Conquering: 23 Minutes Of BF3′s 64-Player

By Jim Rossignol on September 29th, 2011 at 6:29 pm.

VG247 points out that one of the people who got access to the 64-player Caspian Border map in the Battlefield 3 beta last night has uploaded 23 minutes of it running at fairly high settings. You can see that footage below. There’s quite a bit of wandering about and taking potshots at distant aircraft, but it gives you a good idea of how impressive the game is looking.

I’ve been playing a bit of the beta myself, and I’ll have some impressions soon. Silly browser-based server browser aside, it’s been a fantastic experience so far. It’s got the solidity of the other Battlefield games, but it feels like a significant step up in terms of look, feel, and scale. Not sure about the changes to the classes or the unlock system yet, but the combat feels right, and that means I can’t wait to have a go at a 64-player map.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SuaveMongrel says:

I believe anyone on the PC beta can get into Caspian Border. The servers are passworded and are changing constantly, but the current password is “shoppingcartsareagoodride” without quotations.

It’s a very good map, latency is rather high and the FPS drops every so often, but it’s very very good.
    I love hiding in the shadows watching enemy jets fly by and shooting them down leaving the allied pilot following them blind momentarily in the huge explosion left by the jet.

• TWeaK says:

Just to save anyone any disappointment: Caspian has been shut down. Actually, that’s pretty disappointing whichever way you find out about it, but at least you won’t have to go look for it.

They’re giving the impression that it won’t be back for the rest of the beta either :(

• Clavus says:

Appears that there are two unpassworded 32 player Caspian Border servers running right now, called IGROMIR – EVENT. You’ll need a lot of luck to get into them though.

EDIT: aaaand they just disappeared :’(

2. Trans says:

Dear God, it’s glorious…

3. caddyB says:

This might just be the first pure FPS I’ve bought since Unreal Tournament.

4. LieutLaww says:

latency tends to go high when us players join the uk servers when they cant get on their own ones, also yes it is glorious

5. jti says:

Somebody makes a video and plays like that? To laugh or cry…

6. simoroth says:

brrrrddddddddddddt

7. povu says:

Mr. Biscuit also has around 50 minutes of Caspian Border footage.

8. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

There is a trick that allows you to enter the servers without the password. Will likely be patched away before release ofc. Not gonna post here but google and look around the official forums and you’ll find it.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Relevant because they change the password every now and then, requiring you to go treasure hunting instead of shooting men.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Oh and the game is awesome.

• battles_atlas says:

Whats the point of telling people it exists but making them google for it, just out of interest?

• Turbinator says:

In Google Chrome, click the passworded Server, when the password enter field comes up, Press cntrl, shift, J and type this code: launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }

Now hit enter, and hit OK in the password enter box.

9. Shogobunky says:

So very fantastic

10. ChampionHyena says:

Where’d that gigantic religious screed go? I had “DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR” all lined up.

11. DrGonzo says:

Are you some kind of Jesus-bot?

EDIT- Comment was deleted.

12. LieutLaww says:

they change the password but its normally posted on zh1nt0′s battleblog page.

13. Shooop says:

So Medal of Honor 2008 with prone, vehicles, and Direct X 11 equals “ZOMG SO MUCH BETTER THAN COD!!” these days?

Talk about lowered expectations.

• Sardukar says:

Hmm. Well, what were your expectations, then? I’m open to the idea of improvements in these quasi-realistic war face-shooters, but I’m not expecting miracles. It plays like a fusion of BC2 and BF, with snazzy graphics. Yay?

As for being a “pure” FPS, as far as categories matter, ( not damn much), not really. Prone, regenerating health, vehicles, human-movement-speed, you name it. It has RPG style unlocks and ranks, of course. There are many, many hoops to hop through before you can shoot someone, and you will be unlikely to kill more than a half dozen people per map section, really. Dozen tops unless you spend waaaay too much time playing these.

Wonder what the Single player will be like.

• Shooop says:

@ Sardukar,

My expectations were something much better than Call of Duty. All the trash talk of how much better Battlefield was going to be compared to the stale old “same thing different name” Call of Duty turns out to be absolute bullshit. DICE should be utterly ashamed, but I doubt they’re capable of shame anymore seeing how they handled the buggy messes of 2142 and Bad Company 2.

