Witcherer: The Witcher 2 2.0 Is Go!

By Jim Rossignol on September 29th, 2011 at 5:39 pm.

Confusingly-named The Witcher 2 mega-patch, 2.0, is now live. I’ve posted the full list of its contents below. It’s a big list. A list that address many of the criticisms from my review. For even more elucidation of what is going on with TW2 check out this interview with the development director. (I also notice that the game is $29.99 on GoG for the next week. It’s a cracking thing, and I’d recommend anyone who hasn’t yet taken the plunge to do so now. It’s going to be in my top five games of 2011.)

1. Completely new, extensive Tutorial System
The new tutorial helps players fully enjoy the game from the very beginning and systematically explains the depth of The Witcher 2’s combat and gameplay mechanics. It allows gamers to gradually and smoothly immerse themselves in the game world and Geralt’s adventures.

2. Special Dark difficulty setting
The new Dark Mode presents players with a new challenge, the highest level of difficulty where every foe is now a significant challenge requiring careful planning and consideration. Dark Mode also features several new sets of equipment and items all linked together through a dark legend in the game journal. These cursed items harm Geralt so long as the sets remain incomplete, but once the player collects all the components, the Blasphemer’s, Oathbreaker’s and Kinslayer’s outfits provide great advantages in combat. Dark Mode offers dark-themed gear with very high stats such as:
• 18 new equippable items including
• 3 new sets of dark armor (light, medium, and heavy)
• 3 new sets of dark swords (3 silver, 3 steel)
• Other Dark themes/elements in the game

3. Completely new arcade-style Arena Mode
Infinitely replayable and progressively more challenging, Arena lets you hone your combat skills and techniques against all the different monster types from the game. Dispatch wave upon wave of progressively more difficult enemies, earning awards that you can use to upgrade abilities, experiment with new weapons and armor, and to test your alchemy skills. Hirelings can also assist you in battle—for a price. Combat waves will continue infinitely until your character is defeated, after which you’ll see a statistical summary of results. Players can share their results with their friends by uploading this summary to the official Witcher forums or to Facebook. Arena Mode includes:
• New location, with a dynamic, responsive audience reacting to the events
• A new monster type, Werewolf
• Waves of different opponents, looped with increasing levels of difficulty
• 3 different prizes to choose from in each wave
• 3 new characters (mage, knight, and dwarven fighter) that can serve as allies during clashes
• A shopkeeper offering gear and enhancements
• 3 new GUI panels designed specifically for the mode
• New dialogue
• New background music
• New Witcher Forum and Facebook integration

4. Technical Bliss
Version 2.0 includes all previous and new technical and gameplay enhancements such as:
• 40+ new technical and gameplay enhancements
- Barbers and Coiffeuses
- A Sackfull of Fluff

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. elfbarf says:

I was really looking forward to my second playthrough (on Dark Mode) but I’m going out of town for 10 days later tonight. Why do you do this to me, CD Projekt? :(

• Askeladd says:

To teach you restrain. At first it’s hard but as more time goes by you look back and ask yourself: ‘how much worth is it to me?’, and then you see ‘the truth’.

• Ravenholme says:

The ‘truth’ being, “I should never have gone in the first place”, of course.

• squareking says:

This is precisely why we don’t go to Ravenholme anymore.

• Sleepymatt says:

I always thought the truth was that there is no cake…

2. Shooop says:

This is just what I needed to get me to play Roche’s story. Not looking forward to the hours it’ll take to actually download it though.

3. Gnoupi says:

Even for someone who likes to play games for the story more than the challenge?
    I’m hesitating, the price is really tempting. How is the easy mode? (afraid of the normal one, after what I read) Too easy and boring, or reasonable? Or is the “normal” not that hard?

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Normal isn’t bad if you know what you’re doing. The problem is that the game didn’t adequately prepare you for the kinds of scenarios it throws at you. The breaking point for me was a sidequest that involved a huge number of those goblin things in a cave in Act I. If you use bombs, it’s not too bad. However, they never discussed bombs! My second playthrough was much more manageable.

