Will We Populate The Repopulation?

By Jim Rossignol on September 28th, 2011 at 7:54 am.

The name suggests it should be a game about... y'know *repopulating*?
Above and Beyond Technologies have announced the existence of a new MMO, dubbed The Repopulation. It’s powered by off-the-shelf MMO system Hero Engine and is described by its creators like this: “You begin your adventure as a second generation clone colonist on the planet of Rhyldan, with mankind on the verge of extinction, and in the midst of a civil war. We’ve taken a fresh look at every feature of the Massive Multiplayer genre, with an eye on revolution, rather than evolution. The end result is a unique feature set aimed towards old school fans and new players alike.” Hmm! So what sort of unique features? Well, “Hybrid approach which blends Sandbox and Theme Park mechanics.” That sounds promisingish. “City building system allows Nations to form their own cities complete with Walls, Turrets, Harveters, Workshops, Houses, and other forms of structures geared towards benefiting the owning character, or the City as a whole.” More interesting! “Be rewarded for your travel through the exploration system.” That’s interesting, too.

“Pre-alpha” video, below. It certainly looks like a sci-fi MMO.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tei says:

If you want to repopulate the planet, make love not war.

2. Lobotomist says:

Let me open this up with few jokes

– If i had a dime for every MMO that never seen release day. I would have 10 bucks now.

– Wake me up in 6 years when this is released

3. oddboyout says:

Getting a Fallout vibe from this.

4. Cunzy1 1 says:

“with mankind on the verge of extinction, and in the midst of a civil war. We’ve taken a fresh look at every feature of the Massive Multiplayer genre, with an eye on revolution, rather than evolution. The end result is a unique feature set aimed towards old school fans and new players alike”

SERIOUSLY? Is the big box of cliches on offer somewhere?

5. Binho says:

Hah, I’ve always wanted to see more games about colonising a new, alien planet. To bad the art style and the world and creature design look so generic. And it’s focused on fighting. You’d think exploring the planet and cataloguing new species would be a priority.

6. Bull0 says:

Find myself wondering why the player-created town wasn’t at all sci-fi. It looked medieval, frankly. Kind of broke the illusion a little bit. Otherwise that looked fairly cool

7. zeekthegeek says:

I’ll stick with ArcheAge for getting my Sand-Park MMO hopes up for now. Even then they’re pretty reserved, and every time a new sandbox is announced I can’t help dread the inevitable cry for open world PvP – which has almost unanimously been terrible in modern products.

8. Ezhar says:

Looks like a crappier version of Tabula Rasa.

9. sneetch says:

I liked the dragon at the start, it’s completely in the wrong game but not fazed by it at all: I like its moxy!

Pity the combat looks so dull because the idea of building your own base could be fun. Except for when you log on after a weekend away and you find that someone has trashed the place.

• RaytraceRat says:

I’ve logged in to express my opinion about the video, but you’ve already did this.

• Askeladd says:

Well I Imagined a base on a hostile planet would look more like a fortress instead of some 3rd world huts with nato-barbwire.

I Imagine something like the scientist bunker in STALKER.

Well anyway – What I really think is that the story writing of this game needs to be superb.
      If it doesn’t give you a feeling that what you are doing has meaning it won’t interest me.
      GW2 and SWTOR will redefine the genere in a big or many small ways.

hexapodium says:

It has at least one dragon, but Skyrim promises infinite dragons. CLEARLY THE GAME IS WORTHLESS.

10. Hoaxfish says:

second generation clone

So, it’s about making MMOs?

11. Dances to Podcasts says:

The description made me think ‘Alpha Centauri, the MMO’, but then the video made their logos look better than their game… Seriously needs an injection of style. :(

12. Dominic White says:

Stand 15 feet away from the other guy, shooting each other with huge guns until one of you runs out of HP? Yeah, the combat looks atrocious and immediately put me off the game. The screenshot looked kinda like something from Atlantica Online, which managed to be faster-paced and more solid than most MMO combat engines despite being turn-based, but it seems they’ve just gone for a more traditional and less interesting style.

13. TomEllinson says:

Man, WoW With city building! How exciting!

14. nanophage says:

wait . . . what?
    We can clone but we’re on the verge of extinction?
    Well, no one said MMO storylines had to make much sense I guess.

15. Sharka says:

[Alpha Squad] Hardcore PvP/Crafting | non-zerg + strict recruitment. | most likely playing as mercenaries. visit http://www.asquad.enjin.com for more info.