Mind Full Of Mac: Psychonauts OSX Release

By Adam Smith on September 30th, 2011 at 11:07 am.

In my personal mindscape, I'm writing a post telling you all there's a sequel on the way. It's lovely in here.
Psychonauts unexpectedly updated itself on Steam today, adding achievements and cloud saves. For our Macintosh brethren, there’s super-exciting news in that the game is now available on OSX, so you too can neglect to buy it. To ensure that your portable iDevices won’t be jealous when they see the mindscapes you’re traversing, Doublefine have also released a Memory Vault Viewer app, which has all the memory slides with new commentary by Tim Schafer and Scott Campbell. Along with the other Steamy updates, there’s also a difficulty tweak to one area of the game. Guess which one? I’ll tell you, but only if you click for more.

“We are really excited to finally be answering fans’ requests for a more difficult Meat Circus,” stated Tim Schafer in his press release. Most sane human beings actually considered the Meat Circus to be far too difficult, of course, and he knows that, which is why the statement was a carefully orchestrated lie. The Meat Circus is actually easier now.

Oh, Tim, you card. You really are the limit.

Here is one reason why Psychonauts is so amazing:

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Spakkenkhrist says:

Very happy about the cloud saving as I’ve just started playing this on the train home from work and some sections seem to require a bit more dexterity than the touchpad offers, loving what I’ve played so far.

2. Chizu says:

Oh. This is good times.
    I adored Psychonauts.
    Achievements, as pointless as they actually are, gives me an excuse to play this again.

Linda, here I come~

• Chizu says:

Also, not to blow my own mental trumpet, but I never had that much of an issue with Meat Circus.
      Or maybe I am just a glutton for punishment. And Meat.

Is there anyway for non-i-device owning people such as myself to listen to the commentaries?
      I do not own, nor do I want to own an i-device, but I do want the vault viewer and its commentaries. y u hate me Tim :'(

• LionsPhil says:

I wonder if the platforming hardcore can opt to still play with the old meat?

(Fnarr, etc.)

3. Heliocentric says:

Can disc and gog users expect any love?

• Kaira- says:

Yes, I’d love to. Would be a shame if this would be just Steam-exclusive patch.

JiminyJickers says:

Yeah, I am interested in this too. Would be a crying shame if they ignore GOG.

MonkeyMonster says:

yoinks! on 3rd playthrough and about to go and fix the painters mind…

Never managed meat circus either times before and gave up. This is hinteresting noos, ferry hintersing.

• Ross Angus says:

Yup. I failed on the meat circus too. I think it was the jump where you needed to curve in mid air, while your dad threw fireballs at you. My PS2 friends managed it no problem.

• Urthman says:

From the Double Fine website:

What’s up with Meat Circus is that you’re a sissy. Sure, sure, invisibility is very important when Raz’s dad is trying to knock you off those tight ropes. And your shield will bounce the knife thrower’s blades right into those spinning target wheels. And also you can throw a confusion grenade at that bunny and then just go pick it up, instead of trying to grab it with Telekinesis. Those things are also true. But the main point I’m trying to make here is that first one, about you being a sissy.

5. awwells says:

Am liking the osX news. Keep it coming. we are new to this arena. its been the indies games that found me here.

• nofing says:

Yeah, me too. I still play a lot of games via Bootcamp, but I might stop doing that, if the number of games for OSX rises.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Absolutely no interest in Psychonauts, but YES! More Mac gaming please, RPS! (Wine Mac OS X builds are at near parity to Linux as well, so many modern 3D Windows games work as well. Hence I’ve spent many hours with Oblivion on my Mac Book Pro, though I don’t hold out too much hope for Skyrim.)

You could continue with the Mac (and forthcoming Windows release) of the truly magnificent arcade Elite-em-up Galaxy On Fire 2 Full HD.

Rikard Peterson says:

I have it on a shiny disc (or five of them, to be exact), but I fell for it and bought it on Steam now anyway. It’s a good game, and it’s nice to be able to play it on my Mac when I’ll be replaying it. Let’s hope this will lead to releases of their later games too.

