Found Footage: DXHR The Missing Link

By Alec Meer on September 26th, 2011 at 9:35 am.

The ferries I've been on have always been horrendously brightly-lit. This looks far more relaxing

The kerrrrayzeeeee hi-jinks of Adam ‘Elbows’ Jensen are set to continue very soon, with the impending The Missing Link downloaderised content injection. What mad scrapes and hilarious misunderstandings will our man with the facially-implanted sunglasses get into this time? Well, let’s have a little look, as Eidos Montreal’s Lead Narrative Designer Mary DeMarle narrates a five-minute taste of the new, ship-bound corridors, staircases and security control rooms Elbows is due to explore.

I can only apologise for the presence of Xbox controls in that video. I bet there won’t even be any Xboxes in 2027, just thought-controlled tablets. And PCs. Of course PCs.

, , .

1. Askeladd says:

When can I buy this?
    More DLC?

2. Sirico says:

Augmentations disabled still has arms, commit or don’t bother

• Johnny Lizard says:

Hardcore DX1 challenge: Lose both your arms on the first level and play through the whole rest of the game without any arms.

• YanDaik says:

should i say that i was disappointed in new Deus Ex?

• LionsPhil says:

Hardercore mode: Lose both your legs too. (This is relatively easy to do, since you only need to fall the right distance, whereas arm loss may involve getting a co-operative dog to selectively eat you, or some precision demolitions.) Enjoy JC suddenly standing up every time he initiates a conversation only to drop back down the moment it finishes because the poor old engine never could handle dismemberment properly.

Hardestcore mode: Reproduce the effect from the “Nobody” section in Doug’s anti-walkthrough and complete the game from there. (This is probably impossible, because the game becomes a little unhinged if you turn yourself into Morte.)

Incidentally, it’s quite possible to escape the universe in Invisible War without even moving any crates or using super-jump legs (which are rubbish in it). I don’t think the map designers considered the astounding power of mantling.

• Magnetude says:

Breaking both my legs down a hole in New York and not being able to reach the ladder back out was the moment I learned the importance of keeping multiple save files.

• coldvvvave says:

Every time someone complains about how HR didn’t have reactions of NPC’s to stealing their stuff or jumping on their heads and such, I suddenly reminded of how I had to crawl back to the start of Airport level without legs( Anna blew up in close proximity and I didn’t have medpacks) while friendly UNATCO agents were cheering me up with “good job agent” and such.

3. Baka says:

That horrible turning speed at 3:15.

Other than that, it sounded like it will really take a place at a particular moment in the story, so if we already made it through the game, we have to play up to that point again? Considering they want us to “continue our playstyle”, a premade char for that seems unlikely. Also, I hope that 5 hours of content won’t cost the typical 15 bucks.

• Hulk Handsome says:

There will be an option to jump straight to the new content from the main menu. I’m guessing they’ll just throw a bunch of praxis points and such your way to deal with that.

Nero says:

I never asked for this.

5. Zaphid says:

Needs an “elbows” tag

Looks good, though I’m pretty sure there will be another location, otherwise the 5 hours of content seem a bit too optimistic

6. Zepp says:

Cool, he can disable lasers with dead body but he doesn’t mind leaving it next to the sec camera. :P

• LionsPhil says:

He seems to crawn right into its field of view while it’s even facing that direction to open the door, too. Hyper-super-easy-demo-video-mode?

7. coldvvvave says:

Before someone calls someone else a “weaboo” I’d like to ask a former someone how is it that he knows so much about Metal Gear Solid games without being said ”weaboo”. Thank you.

• Bull0 says:

They’re great games (well, MGS, MGS3, and the second Portable Ops one are great; 2, 4, Ac1d, and portable ops not so much). Yes they were on dirty console toys but when you can afford to vary your diet, I fail to see what the harm is. Enlightened home of the brave that this is, maybe someone can elucidate for me without defaulting to tribalism and base insults

• Jazz42 says:

I will never understand why people adore Bioshock but dislike MGS2.
      It’s essentially the same story just better told. Granted the gameplay may not hold up today but at the time it was fantastic.

• Magnetude says:

Jazz42: I’m sorry but I can’t think of any similarities between Bioshock and MGS2 beyond the *spoiler* mind-controlling the player character into becoming a super soldier plot twist, and I guess being set on an isolated facility in the ocean. Otherwise they’re both totally different and totally excellent.

• Jazz42 says:

so no similarity whatsoever then…..

• JackShandy says:

I only played the first part of MSG2, so I must have missed the bit where you explored the ruins of a objectivist undersea utopia.

And, conversely, the bit in Bioshock where Andrew Ryan is possessed by his implanted arm and steals a giant robot.

• Jazz42 says:

….So the whole storyline being similar with regards to the Player Character in Bioshock and Raiden in MGS2 is completely irrelevant?
      I obviously missed the part where Bioshock was just about an underwater utopia gone wrong.
      -_-

8. kikito says:

“Because in Deus Ex, the choice is always* up to you”

*Except on bosses.

• rayne117 says:

*And the fact that you still have objectives that must be completed.

Sinomatic says:

Do people play with the yellow outlines turned on? I know they’re there by default (and the objective markers too for that matter), but I couldn’t stand it.

• Unaco says:

They are on by default… unless you play on “Give Me Deus Ex” difficulty, in which case they are off by default.

