I Spy LA Noire PC’s Release Date’n'Specs

By Alec Meer on September 28th, 2011 at 4:40 pm.

He's happy. Are you happy?

Release dates and system specifications: least entertaining of all the PC game-related facts. Oh well, it’s worth stating, given this is Rockstar’s first PC game in a while. Ambitious but oddball detective puzzle/action saga LA Noire is coming to PC as ‘the Complete Collection, which includes all the DLC release to date. In terms of PC-specific features, all we’re promised is “increased resolution and graphical detail along with keyboard remapping and gamepad functionality.” Plus NVIDIA 3D Vision support, but whatever.

When’s it due and what kind of PC will it need? I’m totally going to make you click Read The Rest Of This Entry to find out. SUCKER.

Specs, which suggest it needs a relatively but not oppressively high-end PC. Also, looks like it’s coming to OnLive:

- Operating System: Windows 7 / Windows Vista Service Pack 1 / Windows XP Service Pack 3 / OnLive for PC or Mac;
· Processor: Intel Dual Core 2.2GHz to Quad Core 3.2GHz / AMD Dual Core 2.4Ghz to Quad Core 3.2Ghz;
· RAM: 2GB to 8GB;
· Hard drive space: 16GB;
· Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB / Radeon HD 3000 512MB to Radeon HD 6850 1024MB.

Ported over by Rockstar Leeds – original devs Team Bondi having been publicly relieved of duties by Rockstar following a torrent of complaint from both sides – this will be all yours on November 8 (US) and in Europe on November 11 (thanks, retailers!). It’ll also be on Steam, by the way.

If you’re unfamiliar with what was until now chained to the console toys, here’s Jim’s rough guide to it.

, , , .

1. HelderPinto says:

Played this on my PS3, loved it to shit! Amazing production, had it’s flaws but it’s a great game with some never seen tech on it. So yeah, even tho the team who did it parted ways, it’s good to see R* bringing it to PC, against all odds.

• Captchist says:

Shame that at this point all the hype has died down. I’d have bought this when it came out on console. Today I’ve got other things I’m hyped for.
      A business argument for simultaneous release.

• paterah says:

Yeah me neither. Noone is talking about their experiences in this single player game anymore so I’m not going to get it for myself. Does that sound logical to you?

• aerozol says:

all customers =/= logical

2. Orija says:

inb4 we’d rather have RDR.

• skinlo says:

Aww, you posted that whilst I was typing :(

• Premium User Badge Big Murray says:

Rockstar must hear that more than Valve hears the words “Episode” and “Three”.

• GenBanks says:

I have an xbox 360 just to play RDR :(

It was worth it, but… yeah. It would have been glorious.

• ashereize says:

Me too! It’s even still set up ready to play any time, RDR in the drive. lol

• Captchist says:

I read as DDR :/

3. skinlo says:

I would much rather have Red Dead Redemption that this, which many consider to be a reasonably weak game.

• Bull0 says:

having played them both, in terms of design I prefer RDR, but I saw LA Noire through to the (somewhat unsatisfactory) end and can’t say the same of RDR.

• D3xter says:

I wouldn’t.

• The Colonel says:

Please just finish Minecraft, Rockstar. Don’t really give a toss about the rest.

• thegooseking says:

Have to say I prefer RDR to L.A. Noire, but L.A. Noire is on the other hand a lot more suited to PC than RDR is.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“L.A. Noire is on the other hand a lot more suited to PC than RDR is.”

I don’t agree with that at all. RDR is the most PC game not on a PC i have ever seen.

• thegooseking says:

I think what makes me say it’s less of a PC game is that the satisfaction of the horseriding and lasso action and everything really requires a gamepad. It’s not a case of preferring a gamepad but mouse and keyboard being an option. I really don’t think it would work on mouse and keyboard. I guess part of what PC gaming is to me is offering that choice.

L.A. Noire, on the other hand, would be just fine with mouse and keyboard.

• Jazz42 says:

I played the first two cases then got bored of it. The interviewing system was also a serious problem for me..it’s part of my job to interview witnesses, and trust me..it’s not like that.
      It was much too frustrating not to know what he was going to say and how he was going to say it for me.

• El_MUERkO says:

RDR has much the same controls as GTAIV, in my opinion when you are on foot in GTA the mouse and keyboard were a far better control scheme than the gamepad and since you do less driving/riding in RDR it makes even more sense.

• BobsLawnService says:

I’m honestly not being facetious but Jim, what makes a game like RDR more of a PC game than a console game. I can understand saying that about a complex strategy title but not really an open world shooter.

• Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

@BobsLawnService, you said “shooter” :p that one word.