Carra says:

The game is still sitting on my steam account, waiting for the day that I play it.

• adonf says:

Sept 30th 2011 could be that day, and you would not regret it.

7. povu says:

Wow, that came out of nowhere. I love Psychonauts.

Meat Circus was a bit difficult yeah. I could handle it alright, but it felt strange since it was a pretty big increase in difficulty compared to previous areas.

I’m going to have to play through this again.

Also, lets not forget the Inceptionauts video! :D

jezcentral says:

This was a reason for me to finally Steam-ify my physical copy. But no love for android phones? :(

P.S. I was trying to register for the RPS forums, and I keep failing the Special question. Does anyone know who the protagonist of Half-Life was? ‘Cos it’s not Gordon Freeman, Gordon, gordon, Freeman, dr gordon freeman or anyone else I could think of.

Edit: I didn’t mean to be replying to anyone, oops.

• LionsPhil says:

Trick question. It’s actually a headcrab called Dave who was lurking on top of the tram car that morning, but had the smarts to draw a smiley face on himself so nobody noticed the zombification. This explains why Gordon never speaks and why Lamarr flirtatiously scuttles away.

• adonf says:

Gnome Chomsky perhaps ?

• Balobam says:

Mr.Freeman? RISE AND SHINE MOTHAFUCKA!

8. aerozol says:

Oh wow, this is unexpected!
    Haha, the Meat Circus… Just wasn’t fun. The only youtube tutorials I’ve ever made for a game are beating those sections. I couldn’t bear the thought of peoples experiences with the game being destroyed, so close to the end.

• sneetch says:

Wish I’d thought to look them up.

I just… left the game after a few hours there, it was such a ramp up in difficulty that it kinda stopped being fun for me. Oh well, maybe a new playthrough would be in order. Its been a couple of years now I think.

• aerozol says:

Yeah, I was pretty close to just dropping it as well.
      If anyone’s interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJOnAJLRqI
      That’s a shortcut through the freakin’ fire spiral/ fence thing. Oly escort and boss missions have been posted from that account as well.

• sneetch says:

Thank you! I hopefully won’t need them to try the new, improved(?) meat circus but it’s good to know!

• Meat Circus says:

I’m just misunderstood. :(

9. Eclipse says:

Dang, I got this one on GOG, I hope for an updated version on that service as well…

10. Edawan says:

I had bought it when there was a big discount some time ago.
    I played the first level, which wasn’t very good, and the game crashed right when I reached the end (i think it was supposed to load a video).
    I couldn’t be bothered to start over.

• LionsPhil says:

I played the demo and thought “Schafer’s atmosphere and writing is wasted on this garbage platformer”, unfortunately.

• lokimotive says:

It would be difficult to defend the first three levels of the game as anything more than extended training levels. However, once you enter the Lungfish’s mind, everything gets about ten times better. And really, it’s worth the price of admission of the writing alone.

• Urthman says:

There always seems to be lots of people complaining about the platforming in Psychonauts. I thought it was great fun from the beginning. Level 3 (Sasha Nein’s brain) was doing the small world with relative gravity years before Mario Galaxy, and the Milkman level takes that kind of arbitrary gravity in even more crazy fun directions.

And zooming and bouncing around on the TK ball? And combining it with the parachute? I thought that was stuff was great. And slamming things with the TK hand felt really solid and satisfying.

Do you just not like 3D platformers? What better 3D platforming have you played?

• LionsPhil says:

Do you just not like 3D platformers?

Pretty much! And this one, for me, wasn’t good enough to put up with and struggle through for the sake of the rest of the game.

If only it had been a point-and-click adventure.

• JackShandy says:

But adventure games have the most rubbish gameplay of all! “Guess what the designer was thinking when they made THIS puzzle.”

I suppose with a walkthrough on hand it’s easier to bypass that to get to the good bits than it is with a platformer, though.

