of changing the world fits too.

As for GRRM, character killling is his thing. to the point where after Book 3 it kinda loses its significance

Steven Erickson writes much more poignant sendoff scenes in that sense. and each one oozes classical Greek tragedy vibes all over the place.