Giant Minded: Glitch Goes Live

By Jim Rossignol on September 28th, 2011 at 8:14 am.

A picture of a videogame.
Eccentric 2D MMO Glitch (the team recently hired Katamari-creator Keita Takahasi and the game is set inside the combined dreams of eleven giants) is out of beta and now available to play. What’s interesting about the game is that it has some player-driven emergent potential to it. Not only is much of the in-game economy powered by players, a la Eve Online, but the world itself is expanded by players as they unlock high-level items at the fringes of the existing game. There’s also some complex factional stuff going on which hinges on which of the dreaming giants the players end up favouring. All intriguing, all a bit weird. You can check out the most recent video below, or sign up and take a look for yourself.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. blind_boy_grunt says:

i…

2. Untruth says:

Review in briefs: I played the early alpha/beta of this and couldn’t work out what the hell was going on.

3. HexagonalBolts says:

That looks sodding mental, in a sexy way. But I’m a bit confused as to why the trailer focused so much on spending points in menus, there wasn’t really much indication as to what you actually ‘do’ other than standing around in large crowds and playing tag…

4. Squirrelfanatic says:

The idea seems pretty cool. I am bit put off by the trailer though. It looks very flashy (hehe) and seems alike to a facebook game with all the spending of ‘points’ and meeting of ‘friends’.

Edit: Oh, it IS a kind of facebook game. Silly me.

5. Bull0 says:

I’d give it a try on my iPod or something, looks like it was made for mobile

6. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

This is probably the most degenerate, malicious game I have ever played.

Have fun watching numbers go up.

7. kwyjibo says:

The amount of funding this toy has received is ridiculous.

They have had 17 million dollars injected into this crock of shit. It’s going to crash and burn.

8. Inglourious Badger says:

WHAT!? This looks completely mentile

Plus was that GlaDOS narrating?

9. Tinus says:

I really liked the strange and curious narrative layer presented in the trailer, and so I gave it a try a while ago. Unfortunately, none of those elements seem to be reflected in actual play, and the game appears to be in the same family as Farmville and The Sims Social. For shame, devs, for shame…

10. DanPryce says:

So…. many…. pop-ups…..

• Berzee says:

Yeah, they’re not really even making a sort of halfhearted stab at a GUI that doesn’t look like facebook, are they?

Although everything from the GUI to the song seems intended to remind you at all times that this is just a computer game, so maybe it’s a deliberate and cohesive thing? Maybe the idea is that if you throw in a lot of popups and a lot of obviously-computery, obviously-not-pretending-to-be-real kind of things, people who would normally hesitate to play because MMOs are “nerdy” will be more willing to do it?

^ I don’t know if it actually makes the game seem less nerdy (for some reason I imagine more roleplayers in this kind of game than I do in, say, DAoC or Guild Wars) but maybe that’s the intent? WILD SPECULATION.

11. Magus44 says:

Can I just say, I would play the hell out of this. If it were not a MMO, with points.. and “friends” and all that. A 2D side scrolling trippy game, collecting recipes, fighting, exploring 11 cool looking giants dreams… WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!
    Wait… its one of THOSE games… No thanks.

12. Berzee says:

YAY
    An MMO that might not have underwear-people in it.

Edit: *watches video for four seconds* well that’s ironic. =P

13. Levanon says:

I played a fair bit of this during beta, and I did actually quite enjoy it. If you approach it as an interesting space to wander around, look at stuff, and arse about, it won’t steer you too far wrong.

I pretty much agree with everything in the writeup that fungus linked. The game is a ridiculous grind-fest if you want to get anywhere, but the social bits and sandboxiness work quite well. And the gui is pretty horrible. But, all that said, I do find myself going back now and then just to explore and do whatever takes my fancy, and at that it succeeds pretty well. I can’t see myself throwing money at it, which is kind of a problem, but I do enjoy it, and there are a bunch of interesting ideas in the game.

And I just love the theme song. Pretty sure it was stuck in my head for a solid week and a half or so after I first heard it.

14. lumenadducere says:

Yeah, I was in the beta for this, and I can’t say that I was too impressed. Granted, it’s a beta, and the developers had an impressive rate of updates in that time period, but it really does amount to a glorified Facebook game, albeit with a very nice style. You just…watch numbers go up, and for no particular reason whatsoever. Very disappointing after that wonderful trailer.

Comment on this story