ExTemplary: Broken Sword Free At GOG

By Adam Smith on September 29th, 2011 at 4:19 pm.

I too often root through garbage looking for free games. No more!
This doesn’t require a great deal of thought. If you don’t already own the Director’s Cut of Broken Sword, I’d recommend dashing over to Good Old Games in your internet vehicle of choice, for there you can download it for free. GOG are celebrating their six millionth download and this is their way of partying. How jolly nice of them. If you haven’t already played it and have even a passing interest in point and click games, conspiracy theories or gorgeous hand-drawn graphics, this really is your lucky day. The offer ends October 1st, 7.59 AM EDT so you’ve got plenty of time, but don’t dally. Onward!

, , , , .

1. Matt7895 says:

You can get the original too through the bonus materials section.

2. LionsPhil says:

Yoink! Got the boxed original, but having a copy on GOG is a nice bonus.

Don’t remember it in great detail, other than it’s a little flat and talk-talk-talk-heavy in places, but Revolution are good guys and it’s not a bad game that I recall.

3. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Great, I thoroughly enjoyed the DC version – it is streamlined well (I prefer in-game hints to searching around for walkthroughs on the net) and the new story arc is not that bad. And the portraits in dialogues are pretty…
    I have got my copy from GG, but I am grabbing GOG version as well, because I want the OST.

4. Brian Rubin says:

I’ll never play the game (I lost my patience for adventure games long ago), but I’ll take any game on GoG with a soundtrack (I’m a total video game soundtrack addict). :) Yay!

5. Jams O'Donnell says:

Nico Collard’s living room is massive.

• Lukasz says:

It is. And she seems not to be paid well. My guess rich daddy got her apartment when she was still studying.

I do have original game but I did not play DC.

6. Dana says:

Not only you can download it, but you can own it. It automatically adds itself to your GoG collection.

7. Schadenfreude says:

Didn’t John Walker do some of the writing on the Director’s Cut? Will have to give it a play I suppose. On the whole it’s an enjoyable series (Apart from that god damned goat).

8. Eclipse says:

oh man don’t even remind me how bad was that…

9. Ysellian says:

I actually liked them for doing it. It reminded me why drm-free games are good, because despite them shutting down I could still play all my games I bought from them.

10. sneetch says:

Rather nice, I like GOG, I really liked being able to buy some of those GOGs I had back in the day. I wish someone would add Silent Storm to it.

Ultima 4,5 and 6 are now available too, Ultima VI! That game was truly amazing!

11. phenom_x8 says:

More love for GOG from me ! They surely have a nice community in their forum section (a lots of them giving away free games, I even got one) BTW, time to DL this game!

12. Squirrelfanatic says:

Nico Collard is hot!

Stellar Duck says:

Excellent alt-text!

And I grabbed the game too, even though I already have it on Steam. It’s a good game.

Carra says:

Played this over a decade ago, an amazing game. Want to replay this game one of these days. Then again, it’s already in my gog catalogue so no freebie for me :(

15. Shih Tzu says:

I bought this a few months ago, but after half an hour I kind of got annoyed and stopped playing. None of the characters seemed remotely realistic. I mean, I get that it’s fun adventure fantasy and I should let a lot of it slide, but I couldn’t get over the artificiality of the setup: the way the wife of the tycoon barely seemed to react to his being assassinated, the way the journalist jumped into mystery-investigation mode (and the wife was like “Oh OK you go ahead with that dear”) without bothering to convince me that this was plausible, the similarly implausible way the tourist guy decides to behave like an adventure-game investigator about two seconds after he nearly gets blown up at a cafe.

On the puzzle side, I remember being annoyed by something poorly designed in a substitution-cipher puzzle. I think it was that the remaining word was an unfamiliar name of some sort, and there were several possible letters that could have plausibly gone into it (since they didn’t show up anywhere else in the cipher). And yet, somehow the journalist lady magically knew which of the letters was right, because it only triggered her “Aha! I solved it!” dialogue when you picked a certain one of them.

I believe most of my complaints come from the portion of the game that was apparently tacked on as a bonus intro chapter for the new edition, but still, at that point I wasn’t convinced that anything after that would especially impress me, and I had a bunch of other games I wanted to check out, so that’s where I quit. On the plus side, it’s free! So you’re all welcome to grab it and then laugh at me for being wrong.

• djbriandamage says:

Yes, the story is kind of incoherent and sometimes characters suddenly veer 90 degrees and act as if we should have seen it coming (I’m withholding spoilers), but there’s a lot of charm and wittiness to be found in this game. The dialogue is often clever and the characters are likeable and unique. A huge adventure game fan myself I was surprised to learn, after just finishing this game on Nintendo DS, that this was a whole series on PC!

16. Khemm says:

GOG is digital distribution done right. It’d be awesome if publishers had the guts to release new games there after a certain DRM’d period, so maybe I could buy some games in a Steamless form.

• Kefren says:

Oh yes, that would be fantastic! So many publishers would then get sales to me that they wouldn’t have otherwise. And no doubt I would re-purchase games I have in boxes or from GamersGate too… I imagine I would end up bankrupt. I buy more (DRM-free) games than I can play anyway.

• Tams80 says:

All you need to do is wait for your games to condense. You could let them deposit if you want the boxed copies.

17. MuscleHorse says:

To be fair, they never said they were shutting down. They only said something along the lines of ‘we cannot continue as we are’. Everyone just jumped the gun and screamed about their games being lost.