Hopefully the new tutorial addresses these issues.

• elfbarf says:

Personally I didn’t find the game to be all that difficult, though I’ll admit the beginning was a bit rough compared to most of the game (though the Operator was easily the hardest fight in the game), partially due to the lack of a real tutorial. At release the game DID attempt to teach you how to play though you had to actually read (!) the instructions and think about what you were doing in order to not get your ass kicked. Unfortunately, reading (!) and using strategy are too difficult for the average consumer, even when playing an RPG.

• PoulWrist says:

The Witcher is one of the games that puts story way above anything that others do. It basically IS the story. If you play for the story, The Witcher and The Witcher are 2 games you most definitely should not miss.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

@elfbarf: To be fair, their written instructions were hardly informative. Their description of blocking did not help you figure out the timing and it certainly didn’t mention the limited angle of blocking. In fact, the description made blocking seem actually useful, when it was easily the least-useful skill that Geralt had at his disposal, to include the mind control spell. I would have had an easier time with the very first fight if I hadn’t assumed that blocking was the key to victory thanks to their tutorial.

• lasikbear says:

I didn’t think it was that hard most of the time (haven’t finished it yet). Especially in the beginning just use whatever you have to win fights and use the shield spell every time you can. There are some rough spots, but the traps you start with can make a fight much easier until you can level a a bit.

Also if you upgrade the combat and magic trees things will be a lot easier. I went all alchemy so far and its started to get tough, but I have never had too much trouble until the middle of chapter 2.

• Gnoupi says:

Well, I took it!

So we’ll see how it goes.

• Shooop says:

Easy basically makes it a story thing. You can practically sleepwalk through most of the fighting in it, except for the bosses.

But once you get the rhythm of combat down it’s not that bad in normal. Until a boss fight which is always punishingly hard.

4. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I’m normally not a fan of increased difficulty (usually you just get decreased fun) but the inclusion of special items to offset the difficulty sounds compelling. Hopefully they aren’t too monstrously difficult to get.

Also, if I remember correctly, they made blocking unlimited. Originally it was tied to your mana, which was really the stupidest decision they could have made.

• zacharai says:

(this is in response to the previous comment, oops)

Normal mode is pretty tough, especially at the beginning of the game, when you (the character) are pretty weak, and you (the player) aren’t very skilled at it. Easy is easy, and will definitely let you continue on the story with minimal issues. Easy mode is a totally legitimate way to play this game.

I would say that it’s worth it to bang your head against your computer and play on normal, at least after the intro scenes (which are the toughest). Once you get good at the combat, it’s extremely satisfying, because enemies are still deadly, but you’re deadlier. That was my experience.

• Nimic says:

Normal is definitely a good challenge. More of a challenge than “normal” is in most games, at least. I played through the entire game on normal, and I didn’t feel like I could just coast through it. And I have to admit, I even had to turn down the difficulty to Easy for the first time you fight you-know-who. I just couldn’t beat him on Normal, at least at that point.

5. Auspex says:

If you’ve got it on steam you have to load the game launcher to get the patch.

They appear to be patching it externally (I may be wrong); don’t Valve disapprove of that kind of behaviour?

Edit: I may be mistaken but can’t check if my version is the new one at the moment.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I’d assume that Valve only goes all Fascist on developers if the content is sold. Since all of these updates are free, I’d assume they really don’t give a rat’s ass. If The Witcher 2 is pulled from Steam, forcing PC gamers to choose between a company that’s very pro-consumer and a company that’s practically monopolized the platform, then I will be proven wrong.

• somini says:

I guess it’s just EA that doesn’t like it…

• daf says:

Witcher 2 has a pack0.dzip file that’s 9gb+ and get’s changed every patch so every time steam updated the game it was a 9gb+ download since at the time it didn’t do incremental updates (they’ve added incremental patching since then but only a hand full of games use it and witcher 2 is still not one of them).

The way they “fixed” it though was keeping the base game at 1.2 and adding a “Patcher” folder that has regular patches that get applied sequentially to the game on launch, so you’d just download the smaller regular patch instead of the 9gb+ changed files.