• Donjo says:

L.A. Noire really isn’t all that great…. like people have pointed out, the interview system is really bad- and there’s not a whole lot more gameplay going on apart from this. Far too difficult to run pedestrians over! In my opinion RDR is definitely better, although that’s not an exceptional game either… the things they could have done with that world…

• Shadram says:

“I think what makes me say it’s less of a PC game is that the satisfaction of the horseriding and lasso action and everything really requires a gamepad.”

That’s odd, because my PC has a gamepad, I use it all the time. You must have one of those old fashioned ones without the new-fangled USB ports.

4. Schadenfreude says:

Richard Cobbett’s write-up of this really put me off. Not that I was overly keen to start with.

• Bull0 says:

He’s on the money. It kinda really sucks.

• jti says:

Thanks for the link! Really needed to read that.

• liquidsoap89 says:

I couldn’t even finish this game I got so frustrated with it. Every “ambitious” idea seems to be brought down by some ridiculous idea of how it should be implemented. I had way more fun playing Mafia 2 (which I would probably say this is most similar to ie: lots of driving, linear in an open world etc…).

Story time: I finally decided I had had enough when I had to do a mission which involved following a girl on foot without being seen. This involved walking, for roughly 15 minutes, hiding behind things whenever she turned around. After getting caught a few times during parts where I felt I shouldn’t have been caught, she gets in to a taxi and I then have to get in to my own car and follow her some more. Her taxi driver bugs out and just stops in the middle of an intersection, gets out of the car and just stands there. I try running in to the car and no matter what speed I went at, it didn’t even budge. I then ran over the taxi driver out of sheer frustration, also thinking maybe I would have failed the mission doing so. But nope, he died, and she just sat there. So I quit, never to return again.

• Bull0 says:

Sounds like a nasty bug. No game seems to put enough stock in QA these days

• passingstranger says:

Different strokes for different folks, you know? Anyone who comes into this expecting a “Rockstar” game is mistaken, as it’s really Team Bondi.

If, however, you want a crime procedural that you can play, then this is perfect for you.

• psyk says:

@liquidsoap89

I know it might hurt your leet hardcore gaming mentality but you can set an option to skip the action scenes if you fail to many times.

• mwoody says:

(redacted)

5. Freud says:

Won’t buy. If Rockstar wants to peddle their lesser games to us while not giving us the better games (that also would sell much more): screw them.

6. aldo_14 says:

Right, so what system specs will it need to actually run?

• db1331 says:

It can’t possibly be worse than GTA IV was at launch, right? Right?

• Kill_The_Drive says:

It will require a decent computer in 2016.

• MSJ says:

LA Noire is using a different engine from GTA4. RDR using the same engine as GTA4 is in fact one of the reasons I heard for it not getting a PC port.

7. db1331 says:

I’ll get it for $10 around Christmas 2012. Maybe I can even finish it before the zombie Mayans come back and wipe out all life on Earth.

8. WMain00 says:

Why do i get the grim feeling reading the specs that this game is going to be the same sort of resource hog that GTAIV was? Chewing through processing power while offering minimal visual experience.

• rayne117 says:

You didn’t think GTA IV looked good?

• Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

Not compared to the resources it required.

• Pointless Puppies says:

@rayne117:

Absolutely not. The texture work, lighting and geometry are especially poor for a game from 2008. Plus, like PoulWrist said, it’s far too much of a resource hog for the kind of visuals it puts out.

• MSJ says:

LA Noire uses its own engine, not GTA4′s RAGE engine.

9. Dana says:

Yep, but no. It wont sell well, it will be pirated like hell. Most of people who were interested in this game, finished it already, even those not having console themselves (like myself).

The game itself is fairly disappointing anyway. There are many better games better suited for having a PC port (Dark Souls).

• sneetch says:

I fear Dark Souls so much I’ve locked my PS3 away under the stairs… late at night I hear it scratching, scratching, always scratching!!

• sneetch says:

Also, I live in a bungalow! That’s how scary it is!

• db1331 says:

I also desperately want to get Dark Souls, but am trying to hold back. I still never beat Demon’s Souls, so I let that kick my ass over the weekend. I just picked up the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus pack yesterday though (never got to play either on the PS2) so hopefully that will help me fight the urge.

• paterah says:

Can you tell me the magic way of playing this game without a console other than going to my friends’ who don’t have a console either?

• Nallen says:

You can get Ico on PS3?

• Hoaxfish says:

they released an HD combo pack of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on PS3

10. Mollusc Infestation says:

Strange that they seem to be suggesting a maximum minimum spec as well.

• Alexander Norris says:

I presume that’s the recommended specs, not the maximum. That, or “specs needed to run the game with every graphical setting set on max,” which is something all games should give.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

What an absurd interpretation. I think mine is more likely.

