Veni, Vidi, Voxel: Voxatron

By Adam Smith on October 3rd, 2011 at 10:53 am.

Giant Snail Pursuit Simulator

Some days it’s hard to coax a smile out of me, usually because I’ve inadvertently pondered the state of the world rather than concentrating on my cocoon of make-believe. There were moments this morning when I thought this might be one such day and that I’d end up typing furious screeds about every terrible piece of news I could find. But the I saw the new trailer for Voxatron, which made everything seem just fine. Better than fine. We’ve had our eyes on this for a while but this is the first new footage since April and it comes with the announcement that the alpha will be available soon for anyone willing to preorder. Take a look.

That really hits the spot. The bit with the lava at the end? Exciting! The part with the sword that brings back memories of hours playing Ant Attack? Delightful! The Voxel Man’s twitching eye and bleeding nose? Confusing and frightening!

Along with destructible environments and groovy music, Voxatron will contain a full world editor. The alpha will be available “shortly” but the full version’s release isn’t fixed yet, as the game is expanding from an arcade shooter into a more ambitious adventure. The editor, which you can see more of here, should still allow for self-contained sessions of running, jumping and voxelcide.

Let’s hope that’s not my entire smile quotient for the day.

, , , .

1. Sheng-ji says:

Looks a bit like M…..

Wait for it…

My kind of game!

Heheheh

• sgt. grumbles says:

So you’re saying it’s “MMy kind of game!”? That was definitely worth the wait, thanks.

• The Infamous Woodchuck says:

LOlolololallwallawll Very funny lol!

Sorry. i couldnt resist

• Sheng-ji says:

@Sgt. Grumbles (Love your name!) Yup, a bit like Tony the tiger!

Serious point, the video of the game made me happy!

• MD says:

Sheng-ji, it took me like 3 re-reads to get the joke, but I liked it! (That may not say much for the intelligence level of the audience you’re reaching, but still…)

• Sheng-ji says:

MD, I think in all honesty it just doesn’t say much about my intelligence level! I’m sure this was pretty much the PC indie gaming equivalent of a fart joke

• MD says:

And I’m the guy who stared blankly for 15 seconds and then started giggling.

• Heliocentric says:

How is this like Mass Effect? Idiot.

• Koozer says:

…oh I Get it now.

2. Keilnoth says:

Love it already.

3. AngryAmoeba says:

This is clearly Humble Bundle material (or will be, when it’s done).

RaveTurned says:

Good point! I was thinking of buying this, now I’ll hold back until it’s in some pay-what-you-want deal.

(Flame on! :P)

• Mattressi says:

I don’t see the controversy – you’re essentially waiting for a special. Almost every game goes on special at some point, so surely it’s only as objectionable to wait for a game to go HIB as it is to wait for it to go on special. The only issue I see is that it may never be a part of HIB. There’s a lot of great indie games (like Gratuitous Space Battles and Minecraft) that have been sold for ages but have never been in a HIB, and I’m happy that I’ve bought them. I could have been waiting the rest of my life for them to go into a HIB :S

I guess it’s just a matter of priorities – if you don’t have much money or don’t feel like spending much and you don’t particularly care how long it is until you play a game, you can just wait for it to go into a HIB. Which is kinda the entire point of HIB – setting such a low price that many who’d never have bought it will pay for it (and in my case, not play it, despite having paid for it…I blame Steam sales for increasing my gaming backlog).

• Sheng-ji says:

@RaveTurned – I agree with Mattressi, I don’t think anyone really has a bad word to say about HIB’s, they make money for the developers, bargains for the users, it’s win win

• Xerian says:

Actually – Minecraft has been part of it, essentially. An old bundle gave you a game “pass” for MC, like a week, I think. So apparently, Notch doesnt support charity nearly as much as his own wallet, but nevertheless, I do hope this’ll be in the Humble Indie Bundle – I’ve bought every damned one thusly, and I thoroughly enjoy it. (Am I a dick for giving everyone of the supported “charities” and such more than the devs?… Or am I a good samaritan? Mm. I do love supporting the humble bundle guys* and EFF aswell as childsplay. Owell.)
      *Some of them are making that fancy wierd rabbit-martial arts game, afterall.

And @ Sheng-Ji – That, and they make money for several charities, and they usually set themselves lower than the others (although I usually do give them a sizeable amount, about the same as the devs (Sometimes a tad more, makin me either an arse or good samaritan), whereas I give EFF and CP more than both of those… Which I say makes me a good-ish bloke ;P)
      So I say its a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN. The HiB guys WIN, the devs WIN, EFF WINS, CP is WINNING! and you know who else is WINNING!? You are!