Unfortunately because of this, every time you do “verify integrity of game cache” you’ll get a 9gb download since it’s re downloading the pack0 from version 1.2 which has been altered by the regular patches, I’m hoping they’ll use 2.0 to get witcher 2 on the new updater and solve the updating mess they’ve created since every so often steam will detect the game isn’t 1.2 anymore and force a 9gb download again :\.

• Inverness says:

@daf

Steam now uses differential files for patching, rather than downloading a whole new version of the file. I guess the shit storm over the 9GB Witcher 2 downloads finally forced them to do that.

6. Squire says:

Awesome deal on it here http://www.g2play.net/store/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-Steam-Key.html if you haven’t got it, I used this site and it was perfectly fine. Looks dodgy as shit but 13 quid is pretty awesome. It’s based in China or Hong Kong.

• Gnoupi says:

Go advertise somewhere else. On GOG it’s 22 euros, and 19 on this site.
      With that kind of difference I’ll reward directly the developers, and not lose my time with a dodgy site like g2play which will most likely ask me to justify my identity with a copy of my id.

• Squire says:

So you are saying it IS cheaper on G2play.net, just checking.

Also you don’t need to scan an ID or else I wouldn’t have posted about it.

Because that’s REALLY dodgy, but then again what twat would scan an ID card and send it to someone you haven’t met OVER THE INTERNET. Probably you, you anal-retentive currency converting wally.

• Gnoupi says:

Fair enough. But it’s scarying to read feedback like that: http://steamunpowered.eu/forums/g2play/

Whether they are saying the truth or not, it seems simply too risky for an economy of 3 euros, that’s all.
      I prefer to send the money directly to CDProjekt, in such case.

• Squire says:

Unless grammar was recently outlawed I’m willing to bet most of the people with problems, on those forums, are Children [Under 18] so that might have something to do with the ridiculous amount of ID scanning and password-giving-out nonsense that is going on…..Ooooooooo I need this game right now sure I’ll scan my dads ID 12 times…

Anyway I don’t want to shout on the internet anymore. I’ll stick with my economy version of TW2 and Gnoupi will pay 3 euros more, good luck to you sir.

• Ricc says:

Considering the fact that a much bigger percentage of the Gog-customer’s money goes directly to the developers, and that the Gog-version actually comes with extras, I think buying from the legit source is indeed the way to go. :)

• Eukatheude says:

I bought it there for 14 euros (they have their weeked deals, too). I had to send a scan of my id, but i got the game and i haven’t been banned from steam either.

7. Ultra-Humanite says:

Looks like it’s $29.99 on Steam at the moment too.

• Gnoupi says:

And 29 euros, apparently. Buying on GOG is in dollars, so with paypal absorbing the conversion fees, it’s 22.65 euros there.

8. jti says:

Damn Steam, still not updating it. Should’ve got it through GoG.com but didn’t think. :(

• Auspex says:

Try launching the game.

• jti says:

Tried it before, tried it now… No sign of patch.

• Auspex says:

How strange, mine updated just as I left the house but maybe it wasn’t the new update. Hopefully it’ll be sorted by the time I get back but will try the game when I get back in.

9. Orija says:

That a developer/publisher like CDProjekt exists in the same plane of reality as the EAs and Activisions is, well, something worth celebrating.

Edit: Reading this interview alone makes me want to buy a dozen copies of TW2. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/27/which-witcher-is-the-witcher-2-2-0/

• Gnoupi says:

Add Paradox to the equation, and you can pop the Champagne!

• Orija says:

…and Tripwire too, I guess.

• Wizardry says:

What? A company that develops action games that appeal to the masses?

• Unaco says:

The Witcher 2 is an ‘RPG’, Wizardry. R. P. G. It stands for “Role Playing Game”. It is quite a popular genre, surprised you’ve never heard of it. It is a surprisingly broad genre, and RPG’s can come in many different shapes and sizes and settings and flavours… a bit like people’s tastes.