Sinomatic says:

Hence my saying, “I know they’re there by default” ;)

I’m genuinely interested to know whether anyone could stand playing with them turned on in the easy/normal modes. Looks bloody awful to me.

Stijn says:

It saved me fromn agonizing moments of pixelhunting and considering my hardcore eye implants it even made sense in context, didn’t bother me at all.

• Grygus says:

I thought I wouldn’t like it but when it was on by default I gave it 15 minutes. At the end of that it wasn’t bothering me, so I left it on for the entire playthrough. Like Stijn says, I found several things I wouldn’t have otherwise, and it is consistent with the fiction.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

First time through I played with it off (Deus Ex difficulty).

Second time through I decided to try with it on. I ended up liking it well enough, but it did ruin any sense of discovery. I enjoy searching for well-hidden bonus loot, so when it’s all lit up it takes some of that fun away. Like a hidden room in the sewers which you have to break the wall to reach: I walked past it umpteen times on my first time through, only to find it highlighted huge and unmistakably—and disappointingly—on my second time.

Third time through I left it off again. I like it better that way.

• PopeBob says:

It would be one thing if the DX:HR world was entirely manipulatable, but it isn’t. Some cardboard boxes can be lifted, others are part of the backdrop. The world is cluttered and full of things that are entirely stationary and will remain so no matter what you do. Deus Ex didn’t have this problem because the locales were fairly clean polygonal planes with nothing to confuse the eye from an item. The glow, while a bit overdone, makes it possible for you to play the game without feeling like an inept twat fiddling around with background items that don’t “physically” exist in the game.

10. CaLe says:

I preferred playing this with a controller. Blasphemy, I know.

• HelderPinto says:

Loads of people do.

I personally, only play with the Xbox controller on the PC when I play console ports, for instance, I played Resident Evil 5 with a controller.

But DeusEx:HR is a PC game, so I’ll stick with mouse and keyboard, but I’ve heard it plays really well with the controller too.

• Jazz42 says:

I play with a controller purely because I don’t like being hunched over a keyboard on my laptop.

11. Zogtee says:

Don’t really fancy them taking away my toys, but weather effects could be nice.

12. abigbat says:

Looks brill, very pleased at the length and engine upgrades too (I wonder if the latter will be extended to the game as a patch?)

13. YanDaik says:

I want old Deus Ex back. Where truly choice was up to you.

• godgoo says:

It’s ok, they’ve not taken it away. And if you’ve lost it I imagine it’s pretty cheap nowadays.

14. Nallen says:

So they’ve just lifted the entire Tanker section from MGS now?

• Unaco says:

Yes, but they’ve added in the one thing MGS lacked… Interactivity. See, Deus Ex isn’t just one long, unskippable cutscene.

• JackShandy says:

Oh yeah, I remember when Metal Gear Solid featured the first boat in games. What a glorious day for the medium that was.

• Jazz42 says:

Really?
      Old complaint with very little merit is old…

• Nallen says:

I am a huge fan of both games but I have to say it’s jarring at times. That screen shot looks like a section about 90 seconds from the start of MGS2. Clearly MGS was a big influence on ‘how to stealth’ in DXHR and the developers are fans, but I am surprised they went with something so evocative.

15. Avenger says:

I like how they go “The choice is always up to you” and they completely shit on it by bringing unavoidable boss fights who you need to kill with heavy weapons regardless of your build…

• JackShandy says:

Heavy weapons are near useless, the stun gun gives you a stun-locked path to an instant win.

• Unaco says:

I like how in every DXHR comment thread, people keep banging on about the Boss fights that make up about 0.5% of the total game, and are pretty much the only fault in an otherwise tremendous game… Oh no, wait. I don’t like it. It’s tiresome, it’s old, it’s all pretty much been said. People should probably just get over them.

• Magnetude says:

Plus they’ve said the DLC’s boss fight was made in-house rather than being outsourced, and will have non-lethal and stealth options. So yeah, I’m gonna trust them on this one, they’ve clearly learned their lesson.

• Grygus says:

Small flaws in a perfect surface stand out more than larger flaws in an imperfect one. People complain about the bosses mostly because they are jarring and terrible, but also because there isn’t a whole lot more to really complain about. In a way it’s a compliment.

• Avenger says:

I didn’t say it was a bad game. I wouldn’t bother commenting if I thought it was.

It is just unbearable to see they are still going with the “the choice is up to you” angle with a straight face when clearly it is not always up to you.

And the stun gun? Have you even played the second boss fight? She takes like 15 hits from that and barely gets hurt. Nobody in the right strategic mind would want to waste 15 men worth of ammo on a emo hooker.

• Avenger says:

Correction. It is exactly 25 hits… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mmsuMESpfc

16. godgoo says:

The biggest graphical difference I noticed, aside from the weather was the blacks seemed correct, which would be amazing. Maybe it was just my GPU or monitor but the contrast seemed all wrong in DXHR, a distinct lack of shadows/ shaders in places (running on dx11, everything up on full on a gtx 560).

Stijn says:

[reply fail]

18. Lagwolf says:

Well at least the “take away all your stuff and make you escape” level is a DLC instead of part of the game. These levels normally annoy me to no end. Would have preferred another hub for DLC instead of this oh well.