Skyrim’s Cast: Wonder Woman, Tigh, Ivanova

By Alec Meer on September 27th, 2011 at 2:10 pm.

I bet Tigh's character will have a beard
A veritable who’s who of people you sort of recognise, Skyrim’s voice cast appears to promise the starriest Elder Scrolls yet. We already know about Max Von Sydow, but just announced are the excellent Joan Allen and Christopher Plummer, plus a raft of cult TV familiar faces. Battlestar’s grumpy boozehound Saul Tigh is in there, Bablyon 5′s Claudia Christian turns up, and best of all is Wonder Woman herself, Lynda Carter.

Plus some other guys! Yessir, those are some people’s voices alright. Full details below.

Christopher Plummer will play Arngeir, “a powerful Greybeard elder. An order of philosopher monks who are masters of the Way of the Voice, the Greybeards live in silent isolation atop Skyrim’s largest mountain.”

Max Von Sydow’s role is revealed to be”Esbern, a chronicler and agent of the Blades who has survived in hiding. Long obsessed with the foretold return of the dragon Alduin, the World Eater, Esbern will teach you how to confront this epic evil.”

Joan Allen, who I’d have previously thought might be Too Good For This Sort Of Thing, “will be making her videogame debut as Delphine, one of the last remaining members of the Blades – an ancient warrior society once sworn to protect the Emperor. Like you, Delphine is trying to unravel the mystery of the dragons’ return.”

Wonder Woman, meanwhile, plays Gormlaith Golden-Hilt, “one of the Nord heroes who overthrew the dragons in ancient times.” She may have some exposition to offer, I suspect.

Then there are these lot:

· Michael Hogan (“Battlestar Galactica”), who plays Imperial General Tullius, in charge of crushing the Stormcloak rebellion.

· Vladimir Kulich (“The 13th Warrior,” “Smoking Aces”) portrays Hogan’s nemesis Ulfric Stormcloak, Jarl of Windhelm and charismatic leader of the Stormcloaks, who aims to make Skyrim independent of the Empire.

· Claudia Christian (“Babylon 5”) joins the cast as Legate Rikke, General Tullius’s chief lieutenant, a loyal Imperial officer as well as a Nord who firmly believes Skyrim must remain part of the Empire.

· Diane Louise Salinger (“Carnivale”), Renee Victor (“Weeds”), and Saturday Night Live-alum George Coe (“Transformers: Dark of the Moon”) round out the star-studded cast of more than 70 different voice actors delivering over 60,000 lines of dialogue.

Sounds like a distinguished cast and that bodes well for good performances – traditionally TES’ weak point. I’m still very, very afraid they’ll bring back the guy who played Brother Jauffre, though.

In other scrolltastic news, Minecraft-maker Notch earlier today tweeted that his legal argy-bargy with Bethesda over his attempt to trademark the name ‘Scrolls’ and their claim that this threatens their ‘Elder Scrolls’ trademark will indeed go to court. Every other site has made that nine-word tweet the basis of a news story in its own right, because that’s how the internet works now.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Llewyn says:

ZeniMax CEO’s wife cast in Bethesda game shock!

• caddyB says:

Well maybe her husband loves it when she talks about mudcrabs.

• stblr says:

I don’t begrudge the reason why she’s in the game, but she is a demonstrably terrible voice actor. I found myself actively avoiding female Nords in Oblivion. I also found myself actively seeking out female Orcs because of the absurd juxtaposition of an Orc with Lynda Carter’s voice.

• Quinnbeast says:

Isn’t that Sten from Dragon Age at the top? The old hoss gets around!

• tyren says:

@stblr:

On the other hand, at least she’s only one character this time, instead of half of them.