• Wizardry says:

Shapes and sizes as in not an RPG? The point is that CD Projekt make incredibly “safe” games. Action combat, lots of story, plenty of characters, a voice acted protagonist, a lack of character customisation, plenty of sex etc. The way people make them out to be the best developer out there for not being like all the others is an odd one considering the type of games they make. If The Witcher 2 came out in the 80s it would be considered the Diablo of its time. But now, apparently, it’s a game that sticks its middle finger up at the likes of BioWare and Bethesda while being just as tame as their products.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

But you get to pick from a preset list of morally grey choices, then see the scripted consequences! Who could want anything more from an RPG? “Game” of the year.

• Zenicetus says:

A “lack of character customization” in a game based on a series of novels, where the character has a very specific back-story? Imagine that. Maybe the next Batman game should allow the player to customize his appearance and skill set, so he doesn’t look or act anything like Batman?

Isn’t there room in the world for both “veritcal RPG’s” with a predefined main character (which allows deep integration with the game engine, because it only has to support one modality), and also “horizontal RPG’s” where you can make your character anything you want? A role is a role is a role…. and sometimes I don’t mind inhabiting a role that someone else has dreamed up.

• Wizardry says:

@Zenicetus: Like when you role-play as Gordon Freeman in Half-Life?

• Zenicetus says:

@ Wizardy: Does Gordon Freeman have a personality and backstory as well-defined as Geralt does? No? Then I guess I won’t be “role playing” him, will I?

I enjoy more customizable RPG’s too, but I don’t demand that they all be that way. I enjoy reading novels, instead of spending all my time trying to write novels. I have good ideas here and there, but I like reading and “inhabiting” other people’s ideas too.

• Wizardry says:

So now the genre is defined by a well written protagonist? Oh dear god!

• Zenicetus says:

No, one variation within the genre can be defined by a well-written protagonist. You do realize that the player has many options in how Geralt moves through the game, right? Including the biggest option of all — a story that can branch two different ways, depending on the choices a player makes. How is this not role-playing?

• Hidden_7 says:

As always, good job hijacking any discussion about any ARPG with extreme pedantry, Wizardry. You’re real pro at it! But I think you’ll notice, if you can stop framing every discussion as one about how no games are actually RPGs, that the main take-away from that interview, and I’m guessing the OP’s point isn’t so much which games CDP make, but HOW they make them. Continued support, always trying to improve their games, including adding new content for free, as well as a straightforward way of talking and interacting with the community, devoid of nonsense PR speak all set them apart from the EAs and Activisions of the world. You may think they make extremely mainstream games, though the Witchers are a million miles from the CODs that really define the mainstream, but they indisputably go about it in a refreshingly unmainstream way.

• Wizardry says:

@Zenicetus: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis branches while Baldur’s Gate doesn’t. So now Fate of Atlantis is an RPG and Baldur’s Gate is an RTS.

• Quinnbeast says:

Dry your eyes.

• Thants says:

@Wizardry: The term RPG refers to a fairly wide variety of game types and it has for decades. It doesn’t just mean the one specific kind of game you like. Stop pretending you don’t know that.

• Vinraith says:

The Witcher and its sequel are “Swords and Conversation” games in the same sense that Mass Effect 2 was a “Guns and Conversation” game. You can loosen the definition of “RPG” enough to make it fit around it, but at that point all kinds of games that aren’t RPG’s fit in it as well.

A genre label that applies to most games isn’t useful for much of anything. All these repeated attempts to render RPG meaningless are really quite frustrating, and have already effectively succeeded in destroying any meaning for the label in the popular consciousness. At this point, if a game is labeled “RPG,” it tells me absolutely nothing about how it plays. That’s a pity.

• Lambchops says:

@ Wizardry

I’m absolutely not interested in the “what defines an RPG?” saga however I’m going to wade in on the bit where where you say “If The Witcher 2 came out in the 80s it would be considered the Diablo of its time.”

For someone so keen to be pernickity about genre definitions this seems like a astartalingly odd statement. To these eyes at least Diablo and Witcher 2 are rather dissimilar.It’s possible that the crux of whatever comparison you are making is lost on me, but as it stands if I’m not confused by this statement it just seems an absolutely wrong ‘un.

