Impressions: Path Of Exile Beta

By Adam Smith on September 22nd, 2011 at 4:08 pm.

it's a busier path than you might think
The entire internet has filled up with discussions, videos and arguments about the Diablo III beta this week. Just to even things out, I’m reserving this little corner to talk about a different line of hacking and looting RPG though. Path of Exile, which will be free to play at launch, is also in a playable beta state at the moment and I’ve been walking its desolate beaches with naught but driftwood to protect me. I’ve brought back thoughts.

Oh look, there’s an elephant in the room. Let’s introduce ourselves.

“Hello!”

“To play Path of Exile you have to be online and you can’t pause, even when adventuring solo.”

That was an abrupt yet informative elephant, wasn’t it? Let’s get this out of the way then.

Although Grinding Gear aren’t calling their game an MMORPG, you’ll always be connected to a server with other players. In towns, you can see them, chat with them, trade with them and join up with them. Once you go into the randomly generated wilderness, where the bulk of the game takes place, if you left alone, you remain alone. But you’re still connected and you’ll still be able to see people’s trade offers and requests.

During my short time with the beta I’ve been playing solo, although I’ve had plenty of tips from the very helpful community. If I play the full game, I’ll probably play solo, although the extensive PVP features sound like an interesting way to test out and challenge different character builds. The game seems to expect me to want to form or join a party though. That’s fine because I can ignore it and do things my own way, but I know plenty of people would like to take things one step further and play the entire game offline. The client-server structure is the reason given for not having a solo mode, so I don’t know how possible it is, but I’d be delighted to see support for offline characters in the final release. I don’t care if an offline character is doomed to be offline forever; if that’s the only option, fine. He’ll miss out on trading and partying but he’ll still have loot to collect and monsters to bash.

So we’re already linked in some terrible way to Diablo III, which I was trying to escape from. I originally decided I’d write about Path of Exile without constant references back to Diablo but that’s not going to be possible and it wouldn’t be particularly helpful either. Grinding Gear haven’t shied from alluding to Diablo in the game so it wouldn’t be sensible to talk about it without doing exactly the same thing. Let’s get out of the way then: Path of Exile is a lot like Diablo. From what I’d seen before I started playing, I was expecting an experience closer to Blizzard’s first foray into demonland, with the emphasis on a single underground dungeon and a quest into its depths. As is often the case I was completely wrong and it turns out to be much more like Diablo II.
I’ll get the similarities out of the way first before I move on to the differences, which are harder to discern but far more interesting.

First of all, there are the locations. They are mostly barren areas inextricably strewn with chests, barrels and monsters. Act one starts with the player washed up on a beach in the terribly unpleasant land of Wraeclast. There was a shipwreck and now the beach is full of bodies and the bodies are standing up and trying to eat the survivors. That’s a good thing because it means you can clobber them for experience and loot, and that’s why you’re here in the first place. Yes, there’s a plot about exiles being sent to a forsaken land, struggling to survive there, but really it’s all about filling up experience bars and finding nifty equipment.

When you create your character you will have to pick a class, although the entire skill tree is open to all six classes. The classes defer specialisms rather than tying the player to a distinct grouping of abilities, so if you want to create a dual-wielding wizardy sort, it should be possible. I went for the duellist because he reminded me of Inigo Montaya. The character selection screen is the first big clue that Grinding Gear aren’t so much trying to turn their backs on the Diablo comparisons as flaunting them.

Characters stand in a semicircle and when selected, step forwards so you can have a better look. It’s almost exactly like my memories of Diablo 2 but with more characters. I’m going to say this now – pointing out similarities is not a criticism. I like Diablo, the vast majority of people playing this like Diablo, that’s why we’re here. If it turned out to be nothing more than a reskin, then there’d be reason for disgruntlement. As it is, and as I’ll make clear, there are differences enough.

But what else is the same?

Identifying items is, town portals are, the stash is, the surly merchant and the conversation system both are. The conversation system might seem like a small thing to point out, but it’s identical in its presentation, except there’s no voice acting here. Holding down alt to find items is the same, champion monsters are the same, right clicking to activate a skill is the same, although there are a lot more skills, many of them passive.

