Dead Island DLC Expectedly Delayed

By Adam Smith on October 3rd, 2011 at 1:10 pm.

What's in your head, in your head?

When Dead Island’s Bloodbath Arena DLC was announced I jested that it might be delayed ’til 2017. Well, I’m guessing we’ll see it before 2017, but the content has indeed been delayed. Rather than concentrating on finishing up the horde mode and extra equipment that the DLC’s set to offer, Techland are concentrating on squashing the bugs in the core game. Releasing a game with technical issues is no good thing but at least they’re working to fix things, which is far more important than shipping what sounds like a fairly negligible expansion. Using my powers of sarcastic clairvoyancy, my next prediction is that the recently announced Dead Island movie, if it does ever materialise, will not in any way resemble the video below.

There are some fun things happening with Dead Island mods already. Far more fun than the DLC sounds, to be honest. Something about the game makes it perfect for pulling apart and reconfiguring, and that may even be partly thanks to the fact parts of it feel as if they’re still under construction.

It also seems to be a game with which some people are running into far more bugs than others. What kind of things are you encountering, or has your experience been fairly smooth?

, , , .

1. Alexander Norris says:

Isn’t Bloodbath Arena the DLC arena you got for free for preordering the game?

e; I wish someone would hurry up and make guns always crit on headshots, against every type of zombie (except maybe for rams). Ammo is limited enough if you’re not Purna that having them kill zombies in one or two headshots like they do in every media out there isn’t that unbalanced. :(

• Xerian says:

Bloodbath Arena is indeed the DLC you’ll -get- for free, if you preordered. (Am looking forward to my free goods, although I’d very much buy it if I hadnt pre-ordered, as the more replayability this game gets, the better.)
      And I do agree that guns need rebalancing; although I’d say they ought to be weak against any boss-y type zombie, cause else they wouldnt present much of a challenge. And now, speaking for myself here, I found plentiful og ammo as the ugh… *Who do you voodoo* new orleans-stereotype guy, and used it quite frequently, and mostly for the lulz really. (They’re quite horrible for zombies alotta the time, afterall)

• RegisteredUser says:

That’s easily done by changing crit chance to 1.0 in the appropiate config file.

You can also do this for every weapon out there, so as to e.g. elicit always plague/shock/bleeding effects.

It’s really as easy as making backups, extracting and firing up notepad.

I’ve been modding the game to my liking far more than any DLC could ever deliver and it’s pathetic that steam forums these days do more support and development than the original crews in a shorter timespan.

2. d3vilsadvocate says:

hmm dunno, kinda lost interest after playing the game for only 8 hours. Not sure I’ll ever finish this, let alone buy DLC for it.

3. malkav11 says:

As seems to be usual for me, I’ve encountered virtually nothing that could be reasonably identified as a bug. There are a few design decisions that I’m not sure I agree with, but technical issues have not manifested.

• xavdeman says:

Oh really? Then you musn’t have played co-op, yet.

They better fix push to talk button. Currently it always transmits your microphone, which is bad for privacy. But I also suffer from other’s microphones.

Also, fix 7.1 surround support. Extreme crackling with ASUS XONAR DX (but also other sound cards I have heard).

And unlock all graphics options like Anisotrophic filtering and Shader Model 4.0, which currently need .ini hacks

• Roshin says:

There’s a shitload of glitches in the game, but I’m not sure if they qualify as proper bugs. I still enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to, but I’m convinced that an additional 3-4 months in the dev oven would have resulted in an instant classic.

• malkav11 says:

It’s true, I haven’t played coop. None of my friends bought the game and despite the game’s repeated prompts to do so, I’ve been uninterested in joining the games of random strangers.

4. nrvsNRG says:

i’m really enjoying the game, just got to the jungle.

No major (or even minor) bugs to report, apart from one time when a nice epic or unique weapon that i had modified and upgraded to the max suddenly vanished from my inventory. Annoyed me for a few seconds but really doesnt matter.

….actually now i’m really starting to think about it there was one occasion when there was some bizzare gravity bug holding me back from walking up a hill out of one of the toilet facilities early on in the game, but i overcame this by just perservering and jumping at odd angles, no sign of it ever since.

So really nothing at all thats prevented me from enjoying this brilliant game, which i would add has taken over from my DX:HR and WH 40K: Space Marine playthru.