Also nothing wrong with action games that appeal to the masses. I’m one of the masses me. I like all sorts of stuff I do.

• Keeper_Deven says:

Damn, I’m late–Vinraith’s got this covered. And thank you, masses, for subscribing to the new definition of RPG. With your help, it’ll be even more unlikely that there will ever get a big-budget game inspired by the great RPGs of the 1990s rather than by Batman: Arkham Asylum and God of War.

• 1R0N_W00K13 says:

Genres evolve – why does RPG today have to mean the same thing it did 20 years ago? Certainly the games produced these days where you “role play” a protagonist are starkly different from those of the 90s. The English language permits words and phrases to evolve, you know.

• Keeper_Deven says:

@1R0N_W00K13

So now that ‘RPG’ is going to be indistinguishable from ‘action adventure’, what new term would you propose to signify the likes of Betrayal at Krondor, Fallout, Baldur’s Gate and Planescape: Torment? All the sites and groups devoted to what were formerly thought of as RPGs need to be told!

• ASBO says:

@Wizardry what not enough spreadsheets in this game?

• JohnH says:

You people realise you can just click block in the upper right corner of a comment to block that commenter right? Instead of constantly swallowing the troll bait whole?

10. DanPryce says:

Can we refer to it as The Witcher: Desmond Edition?

11. kyrieee says:

I thought they also made a ton of small changes to the combat? Like for example blocking doesn’t use vigor anymore

• kael13 says:

It doesn’t? Holy crap, that’s a huge balance change. Download tiem!

• Zenicetus says:

As it turns out, blocking (parry) does drain vigor with the new patch, but you can continue to block after the vigor is gone. So, you still have to choose sometimes between magic attacks and swordplay, but parry actually works like it should now. It never made sense to me that Geralt couldn’t parry whenever he needed to.

12. sneetch says:

Ah look at Geralt’s little face in the article’s picture! He’s thrilled with the news! As am I.

13. Zealuu says:

I got it for 4£ on Impulse some time ago (not missing a zero, they messed up with the pricing for a short while, but honoured it if people took advantage) … This seems like a good time to finally download those 15 gigabytes.

… And to buy it a second time, since I kind of want CDP to have my money. A bit torn between getting it on GoG (more money for CDP) or just going to a store and getting a retail Nordic Edition (I can play now instead of in three weeks when the download is done, AND the box has goodies).

14. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

To the Witcher-mobile! Time to plough some witches. I think that’s right?

15. db1331 says:

Witcher 2 2.2 will be better.

16. Paul says:

Ah, my third playthrough will commence soon..

17. Spiny says:

I better get cracking. Only on Act 2 of Witcher 1 and I have the special edition this bad boy boxed & ready to roll after that!

18. non_entity says:

Very nice. Definitely gonna do a Dark playthrough, even though I hated the combat system on my first Normal playthrough with a white hot passion. But after having finished the game with that damn system once, should be better the second time around.

But not gonna play it again till I get Skyrim… cause I’m gonna upgrade my PC for Skyrim and won’t play Witcher 2 on my current machine again, just had to deactivate too much nice stuff, wanna see it in all its glory next time around.

Let’s hope the fucking Bulldozer CPUs finally get released… Seriously pathetic what you’re doing AMD… if I didn’t hate Intel’s guts for switching sockets every 3 days I would have given up on that damn CPU a long time ago.

19. Barman1942 says:

I love you, CDPR.

That’s how you do a patch!

20. alundra says:

See? It can be done, high quality, drm free and well supported products, and less expensive too.

21. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Then perhaps this is not the site for you. All respect to your religious views and whatnot, but would you kindly go and boil your head? Thank you.

Update: This comment now makes no sense since the iron fist of Delete-O-Tron descended. It isn’t a response to db1331, which appears to be another reply to the same original comment. The original comment never existed and we have always been at war with Eastasia. Carry on, citizen.

