Guild Wars 2 Takes To The Podium

By Alec Meer on September 27th, 2011 at 11:07 am.

But will there be levelling up?

Guild Wars 2 lies in a strange place between being something of a man of mystery and having been on show for so long that our eyes have crawled across most every element of it. A lot of the promises being made are conceptual or may rely on idealised circumstances, but nonethless people are being won after dramatically: most recently, it won game of the show at the Eurogamer Expo. So when do we all get to try it? Well, a closed beta has been promised before the end of the year, with an open beta to follow and then a release date dependent on the success of that.

For now, perhaps the best you’re going to get is TotalBiscuit’s substantial videoing (a good 40 minutes, all told) of his high-level play sessions at the Expo – it shows off some the more ambitious mechanics as well as plenty of day-to-day beast-slaying. He seems very impressed indeed, for the most part.

Here’s some adventures as a high Level Sylvari Necromancer:

And here’s a spot of PvP manbashing, from the point of view of a Norn thief:

I met Mr Biscuit at the RPS post-Expo drinks, and I can attest to the fact he speaks exactly like that in person too.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Faceless says:

“A lot of the promises being made are conceptual or may rely on idealised circumstances…”

Err, that’s not really true any longer, is it? Most of what was promised in blog format has been delivered to the game, although their continued plans (such as the multiple guild system) are yet to show up in-game. So, it’s an overlap of promises yet to be delivered and promises already delivered.

• d34thly says:

I was going to pre-order this based on my friends recommendation, I now realize that It’s just easier to lose that moron friend. Who keeps playing these dress up my virtual barbie games anyway? don’t answer, that was rhetorical. I have nothing against peoples sexual preference, I just wish people were more honest about what they prefer to swallow.

2. povu says:

It’s been a while since we had a Spotlight on Biscuit. ;)

• Fede says:

Yeah, since Quintin left, basically.

• Xercies says:

Quinns left me wanting some Biscuit…and now we have none left :(

• Askeladd says:

This doesn’t feel like a spotlight for TB.
      It’s more like RPS is doing what it should.

3. WMain00 says:

NCSoft already has my wallet.

4. arienette says:

I found many pleasant surprises at Eurogamer Expo, but GW2 was the best game by far. Very excited.

5. Auspex says:

Only game I could be bothered queuing for at Eurogamer (they let too many people in there). It was good fun I’m going to buy it with my money.

• Chalky says:

It was quite a queue, but totally worth it :)

TB’s gameplay videos are the best out there for GW2, so glad he’s doing more.

Recently uploaded but not included in the article is some elementalist PvP footage from him:

• Chris D says:

There’s yet more from TB including a video in which he tries to take on an undead dragon single handed as an Asura Guardian. Only part 1 up at the moment.

6. Bull0 says:

Oh well. Can you post some text about this soon? I’d be interested to read more about it – I’m a bit in the dark with guild wars 2. I can’t watch videos where I am. I know – I’ll find related articles by tag and read those. Finding out that it won best of show at the weekend has piqued my curiosity.

7. Dawngreeter says:

I will play this like a motherfucker. It’s the only thing keeping me from getting cryogenically frozen until World of Darkness MMO comes out.*

*Not a factual statement.

8. Sepulchrave76 says:

I’m surprised that it took him so long (and he sounded genuinely surprised) to figure out that he could cast whilst on the move. Is this really something that most MMOs do not offer? I hardly play any, but this one looks staggeringly good

• Faceless says:

Most don’t allow it, and those that do often accomplish it through shabby mechanics.

But to be completely fair, there are some skills in Guild Wars 2 that will not allow movement. For example, you can fire your shortbow while on the move, but a longbow will require stationary offence.

• Askeladd says:

You haven’t even seen half of the movement that is possible in GW2.
      He was only concentrating on narrating, instead of figuring out how to play the class to its fullest, but it’s no surprise this game has its challenge.
      TLTR: He was bad at playing, but that was expected given the circumstances.

• Sepulchrave76 says:

Thanks for the explanations guys. The more fluid movement and combat is the primary reason why I’m already sold on this game

• Screwie says:

Also it should be noted TB is mistaken about the right hand side of the skill bar being fixed. See those little “up” arrows above each of the hotbar icons? That’s where the other skills are found.

His videos are still very enjoyable regardless.

• Grey_Ghost says:

@Screwie
      It was driving me mad that he didn’t check out the other possibilities for those skills, especially on the Necromancer.

• tyren says:

@Askeladd

He was also sick. I imagine that didn’t help his concentration.

9. Fneb says:

Shameless pimpage: I had a go on both Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic at EE and blogged about my thoughts here.

• Sepulchrave76 says:

Cheers Fneb, sounds like you had a lot of fun with it

10. Taidan says:

If we could post images directly, I would merely leave the classic Fry “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY” pic and leave it at that.

Sadly we can’t, so I’ll just have to pretend.

• Askeladd says:

Posting images would only help in decreasing the quality of this site. So let’s just pretend.

11. dandy-pandy says:

The game looks depressing, atleast for me, i mean even guild wars 1 had more life in it, the npc-s and mobs are lifeless here, environements also, the map isnt corelated with the compass , you walk on green area on compass, its dark and gloomy in the “real world”

these years of waiting for guild wars 2 gave high hopes, not only for myself but i think for other people as well, i hope they work on it , because these videos are depressing, and no, it’s not cause of that cynical brit rambling about, it’s the game..

• Faceless says:

Err, in case you’re not in the know, Sparkfly Fen is an area in Guild Wars 2 that is infested by the undead. Do you want colourful meadows and milk maidens frolicking in them?

Go watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MzZyZ-ty8

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hbv8WoBbC8

And then realise that MMOs shouldn’t have too many NPCs, because come launch date, those areas will be swarming with players.

• FriendlyFire says:

Sorry, what? Fixed NPCs giving out walls of text and boring fetch quests are more lifelike than this? Empty battlefields with only you, a few useless friendlies and the same mobs at the same place every time you jumped in the instanced world are more lifelike than this?

Did we play the same GW or watch the same GW2 clip? As much as I liked GW1, there’s just no comparison. Remove your rose-tinted glasses, they’re making you look stupid.

And when has GW1′s map matched the world more than approximately? I can still quite easily recall cursing the map in Cantha, and as far as I can tell it’s much better this time around. Your claims are entirely unfounded.

• Cryo says:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug mate.

12. Sinex says:

I think that Deckard Cain is really Sean Connery’s distant predecessor.

• Askeladd says:

It is SIR Sean Connery.
      In the old times you’d have been lashed for that!

13. Malibu Stacey says:

Paging Wulf to new Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet thread in 3…2…1…

Brace for impact with wall of text.

14. 2late2die says:

I really like the look of that PvP – much more dynamic than the usual stuff it seems.

15. Punizher says:

played both Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR but for me GUILD WARS 2 was way more more than SWTOR, just a shame GW2 will not come out for a few months.

Still getting both but GW2 was amazing fun to play!