Fallen Earth: Fate Of The World Tipping Point

By Adam Smith on September 30th, 2011 at 9:59 am.

If only someone had prevented this. I mean you. It's your fault. All of it.

Edited to correct pricing details – thanks for pointing it out, folks!

It’s been a while since I’ve played Fate of the World, the game that tasks you with saving the world from mankind and itself in a terrifyingly realistic fashion. Quinns wrote a fine summation of it here, summed up by the phrase “You find out you’re an idiot”, which is precisely what I found out when playing as well. And for a while I played it far too much, so that every news report of a real life catastrophe I read would make me roll my eyes at the futility of all possible solutions. It might be time to go back and give it another go with the release of Fate of the World: Tipping Point, which adds new scenarios, cards, features and UI enhancements. It’s available at a 20% discount at present and can be purchased either through Steam, GamersGate or direct from Red Redemption. Both Steam and GamersGate are currently offering large discounts to owners of the original. There’s even a trailer!

There were pictures of happy people in that trailer. I have no idea what that’s about. They definitely don’t feature in the game when I’m playing it. The world’s last panda staring into the middle distance in a melancholy fashion? I’ve seen him, but never the happy people.

I’m interested to see what the UI enhancements achieve. For all that it did well, the original game was sometimes undone by an interface that hid more information than it revealed. There’s a lot of educational material hidden in the game but it wasn’t always readily available at appropriate times. It would make a certain kind of sense to ensure the player never knew the full impact of an action until it was too late, but graphs and charts were available in abundance, although that didn’t mean they helped a great deal. To me at least, they were more likely to inspire pure terror and a sense of hopelessness. The feedback I needed was available but I would have liked it delivered in a more digestible fashion. That’s probably true for the leaders of major organisations the world over though.

I’ll definitely be taking a fresh look. I never tried out the Migration DLC, which is included with Tipping Point or can be purchased standalone, and it seems like it could change the game massively, allowing huge refugee crises and the population management panics that follow. Time to break our broken world once more.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Nemon says:

“Why didn’t we listen?”

Anthile says:

It also appears that if you already own the game you get a massive discount on the Tipping Point edition – for gifting purposes, I presume. Unless I’m missing something here.

3. sheep-dodger says:

It seems to me that you are not entirely right, from this post on the Steam Forums, the patch to 1.1 is for free, but Tipping Point itself (the Migration DLC + the Denial Mission and the Extras) still costs 12,79€ for owners of the game (which is a 20% discount)

4. mlaskus says:

It would be great if the game showed you what would your cards affect, it was simple enough to see the effects of reforestation efforts, but I had no idea what some of the other cards did.

5. Belsameth says:

I also own the original FotW and got a 83% discount on Tipping Point. Offer stands till Oct 6 tho.

• mlaskus says:

Where did you find it?

EDIT: It seems it’s available but I can’t see it ;(

Colthor says:

When logged into Steam go to the Fate of the World: Tipping Point store page. I did it through the client, not the website.

You also get the discount when gifting copies.

• Belsameth says:

I did it through the website, after logging in

Part of my steam reciept:

Fate of the World: Tipping Point
      2.79 EUR

Fiyenyaa says:

Something that may be pertinent: on the store front page, it said -20%: when I actually clicked on the game, I got the rather larger discount show up for being a buyer of the original. I bought it on steam originally, too.

6. Vexing Vision says:

Fate of the World is one of the games I love the concept much better than the execution. I’m just not strategically minded enough to manage 10 entirely different regions at the same time from the same resource pool.

I will support Red Redemption though, because it’s actually an awesome game. I’d love to have a Warhammer 40k edition! Let me be the Emperor!

7. suibhne says:

Yeah, there’s something odd about this on Steam. The price doesn’t always show up correctly, and Steam still thinks I haven’t purchased it even tho it’s already charged my card and I’ve d/led the new content.

Heh, Steam even lets me try to re-purchase the game and doesn’t recognize it’s already in my account. Weird.

8. Tams80 says:

I usually just sacrifice some regions. It does my score no good, but getting Africa to actually progress even a little feels good.

Shame I can’t buy the DLC. Can’t log into Steam. GRRRR!

Kuuppa says:

I’m such a hasty loser. And a poor one too. I just bought the entire Tipping Point Edition, when I could have bought just the cheap upgrade for the vanilla version I already own. If only I had scrolled down a bit. But no, not me. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

And I haven’t even installed the vanilla version yet. I have been forced to rely on my old and cheap laptop for a while now, and it just doesn’t have the punch needed by the Fate of the World.