Update 2, supplemental: I have entered some bizarre negative-time-zone which leaves my comment forever stranded at the end of this comment thread no matter how many people comment after me. I pray my oxygen will hold out, but if I don’t make it, remember this: I died thinking of England and saluting the Queen.

• Revisor says:

Dear sir, you died with honor.

• Gnoupi says:

You sir are a patriot, and I salute you.

Update: Hmm, funny, seems that the replay button refers to the deleted post, on Lord Custard Smingleigh’s post. Which means that clicking it to reply won’t work and only add the answer after, hm.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

By Jove, you’re right. The only way to comment after me is to reply to me! It appears to be some sort of subspace field inversion. I’m sorry you had to get trapped in here with me, gentlemen. There’s nothing more to do except sit and wait for death to claim us.

22. db1331 says:

Video games do not exist. They were planted by Satan to test our faith.

23. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

What.

EDIT: Answer to a post that ceased to exist.

24. Khemm says:

I thought they removed the DRM? Looks like you have to update the game to 1.35, which can only be done using the launcher, there’s no separate installer…
    I’m confused…

• Unaco says:

They did remove the DRM, with the first patch. IIRC 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 are available as separate downloads/exes. 1.3 reintroduces autopatching from the Launcher, so 1.35 should auto update after you update to 1.3.

Edit… Some info from their site, to help with your confusion (it’s not that confusing, really).

How to install?
      The game launcher will automatically update any new installation of the game to version 2.0. This is also true for installations previously patched to version 1.35.

Installations previously patched to version 1.1 must be updated manually to include patches 1.2 and 1.3, after which the game launcher will automatically update the game to versions 1.35 and 2.0.

Installations previously patched to version 1.2 must be updated manually to include patch 1.3, after which the game launcher will automatically update the game to versions 1.35 and 2.0.

So, a new install or uptodate install (1.35) will patch to 2.0 automatically from Launcher. If you’ve only patched to 1.1 or 1.2, you’ll have to patch up to 1.3, and then it’ll update automatically.

• Khemm says:

Thanks. So, it looks like they’ve re-introduced the DRM somewhat stealthily… You have to go online to patch 1.35 to be able to install the 2.0 patch.
      I was hoping that when my copy arrives in the mail soon I would just patch it immediately instead of having to connect. :(

• Unaco says:

How is that DRM? And you don’t want to connect, to download and install a patch, that you’d have to download from them anyway?

There is NO DRM.

Edit: There are, in fact, separate downloads for all of the patches on their site. You don’t need to use the autopatcher from the launcher. But I still fail to see how that is reintroducing DRM.

• Khemm says:

I meant that I can install the game and patches 100% offline. Just found the 1.35 patch, thanks! Looks like there’s no DRM left indeed, sorry for being ininformed.

25. Demiath says:

I can’t for the life of me understand the long-term appeal of an Arena mode per se, and the inclusion of such a feature underlines the action-oriented design philosophy which (among other things) made Witcher 2 into a sad harbinger of things to come rather than a fresh return to form for the PC RPG genre. That being said, CD Projekt RED clearly wants to be patted on the back for Being The Good Guys by offering free additional content, and I guess that’s alright by me…

• Wizardry says:

There’s nothing that suggests a “return to form” in a game without a party, without turn-based combat and without decent character customisation.

• Paul says:

Still trolling, I see?

• Zenicetus says:

I haven’t checked out the new patch yet, but isn’t the Arena somehow tied to the new Tutorial area? That would make sense, as a way to get comfortable with the combat mechanics.

A training ground can also be useful if you return to the game after a long break, or do a second play-through at a later date. I took a long break from Asscreed 2 about halfway through the game. When I came back, it was nice to have that little combat training pit in front of the home villa, to brush up on the moves.

26. FunkyBadger3 says:

Have they fixed the dragon? Cause that was effing appalling.

27. Dominic White says:

By all accounts, the difficulty curve is still kinda inverted, even in V2.0 – toughest at the start, easiest by the end. Looking forward to the rebalance mods updating to the new version so that it progresses in a more logical fashion.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

The numerical side of balance looks to be neglected, which is a shame. So I wonder if changes to the combat system provide that much of a different experience. At this point I need something completely fresh mechanically or I wouldn’t be able to slog through the first chapter on my potential second playthrough.

