Does It Need The Number? Insane 2

By Jim Rossignol on October 5th, 2011 at 5:02 pm.

Insane! Haha, that means this game is *crazy*. Yeah. Good times.
When I saw the announcement for Insane 2, which is out a little later this year, something stirred, deep in the lost vaults of my head. Insane. Yes. Why do I know that name? A bit of Googling later and I realise that the original insane (which cleverly anticipated the letter-as-numbers-in-sequels thing by being called 1nsane, which surely means this one should be called In2ane) is one of the first games I ever reviewed in anger – a multiplayer offroad racing game from Codemasters released in 2000. 2000! That’s almost a thousand years ago. Quite why Codies decided to make a sequel to a game that people who played it can barely remember is beyond me, but there it is. Actually, I vaguely suspect it is a rebranded version of a game that has already come out in Russia, but I can’t be sure. There’s a video of the game below. You sure to race about and stuff.

Mmm. I am going to go back to Rage. Where I can also race about and stuff.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Baboonanza says:

That actually looks like fun

2. President Weasel says:

Calling it “In2ane” would lead to the strong temptation to call it “Inane 2″. Not the most enticing name for a game.

• LionsPhil says:

Looking at the end title, it is called “In2ane”, with a backwards “2″.

And, damnit Jim, of course it needs the number. This “release game with the same name” trend is needlessly confusing.

• President Weasel says:

Well, Lionsphil and unaco, I do not approve.
      The sound you hear is the universe continuing exactly as before and nobody taking a blind bit of notice, but still – down with l33tsp34k in titles, down with it I say!

• DirtGunfrey says:

In2ane. In twain?

• MadTinkerer says:

But l33tspeak was still trendy when 1sane came out, and now the trend is so old it’s retro! It needs to come back for this game!

(It still doesn’t make any sense for Fa-three-ir or Thee-four-f to do it, but 1nsane? Totally.)

3. pkt-zer0 says:

Hey, I remember the game! Then again, I also remember Terep 1/2. Good times were had.

4. Unaco says:

Watch the video. Look at the end, from about 55secs. It is actually called ‘In2ane’, but the 2 is reversed so it looks like an S.

5. ZIGS says:

Is this coming out on Steam?

• max pain says:

If it’s not, I’m not buying.

Because, you know, I’ll have to download it from a dev custom site and the game might not even install!

6. InSaNe-O_o says:

mmmmmmmmmm YES! one of my fav games :D!
    and no i did not take my nick from that game. (its from another game that gave me my nick)
    anyway I love 1nsane to bits. it still has a small community today.

7. Linfosoma says:

OMG yes! I loved the first game. Definitely looking forward to this one.

In other off-road news, has anyone tried this game? Is it any good?

Sorta related: Diver San Fran is actually very good despite all the PC drama, the port is solid and the game’s a lot of fun. It also has a magnificent selection of cars and music.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

it’s good but it’s best when you drive slowly and methodically and using the winch and that. which might not be what you are looking for?

• Ic4ruz says:

It’s good! It has some really nice terrain deformation. But it’s a slow racing game, and you might get stuck somewhere and have no way of going forward (survival racing), but that is part of the fun. I think it deserves more attention RPS?

• lessthandan says:

Thanks for the link. I know I’ve seen that game on Steam lately, but I wasn’t sure exactly what kind of game it was.

I’ve always wanted a slower, nitty-gritty, off-road driving game. Looks like this might be good. I won’t pay $25 for it, but I’m definitely putting it on my wish list.

Edit: After watching the video for it and hearing the soundtrack, my desire to play it has sunk through the floor. Ugh.

8. Javier-de-Ass says:

it’s the sequel to 1nsane. of course it needs the number. the hell.

In2ane. Insan3. Ins4ne. In5ane. Insane 6. wait for insane 6, rps.

• Cooper says:

Insane 6: Very Insane:
      V.I.

?

• Flet says:

Ins6ne (pretend the 6 is backwards… precedent set in insane 2)
      7nsane
      Ins8ne
      ins9ne
      10nsane? Dang, not very strong.
      11nsane
      1n2ane
      1nsan3

We’re set for at least a decade.

9. noom says:

Might I just be the first (edit:second) to point out that it is called In2ane…

10. Siimon says:

One of my favorite multiplayer (LAN) games ever, half a dozen people playing some odd capture the flag variant is insanely fun :D (

11. Ovno says:

Looks a hell of a lot like Motorstorm 2 to me, hopefully it will live up to such an imaginary pedigree….

