Mods And Ends: Prophesy Of Pendor

By Adam Smith on September 23rd, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

They're mounted. They have blades.

Mount and Blade: Warband is about as fine a Mount and Blade game as I’ve played to date. I prefer it to With Fire and Sword but that may be partly because I’ve not really given the newer title a chance because I’m playing Warband with two lovely mods that I can’t imagine doing without. The first is the simplest of mods, all it takes is a rejigging of configuration files, so if you like flames to go with your swords, you’re in luck. The second is Prophesy of Pendor, which is far from simple and altogether brilliant.

Let’s get the little one out of the way first, shall we? It’s a battle size modification that makes combat much more impressive by raising the number of people running around killing one another. I have to admit, when I first played Mount and Blade I didn’t think I wanted more people involved in the fights. It’s entirely possible to have large skirmishes in the base game, but once you’ve seen hundreds of tiny men flailing away at one another, it’s more natural to want more than less. The only problem is that computer’s don’t like tracking all those little men and, more importantly, all their little bodies once they’ve been killed. Thankfully, turning off corpses means you should be able to enjoy all the fun of the fight without worrying about stuttering graphics at all.

That’s a little mod to make things larger. The next and most important Warband mod is Prophesy of Pendor, which has been brought across and enhanced from the original Mount and Blade. I haven’t played the most recent version but that’s because it was updated less than a week ago. This isn’t some half-baked bunch of tweaks, it’s a total conversion that receives more care and attention than the majority of full-priced major studio releases. Install this and you get a whole new world with its own backstory, heroes, factions and equipment. Personally, I’d prefer something historical done with the same depth but I’ve not found anything of that sort to match Pendor’s quality.

All the work that’s gone into creating the world would be impressive enough, but there’s more. If you liked Warband, most of the things you enjoyed are now better. Events, quests and the economy have all been bulked up and the AI is much more fun to play with in battles.

It’s a complete package and has kept me playing Warband far longer than I otherwise might have done. The detailed backstory is hackneyed but you can ignore it if you want to, and hackneyed or not it makes Pendor a fully fleshed out world. The factions have history to them and the dialogue between NPCs reflects that.

If Prophesy of Pendor was a standalone RPG, I’d thoroughly recommend it. It’s taken more of my time than games I’ve paid full price for. As a mod, it’s an outstanding piece of work that must have taken a staggering amount of man-hours to bring to this state. And it’s still growing.

Next week, something more action-packed for the itchy trigger fingers among you.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Davee says:

Warband mods <3

Singleplayer games really wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for the BattleSizer. Been using it since the first version for vanilla M&B, no matter what other collection of mods I happen to be playing.

Talking of which, I'm working together with another TW community member on a full dismemberment mod kit. It should be able to work both in MP and SP (but SP will have proper physics to it). Heads, arms, hands – you name it. They will roll down the slopes. Or you can have some fun playing soccer with your former enemy, it will be up to you.

2. Richard Beer says:

This does make me want to dive back into Mount & Blade, which I haven’t played for years, and pick up the latest one.

However, when on Earth am I going to fit it in around Real Life, Dead Island, Deus Ex, Gears of War 3 (sorry) and, imminently, BF3, Skyrim, AssRev etc etc.

I need a Real Life mod that adds an extra 3 hours to every day.

3. Unaco says:

I have a game going with Prophesy of Pendor currently. Couldn’t say what version (started maybe 5 months ago), but certainly not the latest update. It is really rather good. It becomes something of a new game, with the new objectives and victory conditions. Also the Knightly orders, the mercenary companies, the different Raider factions with their own agendas, and all the incidental touches really do help to bring the World to life.

I will finish my campaign, sometime, and maybe check out the update… but I’m trying to get over a Mount&Blade addiction currently. I can sit til the sun sets and comes back up again, constantly saying to myself “just one more battle”.

4. Gonefornow says:

I played the heck out of the original M&B ProphesyohPendor and I agree it’s the most Impressive TC of M&B I’ve played.