• LionsPhil says:

Most of Schafer’s mostly avoided that particular problem but, yeah—if you find the game is just being no fun and you can’t make progress, you can at least just sit and follow the instructions on a walkthrough until either it becomes fun again, or just to see where the plot goes/enjoy the writing. There’s no such skip-forward (at least, not that it doesn’t skip seeing the actual content) for platformers.

• aerozol says:

If every 3rd person hated the platforming, but every 10th person had the same amount of fun from the TK ball as I did, it’s a fair trade off. Trust me.

11. Pemptus says:

Cool. Cool cool cool. And now the next logical step would be the development of PC versions of other Double Fine games, especially Brutal Legend. Pretty please?

12. Persus-9 says:

I didn’t mind the Meat Circus. I mean sure it was hard as nails and I failed about a bazillion times but it was a great feeling of achievement once I got through it. I found it more palatable than Super Meat Boy which past a certain point (fairly early in the game in my opinion) is just as hard but you know that it isn’t a spike and the next level will be harder which hurts the feeling of achievement for me. Besides meat circus should be hard as it was the point Raz was fighting his own subconscious (if I remember correctly) so it fit narratively and had a good incentive in a way that say ‘veni, vidi, vici’ from VVVVVV didn’t.

Does anyone know if there is an option to play it as the old difficulty? I think it would be sad if the original was lost to the past because all digital copies are auto-updated. Thankfully in this instance I have a disc copy so I’m okay as long as it is still compatible with modern computers. I think there is a wider issue here though which is something which really worries me and that is that the sort of arbitrary bullshit like George Lucas has pulled changing the Star Wars movies which everyone has been getting into a fuss over is just accepted in the world of computer games. We seem to just be accepting the right of games makers to make unilateral changes to their works even after they’ve sold them to us. That’s fine and necessary in multiplayer games because they are naturally fluid and evolve with their player base but in singleplayer games I don’t see why it seems to be automatically considered acceptable. It’s like allowing a painter the right to invade your home and add another few brush strokes to your favourite painting whenever inspiration strikes him. It’s bullshit. To my mind any changes made after the game is sold should be revertible. I should be able to choose to redownload and play any of the previous versions of any singleplayer game I own because that is what I paid for and if I don’t agree with the changes then I shouldn’t have to accept them. I’d love to see RPS publish an article on this.

Admittedly this probably isn’t the time and place for this rant since making Meat Circus easier will be greeted with near universal rejoicing and if I played the game again then I’d probably go for an easier version myself. In principle though I’ve very much against this sort of thing unless there is an option to revert to the previous version either by being able to redownload an unpatched version and choose the patches or through an options menu.

13. adonf says:

I’m replaying it these days. The milkman level is awesome, but the next one in the theatre is too hard and unforgiving to my taste (those bags of sand are a pain in the ass). I’m at the level after that (Napoleon) and it seems even harder and borderline boring (step one: go around level to climb onto tightrope, step two: fall off the rope because of projectile, step 3: go to step one). That’s bad because I really enjoyed it up to this point.

Someone please tell me that it gets easier, or that I should try to upgrade my Raz to make it easier, cuz at this point I’m not sure I’ll finish it.

• Pointless Puppies says:

You just reminded me of the theater level, most likely because I subconsciously suppressed the memories.

I didn’t find it hard, just annoying and boring as fuck. The little bitch girls would keep talking on and and ON AND ON to the point where I was bored to tears. Was this close to putting the game down but thankfully I stomached it and managed to reach the wonderful world of Black Velvetopia.

14. thegooseking says:

I don’t get why everyone’s saying this has come out of nowhere. Didn’t we know they were doing this?

(Admittedly, I cynically assumed they were doing a repackaged HD version of the game so they could sell it again, rather than an update to the original game, but I’m pretty sure I knew they were doing this.)

• Stupoider says:

I don’t think there were any indicators.

We’ll consult your crystal ball next time, your highness.

15. Gnoupi says:

This “Adam Smith” fella just posted a link to an iOS app, on the appstore, on RPS.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

16. Stupoider says:

come back to the pc, tim

17. EpicusFuror says:

Tell me: will I finally be able to play this one with a XBOX360 Pad?