2. Ross Mills says:

If Cam Clarke is not in a game then technically I don’t think it counts as an RPG…

3. magnus says:

It’s no suprise about Linda Carter, but still it would have been nice to have had Jacqueline Pierce as well, mmmmmmm oh yes! :)

Or Pauley Perrette! (slobber)

4. Innovacious says:

But, i do not really care about big name actors. Time and time again these sort of people have shown they can act, but not voice act. Its a totally different ball game and i was even disappointed with the work of Captain Picard himself in Oblivion.

Has there been confirmation that Michael Mack is back yet? Ive only heard rumours and maybes, unless someone can cite Bethesda actually saying it somewhere. Its not gonna be the same if hes not there.

• thegooseking says:

Karen Gillan can write about PC games too. That’s multitalented for you!

But I think the only time I’ve ever been really impressed by a big name actor in a game is Samuel L. Jackson in GTA: San Andreas. Well, J. K. Simmons in Portal 2 as well, but that was monologue, so a bit different from most game voice acting.

• NR says:

Karen Gillan did voice-acting? When did that happen?

And on the subject of big names, what about Seth Green as Joker in ME – thought he was pretty good.

• thegooseking says:

Karen Gillan, funnily enough, played Amy Pond in the Doctor Who Adventure Games. And it… wasn’t quite right.

I forgot about Seth Green, though, which is probably an indication that he did a good job, since I was so involved with Joker as a character that at no point did I think, “Oh, that’s Seth Green.”

• Llewyn says:

Speaking of Jokers, surely Mark Hamill deserves a mention…

• thegooseking says:

Ever play Soldier of Fortune 2? Mark Hamill deserves nothing.

(Although, yes, his Joker was pretty good.)

• Rikard Peterson says:

If you’ve played Full Throttle, you have to love Hamill’s work in it.

5. deanb says:

And they all die in the first 10 minutes of meeting them.

6. Sentient Waffle says:

“I’m still very, very afraid they’ll bring back the guy who played Brother Jauffre though.”

I still have nightmares… His voice, everywhere! Different faces, same voice, ITS HAUNTING ME!

• Kdansky says:

I found his performance to be quite good, actually. It’s just that Oblivion only had three voice actors* in total which was very creepy.

*Excluding those that speak characters which die after ten lines.

• sinister agent says:

His stint in Fallout 3 was utterly ridiculous, though. Not necessarily his fault if he were directed to act like a pantomime villain, but still.

• AmateurScience says:

I (literally) just finished Oblivion – had it since release, logged a gazillion hours playing, never actually finished the main quest: fixed! – and agree that the voice acting is actually of a pretty high standard.

The real problem was those 6(?) guys and girls who did all the voice acting donkey work. Soooo much dialogue, so few voice actors. Sure there were some clunky lines but I imagine if you’re presented with a couple of thousand dialogue lines *some* of them are going to be crap.

7. frenz0rz says:

As long as Vladimir Kulich’s character looks exactly as he appeared in 13th Warrior, I’ll be very happy.

What do you mean you’ve not seen it? Bah. Awesome film that.

8. McCool says:

I could have sworn I met Wonder Woman walking about like a normal NPC in one of Skyrim’s cities. It really jarred, as her silly accent completely didn’t fit in with the generally Nordic sounding Nords (something I haven’t seen commented on anywhere, the fact that most Nords seem to have Scandinavian accents now). Maybe it was just an actress with a similar voice, or she is filling in for some other NPCs, too.

• simonh says:

Well she did all the Nord females in Oblivion and Morrowind, so if she’s only got one NPC now the news should be that there’s considerably less Wonder Woman in this game than in previous installments.

• Gwog says:

If I’m being honest (only on Tuesdays and Sundays), I have to admit I hate Lynda Carter’s performances in these games. “Silly accent” is putting it lightly. “Set your own face on fire accent” is how I think of it.

Sean Bean was amazing in Oblivion, though. I would like Todd Howard to marry Sean Bean and then use the latter in all future ES games, please.