Looking forward to trying out some mods and having a second playthru when patched maybe.

5. nrvsNRG says:

i’m only using the guns for (non infected)human enemies, which are fairly rare up until the jungle level which i have just started and had a fairly big gunfight. but honestly i’m happy with the firearms, (i’m using the blunt weapon black guy). the AI is seriously thick so its easy to beat them, but the main fun in the game is using the melee weapons to kill zombies, and thats great.

JKjoker, i’m surprised to read that your dieing every ten minutes? No wonder your not enjoying it.
    Honestly i have probably had about seven or so deaths in the whole game.

edit.
    i do agree that the main plot and side quests are completely uninspired, but the fun i get from just playing and exploring the enormous and well designed island totally overrides that, and i can forget about it. Not really a game you play for its story, lol.

6. clockler says:

Somehow I knew this would be the Fist of the North Star mod video. My clairvoyant powers told me you would post it.

Them powers must be making the rounds with the flu or something.

7. nrvsNRG says:

double post deleted

8. flipd58 says:

The worst part of all of this is that this game could have been so good if it wasn’t for the devs being retards and disregarding their customers. ;_;

• Squirrelfanatic says:

There, there, poor, angry, and disregarded internet man. There, there.

9. nrvsNRG says:

yeah i know we are not meant to be using the guns on undead, but i’m finding the blunt weapons so effective i can handle groups of zombies fairly well (so far). I will admit that its got a bit harder, but ive just had to use lots of different tactics.Like i said i’ve just arrived in the jungle so the difficulty may well ramp up, so i may have to eat my words.

edit.
    i’m at level 30 i believe. Going to play some more tonight and just stick with the main plot i think.
    I like a good challenge, but not a ridiculous challenge, and so far its been okay.

10. nrvsNRG says:

yeah three good hits drastically knocks you health bar down, ive had to retreat and use health packs a few time or climb onto something out of reach. I’m having to stock pile molotovs deo bombs and incendary grenades alot more lately. Luckily death isnt too much of a problem apart from losing a load of cash tho.

11. iyokus says:

You guys have got me worried. I’m level 10, still around the beach and lighthouse area and LOVING this game. Apart from the faint whiff of consolification and the clumsy looting mechanic I was thinking this is a 90%+ classic. The story is no great shakes so far, but I assumed it would pick up after the initial rush to survive and gather supplies.

From what you guys are saying, the further you get the worse the game becomes.

EDIT: Maybe we can look forward to a patch or a big mod that fixes the problems with the late-game.

• nrvsNRG says:

dude IMO the game doesnt get worse as you progress, it still has plenty to offer.
      I absolutely love the city of Moresby and the jungle looks fantastic.
      Dont worry, if you love it as much as that you will still love it 20 hrs down the line!

• Juan Carlo says:

I’m not sure it gets worse, but the general gameplay does go a bit stale by the end. And the level scaling of the enemies doesn’t help matters as you never truly feel powerful at the end like you should in a good RPG. Even when you find legendary rare weapons their awesomeness is mitigated by the fact that these weapons don’t scale when they are in your possession, however random weapons do scale. So it’s frustrating to upgrade you rare weapon only to have it’s stats beat by some random junk weapon you find after you’ve leved a couple more times.

• Seb says:

The only bug I’ve encountered so far: after dying at the first gas station, I was respawned halfway across the map, in the middle of nowhere, with no truck or safehouse nearby. The way back was a bit of a pain. Other than that, the game as a whole strikes me as rather polished despite all the negative opinions I’ve come across. The analog fighting scheme is super fun.

Also, the city of Moresby: so goddamn scary.

Edit: oops, didn’t mean to reply to you with my unrelated post. For the sake of relevance: it doesn’t get worse as you progress through it — it gets scarier.

• MrNice says:

In a nutshell :

Act 2 > Act1
      Act1 > Act3
      Act4 > Act3
      The end is terrible

The story is shit don’t pay too much attention to it.

12. Kenny007 says:

Short of the lack of a PTT button (easily correctable if you’ve got a USB mic), the only other issue I had, having just completed the game last night with 2 others, is that as Logan, the throwing expert, my weapons were often very difficult to locate if they didn’t Boomerang back. Sometimes there’d only be a sliver of the weapon showing on a corpse, meaning if you weren’t facing it just so, you couldn’t pick it up. Had one weapon go almost entirely through a street in the city level. It was quite a hassle.

