Ben There, Dan That Gets More “Special”

By John Walker on September 23rd, 2011 at 12:41 pm.

Hi fidelity.

Size “Zombie Cow” Five Games have (oh, come on, we all know it’s just Dan Marshall)… has just announced that he’s made a special edition of the game that first brought him to fame, Ben There, Dan That (exclamation mark). Explaining it as “George Lucased”, the new version addresses his anally retentive need to go back and fix the past. I may be reading between the lines of his announcement here. But the good news is the new, tidied version, along with the 16-page making of e-booklet, Lowering The Tone, and a new storybook explaining some back history of the characters (they had back history?), is available on a pay-what-you-want basis.

I want to pay minus £50,000 for it, and I expect the money to be paid directly into my bank account on receipt of the game. Although the slightly confusingly worded email the barely literate developer sent us does seem to suggest free won’t be an option. Because, well, he needs to eat.

The important thing to note, of course, is that the game is bloody brilliant. And you should play it. (If you already own it via Steam, your copy with soon magically update into the newer version.) So what’s in the newer version? Quite a lot, actually, for what was a little indie adventure made by two idiots:

FEATURES:
New swishy graphical enhancements throughout! Ben There, Dan That! is now exponentially more gorgeous and sexy to look at.
A stunning jazzy “Sam and Max: Hit the Road” homage-y soundtrack! Music that will caress your ears and grate infuriatingly as you fail to solve a puzzle.
More sound effects!
Some better signposting for the puzzles people didn’t get, or the objects they couldn’t see!
The more-readable font from “Time Gentlemen, Please!”
Fixes some boring Windows 7 issue some people were having

SPECIAL BONUS MATERIAL:
EXCLUSIVE: A special 16-page eBook candidly telling the whole story of the game’s creation for the first time; “Lowering the Tone”
EXCLUSIVE: An extra special never-before-seen treat: a non-interactive video storybook presentation lifted from Dan and Bens’ diary entries, explaining the backstory as to exactly how Dan wound up dead in a jungle tied to a length of twine in the first place. Hear Dan and Ben speak for the first time in this fully voiced, and expertly illustrated six-and-a-half minute extravaganza.
EXCLUSIVE: All the ‘cut’ music that didn’t make it into the final game. Hear unloved and unused renditions of your favourite Ben There, Dan That! ditties.
EXCLUSIVE: Posters to print out and hang over your living room window, or to slap on your desktop.
EXCLUSIVE: Never-before-heard audio recording of Ben stomping around his flat cheering his own name, for the ending sequence. Truly there has never been a more honest depiction of the lengths indie developers have to go to for their art.
EXCLUSIVE: Dan and Ben ringtones – give your phone the Dan and Ben once-over with these exclusive musical ditties.

That doesn’t sound too bad, does it?

, , , , .

1. Inigo says:

he needs to eat

Bloody pansy.

• jonfitt says:

What ever happened to Ben? I think Dan ate him and unless this update makes some money he will kill again.
      Now *that’s* #indiedevelopment

• yiqiwanga says:

When you try to shop online, choose low-cost good quality products, you must not forget to come from:http://tinyurl.com/3wvabn3
      a professional online wholesalers and retailers. Thank you for your support.

2. Chizu says:

Do us steam owners also get the EXCLUSIVE! SPECIAL BONUS MATERIAL aswell, or just the updated version of the actual game :V

Otherwise though; Nifty.

• danthat says:

I haven’t heard back from Steam yet about updating it, but I’d assume it’s fine that you’ll get all the extras. IF YOU REALLY LOVED ME AND WANTED TO HELP THOUGH you could buy another copy today and save all that tiresome ‘waiting’.

• Chizu says:

I could, but I need to eat too! Even though I am not making a games or nuffin!

Deepo says:

I bought the special edition and copied the new installation folder over the old one in Steam. Then I set it to not update the game automatically.

So now I can play the new shiny edition with Steam time tracking and all that other awesome stuff, and Dan can eat as well \o/

• jonfitt says:

I bought it direct from ZombieCow. Does that mean I can download the updated version?

Gap Gen says:

Say more words.

4. N says:

Special as in retarded.

I actually kind of liked the game btw.

5. Film11 says:

Mandatory “But I liked the older graphics/sounds/everything else” post.

Anthile says:

That’s the beauty of video games: you can always go back to set right what once went wrong™ with only a minimum of hassle.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Dan shot first!

• michaelar says:

More importantly, Ben *never shot at all*. Bloody Special Editions.

8. Groove says:

Looks wizzy! If only I had the time I’d replay this.

Nero says:

I’ll wait for the 3D version.

10. Tom4J says:

I only completed this last week! … was fun though, now i just need to bang my head repeatedly upon my desk until i forget all the puzzle solutions.

11. Eddy9000 says:

This was the best point and click game I’ve ever played. Amazing that a two man team can make a game where pretty much every object interaction has a unique and funny response, and then you play that Telltale drivel with their big team and tons of cash and everythings “I can’t use this here”

A puzzle involving Hitlers bloody feacle matter as well. Fucking brilliant. Does the updated version have chuckle egg as a playable minigame?

• Mistabashi says:

That’s actually the sequel, Time Gentlemen Please you’re thinking of there, so you may actually find you have another slice of point-and-click goodness to sample.

Both awesome games though, I seem to recall the first one being a bit funnier in general, while the second one was more structured and had better music and visuals. I’ll deffo be buying this re-vamped version anyway, if Dan Marshall deserves anything it’s being able to eat! (and also make awesome looking games about nicking stuff).

• Matt says:

If you really want to play Chuckie Egg you could just play it here http://www.repton3.co.uk/chuckieegg.aspx

12. rustybroomhandle says:

Awesome – just don’t give in to fan demand for stuff though. I mean if 10000 rabid fans insist the protagonist should wear a ninja codfish hat, it does not mean the hero must wear a ninja codfish hat.

Or maybe he should – if I can imagine what such a thing might look like.

13. Optimaximal says:

John, techincally, minus £50k is not ‘free’, ergo Dan has to honour it! You can buy me a TV at the same time as you buy yours with the windfall for clarifying this!

14. Pazguato says:

Ouch!

Loved the old font a lot more!!! less-readable? I think it was just fine and lovely reminiscent.

Dan, is the elevator song included in the ringtones? If not, take this as a petition! :)

15. mdxlin says:

sell and Collect game items, Welcome to http://url7.me/kVh4 query

16. Inglourious Badger says:

Sweet. I remember randomly laughing out loud at work the day after making Ben (or Dan?) pick up a urinal cake in the belief it would prove to be a useful inventory item and it eventually dawning on me the next morning that it wasn’t actually any use at all and he’d carried a urinal cake around in his pocket for the rest of the adventure! Priceless

(I’m talking about IN THE GAME, btw)