11. Kenny007 says:

I’m playing through LA Noire currently on PS3 and my biggest qualm with the game is that my decisions seem to be entirely inconsequential. Sure, I’m bumble through a case stupidly (often with the right logic in my head, but stumble when debating between Doubt and Lie), missing a good portion of the questions, and I still get my guy. Sure, I won’t be earning all the trophies for a stellar career, but I’m not having any difficulty progressing through the story either.

I am a bit curious what it WOULD take to fail a case outside of inaction during timed events or perhaps shooting an innocent witness in the face. Hell, for the latter, there may be a trophy for that.

• Donjo says:

Yeah, some of the main gameplay elements of the game, and you’re not even required to do them well at all.. it just sort of streams you through no matter what. I did kind of enjoy the game, but there was never really any satisfaction later on when I realised that it hardly mattered what I did….

12. LennyLeonardo says:

If it helps anyone, I loved this game.

If you treat it like a kind of next-gen point and click adventure you might love it too. Plus, if you’re into the time period and/or the whole hard boiled detective genre (by which I mean if you love Raymond Chandler, which I do) then you will love this. Writing and performances are pretty much the best I’ve ever seen in a game.

This is a completely different game to RDR (which I also loved) and one that is arguably more at home on PC.

13. povu says:

11/11/11 eh? I’m busy.

14. DrGonzo says:

Don’t bother with the game. It may as well be completely uninteractive. It’s a series of minigames that have absolutely no effect on the plot, mixed in with hours and hours of boring plot that desperately tries to be LA Confidential but fails miserably.

• Donjo says:

It’s odd that they gave away L.A. Confidential with some copies, they basically ripped off massive sections of the plot, even characters! I wouldn’t say don’t bother, I’m sure some people could maybe possibly like it.

15. konrad_ha says:

I still vividly remember the release of GTA4 on the PC. It was then I took an oath to never buy Rockstar games for the PC again. I won’t have problems sticking to it.

16. caddyB says:

uncanny valley!

17. Matt7895 says:

I found the ending to be a real punch in the face, one of the worst I’ve seen in a video game.

18. mashakos says:

ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod …..

Was just about to bite the bullet and buy it for my hated PS3 this week.

No more induced jaggies torture! hooray!

19. Drake Sigar says:

There’s DLC?

• Zealuu says:

DLC is handled fairly well, it mostly comprises individual cases that can either be played straight away, or in their designated order in the chronology of the game (I’d recommend the latter).

20. Khemm says:

No news on DRM… I fear 2K made them use Steamworks this time, which would be disappointing.
    Is it more like an adventure game? Discworld Noir for example? Can you miss out on some stuff and accuse wrong people? If so, I’ll very interested.

• Zelius says:

Disappointing, huh? As opposed to them using Games for Windows Live?

21. Zealuu says:

Based on playing through the Xbox-version (yes, I’m one of those people)… It’s good if you liked Police Quest (the old games), and turn off as much of the handholding (“visual/audio cues”) as the game allows.

You have to give them some credit for making a game with a technological solution that allows them to competently tell an actor-heavy story, but the telling of the story suffers from the fact that this is essentially a graphical adventure game awkwardly forced into the framework of a GTA clone, complete with “okayish” shooting-from-cover action and driving. That would be forgivable if the story was amazing, but it doesn’t take long before the overarching plot gets predictable, eventually revealing itself as drawing more on LA Confidential and the likes than on actual noire film. I find that odd, given that some of the self-enclosed plotlines that follow individual or series of cases can be downright thrilling – I felt, for instance, that the homicide desk cases offered a vastly more satisfying build-up and conclusion than the main plot.

I won’t be buying this again, but I would buy RDR a second time if they ever got around to porting that.

22. Zarx says:

A console port that recommends 8GB of RAM? That is interesting I wonder what they added that meant they felt going 64bit was necessary, also the recommended GPUs are pretty insane as well for console port.

• DK says:

Isn’t it nice having to do absolutely no work on optimizing whatsoever? Console ports requiring more hardware than the console they come from by a factor of 10 “normal”.

23. Tasloi says:

Good to hear it won’t be using GFWL at least. From a R* rep:

“L.A. Noire for PC will not use Games for Windows Live. If you buy the game from Steam it will support Steamworks with achievements, however keep in mind that you will not get Steamworks functionality if you purchase the game at retail.”

• Khemm says:

A game which doesn’t force us to install Steam when bought via a retail channel? WHAT IS THIS TRAVESTY I DON’T EVEN…

Actually, awesome news! No spyware included = more inclined to buy.

• LionsPhil says:

Oh you, and your repeated lie that Steam is spyware.

It will probably have a machine-locked limited-activations DRM system instead. Choose your poison.

• Jason Moyer says:

It will probably install 30 gigs to your hard drive and make you put the DVD in everytime you play, anyway. Which is still the absolute worst form of copy protection, ever.