The most disgraceful thing about all this is how people are reacting to it. The same people who chew out Activsion and their revolving door of developers for CoD being frozen in time are cheering over the same damn thing they snubbed for being “too much like CoD” just because it has prone, some vehicles, and a different title.

It’s not just lowered expectations, it’s complete hypocrisy.

• westyfield says:

I love how you say vehicles as if it’s just some three-syllable word with no meaning.

“Oh, it’s only VEHICLES. Nothing to worry about there then. Only TANKS and JETS and HELICOPTER GUNSHIPS. Bo-ring!”

• Tams80 says:

Good one westyfield. Pretty much summed up what I wanted to say.

• Shooop says:

And I love even more westyfield is that plenty of other games have tanks, helicopters, and more, but just by using a specific typeface and the word “Battlefield” it’s magically the best thing ever created.

Remember Quake Wars? Frontlines Fuel For War? Crysis? Unreal Tournament 2004? Unreal Tournament 3? ARMA 2? PlanetSide? Tribes 2? Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising? Command and Conquer Renegade?

Holy shit, they have these magical things that automatically any game amazing called vehicles too! They must all be the greatest games ever created by default!

• FriendlyFire says:

Those games you list were either flawed (UT3, Frontlines), didn’t appeal (Quake Wars) or were in fact revered and loved (UT2K4, Crysis, Arma 1/2/3, etc.). Is it that because two games are similar, NOBODY can like the newer of the two?

Plus, trying to compare UT2K4 and BF3 in any way just shows how much you’re grasping at straws.

• Shooop says:

@FriendlyFire

You mean westyfield is grasping at straws. Since he’s the one who’s telling me how vehicles are all it takes to make a game suddenly the best thing ever. Reading and comprehension are your friends, stop neglecting them.

• Burning Man says:

@Shooop

This is why I hate rational arguments with people on the internet. You are upset over the fact that people are fawning over Battlefield 3 while ignoring/hating on COD, for having things you regard not worthy of celebrating. westyfield pointed out the flippant manner in which you addressed vehicles and stated an opinion that they were not, in his opinion, worthy of flippancy. You then extend this to assume that the world at large, and presumably he, use vehicles to determine that Battlefield is the best thing since hot breakfast. Which is totally not what he said.

See that little logic jump there? Don’t do that.

• theblazeuk says:

Obvious troll is trolling

Either that or obvious fool is being foolish. Love the weird line of argument he’s pursuing, from his fury at the HYPOCRISY of those looking forward to BF3 because it’s failed to meet his personal expectations (and the weird backhanded way of expressing his undying fealty to COD)

• Nallen says:

@Shooop
      I love how you’ve completely failed to articulate what your expectations were or why they’ve not been met. Just stated ‘this is bad and the things you think make it good, don’t.’

I would love to hear your zany new ideas for a team based multiplayer fps game with vehicles which will doubtless have us all drooling.

• Shooop says:

@theblazeuk

Hope you’re saving up for a GED because you’re not going to get far in life without the ability to read English.

The points in bold typeface because maybe the little pretty flashing lights on your computer are distracting to you:

Battlefield 3 is basically Medal of Honor 2008.

Medal of Honor 2008 was a Call of Duty clone which everyone hated because of that.

But because it has the name “Battlefield” bolted on to it everyone seems to be calling it the greatest thing to ever happen to PC gaming.

Should I italicize it for you too junior? Alright, can do!

Battlefield 3 is basically Medal of Honor 2008.

And pulling that I’m all about Call of Duty is just out and out retarded. What cavernous region of your sphincter did you reach into to pull that from?

• Shooop says:

@Nallen
      It’s easier to chart this.
      - Medal of Honor 2008 was called a poor CoD clone.
      - Most PC gamers thought so too and it bombed.
      - Now here’s Battlefield 3.
      - It’s basically Medal of Honor 2008 but with new graphics.

But oh no! Apparently I’m so horribly wrong and awful for considering a name change and some new graphics as not being good enough for a new game that’s been years in development! Oh how DARE I!

The vehicles bit was brought up because someone told me I was not excited about them enough. Even though about 75% of all the FPS games that have come out the past 5 years have had them… Do you see what I’m getting at? Mediocre shooter + vehicles doesn’t equal excellent new game. It equals mediocre shooter with vehicles. Stop being fucking obtuse.