• terry says:

“So apparently, Notch doesnt support charity nearly as much as his own wallet”

Based on the HiB donation list, this is completely wrong.

• Xerian says:

He outdid the competitor with what, 1-ish dollar? It was simply for publicity, its quite obvious unless you’re ignorant, but sure, I dont have anything against Notch, hes cool enough, I guess. But still, it is quite obvious. If just a fraction of the people whom bought the HiB with his trial in it bought the game, he’d make more than the bloody donation. So there ye’ have it.

• zbeeblebrox says:

@Terry: clearly, what Xerian meant by that phrase was that Notch’s wallet just plain literally supports more charity than he does. He walks by homeless people and quarters just fly out of his pocket without his consent. He watches public television fund drives, and suddenly it’s on the phone with the network in the other room, door locked. I’ve told him that this is unhealthy behavior and it should really see a councilor, but Notch is kind of an enabler, what with constantly providing it money..

4. torchedEARTH says:

Reminds me of 3d dot heroes but it looks a lot better.

5. resignation.speaks says:

“Some days it’s hard to coax a smile out of me, usually because I’ve inadvertently pondered the state of the world rather than concentrating on my cocoon of make-believe.”

I hear you..
    Games, Escapism.

• DiamondDog says:

Yeah, what’s all this nonsense about a failing economy? I’ve got enough cash for 3 praxis points!

• godgoo says:

This is me, and (I suspect) more generally; Us.

• jti says:

Sentences like that make this place worth visiting.

6. Creaturemagic says:

Pre-ordering as soon as possible! Looks truly awesome.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Sorry to be a grump & I know it’s a nitpick but an embed would be super.

• Adam Smith says:

Added. A thousand apologies; my brain is lacking today.

• DrazharLn says:

As an addendum, all your embeds lack fullscreen buttons, Adam. Articles by other RPS writers don’t have this problem.

• Adam Smith says:

Addendum noted. Problem hopefully corrected, now and forever.

• Buttless Boy says:

Adam, your embeds smell funny.

• Xerian says:

Yes, and so does Adam himself. And I know how to say “Your body odor is offensive” in chinese! (You ought to read this out-loud); Yu Stin Ki Pu!
      Anyhow, joking aside – I do, in all honesty, love your articles. They’re (More chinese! This ones “Great”) Fa Kin Su Pah!

• Skabooga says:

Also, Adam, you are one handsome, handsome man, and I wish for you to marry into my family. And not just because you like voxels. Although, that is a contributing reason.

8. Urthman says:

I think I was sold where it got to the bit where he’s shooting monsters in a sort of maze and he gets to a wall and just jumps over it.

9. Freud says:

Voxels make me happy.

10. Vandalbarg says:

Doesn’t Ace of Spades use voxels too? Why doesn’t that look nearly as good as this? Not enough voxels, I presume.

• Williz says:

Pretty much nail on the head there, this looks like it has alot more voxel density.

• jonnyherbert says:

IIRC, this uses a voxel engine to do all of the maths, and then renders everything with polygons, hence the lovely shading and shadowing. Could be wrong, though.

• LionsPhil says:

Because Ace of Spades is pretty much the only of the current wave of “voxel” games that’s actually rendering using fucking voxels, using code from Ken Silverman (BUILD engine, i.e. Duke Nukem 3D). Most of the others, Minecraft included, and I believe this, are rendering little polygonial cubes.

And that’s not necessarily bad. I believe there’s still overlap in techniques, and “via polygons” is a way to render voxels. It’s just a bit…misleading? Generally speaking if you say voxel graphics in the context of games, it implies actual voxel rendering, like Outcast, or Delta Force, or SMAC, or Tiberian Sun/Red Alert 2. (The latter used them for units; the terrain was isometric tiles, natch.)

If you mean “cuboid”, you may as well just say “cuboid”.

(Also, yes, resolution. Ace of Spades uses HUGE voxels. Compare with the Voxlap demo.)

11. noom says:

Think that trailer’s tipping me into a chiptune binge. First stop, Anamanaguchi.

12. terry says:

This thoroughly scratches my nostalgic itch. Day 0 purchase, or before if possible.

13. Scandalon says:

Is the music made of Voxels? Music-Voxels -> Moxels?

(I guess the audio version of voxels would just be .mod/Tracker music…)

14. Acosta says:

This is more interesting than Voxels, tell us more oh mighty Spambot.

15. KillahMate says:

“The Voxel Man’s twitching eye and bleeding nose? Confusing and frightening!”

Voxel Music Man blew his mind.