I got the complete M&B pack for cheap so now I finally got to try out Warband and wFaS.
    Recently I’ve been shooting musket ball sized holes to looters and alike in wFaS and it’s a lot of fun.
    35 musketeers on two rows.
    Fire on my command.
    Wait till you can see the whites of their eyes….
    And FIRE!!.

It never gets old.

I thank you for bringing up this PoP Warband conversion though.
    Now I know what I’m gonna do for the rest of the day.

5. Ringwraith says:

Nice to see Prophecy of Pendor getting some coverage, as it certainly deserves it, and I always fial to describe it to anyone simply due to its massive size, but now I can simply direct people to this article, so your work is appreciated good sir.
    Although I wonder if you can still buy some of the really rare equipment that is only used by the crazy-powerful troops of some of the wandering armies, as I once bought one of the demonic, nightmare-style horses, complete with glowing red eyes from a random town’s shop. Although I stuck to my shiny plated horse unless I really needed the (rather broken) scary-looking horse, as I preferred the shininess a lot more.

6. tigershuffle says:

I havent tried PoP with Warband yet…….so thanks for the friendly prod.

I too prefer ‘historical’ fights….. tried 100yrs war mod and a couple of others like 1257.

The problem with Warband is there just are sooo many great mods out their. :)

Will start Warband again….now the summers gone and the dark nights are drawing in :)

7. gibsnag says:

This is an extremely timely article, as I installed M&B Warband just last night (after playing a reasonable amount of M&B a while ago). I’ll definitely install the battle size mod and possibly the TC as well.

Would people recommend playing a game of vanilla Warband before the Prophecy of Pendor TC, or is it better in most ways?

• Ringwraith says:

Play the base game first, as Prophecy of Pendor is significantly harder than normal, particularly with starting out.

• Gonefornow says:

From what I’ve gathered Warband SP is an upgraded M&B SP.
      One extra faction, additional characters, more stuff but basically the same.

Prophesy of Pendor changes the factions, characters and more like a TC should, but also add an extra layer of additions and such.

So if you still haven’t gotten bored of the good ol’ Swadians vs Vaegirs with Marnid and padded leather (like I have, playing since .707) I’d give Warband some time.

Otherwise it’s TC time.

• Archonsod says:

If it’s the original M&B you’ve been playing you’ll want to play Warband native at least until you get used to the altered attack animations.

• ryth says:

I would highly recommend installing the “Diplomacy” mod along with the battle sizer. It keeps things pretty true to vanilla but allows lots of little enhancements that make life easier. (Ability to talk to village elders and guild leaders from the main village/city menu, ability to make automated patrols around your castles like the AI can, and a slew of other options.

8. lunarplasma says:

Go go Adam!
    I’m playing Prophecy of Pendor too. :D

9. Vexing Vision says:

Will it run on an older rig?

The issue I have with Warband mods is that most of them crash left and right for me because they exceed the original’s game RAM and graphic requirements big time. And my RAM is a bit tight.

So, can I run this with a meager 2 gigs? (As opposed to, for example, the Floris mod pack.)

10. methodology says:

I think I put more time in PoP than any other game i’ve ever played. That mod really should be released as a standalone cause it easily doubles maybe triples the worth of m&b and warbands. Those of you that haven’t tried it yet, be warned in that it is very difficult compared the vanilla and other mods but also after you play this you’ll never be able to play vanilla again. Everything it adds blends perfectly into the m&b gameplay and you’ll find yourself missing it in every other mod.

11. Doctor_Hellsturm says:

Sorry to ask this (this is simply because of bad RSI): Is M&B playable with a gamepad? (yes, i have xpadder).

• D says:

Sorry I think it’s mouse support only. It would be a pretty tough task to set it up to work with a controller, that said, if you can map the trigger buttons to the mouse buttons and the one stick to relative mouse movement, you might be successful.
      Check out autohotkey if you’re not afraid of programming, for example here’s a quick google result that will help some of the way: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/scripts/JoystickMouse.htm
      Feel free to send me a private message if you decide to take this path.

12. Dominic White says:

While Prophecy of Pendor is probably the best ‘total conversion’ mod, the equivalent ‘enhancement’ mod for the game is undoubtedly the Floris Mod Pack. It prettifies, historically buffs and generally expands the vanilla campaign mode a ton, adding a vast raft of new features and perks.