• mejoff says:

Sean Bean was the main reason I bothered with the main quest in Oblivion (until it got actually interesting towards the end – about the time that Terry Stamp got properly involved, as it happens). He just sounded so… sad and vulnerable, I just had to help him!

(which is why it’s a good idea to have really good voice actors in roles like that)

• sinister agent says:

I can’t be the only one who thought that Sean Bean sounded like he was falling asleep in Oblivion. Although I only played the first few main plot bits because yaawn.

• qrter says:

Loved Sean Bean’s acting in Oblivion.

Hated Linda Carter – literally reading out loud what is on the page is not acting, mrs. Carter.

• Jhoosier says:

Did Sean Bean have to do a death scene? I’d bet his motivation for voice acting is not to having fake blood poured over him again.

• Saldek says:

@Wittgenstein

I wonder if she isn’t the obvious choice for a Nord American-sounding woman?

9. TheGameSquid says:

To be perfectly honest I’d rather not have these people in my game. As Innovacious said, there’s quite a huge difference between voice acting and actual acting. Most of these actors can’t do the former. Plus, I sort of hate when I’m strolling around Tamriel only to encounter Sol Tigh in some castle. Oftentimes these actors are chosen because they play a certain fan-favourite character in some TV show, and rarely they succeed in becoming another character in the game.

Just give me some quality anonymous voice actors, thanks.

10. pakoito says:

I’ll love when the game gets released in Spain with two voice actors. Three top.

• Skabooga says:

Me encontré un cangrejo de barro ayer. Son creaturas malas.

• Zanchito says:

You used a tilde there, “encontré”. That’s too much intonation for our voiceovers. Damn, we have grat movie/TV dubbers and such crappy videogame ones!

• pakoito says:

> Damn, we have grat movie/TV dubbers and such crappy videogame ones!

Yes we do. The same 10 used in every TV show, so Greg House has the same voice than Tywin Lannister, Charlie Sheen and at least one secondary character in every other TV show. Half the kids and teenagers in TV are dubbed by the same Bart Simpson-ish voice. And so much more examples…

11. cknoos says:

I’m just curious about the money. How big of a portion of the game’s budget went to these fairly high-profile VAs, and more importantly, is/was it worth it?

• Vandelay says:

I can never remember whether their is a significant difference in cost between using someones voice and using their image, or whether it is tiny. It is one of the extremes though.

It should come out of the marketing budget though, as that seems to be the main reason for it.

• Chandos says:

Yeah it’s probably costing them vast amounts. Amounts that could have been used to generate more content. Oh well..

• Grygus says:

I freely admit that I don’t know what I’m talking about – I’m not a game developer nor in the industry – but I would imagine that in a large successful studio like Bethesda, the restricting factor on content is time, not money. Once the team reaches its optimal size for productivity, the money is probably better spent elsewhere.

12. TillEulenspiegel says:

I’m always skeptical of TV actors doing voice work. They rarely perform as well as professional voice actors do. And when they’re big names, they’re always recognizable as themselves, which is a bit weird.

John DiMaggio is the only one I know who does video games fairly often. Hire more real voice actors, video game producers!

13. Nemon says:

And Rob Schneider will do the rest of the voices, rated PG-13.

14. Wizardry says:

How can Bethesda justify spending money on voice acting when it’s a fact that RPGs are better without any voice acting at all?

• mejoff says:

You’ve done that thing where you use the word ‘fact’ to describe your own opinion again. I wish you’d stop.

The reason I say that is that my opinion differs from yours, I think Voice acting makes RPGs better, but I’d never say it was a fact, because I’m aware, and self-aware, enough to know that others, for example yourself, prefer RPGs without. It’s a matter of taste, not fact.

• thegooseking says:

I think a lack of voice acting in RPGs is better sometimes, but not better as a rule. If all you have is text, you have to invest the dialogue with your own mental tonalities, which can increase engagement and make the dialogue more personally meaningful to the player.

