Unlevel Crossing: The Bridge

By Adam Smith on September 22nd, 2011 at 11:42 am.

this really is disturbingly like my dreams

I missed this video for The Bridge during my roundup of the most interesting IndieCade finalists and I’m sorry that I did, which is why I’m going to share it now. There’s not a lot of information on the game yet, not even a website, but I think it’s safe to say it will have a bit in common with And Yet It Moves. The trailer shows that the game world rotates and then frames the device rather poetically: “The world is much larger when every wall is a floor…” I’m already smitten by the Eschery design and you can be too by watching the trailer, right here. Thanks to Indie Games for bringing my attention to this one.

There may well be a great deal of imaginative puzzle design to go with the style but right now, the style’s all we really have to go off. But what style it is. Fans of melancholia and monochrome solitude must be rejoicing the world over.

IndieCade kicks off October 6th so hopefully that week will bring more details on this and some of the other delicacies on offer. My eyes shall be peeled.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Iokanaan says:

maybe the entire game is an etching? looks nice. admittingly, I’m a fan of ‘melancholia and monochrome solitude’. I rejoice right now.

2. Shadrach says:

Hm, reminds me a lot of “The Cat and The Coup” – same guys?
    Looks interesting, and I like the music.

3. Hodge says:

It’s like Bowie at the end of the Labyrinth.

I never got on with And Yet It Moves, and that trailer is on the agonisingly slow side. I love the art style though. Looks like one for the ‘could go either way’ pile.

4. sakmidrai says:

It looks nice but… too many 2D indie games… Can’t they think of something else? And fun? It also reminds me of AYIM. Oh well, the artwork is beautiful though.

5. CMaster says:

It’s got a strong art style, but mechanically it’s been done many, many times before – dozens of flash games use this to some extent, and even a fantastic, (free) 3d implementation.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Oh, nice game!

• bill says:

Sarah’s run is awesome… though i’m not sure I’d closely compare it to this.
      It was the game that finally got me to install Unity…. and was well worth it.

It was also when i discovered that in-browser games don’t work well when you have 48 tabs open.

6. TNG says:

M.C.Escher with Braid visuals and And Yet It Moves gameplay?

7. Pani says:

AYIM was my surprise of the last bundle and my goodness did it capture my imagination. Thought that they animation were a little clunky but it seemed to just work. This looks like it has the possibility to be a bit more smooth and polished. Will be interesting to see how this ends up.

8. N says:

looks retarded.

9. Berzee says:

“My eyes shall be peeled.”

I have this really unfortunate malady where I tend to interpret that phrase literally. :-(

10. Grey_Ghost says:

I think I just experienced vertigo.

11. mechtroid says:

I’m friends with the person who created the game (it’s just him and an artist), and I just finished playing the latest version last night. I asked, and he’s okay with me talking about the game. That said, I want to clarify a few things:
    First off, while the mechanics are similar to AYIM, the game is much more a slow, thoughtful puzzler than a platformer. It also has a few more gameplay elements than what I’ve seen in AYIM. He actually had never heard of most of the other games that use this effect, it’s one of those simple ideas more than one person has thought of.
    Long story short, it’s a game worth taking a look at, and one I expect most of you will enjoy.

12. Tuco says:

“Fans of melancholia and monochrome solitude must be rejoicing the world over.”

Not really me, and to be honest I see very little in this trailer that makes me think about melancholia.
    But on the other hand I’m really a huge fan of Escher, and that works too.

13. Josh W says:

This is the sort of game that’s hard to comment on, because my natural responce is a sort of approving nod. Yes this is good, and the sort of thing I’d like, but it’s taking a path that is very natural and well worn. That’s no bad thing; so long as it’s done well it could be very entertaining, it just means I’ll give it, “nice cake” or “fairly witty short story” levels of enthusiasm.

(You could argue that I might as well not have said anything, but I’d rather not respond only when something is terrible or amazing. You know, add some midtones.)