• Coins says:

I disagree. I tried Floris’ mod pack, and I’d be a filthy liar if I said it didn’t contain a ton of stuff, but it’s so messy. All the new unit trees have odd names, obviously done for the sake of realism, but it really doesn’t work nicely. It really is just a haphazard collection of stuff crammed into a single mod with little thought for streamlining.

• neoghoul says:

having not played the two recent updates for floris, i can’t really give an qualified answer. Nevertheless I hold the Floris-Mod in high esteem, for you can choose a basic-package and the full version, whereas both hold little to no redundant features- imho- and they all just enhance the vanilla game. Floris himself states , he made the mod foremost for his own use.
      With such an abundant amount of mods it comes as no surprise that not everyone likes it.:)

I prefer it very much over Pendor. That may be owed to me prefering easier single-player games, which is pretty much not the case with pop. Though it’s been a while since my last pop-session…propably should give it another try….Perhaps with little tweaking with TweakMB….

13. Nameless1 says:

Totally agree, It’s one of the best and I’ve spent coutless hours on it.
    Ragequitted after not being able to stabilise as a king :D

Also chack out Brytenwalda out, still a little bugged but It has so much stuff in It It’s hard to believe

• F4T C4T says:

Brytenwalda is fantastic in scope if a little buggy (and slow running on the world view). It also has the historical edge you might enjoy from the sounds of it Adam.

• Moth Bones says:

+1 for Brytenwalda, even though I’ve barely scratched the surface of it. Feels like proper Dark Ages fun.

14. rollermint says:

Prophecy of Pendor is really really good. For a good few months, I played nothing but that mod. I’ve to quite force myself to stop playing coz if not, I won’t get to play my other games.

15. AlonePlusEasyTarget says:

It’s on my mods watchlist but didn’t download it yet. This article just come at the right time to convince me to download the mod as soon as possible.

16. Bostec says:

Any other download links for that mod? I’m getting 50kb/s max and my first download stopped for some reason.

• Fiatil says:

Try the alternate link they give in the forum thread, the gamefront one. Works much better.

17. malkav11 says:

Bah. Corpses are half the fun of a big battle. I understand that modern games often can’t cope with hundreds of dead enemies and bullet holes and whatnot persistently onscreen, but I wish they would.

18. sidhellfire says:

I would also recommend cRPG mod with Strategus in mind. Not actual total conversion, but the multiplayer aspect of the game is filled with juice.

19. Mechanicus_ says:

I bought With Fire & Sword while it was on Steam sale a while back; I had a tootle around in it and it does seem fun, however the lack of mods for it is a bit rubbish, given how much they improved Warband – is there any ETA on mod support yet? Get the feeling it has been left to die (oh, my wasted £2.50!)

• Archonsod says:

The WFaS mod system was released about a month ago. There’s some minor tweak and change mods already out, but full conversions obviously take longer. Although the way the devs are talking about forthcoming updates I doubt anyone really wants to start yet til the major changes are out of the way.

20. abremms says:

I was on the PoP team breifly as a tester a few months back until my work schedual made anything but the most casual gaming a thing of the past. Thier team is stunningly professional, I was really shocked at how well organized and managed things are.

thing is, PoP3 (the version discussed in the article) was only being worked on by a small handful at the time (might have changed since), with the vast majority of the teams resources going towards PoP4, a fully fledged sequel that I am anticipating nearly as much as some of this fall’s major releases.

21. Adekan says:

Sadly M&B: Warband runs so poorly on my machine that i’ve not touched it since a week after buying and installing it. The game absolutely hates my Radeon HD4650 even though the previous had no issues with it. After about the 10th desktop crash in a row I gave up. I did pick up PoP and Battlesizer immediately though, as those were two things I could not do without from the previous game.

22. Bfox says:

Has RockPaperShotgun done a mod report on Underhell yet? (Mod for HL2)
    I had a blast playing it, the gunplay is great and exploring the creepy house you start in is so fun.
    Will only take a couple hours to fully complete in its current form but time well spent:

23. I LIKE FOOD says:

Id rather play this than Diablo 3 – wich sucks n has graphics for kids and wow gays.

