The Syndicate Announcement Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on September 29th, 2011 at 1:45 pm.

Okay, here it is: the first Syndicate trailer. Heavy on the dubstep and men in trenchcoats. Gosh, this makes me realise that the original Syndicate came out in the era before there were generally trailers for games.

- No waving policeman?
- HUD elements at 0:34 look interesting.
- Gosh, they meant that “breaching” enemies thing, at 0:40.
- 0:50: wubwubstep!
- 1:03: a boot stamping on a human face. Forever?
- I like the casually shooting people at 1:16.
- Some men certainly get shot.
- No sign of co-op yet?
- Logo is a bit weak. Looks like Any Old Action Movie font.

, , .

1. Unaco says:

I was quite optimistic about this to begin with. Now I’m even more encouraged… because the player character seems to be a total c*nt. I was worried they’d have made him something of the good guy in a bad situation sort of thing. But I’m fairly sure we just saw him get to a prisoner by persuading/breaching a Policeman, getting him to shoot his partner and then himself… watch a Scientist shoot himself in order to destroy a chip or information, and then surgically extract it from his lifeless corpse… repeatedly smash an unarmed man’s face through a computer monitor.

I think Miles Kilo is going to be something of an Anti Jensen. And woe to any man that takes the piss of his name.

• Jimbo says:

Nah he’s just a good guy with a control chip. He’ll be a goodie by the end of the game for sure.

2. destroy.all.monsters says:

Doesn’t look too bad surprisingly enough. I still think the idea of a single agent is a poor one as agents were typically brought off the street unwillingly, brainwashed and turned into mindless killing machines. Doesn’t make sense given the lore that you’d be attached to just one. Plus most missions were multi agent ones. I’d think that if one dies you simply replace him with another. The death penalty basically being one of hassle and expense rather than caring whether the character lives or dies.

So it makes me wonder what the character’s motivation will be if he’s not brainwashed. Why do it? I really hope it doesn’t turn into a similar trope to Kane (of Kane and Lynch). The one thing that makes DXHR so great is the human interactions and that you are, in essence, playing a story rather than just shooting everything on rails.

Also where is the gauss gun?

Wow those pre-order bonuses in the Executive Pack are utterly worthless- gold skins! Woo! Really? EA’s collector’s editions always suck but this is particularly lame.

3. Jimbo says:

Was that Brian Cox at the start of the trailer?

Phinor says:

Looks like action Deus Ex. I could live with that.

5. Stevostin says:

Unexpected : me excited. You seem to really play an asshole this time. Looks outrageous – I expect the watchdogs to scream on suiciding the cops.

6. Dominic White says:

For those worried about it being about a solo agent, they’ve confirmed a seperate multiplayer campaign which involves 4 agents, and the missions are apparently direct remakes of ones from the original Syndicate.

7. Tei says:

Is weird that only one agent is show. I think syndicate is about 4 agents. Can’t have changed that.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Syndicate has zero nostalgia value for myself, so my opinions can be summarised thusly: Stylish ultra-violence coupled with Starbreeze’s trademark physicality? Yes please.

Also, COX!

9. Zeewolf says:

I don’t know what dubstep is, but I certainly liked the music.

10. abigbat says:

Great trailer, not enough leading huge lines of civilians about for no reason.

11. ChiefOfBeef says:

My main worry? Given the polish, this game will be four hours long.

• Askeladd says:

Oh thats long! Space marine took me only 3! Those nasty unskipable cutscenes!
      This maybe off-topic but.. No really what did they do 4 years long developing Space Marine?

• abigbat says:

build an excellent engine/platform from which they can expand the universe? Create a strong singleplayer experience and a surprisingly detailed multiplayer? Any longer and the mechanics would have become too repetitive.

• Archipelagos says:

If game mechanics get repetitive after only three hours play then that’s a problem with the mechanics, not anything else. It’s not so much to ask to have them put in a variety of mechanics, so you can have a lengthy game experience that doesn’t get boring.

• abigbat says:

Where’s this 3 hours coming from?? The campaign is around 7 hours long.

[My Steam played time is 8 hours, which includes a brief dabble in multiplayer. I played on normal and only died a handful of times.]

12. Graeme says:

Looks good.. but every corporation should have four agents. Like X-Com if it was just an original game it would look great. The fact they are trying to cash in on an old classic but are making a totally different game doesn’t make sense to me. I’ll just wait for Syndicate Kart Racer instead.

13. N says:

Game looks ace. Stop complaining.

14. non_entity says:

Have to say – I like it.

I never played the original Syndicate (played other games from around that time but never was that interested in it, only tactic shooter-y thing I play then was X-Com 2) so personally I don’t have a problem with them switching genres, but I definitely can understand people who did play the old game and don’t like this change.