Had one or two drops in our 30 or so hours of play too. Other than that though, smooth sailing. Well worth my time. Didn’t preorder it so I’m looking forward to purchasing the DLC.

13. Juan Carlo says:

Who needs Techland? This game was basically a poorly optimized, nearly unplayable, and entirely lazy port on release, but the community stepped up and for the most part has been able to make available all the features that Techland should have included from the start (and much more than that even). It kind of reminds me of the STALKER games in that it’s a flawed game with lots of potential, but I suspect that as with STALKER this potential might only be fully realized through the work of the cult following it seems to have inspired (as opposed to the developers actually fixing the game).

But yeah, an official patch to fix some of the bugs that can’t be modded out would be welcome.

• Thants says:

It doesn’t seem poorly optimized to me and I don’t know what about it could be described as unplayable.

14. Tei says:

Reanimated dead’s inmunity to bullets make some sense. A lot of zombies have big holes already, that don’t seems to stop then from walking around. Making a hole in a zombie with a bullet is somewhat pointless. The general idea is that these animated bodies don’t have a complete biology, the reanimate biology maybe burn tissues to give energy to the same tissues. It don’t use the organs (except maybe the brain).

15. Bobtree says:

Act 2, which takes place in the city, is by far my favorite part of the game. The resort area is a long slow start, but if you are thinking about putting the game down, definitely make a bee-line through the story missions to reach the city first!

The post-game is disappointing unfortunately, because quest rewards aren’t scaled appropriately, the game isn’t unpredictable enough on your second play-through to maintain the difficulty, and Act 1 is a bit of a drag. I wish you could just start a character in any chapter instead of only the one you played as the first time. Co-op has similar issues, due to player leveling and mission synching, and the game is overall just too easy with more players.

I’m waiting for a patch before continuing co-op but will probably play again with serious mods someday.

16. MFToast says:

I’m enjoying the game so far, but there are a few bugs here and there. Nothing game breaking, though. The only things I’ve noticed so far are some NPC’s disappearing, such as the sick lady at the life guard station near the beginning. I can hear coughing, but she isn’t on the table in the doctor’s room anymore. That and some trouble getting co-op games started. Hope they can get things ironed out quick and get that DLC out!

• malkav11 says:

Oh, heh, yeah, I had the vanishing sick lady too. I forgot about that. Okay, one definite bug.

17. Cinnamon says:

You are Already Dead Island: The Movie.

18. Squirrelfanatic says:

This video is EXCELLENT.

19. rayne117 says:

ZOMBEH ZOMBEH ZOMBEH-EH-EH-EH

• nrvsNRG says:

Oh, do, do, dou, do, do, dou, do, do
      Dou, do, do, dou, dou, do, do, dou

• amishmonster says:

That is as perfect a transcription of the song as there could ever be. Bravo.

20. Navagon says:

The game seems fine for the most part. In fact I was really bloody enjoying it. Then I do something it doesn’t like, such as kick a beach ball into a pool and then the game declares “I KEEELLL YOUUU!” *steals money from corpse*

Honestly, it’s like I’m being trolled by the damn game. So now I’m waiting on that patch.

21. Sturtle says:

For the most part this game is good, I even bought it a few days after release off a Steam even after cruising the shitstorm that was going on in the steam forums. I haven’t run into too many bugs, the most annoying one is the constant static that I hear using my G35 Headset.

The only thing I hate about the game is Co-Op simply because a lot of the people that join your game just want to rush through everything. A good chunk of the game got ruined for me because I was doing Co Op and two of the guys had already beat the game and had completely decked out weapons, so they would rush a head of every mission and kill everything before I even got a chance to swing.

I had beaten the game in Co Op and then replayed it all in single player and found that I missed a lot of things because of these people.

But I will say I haven’t picked up the game since the second completion. Good game but I think I could of waited for the price to drop. Also I think it’s bullshit that the Publisher and the Devs refuse to set up a forum dedicated to the game…

22. burnbaby says:

For the most part this game is good and easy to play. I went though the game once reach level 44 and saw the final cut scene. All went well though the entire play though encounter no problems at all that others were reporting. Sorry for the grammar or very much lacking and spelling. I am a gamer though and though so I have grown a custom to short handing everything.

