Man-Shoot, -Slice, -Sling: The Darkness II

By Adam Smith on October 3rd, 2011 at 5:15 pm.

If a man really had demons growing out of his shoulders, people would just run away

What mad form of ultraviolence will I be introduced to next, I often wonder. This time it’s quad wielding in The Darkness 2, making me realise it wasn’t long ago that dual wielding was an exciting prospect thought to be possible only in John Woo films, but then Rise of the Triad came along with its guns akimbo and ludicrous gibs. Judging by this new video, The Darkness 2 won’t disappoint on either the gore or the preposterous death-dealing fronts. With a gun in each hand and murderous tentacles sprouting from his flesh, Jackie Estacado can rip the door off a car and cut a goon’s face off with it while firing two automatic weapons, or ensnare an unruly gangsster, casually lob him into the air, and then fill him with bullets before he hits the floor. If you don’t believe these things are possible, watch and learn.

It seems like gunstacking was only yesterday and now this? It can’t be long before someone makes a game where the player is a gun made out of other guns that shoot guns. The trailer doesn’t actually tell us much beyond the fact that people will die horribly at Jackie’s hands and other appendages. It does occasionally look like the city has been converted into a zero gravity chamber, causing men to drift slowly in the ether rather than slamming into walls with bone-crunching force.

And is it just me or are the logos at the beginning of the trailer louder and more active than most actual trailers? I felt like I’d been to a particularly raucous rock concert.

, , , .

1. Shooop says:

Someone make this a reality. It must be made so.

2. felisc says:

well, swinging tentacles is cool, but they take an awful lot of space on the screen.

3. Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Rise of the Triad: 2x wield: 1995.
    The Darkness 2: 4x wield: 2011.

Doubling in wieldiness every 16 years. It doesn’t sound like much, but by 2171 we will be wielding four thousand and ninety-six weapons at once.

• sneetch says:

Knowing that my great grandchildren will enjoy this makes it all feel worthwhile.

• John Richardson says:

Sounds like a future Borderlands game

• DeathCarrot says:

MDK2 had quad-wielding in 2000. We should be up to 8 or 16 way wielding by now!

• Navagon says:

So by then we’ll have a game based on this film?

4. ResonanceCascade says:

I read ‘wielding’ as ‘welding’ and thought for a moment that the gun in the image was a blowtorch.

Which makes me wonder, why don’t more games let you kill people with a blowtorch?

• Balhazer says:

There’s Killing Floor, the “pyro” perk let you incinerate everything at your heart content!

It even prize you with more damage and fuel to keep doing it.

• Strange_guy says:

Except even in the firebugs hands the blow torch does no damage. I guess you could argue the flamethrower is a very specialist type of blow torch though.

5. flexm says:

Or why doesn’t more games just feature welding in general, some really good games have had welding while it’s almost always absent from shitty games. (ie alien swarm vs alien breed)

edit: replyness to resonance cascade lost by logging in

6. Battlehenkie says:

It’s a shame the first installment is not available for PC. Atmosphere, music and Mike Patton made it one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had in the past decade.

• Premium User Badge Colonel J says:

Indeed. I really enjoyed the first game back in the day when I still had a console. Surprised that Starbreeze never ported it to PC.

• Shortwave says:

Mike Patton you say?!
      I wonder if he’ll be in this one? Hmm.
      That would be enough for me to buy it. Ha!

• Battlehenkie says:

Aye, he’s confirmed to have reprised his role as The Darkness. He’s the reason that got me interested in the first game in the first place. Anything that man touches is quality, so I feel TD2 must be a safe buy.

7. Danny252 says:

Is it just me or do the guns just seem rather superfluous?

“You could shoot him, or you could throw that lampost at him”
    “You could hold him up with a tentacle and shoot him, or you could just have the other tentacle punch through his neck”
    “You could knock them down with a tentacle whack and shoot them, or you could slice them in half”
    “You could hide behind a car door whilst advancing and shooting, or you could throw it at them”

• Xenon_MD says:

I’ve got a box full of the comics and iirc Jackie never used guns when he was able to use the Darkness.

Guns during his daylight hours when he was at his most vulnerable and couldn’t use his powers – at all other times it was full on Darkness tentacles, minions and ripping into things using the claws on his armour.

8. Grinnbarr says:

I can see how this would work with a controller (triggers and bumpers) but how the hell do you control something like this with M+K?

• RegisteredUser says:

4 button mouse = voila.
      Although I kind of prefer akimbo guns that fire on a single click rather than having to hold 2 buttons, so a 3 button mouse should already do.

Or simply ESDF keyboard and A and G are the tentacles. Or W and R. etc pp.

Nothing is impossible, you DO have 100+ buttons available with a PC, unlike with a console..

9. Scandalon says:

Pointless nitpicking: According to Wikipedia, Marathon was released several months before RoTT, and it featured dual-wielded shotguns…or did that not come until Marathon 2?

• Creeping Death says:

You could have found this out while on Wikipedia

“Naturally, action films have been a major influence on action gaming. Rise of the Triad and Marathon, both released on December 21, 1994, were the earliest first-person shooters to integrate akimbo pistols.”

It would seem by wikipedia skills outmatch yours, sir!

• Scandalon says:

It would seem by wikipedia skills outmatch yours, sir!

Au Contraire!

I got my release dates from the main wikipedia entries forRoTT and Marathon which clearly are more canonical than a stub entry such as that put forth by yourself.

Clearly my wikipediosity is greater than thine own. Do you yield?!?

However, I am humble and gracious enough to admit I was slightly wrong, in that Marathon 1 only let you dual-wield the pistols, the shotguns were in M2. (From TV Tropes entry on Dual Wielding AKA Guns Akimbo:

In the Marathon series, you can dual-wield .45 magnums.
      Marathon 2 features what may be the only thing cool enough to justify sacrificing the satisfying chunk-chunk-boom rhythm of pump-action shotguns in videogames. The marine cocks his sawed-off lever action by flipping them end over end, like Arnie does in Terminator 2, which was awesome to begin with. But when you find another one, you get the chance to dual-wield double-barreled shotguns! The issue of recoil management is likely handled by the fact that the character is implied to be a military-grade cyborg, while the issues of reloading twin shotguns (or even one) between shots (they don’t have magazines) is handwaved in the manual by Durandal saying they have an exotic reloading mechanism he doesn’t think you’d be able to understand. This is so much fun that it could pretty much justify Marathon all by itself.

10. nrvsNRG says:

really looking forward to this. played the first one on the shitbox360 and very much enjoyed the feeling of power it gave you.

11. YanDaik says:

crazy camera movement

12. KenTWOu says:

Jackie Estacado can rip the door off a car…

Reminds me about Crysis 2, cause Alcatraz already did this:

13. Premium User Badge MonkeyMonster says:

Ludicrous gibs… oh the memories. A small tear of teenage joy just dribbled from my eye as I fondly remember the very very early serial cabled based multiplayerings of ROTT and doom2…

Made my wednesday, thank you Adam.