Waypoints are the same too. Each new area has one, you find it, you can teleport back and forth. It’s useful and given just how packed with respawning enemies those areas become, I wouldn’t want to play without them. However, it was the waypoints, oddly, that almost made me crumble and admit to myself that I was playing Diablo II but with fancier graphics. I was using potions in the same way, slugging them down in the middle of a fight, I had the map overlay in the middle of my screen in the same way, I was even hitting the same keys to open up the various windows. Even the enemies for that opening area are similar, with zombies replaced by zombies and quill rats being replaced by weird crustaceans that shoot sand and grit out of their backsides, or maybe their faces. I’m not an expert on make-believe crab biology.

Instead of throwing up my hands and reinstalling Diablo II though, I furrowed my brow and persisted, trying to get past the surface appearance and mechanics to see if there was anything new underneath. And guess what? There is, there really is.

I’ve already mentioned the skill system, which I like the idea of, but I haven’t built enough characters or gone deep enough to explore it properly yet. Being able to combine skills every which way is, I think, a good thing. It means individuals will feel individual and, for the multiplayers among you, parties will be made up of varied groups. It’s not a case of a character simply being a duellist, he’ll be a specific duellist, with his own way of getting things done. All that is reflected in how characters appear in the game. That’s one of the things they’ve really sold me on. I like dressing up.

Seeing my duellist actually wearing them is part of the fun of finding increasingly robust hats and trousers. Path of Exile handles this particularly well by starting players off with shields that are nothing more than planks of wrecked ships and driftwood clubs. When I found a rusted helmet, it completed the look perfectly. I look forward to visually progressing from this ramshackle start to become a hero clad in legendary armour, wielding a sword that glows with divine righteousness and fury. Yes, I want all the numbers on my character screen to go higher and higher as well, but visual representation is important to me in RPGs.

The biggest difference I’ve come across so far is in the implementation of items though, and items, being loot, are at the foundation of the game. There are different tiers, just as in Diablo, but it’s the socketing that changes things. Yes, socketing isn’t new in itself, but it goes much further in Path of Exile, or at least that’s my impression at this early stage. The primary reason is that modifications, to drop into any free sockets on an item, drop far more often than in Diablo II and they seem to alter weapons in more dramatic ways. Within a couple of hours of starting, I had three different weapons, all modified with at least one plugin, and all with different uses. One concentrated on pure power, one was fast and frightful, and the other was a two-handed beast of a sword dripping with poison. They often have abilities activated as you would normally activate character skills, which makes me think much more actively about what I’ve got equipped.

Two swords, even if they’re both standard in every other way, might have a different combination of coloured sockets in them. That means it might be worth keeping both, seeing what shows up later, and then altering the swords in different ways, thereby ending up with two unique items. Same goes for armour. In Diablo II, I found myself sticking with a core set of equipment, switching it out when I found a better magic item. Here, I can see myself changing my tactics more and having a few alternative loadouts. If I don’t feel great about other things in the game, let it be known that I feel fantastic about the loot and in many ways, that is the game.

It all goes back to the social nature of the game as well. Trading is strongly encouraged and because characters are much more user-defined, you might find someone who really wants a swift, stabby shard that seems useless to you, maybe because it would fit well as an off-hand weapon or because his/her character does critical damage so frequently that it’s worthwhile.

For me, wanting to be a hermitty exile and go through the game solo, the social stuff is unnecessary. Being able to trade so easily is attractive, I’ll concede that, but I don’t really want a party around me. That said, I like Path of Exile a lot. The world is interesting, even though the individual areas can be a little bland at the moment, and levelling and gearing up already promises to be frighteningly addictive. While it won’t be as slick as Diablo III and I wish the camera was zoomed out further, it does look good. On top of that, none of it will ever cost you a penny unless you choose to buy cosmetic items and gestures, or want to transfer characters across accounts.

It certainly doesn’t feel like a bargain basement Diablo clone, which is precisely what might be expected from a free to play ARPG. The complexity of the skill and item systems alone make it worth a dabble, and despite my mild annoyances, I’ll definitely be playing a lot more. But I can already feel myself being distracted by Grim Dawn and I’ve not even had a go on that yet.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Khemm says:

The graphics feel more Diabloish than in Diablo 3.
    What a shame it’s not a SP game, I’d be all over it.