PLEEEEEEEEEASE!

• IcyBee says:

If it still won’t support it natively, you can use Xpadder (an old version, 5.3 is still available for free)

• Dao Jones says:

With the Steam version I have been able to use my wireless Xbox toy pad (am I doing it right?) just fine. Maybe my magical skills helped?

18. UBNO says:

Now I know how I’m getting my gaming fix this weekend. Bought a copy during one of those ridiculously cheap Steam sales due to the strong word of mouth, but never got around to trying it during one of my gaming pilgrimages to Windows.

Old PC gamers who’ve switched to the ‘dark’ side… we’re like that neglected, unloved, redheaded step child that most of us have locked in the basement/cellar/attic and remember to feed only once in blue moon. “A six year old game? Yes sir, thank you! Thank you! May I please have another?”

• Mollusc Infestation says:

Who let you out? Get back in your attic and eat your bucket of fish heads.

19. pyjamarama says:

What someone at DoubleFine still knows how to code for the PC there may be hope for them yet.

Downloading my steam version bought on random sale right now.

• DarkFarmer says:

Little inside info here, some of my friends work at DoubleFine. A PC port of Brutal would be pretty costly and they are not really considering it. Too bad though, I think Brutal would be a great steam/gog title.

20. db1331 says:

After watching that milkman clip, I am utterly ashamed that I passed on this game for like $2.50 on Steam one day.

TheTourist314 says:

The meat circus wasn’t that bad, then again, I have this special ability some might label as “mentally challenged” where I keep trying something even after failing for several hours.

Horza says:

This is awesome but where’s the staring eyes tag?

Stense says:

Oh my God! Lets make out.

24. JackShandy says:

Anyone who’s been spun into Psychonauts Nostalgia like I have might be like to know that Tim Schafer made Myspace profiles for all the kids. But all the comments have somehow been killed by time! You can still read the profiles and photos and things, but I’m pretty bummed.

Edit: I can, at least, bliss out to some remixes.

Oozo says:

My theory always was that they made the Meat Circus that difficult to prevent people from seeing the abysmal final cutscene…

26. Syd says:

If I remember correctly, the only reason Brutal Legend didn’t see a PC release is because the publisher said so, though I’m not sure why their smaller downloadable games haven’t shown up on PC either unless they’re under some sort of contract.

From what I’ve seen Tim Schafer say in articles concerning the game’s success on PC through digital distribution, on top of this sudden update, I’m pretty confident that if a Psychonauts sequel ever sees the light of day, it will do so on PC.

Plus, not too long ago, according to some guy that was visiting Valve, Tim Schafer was there, apparently doing business with them. You may interpret that however you wish.

27. Spindrift says:

I’d certainly understand if the Meat Circus difficulty change was unilateral, but I think it’d be too bad if it wasn’t an option that one could set. I found it frustrating, but it was very gratifying when at last I finished it, and I wouldn’t want to lose the opportunity to try it again.

Wisq says:

Super crazy coincidence. I had this installed for something like a year, never got around to playing it. *The exact day* I decide to start playing it, I get the Steam update and a bunch of achievements and stuff.

Also: Loving it so far. Why don’t more companies produce games in abstract worlds where you have full control over the visuals and the gameplay surfaces? Battling stuff on a fully walkable cube inside someone’s head is so far beyond anything we see today. Closest I can think of is Ratchet & Clank, which was also an awesome jump forward in terms of freeing gameplay from the typical ho-hum normalcy at the time.

oceanclub says:

Apart from some dodgy low-rez texturing, the fact that it’s such a stylised game means it still looks lovely. I have a very low tolerance for platformers but I’ve been sucked back into a play that I abandoned a long time back. Admittedly this has meant consulting walkthroughs to find out what the hell I’m meant to be doing, and what item (X) actually does.

P.

30. Slade says:

Just when I’ve seen this amazing trailer made from FineLeatherJackets, the game itself receives an unexpected update. Neat !