On the other hand, I’m convinced that voice acting has vastly improved the quality of writing, because saying the kind of dialogues we had before voice acting out loud has highlighted just how silly a lot of it was.

• Wizardry says:

@mejoff: But it’s a fact that it’s a fact. How can you dispute it?

@thegooseking: But without voice acting you can make actual dialogue systems. You can’t really do that effectively with spoken dialogue.

• diamondmx says:

[Citation needed]

• TheGameSquid says:

I never understood how anyone can act as if your own perceptions are merely an “opinion” though. How can you deny your own reality?

I’m probably just a dick though.

• Bureaucrat says:

This is the Bethesda method of creating an interesting character: Have a famous person do the voice.

When you can’t write for shit, you might as well tickle your audience’s nerd-bone by giving them giving them Cap’t Picard, I guess.

• Chris D says:

I think we’re all missing the important point here, which is that Wizardry just referred to a non-turn-based game as an RPG.

Also, RPGs have a duty to remain faithful to their pen and paper origins where voice acting was never used. Probably.

• mejoff says:

@ Wizardry
      I dispute it because I find it enhances my enjoyment of the game, therefore makes it better in my opinion. If I like it better with, I disagree that it’s a fact that it’s better without, this isn’t black is white territory mate, it’s clearly subjective.

I suspect I fell for a troll, but then you have that effect on me.

Also, dialogue systems what? Tell me there’s some way of putting more dialogue into text files than sound files (assuming you’re willing to generate the content, which Bethesda clearly are) or stop being deliberately obtuse.

@ TheGameSquid
      It’s so clearly a matter of taste that your comment doesn’t seem relevant.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

No, what you’re all missing is the whole textbook trolling thing. Post amusing one-liner, get angry/serious responses. Pretty funny.

Come on, internet citizens. You’re taking things seriously, on RPS of all places? For shame.

• DainIronfoot says:

Wizardry….. Wizardry never changes.

• Wizardry says:

@mejoff: Dialogue systems. You know, systems for dialogue. Exchanging information with wandering NPCs, talking your way out of a battle with hostiles, agreeing trade deals, recruiting characters, threatening enemy groups, asking for directions, communicating in different languages. Stuff that the game itself needs to generate lines of dialogue for. None of this scripted emotional nonsense with very little connection to what you’re actually trying to do in the game.

• Berzee says:

Was there procedurally generated dialogue in Wizardry 8? I missed that. (I mean I may genuinely have missed it).

I do remember Anton Rapax’s spoken voice being awesome. “INTERESTING SWORD YOU HAVE THERE. MY BROTHER FERRO MUST HAVE MADE IT FOR YOU…….A WONDERFUL PIECE.”

• Dervish says:

Wizardry, even if we all agree that you are correct about such systems and they are indispensable, surely you still need to add a “with current speech synthesis technology” qualifier? I see no reason why all your fancy text-based generative dialogue systems cannot in theory end up fully voiced.

• mejoff says:

You’re claiming there are games which write their own dialogue, rather than using pre-written lines, either as text or voice files.

OK.

Right.

Fantasy is nice and all, but, you know, in the setting rather than here?

• Wizardry says:

@mejoff: You’re still trapped in that developer written dialogue file mentality. Dialogue systems are severely limited if all they are are flowcharts, going from one state to another with perhaps a skill check here or there. There were quite a few late 80s and early 90s CRPGs that allowed you to be diplomatic to random wandering monsters. The dialogue was still largely developer written, but you tended to get stuff inserted into it. Character names, directions from your current location, creature types, in game item names, town names etc. When everything is voice acted you end up with heavily streamlined narrative heavy games where there can’t be any real mechanics for dialogue due to the limitations of voice recording and playback.