• Arkaniani says:

As in dated graphics? Diablo 3 has a way more interesting art style. This one is just bleak and “meh”.

• beloid says:

the screens don’t do it justice. looks great in motion

• mondomau says:

Also, it looks bleak because it’s intentionally similar to Diablo 2 (which was bleak!). It’s not ‘Meh’, your reaction is ‘Meh’.

Pedant, Away!

• Sarkhan Lol says:

It’s more like Titan Quest than anything.

• Zepp says:

All cool kids bash Diablo 3 now? Bland is bland no matter from what inspiration source it comes.

• DigitalSignalX says:

@CaspianRoach: Thanks for the link. This does look pretty sweet. I’m curious how they’re going to monetize it enough to cover infrastructure if it really takes off.

• lurkalisk says:

@Zepp

Part of the charm of the previous Diablo games, for me anyway, was the almost comedic bleak feel. D3 looks like it will utterly fail me in that way.

Also, I don’t know which screens you were looking at, but I wouldn’t call it bland. Dreary? Yes, but not bland.

• I LIKE FOOD says:

Diablo 3 graphics is made for kids!

• innociv says:

Everything about it is more Diablo/Diablo2 than Diablo3.

Diablo3 is more WoW than Diablo/Diablo2.

Path of Exile is more the true Diablo3 and Blizzard Diablo3 is just ugh.

2. Berzee says:

Hmm, I didn’t know this was F2P. (The no-offline-SP doesn’t sound so bad when you don’t have to buy the game =). Still slightly bad, but not as much.

(I wasn’t even able to get through Torchlight though, so I don’t think ARPG’s are for me anyhow).

• Khemm says:

@fright
      I’d buy it for $30-$40. I’m serious. I’m often inclined to pay more for well made single player games than for MP only releases. The latter I hardly ever buy because, well, they rely on big player bases to be playable at all. No community = money wasted.

3. CaspianRoach says:

Times mentioned Diablo: 17.

4. Zoonp says:

I really like the skill gem system. Reminds me of Final Fantasy 7 & materia.

• BeamSplashX says:

Eh, only two materia seemed to effect the actual equipment you put it on, and they were just different flavors of the same idea (Added Effect for statuses and Elemental for, what else, chocolate icing). Linked slots would be neat to have in more games, though.

5. zergrush says:

A shame they’re not letting many people on the beta, I’ve been wanting to play this thing for ages =(

6. Anthile says:

This looks eerily like Diablo 2. Hell, even the font of the gear descriptions and the colors look remarkably similar. If I didn’t knew it any better, I’d say it’s a mod with new graphics.

7. SirDimos says:

I’ve been in the beta for a couple of weeks now, and I have to say that I really like what GGG is doing. They have taken the hack and slash combat and loot-dropping system that made the diablo games great, and changed how a few mechanics work to make for a very unique way of building each character.

This game is definitely one to keep on your radar if you enjoy Action-RPGs.

8. Spoon says:

This looks more like a sequel to Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 does.

• Ataraktika says:

This is true. I prefer the gothic and realistic look over the slight cartoonish feel of Diablo III.

• LuNatic says:

Last time I checked, the real world had more colours than red, grey and brown.

• Kdansky says:

Last time I checked, Diablo 2 had insanely colourful enemies and backgrounds, to the point of being garish. But apparently, everyone forgot the yellow sand crabs, the red and blue ghosts, swaths of lightning and fire effects, the sanctuary, and basically anything besides the first half of act 1.

• I LIKE FOOD says:

Diablo 3 graphics is made for kids.

9. Blackcompany says:

I promised myself I wasn’t going to say it.
    So of course, I am going to say it: Where’s the rage over the always-online, no-pause nature of this game? Everyone screamed bloody murder about it with Diablo III – whether the article focuses on it or not. So why not this game, as well?
    Now let me take a more balanced approach. I too despise the always-online, everything-multiplayer nature of games these days. I expect an MMO to require a connection; its sort of common sense. But I wonder why I cannot simply have a good single player, or even co-op game, maybe with LAN support, without having to connect to someone’s server constantly. Why?
    At least with this game, its free. You are not paying a dime to play their game on their server. Unless you choose to do so, of course, and then you can pay for vanity items to support the game. No big deal.
    Is it a double standard to accept the always online nature of this game and rail against it in Diablo? I don’t think so. This game is free, hosted on a server and from the get-go we know it requires a connection. We are not paying to connect to a not-mmo that is, in reality, an mmo. With Diablo, we are first expected to pay a no doubt exorbitant price for the game itself (like between $40 and $60) and then still be forced to connect all the time just to play our own single player game.
    I am not happy about Path’s always online nature. But I might try it for free. I certainly will not pay $60 for a single player game, however, and still need to depend on my connection to someone else’s server to play it.