This is as bad as the CoD fans. Suddenly all it takes to make what was previously called a mediocre at best game into GOTY material is a name change, some fancy new graphics and it not being CoD. It’s exactly as obnoxious, childish, and stupid as the CoD fans calling their stagnant, fossilized series the best thing to ever happen to FPSs.

• grundus says:

How can you even compare COD to BF? One is a very fast paced manshooter on small, tight maps, the other is a slower paced, more tactical manshooter on huge maps. Yes, they both have guns, and yes, you can now go prone in both, but both of those features are in Arma 2, Ghost Recon and countless other games.

Ok, so they both have similar aesthetics, but can you really blame either developer(s) for trying to appeal to a wider range of gamer? Show me where DICE have given players the ability to teleport short distances to knife people, survive any fall or call a pack of attack dogs to come and kill everyone so they don’t have to, and I’ll show you where whoever is making COD has implemented real-time environment destruction, incredibly hard-to-kill (for the average infantry) tanks which can rack up insane amounts of deathpoints and the ability to spawn on a squadmate.

Different games are different. I love Battlefield because I prefer tactical to run & gun gameplay, I like sniping (no, real sniping, not hitscan neutrinospeed weightless bullet sniping at a maximum of 75 metres), I like the vehicles and I like the fact that BF generally gets more things right than other games of the type. Oh and the sound design is incredible, not enough manshoots really pay attention to the sound, BF3 really sounds genuine to me.

Oh and to say DICE are just as guilty of effortless rehashes as the COD franchise, did you not notice that the MW3 multiplayer trailer featured the exact same animation and even the same trucks which explode in the same way as in MW2? BF3 might not be absolutely new either, but come on, that’s just shameful. What have they been doing since MW2? Modelling guns, maps and thinking up new perks doesn’t take two years when you have as much money as Activision does.

TL,DR: BF and COD are only similar in the fact that you use guns to shoot people who also have guns. Oh and you can now lie down in BF as well.

• Nallen says:

Do you mean Medal of Honor 2010, the modern one? I have to assume so.

Ok so as far as I can tell (I’ve not played it mind) MoH doesn’t have destructible scenery, anything like the same quality of sound or animation (yes, immersion is a feature as far as I’m concerned), vehicles (your favourite ;)), 64 player maps, squad mechanics or rush/conquest style gameplay modes.

For me this is enough to differentiate BF3 from MoH.

Still though you side-stepped my point. What did you EXPECT and what do you WANT? Because it seems like all you want is for people to be unimpressed.

• Shooop says:

@grundus

You’re right there’s no killstreaks and perks, and yes it’s meant to be fairly accessible shooters instead of hyper-realistic sims like ARMA. That I get. But what bothers me is that’s pretty much it after how many years in development?

The gunplay itself which is the main focus, is just identical to what we’ve seen already which would be if it wasn’t being hyped it as the second coming and they weren’t asking for $60. As for recycled animation, did you notice the first person death animation with the hand? That’s actually the same exact death animation in the MoH single player mode. While they didn’t copy/paste as much as CoD’s devs are, they are still doing it which again would be fine… If the gameplay didn’t feel so much like something already done. The sound is something DICE does consistently well though. I still wonder who makes the sounds for CoD guns and if they ever heard a real gun before instead of movie props.

What I’m comparing is how little the two games have changed over so long. And since MoH was blasted for being an attempt to copy CoD’s mechanics it’s really not a good sign BF3 has so much in common with it.

But of course if you liked MoH and just wanted more vehicles to shoot people with then this is your game. No problem with that. But the talk of it being so much better than anything else we’ve seen is ridiculous.

• Shooop says:

@Nallen

Yes. I completely botched the date.

And what I wanted and expected from BF3 was a $60 game with years of development and talk of it being something that challenges the stagnant CoD series (from the developers no less) that wasn’t so much like the game most people slammed for being to much like CoD. If that’s all people wanted, then that’s OK. But telling me it’s not OK to point that out? I sense a bit of unfairness here.

MoH did have a rush/conquest mode of sorts, just on a small scale, and yes the animation sucked compared to BF3′s. But what BF3 is borrowing too heavily from it are its gameplay mechanics. Really not the best game to borrow much of anything from.