• Skabooga says:

@Chris D: Point of order- I’ve done voice acting every bit as terrible as Bethesda’s in my D&D campaigns. :)

• Berzee says:

Or you could just have some of the main stuff voice acted (i.e. if there’s a quest that isn’t procedurally generated) but leave the randomized stuff as just text. Lots of games do this and it works pretty nicely. =)

• Wizardry says:

@Berzee: Ah, but I was comparing fully voice acted games with games with no voice acting. Something like the Infinity Engine games would be ideal in my opinion. You can have a little voice acting sprinkled around while having the bulk of it text based.

• mejoff says:

1. Inserting the odd specific into a sentence does not differentiate dialogue from not dialogue.

2. With a well enough briefed voice actor (to avoid flashpointery) there’s nothing to stop developers slipping the odd specific (not the PC’s name obviously, but just about anything else) into spoken dialogue, actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bethesda have done just that, given the hints we’ve been given about proc-gen/randomised quests.

@dervish
      That’s the plan if my current project gets off the ground…

• LionsPhil says:

How can Bethesda justify spending money on voice acting

Obvious direct answer ignoring the “my opinions are facts, they just are” stupidity: Elder Scrolls is a “AAA” experience these days (I can’t speak for its early incarnations), and thus cares more about polish than freedom to talk to Random Gnome #39,721 about its favourite way to cook mudcrabs. It is much more vital that the protagonist can have carefully scripted emotionally-loaded (awful) conversations with key plot characters in a truly cinematic manner.

(Also, yes, games have gone before where the written text can namedrop, while the voiced version is worded slightly differently.)

• Berzee says:

“Ah, but I was comparing fully voice acted games with games with no voice acting.”

I know. =) I agree with your ideal (perhaps tweaking the ratios somewhat, but like most things, it depends on what will best accomplish what you hope to achieve).

@mejoff, you have to admit though, it’s really easy for a computer to have a guy run up to you and say,
      “Help help help! We’ve been attacked by [insert number] [insert monster name].” But if you want full voice acting, you need the VA to either record a bunch of near-identical lines, or else record, what, every number between 1 and 100, so you can splice it together (and hope it doesn’t sound like an emergency weather alert robot voice).

• Unaco says:

“I think we’re all missing the important point here, which is that Wizardry just referred to a non-turn-based game as an RPG”

Just reiterating this. Welcome to the modern era Wizardry.

• jealouspirate says:

Reading Wizardry’s comments always remind me of this guy I learned about in school dubbed “Patient HM”. He had a brain injury which prevented him from forming new memories, essentially locking him into the exact person he was at the time of his injury. He lived like this for decades.

I suspect Wizardry may have received a similar injury sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s. It’s like looking into the past.

• food says:

Unless your gm was into mime and live painting, voice acting has been a staple of rpgs since the very beginning.

• Wizardry says:

@food: And unless your GM was into reading from a book, unscripted dialogue has been a staple of RPGs since the very beginning.

• food says:

I’ve never met a gm who didn’t have some form of script complete with a couple of witty (re: terrible) lines included.

Let’s run this shit into the ground!

• LionsPhil says:

You’ve only met terrible DMs?

The whole advantage of a meat DM over a CRPG programme is that they can ad-lib and improvise. Which gets to the crux of this argument that if you insist on having all your dialogue pre-recorded, it necessarily restricts flexibility.

• food says:

Yep… right into the fucking ground.

• Skabooga says:

*Watermelon splatters on desk in the background*

15. caddyB says:

They should have asked Notch to do some voice acting.

16. Mattressi says:

Just wanted to say; thank you for reporting the Mojang vs Bethesda story properly. All the other sites’ stories simply say that Bethesda is suing Mojang because Mojang is using the name ‘Scrolls’. I thought this was absurd. I didn’t realise that they were suing Mojang because Mojang was trying to trademark ‘Scrolls’. Not sure how trademark law works exactly, but trademarking ‘Scrolls’ reminds me of trademarking ‘Edge’, so I guess I can see why Bethesda are doing what they’re doing.

• The Colonel says:

Does RPS have an up to date account of the Bethesda/Mojang battle floating about somewhere? There still seem to be very polarised opinions even on what the facts of the matter are, let alone who is in the wrong once we get into interpreting these facts.

What I can piece together is that:

1: Mojang file for a trademark to call a game Scrolls (presumably the trademark applies only to the field of gaming/video gaming)

2: Bethesda sue for infringement of their previously held trademark (The Elder Scrolls) on the basis that they might lose business if anyone confuses the two brands.

#1 doesn’t seem that unreasonable to me – if you decide to give something a title (ie. as a proper noun) and wish to sell it, it makes sense to trademark that product name so others cannot use it freely. This isn’t the same as the Edge thing where the word “edge” seems to be assaulted in whichever concept it is used.

The problem is surely not that Notch is trying to reserve all use of a single, English language word for his company. There is no trademark law allowing you to do this. So what is the problem with trying to trademark the name of a product in a particular market. Others have pointed out that Rage fits the exact same criteria as Scrolls as far as a single real word name goes. If id hadn’t trademarked “Rage” in the CVG category and someone else rushed out a similar style of game called Rage… well it wouldn’t happen because nobody developing a commercial product is that stupid.

The question is more whether Bethesda’s claim that it might confuse people and lose them money holds any water. It’s very unlikely that they just saw an opportunity to milk someone for lots of money, so the argument that one must defend ones trademarks when they are threatened seems to be it.

I must be missing vital facts. Who has done anything wrong here?

• mejoff says:

The people demonising bethesda, including most of the game journalists on the interwebs.

• Unaco says:

Here is Jas Purewal’s (a Vidya Game Lawyer) take on the situation.

17. Pathetic Phallacy says:

It’s doubtful that anyone would purchase a game based on star power. Attracting film actors to do voice work in a video game is just one of many reasons why game studios fail to see the difference between movies and games.

Save the money spent on star power and hire quality voice actors who will work for a fraction of the price. Reinvest that cash into something better.

• diamondmx says:

If more games made their voice actors prominent instead of trying to borrow stardom from films then we’d see more voice acting stars that might even bring purchases with them.
      David Hayter, for example, is one of the few VAs a games fan could probably recognise (Solid Snake) – and I bet there are a few Metal Gear fans who’d be at least a little tempted towards a game from that alone.

Games do not actually advertise their VAs very well.

• Dervish says:

I don’t think we need to give people more superficial reasons to favor certain games, nor the companies more “safe bet” options to ensure sales. I appreciate quality voice acting, but I prefer to have it be a pleasant surprise, not something I expect based on celebrity status.

• Burning Man says:

Have a video of some awesome THQ voice acting by completely unknown people.

18. Durkonkell says:

Hm. I am not entirely convinced. They spent a ton of money getting Patrick Stewart in last time, but he has such a distinctive voice that I was absolutely unable to separate the Emperor from Captain Picard. Then he was killed within 5 minutes anyway.

They should get Jennifer Hale in, now she is a proper voice actor. I’m quite convinced that she should be in every game ever though…

• mejoff says:

X-Men must have really confused and upset you, Gandalf too!?!?!?

• Gundrea says:

1. Patrick Stewrt was not in the LOTR movies.
      2. He should have been, as Sauron!

• Durkonkell says:

Wha?! Gandalf?!

I have no idea what you are saying to me.

• mejoff says:

Captain Picard and Gandalf were both in X-Men, it was really confusing because actors never play different parts in different things, so once they’re known for a role, they have to stop being in other things because it’s confusing.

(Count Dooku was in Lord of the Rings too, but with long hair, not as upsetting as Han Solo in Indiana Jones though.)

• Durkonkell says:

Oh, right, you’re trying to demolish my argument with sarcasm without actually considering it first, fine.

So in films, actors use moving and expressions and stuff as well as their voices to bring their characters to life. I may be incorrect but I believe Patrick Stewart was in X-Men for more than 5 minutes also?

