Bloomin’ Elves: Dawn Of Fantasy

By Jim Rossignol on September 30th, 2011 at 10:45 am.

505 Games and Reverie World Studios are rather pleased with themselves for launching their fantasy MMORTS, Dawn Of Fantasy. A bit of a shame that no-one thought of a decent name for it, but at least it’s looking extremely bloomy pretty. I’m not really precisely clear how it works – I’m going to have to play it to find out! – but it apparently offers both a story-driven quests-based RTS type stuff, and also co-op and PvP modes. Yes, it could hardly be more generic in its setting – “elves, orcs, and men” – but since MMORTS games are so rare I think it might be worth investigating.

Launch trailer belooooow. I’m going to make some tea.

, , .

1. Keilnoth says:

A DRAGOoooN ! Now that’s some kind of originality !

• Dragatus says:

Original? It’s clearly a Skyrim ripp-off.

• Keilnoth says:

Ah yeah, they are going to be sued by THQ by using Dawn in the name and Square Enix for using Fantasy. And JRR Tolkien for putting elves, living trees, orcs and humans altogether in a land where some castles and fortresses stand…

Bah… I love this world.

• MCM says:

There are mounted infantry units in Skyrim? I hadn’t heard that yet.

2. Premium User Badge Anthile says:

This is why you shouldn’t do a Start To Elf rating.

3. Tams80 says:

Arrrgh my eys!!!!!

4. coldvvvave says:

Mild Suggestive Themes? There are women in this game?

5. Mavvvy says:

Anyone know if this is any good? Looks quite big & battle-ly

6. GenBanks says:

I really like the idea of a persistent environment for an RTS. I hope they don’t just mean that it’s highly instanced like Age of Empires Online. Will be curious to hear Jim’s thoughts.

7. Uglycat says:

Surely not DOZENS of quests?!?!

8. Alexander says:

I was playing the beta for this from the start, and frankly it is not something to get massively excited about IMHO. It’s a real shame to be honest, as the majority of the team comes from modding fames on the heavengames forums. There is a distinct lack of originallity and an excess of unoptimization and bugs in it. Worth a bit of a play if you want another generic fantasy RTS but the MMO elements don’t add anything the battles are long an tedious, rather than interesting like the TW games they seem to try to be. :(

• TenjouUtena says:

Does it play like TW battles? Where you have set units and shove them together? Or is it closer to Starcraft where you incorporate base building?

• James says:

Alexander has it about right, in my opinion. I helped out for about a week, until I realized how completely unorganized and uninspired the whole project was. No offense to any of them in particular, there was some talent but the project felt very phoned-in.

9. moarage says:

this looks interesting, but I never heard of it either till now

can someone till me if it’s any good

and the price isn’t that expensive either

10. biz says:

i was quite interested before they scrapped the campaign and skirmish modes. then the game started becoming way more like total war and less like aoe / warcraft.

big battles just aren’t strategic for humans. tactics. micro. lots of stuff to control simultaneously. little strategy.

there’s just a ton of stuff you lose when you move away from starting with a few resource gatherers and 1 production facility and low resources…

11. Schteen says:

Sounds a bit like a fantasy version of Stronghold: Kingdoms. Shame the trailer doesn’t reveal a whole lot about the actual combat, I could be convinced to get this..

12. kingvogc says:

Top sex films, Sex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://url7.me/5ph4