In short, yes it looks great, sounds great, and allows for lots of players. That’s all good. But once you start shooting, it feels familiar in some of the wrong ways.

14. digby5000 says:

I’m always amazed at how much work Dice puts into sound effects. Incredible.

15. jetRink says:

I can’t believe that they haven’t solved the people-standing-around-waiting-for-a-plane problem. There are half a dozen ways that problem could be fixed.

• Nalano says:

This has “Battlefield” game written all over it. Teamplay is necessary yet largely nonexistent, people steal vehicles and then drive to random places or crash them… yeah.

You can’t fix stupid.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I have just spawned 2 miles from the front line with 4 other people. The only vehicle left is an APC, which holds 6 people. Should I wait 4 seconds for them to catch up and get on board? Or are they going to be left staring into space for the 2 minutes it will take for the respawning vehicles to reappear?

16. ZillaRacing says:

looks boring. not much action.

17. c4llum says:

password is shoppingcartsareagoodride enjoy!

18. Sicram says:

Is it just me who thinks that the radio voice sounds very muck like the radio voices in Star Wars Republic Commando? :P

19. YanDaik says:

ok. its bad company 2. nothing new. and kind of laggy.

20. Fox89 says:

I had a go on Caspian border myself tonight. It was a US server so very laggy, but very fun! Definitely the way it’s meant to be played. Not surprised people are standing around waiting for vehicles…can you blame them? It can be quite hard to get on the Caspian servers, and people want to try out the helicopters and jets.

I had a go on each and discovered something interesting: I can’t fly. At all. So I crashed after a minute or so on each. Still! Really fun map, can’t wait to play it (and, presumably, others like it…) next month.

21. Burning Man says:

Watching this makes me want Skyrim more.

22. Helmholtz says:

Fast-mover appears to be a little of a misnomer in this case.

23. Zetetic says:

I wish there wasn’t so much farting in the game.

Also,
    Which bloody objective? STOP SAYING THAT.

24. akumen says:

Yes, just about everyone has had a go on CB by now ;) It is impossible to get onto the servers because they are full all the time. Bugs aside, CB is amazing … Metro was giving everyone the wrong impression. People are still figuring things out and there is plenty of people who do not know what they hell they are doing or supposed to be doing. While there are already lvl 50s after two days of beta and already people cheating since server aren’t cheat protected, and as always people glitching already. Can’t wait for administrated servers with cheat protection.

Jets feel a bit underpowered or may be people haven’t unlocked all the toys for them yet but I didn’t feel pested by them like I was in BF2 … I guess people I still learning. I actually felt that it was a little too easy to pest them with an Igla/Stinger. Choppers didn’t annoy me much either, unlike BC2 where they would constantly base rape and circle strafe making them very hard to take down. Tried flying a jet, but didn’t know the controls at the time and crashed it within a minute of take of … choppers are reasonably easy to fly but I feel they are so much easier to take down than in BC2.

25. Bantu says:

I’m offended by the lack of british accent option on the soldier voices. Having said that it seems like quite a decent way of pulling you in the game while also giving useful info!

26. Lev Astov says:

I’m pretty pissed at how impotent that AA vehicle looked. Maybe he just really sucked, but I didn’t see him even cause damage to anything and he was firing the whole time. Even at 2:35 when that enemy plane came in slow and steady straight for him, he fired and it pulled away and flew off without appearing damaged! The AA was way too weak in BF2, but even I could obliterate an aircraft that tried coming straight at me in that game.

What the heck?!

I guess I’ll just have to try my hand at it later tonight.

27. Sunjammer says:

The more realistic that game looks, the stranger the slow fighter jets look. Maybe I’ve just played too much DCS A-10 recently..

28. gayylalgli says:

tu van seo
    I see plenty of 24/7 Metro 64 player servers doing the rounds, and I love playing on those servers, but would really like to see a 24/7 Bazaar 64 player server running on GameArena! Bazaar offers a **** of variety in terms of gameplay and tactics, and the outcome of matches are always extremely broad in comparison to the other vanilla maps! I was looking forward to the B2K maps when they were coming, but once they got here, they just seemed same ol’, same ol’! I guess I ran them into the ground in BF2!

Comment on this story