Orc, Thanks! Says Rise Of Isengard

By Jim Rossignol on September 27th, 2011 at 2:09 pm.

This image reportedly illustrates one of the new legendary weapons. Fancy.
Speaking of MMOs, Turbine send word that LOTRO’s expansion, Rise Of Isengard, which sees the level cap raised to 75, and adds some familiar locales and characters to the line-up, is out today. Free-to-play adventurers can now adventure freely in Dunland, the Gap of Rohan, and Isengard itself. Fun times are to be had with Saruman The Betrayer, Grima Wormtongue, and other unpleasantmen. There’s also a 24-player dungeon in which you can “Face the ancient evil of Draigoch”. Mmm.

Watch the trailer below!

, , .

1. mrjackspade says:

Obligatory.

2. DainIronfoot says:

It is amusing how the “not film art style at all, nosirree, doing our own thing” is now borrowing heavily from the films (i.e Uruk-Hai armour designs). Shame most of the rest of the art looks like standard fantasy arms and armour.

• Choca says:

Might have something to do with the fact that Turbine was pruchased by Warner Bros. (which owns the rights to adapt the movies) last year.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

This is hilarious, considering NONE of the armor looks one bit like stuff from the movies. Even the Uruk-hai are designed differently.

In fact, people have been complaining more than usual because they want movie stuff in the game and Turbine keeps flat-out saying, “No, we’re sticking with the books for inspiration.” Hence why every character from the books is actually authentic, as opposed to some scraggly bearded Aragorn or a bearded Boromir.

This is exactly what makes the game what it is, so your wooden nickel comments really carry no weight in this pot shot attempt.

• DainIronfoot says:

No need to get angry boyo.

Nevertheless?

You honestly think this games art is any more lore accurate than the films? I’m not sure I recall descriptions of spiky bows and overly ornate, impractical armour in the books m’self. The film art-style may not be 100% lore accurate (plate armour, curvy swords, blah blah blah, boring) but it at least looks better than 90% of fantasy artwork, which is what this game looks like. Huge pauldrons galore.

I really don’t remember there being descriptions of characters beards in the books, but more power to you if there is.

And back to the case in point, you can’t really deny the fact that the uruk-hai armour shown in this vid is inspired by the films. Especially the helmets.

skalpadda says:

I know you don’t like spelling nitpicking in comments but I’m too lazy to send an email, so it’s Isengard, from the Scandinavian “gård” or “gaard”, rather than guard.

• MadMatty says:

Yeah its Isengaard ffs

• Dozer says:

As in “They’re taking the hobbits to Isengard!”

• Dreamhacker says:

“-gard, -gard, -gard, -gard!”

But I have to say the Trololo-song overlaid on the fall of Saruman is even better. :)

4. caddyB says:

I don’t really know how good this game is. Is it worth getting into it until Old Republic comes out?

( yeah after the nerfs it only takes a few hours to clear firelands on heroic, being the nolifer that I am, boredom sets in )

• DrGonzo says:

I found it to be overwhelmingly boring. Wow had me addicted for a month or so, and I loved Guild Wars. But couldn’t get into this at all.

• Creeping Death says:

Where as I’ve been playing LotRO since release, love it, and was bored out of my mind by my attempt to play WoW. Meh, different strokes and all that…

If you are really curious about the game there is no reason not to give it a shot. It’s f2p now so it’ll cost you nothing but time to try it out. And considering you are talking about mmo’s I’m guessing time isn’t the biggest debilitating factor here.

• Obc says:

yeah i’d also like to know to if LotRMMO is worth checking out? right now i don’t have much time to commit to heroic raiding in wow thus how good is the questing and low level dungeons (if there are any) in LotR?

• Choca says:

The gameplay definitely feels old and slow but it’s still one of the few good MMOs out there.

• Xercies says:

Loved it! One of my favourite MMOs, a massive world to explore, good story quests and quests that allow you to explore the world. Good grouping but some classes you can solo with. Just a very atmospheric MMO to be honest. Get it!