• Vinraith says:

I’ll take a disc check over Steam any day of the week. For one thing, they’re trivially easy to crack.

24. Davie says:

I may or may not pick this up, but it’s simply glorious that I no longer have to anxiously scan the system requirements in the hope that my ancient GPU might meet the bottom line. Of course, now I’m completely broke, but it was worth it.

25. BobsLawnService says:

So who eill be buying this instead of Skyrim, Rage or Serious Sam because I certainly won’t be.

26. Coins says:

This will flop, and pirates will get the blame.

• Hoaxfish says:

Well, one of two things

I thought this was already out because the hype for it had died down…
      1. I couldn’t buy the game when the hype was there since it wasn’t on PC
      2. Now that reviews are out calling it a bit shit, I certainly don’t want to buy it.

Thank you “time to PC port” delays.

But yes, those damnable pirates destroying our sales, and nothing else to fault. lol.

27. akumen says:

Too little too late. Steam sale item. Will not pay full money for a console port that is coming so late.

• psyk says:

But you would pay for a console port if it was released at around the same time as the console release?

• Pointless Puppies says:

I can’t speak for akumen, but for me it would certainly help.

The fact that RDR actually sold a decent amount, that we never got that ported to the PC, and that a PC port of LA Noire was announced only after sales were lukewarm make it extremely obvious this is just a last-minute cash grab that’s only being made because it didn’t sell as well as they wanted on consoles. Had it sold a decent amount we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Again, I can’t speak for akumen, but I certainly don’t get excited when a developer treats the PC as a place for sloppy seconds (and boy does this sound sloppy. 8GB of RAM? Are you kidding me?).

28. KenTWOu says:

Tom Bissell’s Press X for Beer Bottle: On L.A. Noire is worth reading too.

29. Iskariot says:

I did want this game on PC, but that particular month has so many other top releases. They should have released it simultaneously with the console versions when they had the chance, or in june when there was very little else going on.
    I still want this, but I probably won’t be buying it this year. First I will have to finish Rage, Batman, Skyrim and the New Assassin’s Creed and perhaps Saints Row 3 and Max Payne 3. By that time it is probably february or march 2012, which means Mass Effect 3, Prey 2 and Prototype 2 will possibly be released etc. etc. When I get around to playing LA Noir it is quite likely to be found in the bargain bin for 20 bucks or so. Of course I do not mind that, but Rockstar should have thought about this. November 2011 is the worst choice in game release history.

30. mwoody says:

Eh, while you’ll certainly be pissed off by how the game can railroad you, what it does is unique and interesting enough to be worth a look. It’s not that it’s more linear than most games, really, it’s just it does such a good job at first making you think your choices matter that hitting a wall where you can’t do what seems right is really frustrating.

And that facial capture technology is a thing that needs to be seen to be believed.

All in all, it’s not a full-price purchase, but in the $20-30 range I’d say grab it, expect little, and be pleasantly surprised at points.

31. celozzip says:

ah great i looked this up the other day and it said either 22nd or 27th of dec, so november is great. i’ve booked off the first week of november to play bf3, shame l.a. isnt coming out then.

32. matrices says:

LA Noire fell flat on its face for me. One of those rare titles I bought to play with my wife, since she went to school for screenwriting and is working on a script and loves crime stuff.

Anyway, first interview: failed it like three times because “you” start off with a question, the suspect answers a bit before venting about anti-Semitism, and then I’m looking at my response options in puzzlement because I don’t know if I’m supposed to be responding to the answer portion of his answer or the digression.

And then instead of restarting from there, I have to go through the entire exchange again to get to that failure point.

Too little control.

33. donmcarthur says:

I wonder if the only reason we are getting LA Noire on the PC, is because it didn’t sell well enough on the console. Unlike Red Dead Redemption, which sold like gangbusters.

• Hidden_7 says:

That seems like such an odd rationale though. Either you believe something will sell well enough to justify the resources spent porting it, and thus you should port it, or you don’t, in which case, don’t. Something that sold poorly seems less likely to make money on a different platform than something that sold well. And the idea that you’re trying to ‘justify’ a game by getting it to a magic benchmark of money made just seems like throwing good money after bad.

If RDR could make more money on the PC than it costs to port it, then it makes sense to do so; it’s not like it’s already made “enough” money. You can always make more.
      Likewise, if LA Noire did poorly on other systems, why waste money after the fact porting it to another system (one known for weaker sales) where it will likely do poorly as well. Accept your losses and move on.

34. Screamer says:

I’ll prolly get it from the bargain bin…. not for the price they are asking for it :/

35. Cerebulon says:

I can understand that they want it out for Christmas and such, but the 11th of November?
    Is a single person in all of Europe going to have a split second to spare with the release of Skyrim? No. No they aren’t.

36. swedishbacon says: