Frozen Synapse Unfreezes Its Price

By Alec Meer on September 28th, 2011 at 7:34 pm.

Pricesplosion!

The ‘Humble Bundle’ tag by this point surely guarantees that any indie games blessed with it have the money hose turned on ‘em. Latest is Mode 7 Games’ most excellent tactical strategy affair Frozen Synapse, which has just now gone pay what you want under the trusty Humble banner – but only for the duration of the next 14 days. If you don’t have FZ already, then I thumb my teeth in your general direction. And also suggest you swoop right now.

Beat the average price- currently a genuinely humble $4.17 – and you’ll get the earlier Frozenbyte bundle (comprising Trine, Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor, a preorder for Splot and a prototype of Jack Claw) thrown in for free. Frozen Synapse normally costs $25, so this is a splendid deal from a punter’s point of view. Celebratory announcement video below!

As always, a portion of what you pay – you determine how much of a portion goes to charities Child’s Play and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. The rest goes to Mode 7, and hopefully it will help ‘em build us another excellent PC game soon.

Oh yes – and your FZHB purchase also gets you a copy of the soundtrack, which usually goes for $6 on its own.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. bit_crusherrr says:

FS is a brilliant game, the soundtrack is great too.

2. promenad says:

Amazing game.

3. briktal says:

Didn’t they already do this?

4. dc says:

Without Frozen Synapse, yes ;)

5. zind says:

Rabble rabble one game isn’t a bundle rabble rabble.

Eh whatever, I bought it.

I now own Trine 3 times over, I believe.

6. bwion says:

I already own Frozen Synapse, but I haven’t had the money to throw at the last few Humble Indie Bundles (and I would have felt bad just dropping a couple dollars).

How are the Shadowgrounds games? *What* are the Shadowgrounds games?

• johnpeat says:

Just FYI – ‘dropping a few dollars’ is better than not dropping anything at all.

If you feel bad, don’t download or play all the games :)

• siegarettes says:

I’ve only dropped a few bucks on it, though i intend to pay more when i get paid.
      You can also up your donation if you want to after purchase. Or make multiple purchases ;) give em to your poor friends.

• aerozol says:

Get one/some for friends. I’ve had a few people ask me if I have keys/ links for earlier bundles, and I wish I’d bought some extra. Rather than having people buy ‘em off douches on eBay, who pay nothing, and then mark it up…

• Waltorious says:

@bwion,

I’ve only played the first Shadowgrounds but it was surprisingly good. It’s basically an FPS played from a top-down perspective, with creepy dynamic shadows for aliens to ambush you from. You’ll spend a lot of time sweeping your flashlight around and spotting an alien right before it lunges at your face. Great selection of upgradeable weapons, good level design and even decent voice acting. Only downside is no quicksave… instead you get a limited number of “respawns” which will start you off a short way back from where you died. This means you can’t quit the game mid-mission, you’ll have to start the mission over again. Despite this, I enjoyed it a lot and can easily recommend it, especially when you get the sequel and Trine in the deal too.

Oh also, you have to set widescreen resolutions using a config file, but they do work perfectly:

7. simonh says:

Correction: The rest doesn’t necessarily go to Mode 7. You get to choose how it’s split between Mode 7, Frozenbyte and Humble Bundle Inc.

It’s worth paying just to play with the sliders and look at the stats.

8. Kaira- says:

“If you bought these games separately, it would cost around $76 but we’re letting you set the price”

I’m pretty sure that they are referring to the “extra” Frozenbyte bundle, but that price seems a tad inflated if you consider it only for FS. :P

Also, if anyone wants a Steam-key, first come first served (bought it from Steam during summer sales because I thought it used Steamworks-DRM):
    HUMBIZI0S6AW166D4B1H

[E]: if this doesn’t give you the multiplayer key, feel free to contact me via my blog(s), Twitter or RPS forums.

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Looks like there’s sufficient demand… the site is down. For me, this is as good a time as any to grab Frozen Synapse and Trine (don’t care much about the others) for a decent price (not that the regular price isn’t ) -and- donate to charity.

-edit- If any of the humble bundle are listening: I’m not going to pay extra for games I don’t want, really. Sure, I’ll add money for Trine, and add a bit for charity, but even if I pay more than what I would’ve it’s hardly as much compared to a situation in which I look forward to all the games.

Then again, there’s not much you can do about that. I dunno.. it just feels strange paying for a few games and getting other games (even if I don’t want them) for free.

-edit 2-
    Well, I ended up paying more than intended even keeping the above in mind. Well, I’ll live, I guess. :o)

• simonh says:

Yeah I agree, there should be an option to specify which of the games you’re paying for, if you already own some of them or if you’re not interested in them.

Just for statistical purposes, and so I don’t have to feel like they think I’m stingy because I didn’t pay so much, when it was because i really only paid for one of the games.

10. Kuranes says:

Well, now maybe it will convince me to get this game, especially since I learnt there was a linux version.

How can I be sure it works on Debian (amd64) tainted with Nvidia Optimus though? I saw there’s a Windows and Mac demo, but nothing for linux.

I’m using debumblebee to run programs that use OpenGL and intense graphics, but it doesn’t work for all of them, so I need to be sure before purchasing.

A linux demo compiled in the very same way of the complete game would be nice (or even less than a demo, just something that tells me I can run it and play).

• Megagun says:

Heh, looking at debumblebee, it appears that it was created because someone was dissatisfied with the bumblebee installation process.

He should´ve looked at the uninstallation process instead. https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee/commit/a047be85247755cdbe0acce6#diff-1

;)

• rustybroomhandle says:

I installed it on my 64-Bit Sabayon via Desura and it seems to run fine. Debian is somewhat less obscure, so I’m going to hazard a guess here that it will likely work.

As for the Optimusnessness…

Do you feel lucky?

• LionsPhil says:

Hah, I wondered if it was that classic after your first paragraph. Holy crap has the number of (terrible) image macros grown. The best got in there early (although I love this too even if neither are really in scope).

• pertusaria says:

Thanks for mentioning the demo – I was having a hard time figuring out whether these would play on my laptop. I’ll be sad if they don’t, but at least I can find out before stumping up.

Cheers!

• seamoss says:

For what it’s worth, Frozen Synapse seems to work fine my 32-bit Debian Squeeze desktop, albeit with an older Nvidia card (7300 GT) using the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

• Kuranes says:

Thanks all for your replies, didn’t expect any :)

The issue is really the Optimus disease, I guess I can run 32bit code on a 64bit system with 32bit libs after all. I think I’ll try my luck, at this price it wouldn’t be a great loss anyway and it will probably run in several years/decades when Optimus support will be there :p

Thanks for pointing that out Megagun, all that lulz that I missed !

• ComradePenguin says:

Have any of you got the linux version not from the bundle? I bought it in beta but my email to the downloads only contains links to the mac and PC versions.

11. johnpeat says:

I already have the FB Bundle and FS but I don’t have the FS soundtrack and so…

12. LordCiego says:

So, its the key steam redeemable?

13. Temple says:

Checking my hotmail to see if NCsoft are telling me about f2p City of Heroes I instead get an email from the Humble Bundle about this deal, I’m in some MMO beta that I’m sure I never applied to and Jason Nelson has some new weird stuff out.
    Which is what I’m the most interested in :)

Embarrassed by the amount I gave to the bundle this time around, but as seconds before checking my email I had just deleted the only game I’d downloaded from the last bunch without playing it much it all evens out. I think.

14. Spooner says:

Reply fail @ Kuranes: Easy! Buy it for $0.01 and if it works on your machine go back and pay what you think it is worth…

15. Sepulchrave76 says:

Hah, website is down. Not at all surprising…

• Sepulchrave76 says:

Replying to myself is bad form, I know, but it was back up again about 10 minutes after I posted that. I now have it installed :D

16. mmalove says:

Hot deal, website is definitely getting crushed by the load. Will check in later.

17. suibhne says:

Did they ever push their most recent patch out to the Steam version? Doesn’t seem to have showed up for me, and the single-player game is still horribly bugged. Later levels frequently crash out or get super-buggy AI. The last level is uncompletable for many of us, due to bugs that have been discussed on the dev forums for months but not yet fixed.

Aside from that, it’s a brilliant, brilliant game. I’m just really frustrated that it still seems to be broken for a lot of people.

18. Solidstate89 says:

I forget how the rest of the joke goes, but your mother’s a whore, Trebek.

19. Radiant says:

THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT.

20. Frank says:

Their clumsy, Introversion-esque tutorial was a turnoff, but at this price, and knowing there’s a Linux version, I’ll pay up.

21. Navagon says:

I got a lot of love for this game. I can only echo the praise lavished on it already.

22. dsgdsfhgfd says:

TOP SEX films that you will like them very much,free shippin in http://url7.me/6ph4

23. Gabe McGrath says:

(From what I read) Great game. And – a great deal.

But really – this should NOT be a ‘Humble Bundle’.
    The devs should just do a ‘pay what you want’ and donate to charity by themselves.

The ‘Humble’ people became famous for “5 cool games from different devs, pay what you want, money to charity”
    But now, a ‘Humble Bundle’ also means…
    “3 cool games, a preorder and thing the dev abandoned”
    and this week, it can even mean this…
    “Just 1 game, with bonuses if you spend more”.

Call me a marketing wanker if you want – but this branding stuff actually matters.

eg: Think of how you feel about “Valve software”. Now think about “UBIsoft”.
    The difference is the brand; caused by their actions, and your reaction to them.

C’mon Mr Rosen – less bundles, and back up to 5 full games per bundle.
    Familiarity breeds contempt.

• Dominic White says:

If you’re feeling contempt for this, then you’ve got way too much bile in your life. You might as well give up on videogames, period.

• rustybroomhandle says:

As far as new games go it might not be much of a “bundle”, but Frozen Synapse does include the brilliant soundtrack with two bonus tracks, and two full additional albums by the same musician.

• rayne117 says:

“Familiarity breeds contempt.”

So you’re saying they SHOULD change up how many games are in a bundle?

What the hell is your argument?

24. adonf says:

Hey, Notch didn’t give $4000 this time. What a cheap ass!

25. Gnarf says:

So you’re able to pay little enough to not get the Frozenbyte stuff and also choose to give all the money to Frozenbyte?

Comment on this story