HOWEVER back to a gamers point of view

After the first play though I wanted to play again and find the lost mods and possible quests I missed and well other few little eggs around the game. I received a pop up box that says you will lose all progress and start from fresh however you will keep your items and money. Of coarse fair enough and as it was loading the very first Act it crashed to desktop with the message dead island stop responding. So i tried again about 3 or 4 more times as no one wants to invest 18+ hours and get to level 44 when 50 is max and have it mess up. Well sad to say that saved file is no more and I just have a level 44 in my face that just says hi. Now again till that point flawless game worked like a champ great FPS color and well thought out ways to just have good old fun.

So I took a few days off and said the game is to good to let this little thing get me upset so I started yet a new character and all went well solid all the way though and beet the game(about 12 hours this time) and wanted to start over however this time I was level 41 when i beet the game. I started fresh same pop up will loose all progress but I get to keep my items and money and such. Game worked like a champ got though act 1 still worked fine, got to level 42 went to bed in a good mood everything working good forgot about my problems a few days before. woke up Got though act 2 leveled to 44 then I logged out to take a break and a friend asked me to help so I come back and well same thing over again crashes to desktop and stopped working.

So now I have 2 level 44′s that are saved to different points that crash.

(no release has been given to the possible cause and if it will be addressed. For people who might ask did I honestly peripatetic in anything funny no if I herd or saw possible duping of items which yes is still around I left the game just in case that cause the first saved file to go bonkers. Again unsure what happened and no reason given. Now I in no way collected anything from anyone just to better safe than sorry and I believe in a perfect game before you well find these things as any true gamer should be)

Total time played 42+ hours of play
    40 out of 48 achievements
    discovered 96% of all mods
    Discovered all dev mods

Personal rating

**Reply value: 1 out of 5
    **Smooth textures: 2 out of 5
    (sometimes would tapper but not a lot)
    **Story quality: 4 out of 5
    **Playing with friends: 2 out of 5
    (I mark that low as your microphone is always on not hot key button to turn it off or on so kinda troublesome if you get a little child on or a person to like to breath right into a microphone)

**play experience again during both first play troughs: 5 out of 5
    (now keep in mind if you play the PC Version it will only play as good as your PC runs and if your up to date with your drivers and you are not at the bare minimum requirements as well time to upgrade your stuff)

**I would Give this game a 3 out of 5 and if you address and promise me no more messed up saved games and time lost then I would go as high as 4 out of 5

I will say game plays great 1 time though and teaming with friends and strangers very awesome.
    It was good enough for me to forgive 18+ hours of it messing up to go again. However the 2nd crash sealed the deal for me and I will not try again unless some how a corrupted saved file saved on server side can somehow be patched and restored.

If you are looking for a game to enjoy that has no repeat value as it appears this does not only happen on PC however every other version and PS3 has the most problems out of PC and xbox put together then get the game. Again it is a fun game and very well thought out however I am the type of person who likes to go for 100% and this game failed to offer me that chance 2 times due to things outside of my power as again saved game slates for PC version are saved server side and not on your personal computer.

23. wholesalegames says:

Well good, by 2017 there will be interest toward the game again.

24. Rebmul says:

So far every time I get a character to 42 the save file corrupts and crashes the game every time I try to load that save file. Every time I start a new character it’s a countdown to dooms day for me cause I know it’s going to corrupt. To me this is the most annoying problem with Dead Island and some of my friends have had the same problem if anyone knows a fix for this since Techland doesn’t have one yet I would be grateful.

25. RegisteredUser says:

You know what’s odd about this game?

I have a feeling the GAME ITSELF deserves more credit than the people that originally made it.

I think this is in part due to the fact that it was quite literally picked up and “finished” – as in make it actually playable/enjoyable in the way many wanted it to be – by the community as opposed to the people who are asking your money for access to it.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the better mods that the game is impossible for many people to enjoy without? Not trying to start shit, just wondering… So far I’ve only heard of a reportedly “hilarious” kung-fu mod, and it sounds like something I can live without.

Edit: as someone who had to fiddle with ini files just to start the game, I totally get the “playable” part.