• KikiJiki says:

It’s probably the fact that GGG are genuinely involved with the community and aren’t charging you £30-40 for a game entirely on their terms. As you pointed out.

• PodX140 says:

As everyone knows I’m extremely against the online only nature of diablo III, I agree with the decision here, because, it is free and I sure as hell won’t not try it for that. But I also am fine with it because it’s not trying to set a prescedent. It’s a F2P online game, it’s nothing new. DIII is (maybe indirectly/unplanning…ly?) trying to set a new precedent (lets face it, ubi didn’t have this kind of drive and everyone hated them for it, as they blatantly said it was DRM) and that will likely lead to many more games with it’s online only requirement.

• kyrieee says:

@KikiJiki you think that’s why?
      I don’t. The idea of an online only game isn’t related to the price of the game. If you think not being able to pause is the worst thing in the world then it doesn’t matter if you paid for the game or not.

• Berzee says:

That’s true — if you’re going to have individually instanced dungeons, you should make them pausable regardless of whether it’s online or not. Even games like Age of Kings Multiplayer allow people to agree to pause the game, f’cryin’ out loud.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Perhaps because Path Of Exile didn’t have two previous iterations that were entirely playable offline?

• Shooop says:

Maybe because Diablo 3 is supposed to have a proper single-player mode?

• alinos says:

Easy it’s F2P.

That is all that matters.

At no point have you paid to own this game and play it. As a result your purchased property isn’t being revoked when you don’t have an internet connection.

D3 on the other hand has a price tag.

And sure while you’ve got the internet you have a 60 dollar game.

When you don’t have the internet however you have 10Gb of files that you paid 60 dollars for but can’t use.

If D3 went F2P, with an online only version i’d be much more accepting. Especially since then the onus would be that they need you online to try and make money off you, as opposed to they have made their money and won’t let you offline because they are control freaks

• Hematite says:

Also, Diablo III killed the sequel to Diablo 2 that the single-players wanted. Now there will never be an in-franchise continuation of the gameplay a lot of people liked. These guys just made an online only game, not a big deal.

• kyrieee says:

You pay for access to the service, there are lots of services you can’t use when your internet is out. If you pay for items in the F2P game you can’t access those either. The ludicrousness of someone refusing to play D3 because it’s online only and then playing a F2P Diablo clone instead is just too much for me. Every time you’re playing that game you could be playing D3 and when you’ve invested 50 hours into your character and your internet goes out you’re not going to be more upset if you’re playing D3 than if you’re playing the F2P game because it’s not about the money, it’s about the time you invested into the game.

It’s perfectly fine to disagree with and be disappointed by Blizzard’s decision, but it’s silly to pretend that Diablo 3 being online only is any different from other online only games. It’s clear that they consider it an online game you can play solo, not a single player game you have to be online to play. If you have a different perception of the game and refuse to play it because of it then that’s your problem.

• MadTinkerer says:

“Where’s the rage over the always-online, no-pause nature of this game? Everyone screamed bloody murder about it with Diablo III – whether the article focuses on it or not. So why not this game, as well?”

BECAUSE IT’S FREE TO PLAY. Path of Exile doesn’t demand ~$60 for a non-existent game mode. Apples and oranges, regardless of what the game looks like and how it plays.

10. Zanchito says:

The game is free and I can play with people from the US and Europe at the same time, so no problems about always online. If i’m gonna pay 50€ for a game, it damn well let me play however I want to.

But I prefer having regular single player (no online, can pause and save anytime). Torchlight is a day 1 purchase for me. Until then, Titan Quest it is!

11. Cryo says:

Can somebody explain what is the point of “identify items” mechanic in those types of games?

• KikiJiki says:

You don’t know what properties a magic item has until you identify it, and you can’t equip it until you know those.