But what we see in this trailer – looks damn fine to me, somewhat DX:HR-y, and Starbreeze also made the great Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay so … yeah, I’m interested.

15. Lamellama says:

I hope it has MOD support, this would make a really good RTS!

16. DevilSShadoW says:

Having never heard of syndicate prior to the whole “ITS AN FPS NOW HERP DERP” thing this, to me, looks absolutely marvelous! More please.

17. Robin says:

Looks ghastly.

The trailer copy reads like it’s written by someone who doesn’t have English as a first language. The visual design is insipid. The combat looks like the usual console FPS “press X to trigger scripted animation” nonsense.

Pretty much confirms it’s just the canned Bourne game with a generic cyberpunk respray job.

18. thegooseking says:

Don’t know what to think. Looks like it would be an awesome action movie, but it’s very hard to tell how that fits into the gameplay context.

Which is more the problem with trailers in general than any problem with Syndicate.

• Askeladd says:

SWTOR is a good example how real gameplay footage can change someones perception of the game.
      It sure changed mine.

19. Matt says:

that looks pretty cool whatever oldskool IP its ripping off. was worried that it would feel too much like DX:HR but this seems to have less velco-ing your backside to doorjams and more cybernetically enhanced ultraviolence.

which was really what the original was all about.

20. DukeOFprunes says:

Surely no good Eurocorp staffer would leave all those non-company owned buildings standing around in such an impunitive manner.

21. nayon says:

Looks like a fun game, but not a Syndicate game.

22. ThePeon26 says:

The only reason I see allot of ppls not liking this game because it is not call of duty but guess what 12 year old kid there are other games in the world and if u donĀ“t like it then piss of or I will take your balls and nail them to the wall.

But aside from that this seams like a nice game.

23. hello_mr.Trout says:

hmm, scripted much?

24. Auspex says:

Looks neato. I liked when he punched the man the head.

25. Hoaxfish says:

Deus Ex: Black and Orange
    Syndicate: Black and Blue

totally different, but together they make Orange&Blue

26. Kdansky says:

Right click to iron-sight, middle click to gangsta-style? Has there ever been a more pointless feature?

• ColOfNature says:

Secondary fire mode? Sniper through scope, full-auto on iron-sight. I thought it was quite a good idea, myself.

• Ovno says:

Oh come on, that bit was ace, and being able to have both iron site and a scope, that;s even better.

27. ColOfNature says:

Well shut my mouth! I was in the how-dare-they-Syndicate-isn’t-an-FPS camp, but having seen that I’m prepared to admit it looks pretty good. I blame the Persuadertron code sequence embedded in all that wubbing. I’ll still be playing Cartel, of course. But I’m prepared to accept that this isn’t the foul work of Beelzebub I first assumed it would be. That said, if it turns out to be another cookie-cutter shooter devoid of originality and wit my spite will be redoubled. Redoubled, I say!

28. BreadBitten says:

The one thing I took away from seeing this game in action was that the industry is now slowly shifting away from linear corridor shooters to a gameplay template that actually requires some cerebral activity. ‘Human Revolution’, Syndicate, ‘XCOM’, ‘Prey 2 and the like’, it’s like witnessing the start of a new trend…for the better!

29. Reinhardt says:

After playing Deus Ex a couple months ago (pacifist) and generally abstaining from gaming since, this trailer seems really, like, uncomfortably violent. It never would have bothered me before, but it just seems tacky now. I keep wondering how one person could find himself in the middle of so many violent conflicts…

Don’t mind me, though. It does look fun.

imperialus says:

hrm… Looks better than XCOM…

I think this is a perfect example (kind of like fallout) where keeping the tone and ‘feel’ of the original game does a hell of a lot to win me over, even if the gameplay has radically changed…

31. Caal says:

I like what I saw although it does have the look of a linear shooter. Hopefully that’s just the trailer making it look misleading.

MajorManiac says:

To me the trailer was very off-putting, but only because I was expecting something very different. The huge grudge I have against this game will only be short lived, as I was told I was getting chocolate ice-cream and got vanilla instead. But then vanilla is nearly as enjoyable.

But this could be a very good game despite the licence. I’m looking forward to see where this game is going.

33. konrad_ha says:

I hate it.

34. hosndosn says:

Boring, generic FPS.

35. 7Seas says:

Trailer was great actually, and I say that as a long time fan of Syndicate and Syndicate Wars.

Looks like a Deus Ex without the dull focus on sneaking through the idiotic vents and hacking 500 computers just to read boring corporate emails and nigerian spam. Not to mention a potentially more enjoyable story line than the hang wringing utterly ridiculous “everybody is being forced to get implants!” tripe that Deus Ex decided to go with.

It’s like they reached into the bucket of the most interesting philosophical debates about trans-humanism and threw them all away and then present us with a story created by someone without a shred of knowledge of even basic economics.