Oh well, maybe I can claim I wanted to support the developer so much I bought the game twice.

10. RegisteredUser says:

This game is far too sad for me to continually play. Due to being fairly precise with core data and events, it just feels terrible to realize that even with a globally coordinated agency and tons of funds thrown at all the problems, most of the time near worldwide war, hunger and poverty breaks out, all the while way too many species go extinct.

And that’s even when you’re doing fairly well on your way to your mission goal.

I’d rather not be reminded of what may still happen within my own lifetime..it just makes me sad.

11. Berzee says:

VIRTUAL POLAR BEARS

12. rawtheory says:

Never thought I’d see the day when an entire game is created around fraudulent political spin.

• JackShandy says:

Jeeze, have you played any games? “Peace through Genocide” sums up the message of 99.9% of them.

• Matzerath says:

So you believe the Earth will remain static, without any economic/political/resource/population problems ever, forever? I salute your optimism, sir. And you should probably peek at the news every once in a while.

• LostViking says:

Thats why I don’t play any games with elves or dwarfes in them!
      I don’t believe in the buggers, so how could I play games where they exist??

• Metonymy says:

You know, it’s not even the accuracy of the material that I find distasteful, even though I respectfully disagree it.

It’s the presentation that we are powerless as humans, barely incapable of keeping ourselves alive, when all existing evidence suggests otherwise. Yes, we may be spiritually irredeemable, and it may be impossible to maintain any specific lifestyle indefinitely, but our intellect and creativity has always been more than sufficient to solve any problem, and to suggest otherwise is worthless whining. Anyone who says ‘we are doomed,’ is really saying ‘I don’t feel like working hard.’ The universe is filled with infinite resources, and our existence is and always has been a matter of claiming those infinite resources.

• Consumatopia says:

What all existing evidence really suggests is that human beings are very powerful, but are fairly stupid when it comes to predicting the results of their own actions.

• Barnaby says:

@Metonymy

The earth has been here for 4.6 billion years, humans only a tiny fraction of that. Just because we think we are the shit and can overcome any obstacle doesn’t mean we actually can.

As smart as humans are we waste our potential on frivolous shit that makes our lives easier, but does little to help other humans, other species, and especially the planet.

No disrespect intended. Grumpy + headache + work = grumpy blunt posts.

• Garg says:

@Metonymy: It is certainly possible to win the game without resorting to genocides, famines et al. To do so relies on technology to a sizeable degree, which I assume is what you’re suggesting it doesn’t include. Toward the end of the game you’re launching CPV solar arrays and settling the moon to mine He4 for second generation nuclear fusion power generation.

So yeah, we’re powerless as humans in Fate of the World but can colonise Mars.

• Jools says:

Isn’t “fraudulent political spin” literally the basis of every modern shooter and war game in existence?

• Thants says:

If you really think we’ve been able to solve any problem some parts of Africa would like a word with you.

• KillahMate says:

@Jools Actually the Call of Duty games (the Modern Warfare ones anyway), despite their gung-ho trappings and presentation, have had a fairly mean cynical streak in the plotlines. Half the time whatever nastiness is going on happens to be your own damn fault. Or you’re the one doing it.

• Josh W says:

The obvious point is stupid, people base games off politics without backup all the time, just as they base games on all kinds of other ideas. But the broader more bait-y point?

Climate science is probably one of the most rigorously scientific areas of policy around at the moment, apart from health. It’s motivated by scientist’s studies, that’s where it’s momentum comes from. Politicians drop it all the time, and choose other smokescreens more suited to their goals, like debt/deficits, growth or international competativeness.

Politicians are not leaning on climate change, they are not using it to push their agendas, in fact, they are largely being complacent about it.

So if it’s not politicians who are motivating it, perhaps it’s evil scientists. Scientists dependent on high tech and computer modelling, who want to damage economic growth and send us to the dark ages.

You’ll hopefully realise that doesn’t fit. There are people who benefit from us dealing with climate change, those who work in advanced technology or geo-engineering, but most of the encouragement to act is not coming from them, it is coming from people who are getting worried based on their own studies of the world.

Would you get suspicious if earthquake scientists warned about earthquakes? “Ah they just want people to be scared of earthquakes and give them more money” Of course not, you go, “right, better watch out for that and put better foundations in our buildings”.

In the same way, if someone who’s been studying the atmosphere for years says something that is supported by basic GCSE physics, and they get supported by thousands of others seeing the same thing happening in different parts of the world, through totally different kinds of test, maybe you should give them the benefit of the doubt!

13. kingvogc says:

Top sex films, Sex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://url7.me/5ph4