As a slight aside, I really love what is being done with vendors in the game – there is no gold or direct currency, you have to trade in currency items like town portal scrolls, identify scrolls and other items that do things like reroll mods on an item or reroll sockets.

There’s a surprising amount of new mechanics in PoE that this article (sadly) doesn’t comment on in any depth, if at all.

• Cryo says:

I know what it does, but why does it exist? Seems like silly pointless busywork.

• Malibu Stacey says:

pointless busywork

and/or cash sink. Nothing more.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Why do we wrap presents?

• karry says:

“I know what it does, but why does it exist?”

It breaks up the gameplay into sizeable chunks. A good thing, all’n'all.

• PleasingFungus says:

In Roguelikes, which the original Diablo was a… well, ‘clone’ is unkind, but that’s more or less what it was – of, identification was much more limited, and there were many more things to identify: not only weapons and armor but scrolls, potions, staves and wands… This made things far more interesting: you could try to identify potions by throwing them at enemies and seeing what happened, guess what an item was through experience (a phial? The Phial of Galadriel!), and, if things got really desperate, just start reading off unidentified scrolls and quaffing unknown potions.

In Diablo, yeah, it’s basically unwrapping presents.

• FalseMyrmidon says:

It’s a D&D throwback.

12. Craymen Edge says:

I’m much more willing to accept an always online requirement when I haven’t been asked to shell out for it up front.

I generally find F2P games are unsatisfactory by design. They’re either too lacking in content without payment, or very repetetive and grind-y, but this sounds interesting enough I’d give it a go.

13. kyrieee says:

It’s online only?
    Quick! Everyone tell us about how you won’t play it.

• alilsneaky says:

It’s f2p ,what do you want them to do?

Diablo 3 on the other hand you already pay big bucks for before you even get to play it, so not having an offline mode for laptops on the move/army (scoff)/people who can’t afford expensive broadband inet just means those people will look elsewhere.

Their (blizzard’s) loss.

• MadTinkerer says:

I might play it. I generally don’t play F2P, but that’s because my personal library is ridiculous. I own about half of all games on Steam (depending on whether you count DLC as individual items), plus dozens-to-hundreds of games on many consoles. As it is, I haven’t even played Modern Warfare 2 yet, even though I own it. And back in the day I played Diablo 2 for hours and hours.

But Diablo 3 is currently a non-consideration. Which puts Path of Exile above it on the priority list.

14. karry says:

Wow…this is the most unashamed Diablo 2 ripoff i’ve seen yet. The inventory panel is just…

• Hematite says:

beautiful!

• DigitalSignalX says:

True this. As Adam points out repeatedly, the similarities are blatant and in your face. Part of me thinks that’s lame, and that the devs were being lazy by just copying an established formula outright and then adding in a few twists with skills and updated graphics. Another part though, REALLY wants to play this. Sort of like how a racing game is still just a racing game no matter how you re-brand it, perhaps a “diablo clone ARPG” is what it is and should embrace what works.

15. AiglosCelt says:

it is absurd to compare the always online aspect of this to that of diablo 3. This is a FREE TO PLAY GAME, whose monetization depends entirely on the sale of aesthetic upgrades so you look cooler than the next person. The online aspect is entirely necessary to the games survival, whereas d3′s is only necessary to sate kotickgreed.

I’ll be playing this extensively over diablo 3. Played both betas, and this is by far the better game, even without the online issue entering into it.

• kyrieee says:

Saying “I’m not going to play Diablo 3 because it’s online only” and then playing a Diablo clone that’s also online only doesn’t make a lick of sense. The only reason people are raging about Diablo 3 is because of expectations established by previous games. Your argument could be applied to Guild Wars, but there’s no public uproar about Guild Wars being online only despite it costing money.

• Zepp says:

“tl;dr its very nature as a f2p makes always online necessary, and you are an idiot if you begrudge ggg this” – calling other people idiots is what morons do ;)

• alinos says:

@kyrieee

GW has no singleplayer though.

The ability is there to have NPC’s replace real Player’s. but it is still for the most part an 8 player game.

Coupled with the fact that, it didn’t remove a bunch of feature’s like modding and solo play that the previous 2 games had and that for many people gave the game a long shelf life.