Mr. Stewart has a very distinctive voice – he’s also an excellent actor, but all we get in Oblivion is the voice. He is in it only very briefly and certainly not long enough to really establish the character of the Emperor and allow me to separate the character from “This is Patrick Stewart speaking”. Was it worth the investment to get him in for this role? Would the actual story have been better served by having a lesser known but professional voice actor take the role? I can’t be the only one who suffered some cognitive dissonance here.

I have no real idea who Emperor Uriel Septim VII is – what kind of man was he? Was he a good emperor? All I remember is that he was played by Patrick Stewart.

• mejoff says:

I felt that it was worth getting someone of Stewart’s calibre in for the part so that he could, with much less time than a less talented actor could have managed it, imbue the character with a sort of haunted, fragile nobility which, while not answering your questions outright, certainly suggested answers.

• Jhoosier says:

How do you know Patrick Stewart isn’t a huge Elder Scrolls fan and slept with the Zenimax CEO to get even the smallest job of Emperor (for 5min)? Now you’ve gone and hurt his feelings.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@mejoff

Ian McKellen played Magneto for 3 films. That is perhaps 6 hours of total exposure as a character.

Patrick Stewart played Captain Picard for 178 episodes (7 years, 178 hours). I won’t even bother including the movies.

The exposure level is a little different. There is a reason why many actors from long-running television shows are unable to be cast in other roles in films. It is not an unimaginable thing for an audience to fail to see anything but a particular character when viewing an actor.

Your analogy fails . . . hard. Normally my responses are not as insulting and humiliating, but I feel sometimes people have to reap what they sow.

• mejoff says:

Patrick Stewart was a hugely successful RSC actor before Star Trek, and still is now, he’s worked on hundreds of non Trek related projects.

I assure you I am in no way humiliated by your somewhat irrelevant comment, but thanks for your concern.

19. Berzee says:

Jauffre was my favorite voice, I’ll have you know!

But yes, just the fact there’s more than 4 people on that list is a great stride forward. =P

20. Berzee says:

Also, for The Elder Scrolls 6: Title, I suggest they hire the Sonic Burger people. That’d be nice.

21. Raziel_Alex says:

We were all expecting big money spent on names. But when will Bethesda spend money for some good writers? I’m trying to replay Fallout 3 atm, but, God, I’ll just uninstall it because of the dialogues.

22. Gundrea says:

Don’t worry folks. I’ve secretly contracted a group of celebrity RPS VAs. Come Skyrim’s release we expect to have a Day 0 mod replacing all dialogue in the game with Tei and Wizardry arguing over Skyrim being an RPG.

• Unaco says:

Will Wulf be providing a 3 1/2 hour monologue about how superior he is to others, why these Dragons aren’t REALLY Dragons, why this Sword isn’t really a sword, why the magic in the game isn’t really magic, and why those boots aren’t real, proper boots and how much better the game would have been if they’d listened to him and done everything he had said?

• Berzee says:

@Unaco: no.

What we will have though is him making an impassioned speech to the wolves of Skyrim, asking them not to throw themselves like idiots upon the sword of the dragonborn. =)

• Jhoosier says:

As a long-time RPS reader, I heartily approve.

• CMaster says:

Do we also get Dominic White being really angry about something and TotalBiscuit informing us how we are all wrong?

• Berzee says:

No, but we DO get Dominic White explaining to a band of marauders a well-reasoned difference between objectivity and subjectivity, and you can find TotalBiscuit stranded somewhere in a dungeon because he got stuck on a simple puzzle. After you solve the puzzle, he opens the door and an angry mob stampedes out shouting “His accent is totally fake!” and chases him off into the sunset.

• Unaco says:

Total Biscuit’s catchphrase is going to be “Duke Nukem Forever? Day one purchase! Oh… wait… no. I didn’t mean that now that it’s released and I’ve played it!!!”

As you can see, that’s quite long winded and verbose, as befitting a TB catchphrase.