DEHR’s line of even hookers are forced into getting augmented vajayjay’s was so woefully stupid it really hurt my enjoyment of the game.

One thing is a boob job, which at its chop shop level is a slice,stuff,and stitch, and another is the completely replacement of an organic component with an incredibly sophisticated active robotic component with full neural interface.

So yeah, everyone is forced into getting million or multi-million dollar hardware involving surgeries costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. So they can what, get a vibrating fleshlight installed instead of their girl parts?

And apparently augmetics installation is so common that even hobos have augs, and random gang bangers can install augs on themselves…

Fucking. Ridiculous.

DEHR is cyberpunk channelled through a profoundly naive and ignorant 12 year old organic vegan hippy. Which honestly is a disservice to all the creative kids out there.

Syndicate on the other hand looks like the same old syndicate. Dark cyberpunk, ala 1980s. Which is delicious.

36. Demikaze says:

I know we shouldn’t judge from the trailer, but I do hope things like breaching someone’s mind using the implant isn’t proscribed apart for certain scripted moments. I mean, the part where the guard shoots the room’s occupants, then himself, which shatters the glass and gives you access, is clearly scripted. It looks great, but in a Call of Duty ‘press X to perform super-awesome-move that is unavailable for the rest of the game’ way. The same goes for rappelling through the windows, and the Bourne-esque ‘grab a guy, launch over a banister, and use his body to cushion your fall’ manoeuvre.

It looks actually very very good, but I hope the full move set is available throughout. This being from the makers of The Darkness, I’m hopeful.

• Strange_guy says:

Agreed, the trailer looked good but a lot of it looked like it could be confined to being very scripted. If it isn’t too scripted or linear, and has decent story and writing that’s fairly faithful to previous syndicates it could be good.

37. LuNatic says:

So it’s DX:HR from the perspective of one of the evil corporate mercenary bosses?

38. vodka and cookies says:

Looks pretty good, nice music remix too.

Although why on earth did they copy the lady from Deux Ex that pops up at the end of the trailer, perhaps they are keeping up the Syndicate tradition of ripping off others, I’d forgotten how much of Blade Runner’s props they had lifted and the APC from Aliens too.

I really hope the laser weapon makes an appearance, that was fantastic.

39. ResonanceCascade says:

I wasn’t worried as much about the shameless IP recycling as I was about the fact that a gimped version of Starbreeze was making the game…but this looks like fantastic. It looks like what I wanted Assault on Dark Athena to be, which is a beefed up version of some of the ideas from Butcher Bay. Nicely done.

40. Navagon says:

“press X to persuade”

Sorry, Starbreeze, but it’s just not that easy.

41. buzzmong says:

It’s not Syndicate but crikey, looks like it could be a really good game (unlike XCOM, the videos of that have bored me so far).

I’m actually really open to this as not only have I thought for years that Syndicate would work well as an FPS, but it also helps that Paradox are doing a modern update of the original game with Cartel, so my squad based itch will be scratched by them.

• Bobby Oxygen says:

It looks like good dumb fun. I might give it a chance if it comes out on Steam. If it’s Origin exclusive though, no sale here.

42. zino says:

Well now… This is something. It’s not Syndicate, but I do kind of like it anyway. Does that make me a traitor?

43. Burning Man says:

I like this new explosion of cyberpunk FPS-RPGs. Better than plain old FPSes, which we will always have too many of. All it needs is a half decent story and it’s set.

44. Burky says:

well that was a nice bunch of scripted events and cod-style scope shooting

i was hoping for something along the lines of SWAT 4, but that would be a little too optimistic of me

at least the art design isn’t as terrible as DXHR

45. Kadayi says:

Good trailer. There was something very mirrors Edge about the footage in terms of some of the character movement (as well as the editing) which coupled with the DX vibe is no bad thing. Giantbomb had a bit of a play with it and were impressed with what they saw as well, so I’m thinking this is likely one to watch.

46. Isometric says:

I’m going to be very unpopular and say that I thoroughly enjoyed that.

47. Narretz says:

looks good, for what it is. It looked like they translated the furious battles from the isometric view quite well. We probably won’t see large outdoor areas though, which is a shame. If it’s like Hitman in Cyberpunkia though with more shooting I am definitely intrigued.

48. Sunjammer says:

Well, I think it looks awesome. Shame about the Skrillex. That music makes me want to shave my balls with a piece of paper.

49. brfritos says:

I’m one of the old Syndicate fanbois. The problem with this game is not being in First Person View, albeit I prefered the top down from the firts. Is not even the bum-bum-scratch PoS soundtrack. Also it’s not the way they changed the story.

The problem is this game looks like a thousand others shooters on the market. If you remove the name Syndicate and putted “FEAR4″ a lot of people wouldn’t even pay attention,
    That’s the real problem.