28. poohbear says:

update isnt live on steam yet.:(

29. Casimir's Blake says:

Still no first person option? Still no sale from me, sorry.

(I thoroughly approve of CDP’s post-patching though, don’t get me wrong, but watching the Yogscast cover this was enough to convince me I don’t actually want to play this game if it remains third-person only.)

• Nick says:

is this a joke?

• Navagon says:

It’s a joke. It’s just a question of determining what kind of joke.

• Zenicetus says:

Normally I’m in favor of having both options, but I don’t think first-person would work very well in this game. When fighting groups and the tougher bosses, I spend a lot of time running or rolling away from attacks and mobs. That takes some situational awareness… knowing where it’s safe to roll, and if I’m about to be out-flanked (at least before getting the all-angle parry and reduced damage from back-stab skills).

If it was more of a “hold your ground and fight” game, then I could see first-person working pretty well. I can rationalize the third-person view as Geralt having a heightened sense of his immediate surroundings in combat. Or something like that.

• FriendlyFire says:

I love the Yogscast, but basing any game purchase decision off how hard, good or bad a game seems in their videos is misguided. They tend to forget about reading tutorials or manuals, don’t try the game before making videos or plain suck at them. They’re really nice goofing around types, they host a lot of fun Minecraft videos, but for game reviews and critics I generally read what RPS has to say and sometimes look at a WTF is from TotalBiscuit.

30. Navagon says:

Aaaaand it’s shit. Or at least the GOG version is. Given that the game is DRM-free now all versions should be the same. So maybe I’ll have better luck with another version of the patch.

Only as it turns out, the patch isn’t DRM-free. GOG version hits me with a disc check despite patching through GOG. Absolute fucking genius.

31. Fox89 says:

Well, I have no idea how good the patch is as my copy of The Witcher 2 will not install any patches past 1.3. ‘Game version is invalid or incomplete’, it says.

An internet search suggests that moving my install out of ‘Program Files’ will fix it. But that’s kind of difficult as I have the Steam version, and I don’t particularly want to move the 30 games I have installed in that folder.

Wonderful.

32. kud13 says:

Downloaded the patch installer off the site (as i did with every other patch). Patched fine, and seems to speed up fps for intro screens. Could be the lowered resolution, though.

The main menu seems to be a bit messed up though. Not gonna play this yet, i wanna finish another playthrough of TW1.
    The fact that blocks are unlimited makes me happy, since it should make “pure” combat more feasible.

33. Eddy9000 says:

I’m sorry, but why is nobody calling out these post release patches for the pile of shit they are?

I bought the witcher 2, I’ve played it, and I’m not going to play it again because I don’t have more time in my day; I’m writing a thesis and if I’m lucky I get a bit of free time to enjoy myself by drinking with friends, reading, watching TV and playing computer games. When I buy a product I don’t expect it to be made better after I’ve completed it’s narrative, and in the case of the Witcher consumed the kings share of the reason for buying it in the first place.

I’ve payed my money for a version that is by the publishers own admission sub-standard, and exhasted its usefulness before the decrepid apology that, yes you payed for a product that wasn’t finished, and now you’ve used it we’ll say sorry that wasn’t the right one but other people who haven’t used it yet will get a better experience for the same price.

Publishers should finish the game before releasing it. The idea that patches are customer service is a myth, games are released unfinished and then patched later to make the publishers money by bringing their release date forward, not out of favour to the consumers.

I’m amazed that this issue is never raised, when the issues of international release dates, pre-order content and DRM provokes so much backing from this site. I like RPS, and have followed the (older) writers since the PC Gamer days, so I’ll defer to their better judgement, but this practice just doesn’t seem fair or ethical.

• Kandon Arc says:

Who’s forcing you to buy at release? Why don’t you just wait a year or so and then buy the game? It would be lovely if devs could release perfect games at launch, but it’s not realistic to expect them to do so. All we can expect them to do is fix problems as soon as possible. For example with this patch, the new tutorial would never have made it into launch because they didn’t know it was needed until it was released.