• Berzee says:

That I feel is in conflict with the general lore of t3h world.

Edit: so we’ll call it an “easter egg”

• Kaira- says:

But who should provide all the snarky one-liners?

• Berzee says:

Far too many contenders for THAT position. ;)

23. Bishop99999999 says:

So I just realized that the doctor from Fallout NV was voiced by Michael Hogan too. Huh.

24. sinister agent says:

Oh. The blades are the heroes again then. Bit boring. But a minor whine. At least there are only a few of them, I suppose.

I hope they’re not just making a variation on one of their usual mistakes – crap writing, one voice actor for 200 people, and a few famous people to phone it in for five minutes before carking it.

25. rustybroomhandle says:

Linda Carter. Will she have a role this time, or just be “Nord female” as in the previous two games?

• Unaco says:

The Article M*****F*****! Have you read it?

“Wonder Woman, meanwhile, plays Gormlaith Golden-Hilt, “one of the Nord heroes who overthrew the dragons in ancient times.””

• rustybroomhandle says:

I did, and oddly I missed that whole paragraph. Thanks to your very polite response though, I have realised my error.

I must however say that contrary to your accusation, I never had sex with your mother.

26. zind says:

H. Jon Benjamin for male orc voices!

27. kikito says:

The Notch/scrolls thing deserves its own piece of news, not just a footer in another one.

28. archimandrite says:

It’s “Saul Tigh” not “Sol Tigh.”

• LennyLeonardo says:

Indeed. Perhaps Alec had a brain bubble and got him confused with Sol Starr off Deadwood.

Actually, I’d pay to see that crossover. And I suppose in theory, Tigh could show up in Deadwood. Or is that too much of a BSG spoiler?

29. Urthman says:

best of all is Wonder Woman herself, Linda Carter.

Really? “Best of all?” I thought Linda Carter was terrible in Oblivion.

30. UnravThreads says:

Pssst, RPS, it’s Lynda Carter, not Linda Carter.

Pssst, she’s still hot.

31. Jake says:

Drunk Saul Tigh as a dragon would be brilliant, especially his laugh.

32. Thule says:

Even though getting missions from Saul Tigh and Commander Ivanova is extremely awesome, I think I’ll align myself with these Stormcloaks in my first playthrough, simply because Vladimir Kulich is their leader.

“Lo there do I see my father…”

33. food says:

Well, seventy is a step up from six.

34. LennyLeonardo says:

This reminds me: When I replayed Deus Ex 1 recently I could’ve sworn it was Michael Hogan doing some of the voices. Can anyone confirm?

35. eclipse mattaru says:

As Yahtzee said in his Fallout 3 video:

“Bethesda seems to be in the habit of hiring the biggest name voice actors they can find and having their character drop off the face of the Earth before you’ve even picked a class. They did it to Captain Picard in Oblivion, and now they’ve done it to Oscar Schindler in Fallout 3”

36. Nick says:

Now all they need to do is write variations on the lines they’ll all be saying.

37. Zogtee says:

Well, I hope they make the most of Max Von Sydow and Christopher Plummer. Also, it’s LYNDA Carter, goddammit.

38. Derpentine says:

Oh boy, nothing gets me more excited than paying a whole sack of gold to some big names which bring nothing to the game itself. /wank

39. Stinkfinger75 says:

Can you guys find another word besides raft to describe “a shit ton”?

40. tyren says:

“I’m still very, very afraid they’ll bring back the guy who played Brother Jauffre, though”

Jauffre didn’t even have a unique voice IIRC, which made it…. well, not as bad as it could have been since I don’t remember seeing TOO many Bretons in the game, but still, pretty bad.

41. oatmeal says:

Good to see they’re spending their money on the things that really matter.

42. Ultra-Humanite says:

The real good news is that Jonathan Bryce returns to voice Argonians and Khajiit again.

Comment on this story