I’ve never played Diablo online period. Played it via Lan and that was the closest i ever got. Online simply held no interest for me. But apparently im in some minority that blizzard doesn’t give a shit about

• RandomGameR says:

Of course GW has single player. Here’s a comprehensive how-to-guide:

1. Log in.
      2. Play, but do not look at the chat window.
      3. Avoid making friends at all costs. They will betray you.

16. Squishpoke says:

Aren’t we supposed to be upset when someone blatantly copies another game?

Or does this get around that stigma by being “Free to play” for reals, as in, it is not possible to purchase ANYTHING for this game?

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Then we’d be upset at every game.

Oh wait.

• paterah says:

Think about what you just said. You just described more than half of the games.

• Squishpoke says:

From the looks of the screenshots, it isn’t a simple “another RPG with common elements of the genre”.

It’s fucking Diablo.

It’s as if someone took a favorite game of yours (for the sake of example, Mass Effect), and directly copies the game in both style and gameplay, and only changes a few minor things.

So, according to our example, our new game would essentially be Mass Effect, except that all the characters have different names and the weapons look different.

This is what I see regarding the screen shots provided in this article. A blatant copy of Diablo, not a spirited successor like Torchlight.

• Stepout says:

@Squishpoke So Torchlight gets a pass in your eyes why? Cause it looks cartoony?

• SirDimos says:

Been playing the Beta for a few weeks now, and it’s actually one of the more unique Diablo clones that I’ve run into. Torchlight takes way more from Diablo than Path of Exile does.

The art-style is very similar, and the same looting mechanics are there, but there are a few key differences that set path of exile apart.

For example, how you skill and gear your character is very different than Torchlight or Diablo. The economy is also done quite differently as GGG has decided to get rid of a gold standard entirely. Another way GGG is trying to spice things up is by planning a variety of different leagues (basically servers) with different rulesets upon launch. You can find out more about the leagues at: http://www.pathofexile.com/leagues/

There are also a few other minor things that they’ve changed (such as how potions work), but the ones listed above are the major differences.

The screenshots are incredibly deceptive, as the art-style is very similar to Diablo, but having played most of the big Action RPGs (Diablo, Torchlight, Titan Quest), I find that it is one of the least similar Diablo clones out there.

17. Ergates_Antius says:

In the games the concept originated, you could equip items you hadn’t identified, but you’d not know what the magic effect were. As well as positive magic effects (fire damage etc), you could have curses that might reduce the amount of damage you could do (or increase the amount you recieve) but would also (most importantly) prevent you from unequipping the item until it was blessed.

This made equipping an unidentified item a bit of a gamble – do I risk it? Or do I just hold onto it until I can identify it.

18. Renfield says:

This, er… Looks like Diablo II, which I am pretty happy with playing still.

I guess there’s always a market for a ‘let’s do Diablo II all over again’ tribute game, in the same way there seems to be a market for ‘let’s do BG all over again’, but I’ll pass.

19. yiqifeifei says:

China-made from high quality low price, to protect the credibility of the online mall, I believe you will not miss it!

20. TsunamiWombat says:

I gotta be honest, I took one look at this, googled “Diablo 2 Resolution mods” and got my discs.

Lets see if Windows lets it run.

• Red_Avatar says:

After having played Diablo II for at least 1000 hours, after having seen them make the game too hard with patches because of all the uber-gear floating around due to bots I can never get myself to enjoy Diablo II again – I love the game but it’s just wasting time now. I mean, if you’ve played the entire game from Act 1 to 5 over at least 20 times, where’s the fun in doing it again? This game is just great because it’s like Diablo II but improved and with a new setting so I’d have to be a fool not to try it.

21. mda says:

“I went for the duellist because he reminded me of Inigo Montaya.”

Awesome <3 :D

22. dellphukof says:

Is there any game sounds or music, or is that part of the game still in development? This looks pretty fun though. And you weren’t kidding about the skill tree. (holy cow that’s huge!………. insert “that’s what she said.” here. LOL) Looking forward to the rest of your play-through.Use the scrolls of wisdom to identify items. Taking the time to read item tooltips is generally a good idea at the start of a game.Haha yeah ;) I was quite excited to start playing, hence why I didn’t notice that until part 2. ;)seo service