• Moth Bones says:

If you like Tolkien it’s worth a go now it’s F2P. I played for two years when a sub was required, but that’s mainly because I had a great Kinship; I reckon I’d have stopped after about six months otherwise. Some of the areas have lovely artwork – the first glimpse of Rivendell is a highlight – but I thought it got too grindy when the Moria expansion came out. Plenty of my old Kin still like and play it, particularly some of the raids.

• moondog548 says:

dungeons (and skirmishes) start at lvl 20 (and many of them scale to cap) and are excellent.

Durkonkell says:

Shouldn’t that bow have some kind of string on it? That’s something that really bothered me in Dragon Age too.

• chabuhi says:

Apparently animating bow-strings in-game is show-stoppingly difficult … I need a couple-more hyphenated-words here.

I grew to tolerate it in Dragon Age, but I always thought about it whenever I played. I know, I should suspend my disbelief and have some sympathy for the devs, but it is more than a bit immersion-breaking (one last hyphenation!)

Durkonkell says:

I can’t be terribly sympathetic with the developers in this case as World of Warcraft manages to have strings on bows, and it’s not exactly a new game…

With that said, if anyone has seen any developers posting about why it’s so hard, I could perhaps be persuaded to be more sympathetic. It might be incredibly hard and Blizzard tasked 10 developers on it for six months to get it working :P

6. Joof says:

I love this title pun.

7. Eclipse says:

is Isenguard a pun or an error? because it’s repeated on the main article as well.

*sits and wait for someone to link “they’re taking the hobbits to Isengard techno remix”

8. Commander Gun says:

“Free-to-play adventurers can now adventure freely in Dunland, the Gap of Rohan, and Isengard itself”

Actually not quite. To venture in those areas, you need to buy the Rise of Isengard expansion, the Mines of Moria expansion and the Siege of Mirkwoord expansion.

Llewyn says:

Technically, you only need to buy Isengard, as the first two can be bought with points earned in game. Admittedly you’d have to be pretty… determined to do so, assuming you wanted to use only points to purchase all the other content needed to get that far.

• moondog548 says:

Actually you don’t need to buy anything. All lands can be adventured in, but the quest content must be purchased. The Epic storyline quests, however, are all free.

9. vecordae says:

Is LotRO any good? It depends on your personal tastes. It strikes me as being very much in the vein of WoW or EQ2, though it does have some features that help differentiate it.

The art direction and scenery are actually pretty nice. The classes are interesting deviations from the standard MMO tropes. PVP is handled in an interesting way, with some players playing as monsters. Other than that, they have all the usual stuff. Mounts, guilds, player housing, and the like.

I would recommend giving it a shot, especially if you are a Tolkien fan or aren’t stick to death of the traditional MMO. It is free, afterall.

• razgon says:

Also, it really favors exploration and just having fun in the world which is something that is severely lacking in many games today. I

• AgamemnonV2 says:

You mean Asheron’s Call II. You know, the MMO WoW and EQ2 borrowed stuff from?

When the developer is pulling from their own work, it doesn’t actually mean it’s borrowing from stuff that borrowed from them in the first place.

• vecordae says:

No. I mean WoW and EQ2 because those are the ones I specifically mentioned.

My previous post was less of a doctorate-level dissertation on the history of the MMO genre and more of a comparison to widely-known and popular games my audience may already be familiar with. Asheron’s Call 2, while a fine game, I am sure, is not as well known as either WoW or EQ2 and I also haven’t played it, meaning I can’t speak with any real authority on what the experience of doing so is like. You’ll also notice that, at no point, did I imply that LotRO was somehow derivative of or had stolen features of the titles, just that those games contain many similar elements.

Go ahead and re-read it. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

10. Dozer says:

As in “They’re taking the hobbits to Isengard!”

edit: reply fail

11. Josh W says:

Hang on a second? Draigoch? Draig goch? As in red dragon in welsh? As in the welsh flag?

That’s hardly an ancient evil, unless they’re pulling a doctor who, and it turns out to be a future serial killer with access to a tardis.