Making money isn’t such a bad thing either. Developers need money to work; only the wealthiest (e.g. Blizzard) can afford to take the attitude of it will be done when it’s done.

• Eddy9000 says:

Hi Kandon,
      Your first point: yes, you’re right, nobody is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to buy it. But when I pay for a product that is being marketed as finished I expect it to be finished; and If I was told that the true version of a game would come out in a year, then yes, I would wait a year to buy it. I wasn’t told this, so I’m pissed off that I was sold something sub-standard.

Second point: I do think it’s realistic for producers to sell games in a finished state on release. They have playtesters, it isn’t like nobody plays the game before release. The state they are released in and the amount they’re patched afterwards is profit driven, not determined by whatever ‘reality’ you’re appealing to.

Third point: Doesn’t make any sense. Within my argument you’re essentially saying it is ethical business practice to rip off your customers because it allows you to produce more for them. Think about how many things are wrong with that. I’m not an investor playing my money to see returns, I’m a consumer paying my money for a product.

• Zarx says:

Did you enjoy the game when you played it? Did you run into any major glitches that made the game unplayable? If there were no patches would you have been happy with your purchase?

I got the game at launch played though and enjoyed the game beginning to end I think I got more than my monies worth at the time and the game was of a higher standard than many other games that received little or no post release support. I just don’t see how continuing to support the game with free patches and new content is a bad thing, would you really have been happier if they didn’t improve an already great game? Do you have a problem with Blizzard patching their games 5+ years after release?

• lumenadducere says:

I don’t think you have realistic knowledge of how game development works. Sure, in a perfect world things would be exactly like you say, but you only have a limited amount of time and a limited amount of funding to pay people to actually create the game. Even as it is developers always push the deadline trying to finish everything – there’s a reason “crunch” is so prevalent within the industry – and the notion that they could just spend a few months to fix all of the problems people experience is wishful thinking at best.

During that entire time you would have developers who aren’t doing anything and who are still being paid…and that’s assuming that you’d be able to find all the bugs as it is. Software creation is an exceptionally tangled web, and it becomes even more so when features and content get added and removed, which happens all the time in game development. Even if you had unlimited time and money you’d still wind up releasing a product that someone somewhere had a problem with, guaranteed.

• Tarn says:

It’s actually good-as-impossible to release a completely bug-free PC product, especially for a relatively new and compact team such as CDPR. No matter how many testing machines you have, no matter how long you test for, it simply won’t compare to the number of PCs and crazy configurations in the wild.

They could have held the game in testing for another 2 years, and it would still have required patching post-release.

• DrazharLn says:

Large, complicated software projects (like video games) cannot be made bug free and customers should not expect them to be. A customer can reasonably demand that there are no serious and widespread (within the userbase) bugs. That kind of thing should be brought up in QA and fixed.

I think I can see where you’re coming from, Eddy. Games that get a lot better post-release through content patches etc but aren’t generally replayable do kind of screw over the early players. OTOH, you could look at the extra content as making the game more replayable for you.

Do you think you would be less irritated about this kind of thing if the DLC was paid for instead of free?

34. Lambchops says:

Reply fail- delete!

35. Kandon Arc says:

Gah – reply fail!

36. Cryo says:

Something fucked up during patching and the game stopped working entirely for me. Then using steam’s game cache verification command caused it to re-download 17 gigs. Real smooth updating procedure there.

37. Shooop says:

Only thing I don’t like is the arena mode starts you completely off from nothing. You can’t use all the abilities and equipment you earned through story mode which made combat fun instead of “punch monitor repeatedly” hard.

38. chackosan says:

I too am having trouble getting this patcher to work – the extraction utility keeps hanging when it is supposed to be finishing extraction. And when I kill the program from the task manager, the 1.35 to 2.0 patcher that’s extracted keeps saying the game is invalid or incomplete, even though the 1.35 patcher says the game is completely up to date. Gah. Downloading a separate patch from their site now. Not much of a happy camper at this point.