24. bluebogle says:

I’ll so be checking these out. Warband is a game I keep coming back to over and over anyway. Mixing it up a bit would be great. I have to say though, I could not get into Fire and Sword at all. May go so far as to say I hated it.

25. mp84 says:

As a current member of the Prophesy of Pendor Team I would just like to say thanks for the kind words about our Mod.

With Prophesy of Pendor 4: Legacy in the works as speak we hope continue to garner new fans to check out our fabulous mod and naturally in the meantime everyone hopefully continues to enjoy PoP 3.xx for now. :)

regards,

MP
    PoP’s Communications Manager

26. Lone Gunman says:

I really need to give this game a go.

27. TemplarLord says:

Version 4 please.

28. Davie says:

It’s a amazing how much Warband mods increase the longevity of the game. I was playing Brytenwalda for eight months after I got sick of the vanilla version. It’s good stuff.

Although The Warhammer mod is what I’m currently most excited about. Modders, help this guy out so he can finish it faster!

29. Barman1942 says:

So YOU’RE the reason why I’m only getting 30kbps off of MBRepository ;-;.

30. Moonracer says:

any chance this mod has huge armies of the undead roaming the map to fight (like Fire and Steel)? Because That is some goofy fun.

I can’t believe I never even looked for a larger battles mod on my own. That will greatly alter the feel of the game! Epic battles get kind of lame when either side ends up spawn camping the other.

• Unaco says:

Hmmm… I played a lot of Fire & Steel, but don’t remember hordes of Undead. Near invincible Vaegir Legionnaires and other solidiers, Vakyrie and female fantasy armour as well as some other fantasy tropes/cliches, entire armies of Camel riding raiders, Horned Destriers. But no Undead. Was maybe an older version.

Prophesy of Pendor doesn’t have any Undead (that I’ve seen)… I think there maybe were some in older versions, but the one I’m playing hasn’t thrown any up. There are things like the Snake Cult, and Shamans, and the plotline is partially supernatural though.

Edit: My mistake. It’s BLOOD and Steel I’ve played a lot of. It has no Undead.

• pipman3000 says:

Blood & Steel added undead in a recent update and they’re exactly as boring to fight as they are in every single other game.

31. Wedge says:

I just wish M&B Didn’t have 3 totally separate versions, none of which are readily compatible with eachother on the mod front…. checked my library and I have the first and third one, but not the second somehow…

• Nameless1 says:

The second one is the best, unfortunately for you ^^
      It deserves Its cost 10 times, I assure you.

32. pipman3000 says:

This mod is really fun if you shamelessly cheat (or import your berserker character from Blood & Steel) :)

• pipman3000 says:

(Blood & Steel is an awesome mod except for the stupid bikini armor BS the author decided to add because he’s a horrible dork)

33. tigershuffle says:

Just read the history/manual part of PoP …….look in the download.

Wow………take my hat off to the guys. Inspiring stuff.

• Saxondragon says:

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you are having a fun time. There is a great deal there and as you play, more will become apparent.

Kindest regards,

Saxondragon/Jim Landes – Prophesy of Pendor Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

34. Fiatil says:

Does anyone know if the later versions of Prophesy of Pendor have managed to fix the weird memory leakey/performance bugs? I’ve played PoP for the original mount and blade and warband far far more than the originals and I love it so much, but as of the last version I have (6+ months old I’m sure) I’m still unable to play it on high settings without getting crashes all of the time. Warband runs just fine on max without the crashing, and I understand that PoP adds tons of awesome stuff and it’s a mod, but just curious!

• Saxondragon says:

Yes, we have. The issue turned out to be the way the game engine handles .ogg sound files. It was a problem accross all mods. The issue has been addressed.

• Fiatil says:

Hooray, that’s great to hear. Thanks for the reply, keep up the good work guys!

35. Fel1 says:

Guys, PoP3.5 has been released with tons of new content (textures, musics, quests…). If you like previous versions you’ll love it, and if you didn’t… You’ll love it! :]
    Check it out!