12. Javier-de-Ass says:

there is a demo for this btw. it was released 5 months ago actually. hehe. not that good. but, could be old http://russobit-m.ru/download/demos/i2_demo_setup_rus.exe

13. Flameberge says:

Yay! I have a lot of love for the first Insane, with its open maps and vehicular capture the flag goodness.

However, since then, this will have to out Motorstorm Motorstorm, because it looks a lot like the trailer is focussing on semi-open tracks as you would get in Motorstorm, rather than a simple area with checkpoints in it as you would get in Insane.

To be honest, with some of the jumps in evidence and the very bouncy physics, this looks more like a sequel to FUEL than Insane.

• LionsPhil says:

This just reminds me that another of 1NSANE’s party pieces was to generate random heightmap terrain and then plonk the AI drivers down on it in all sorts of interesting game modes with non-obvious pathing like Gate Hunt* and still have them be competitive, even if sometimes they got a bit overeager about what kind of gradient they could scale.

Which would lead to a 16-wheeler stalling and sliding sideways down a hill and smashing into a tiny buggy on free-class matches. Ah, good times.

*I think that was the name of the “N gates, go through them all in any order” one, anyway. The AI never twigged heading for the next potential gate if they couldn’t possibly be first to the current one in Jamboree, mind…

14. Synesthesia says:

should be a fps.

15. Davee says:

Oh man, so many fond memories from Insane! The damage models on the cars was hilarious to play around with (I once managed to invert – yes invert – a Blazer by driving it into the ground down from one of the pyramids). And the CTF ‘battles’ were epic.

16. mollemannen says:

i have very fond memories of 1nsane from playing with my friends on LAN. the destruction engine was the games highpoint because you could completely wreck a car by placing it in the middle of two highspeeding trucks. also the hold the flag game was awesome.

• LionsPhil says:

1NSANE was the UT99 of arcadey racers, with lots of fun game modes and a fairly nippy, clean engine. And that glorious damage model that would leave you with one wheel buckled uselessly under your chassis, hobbling around on the KOTH point because you just need to hold it a little longer and despawning for a five second repair would lose you the match. Oh, oh, and it had the best force-feedback I’ve ever felt in a racing game—with my Saitek joystick (not even a wheel), I could actually read the damn road surface enough to noticeably drive better than without, i.e. my lap times improved.

It were brilliant.

This trailer…is not that game. It does look like CTF/hold-the-flag is still in, but some of those jumps should be causing deformation of which there is no evidence, and it suffers from Codies’ recent obsession of stupid, stupid blurry narrow-FOV muck-on-the-cheap-camera-with-horrible-dark-border-lens-problems graphics. On top of that, given recent performance, it’ll run badly, play badly, and be crippled with horrendous DRM. Blech.

• yourgrandma says:

1sane had some pretty realistic offroading physics and the fact you could lock your differentials was cool. This just looks like a motorstorm clone unfortunately and the parts just seem to fall of your vehicle with no real deformation.

• crbrsd says:

Agreed, this looks pretty terrible. The original 1nsane was great.

17. BrightCandle says:

Its Codemasters, it’ll be a bug ridden hunk of junk.

• Navagon says:

It’s not so much that Codemasters release bug-ridden junk. It’s that they don’t release patches for anything. Ever. No matter how much of a mess it is.

18. mmorpg games says:

first one was a blast in LAN.

19. Jason Moyer says:

Wow, talk about unexpected sequels that needed to be made. I hope the gameplay is similar to the first one, unforgiving damage model and all.

20. tomovo says:

They should make a sequel to IGNITION instead. I played the shit out of that. Best graphics, best controls, cool cars, beautiful maps, fun racing.

21. Flaringo says:

If this turns out to be some sort of console exclusive I am going to cry like a child for weeks

22. Megadyptes says:

Yes it does need the number. I hate it when they drop the numbers from games gone past, it’s like they’re trying to erase the memory of the past so whatever shitty new thing they’re trying to force down our throats tastes better.

23. CriminalJustice says:

I remember playing 1nsane a while back, I liked it because it was one of the very few off-roading games on the market. Correct me if I am wrong, but 1nsane was a realistic off-road racer, where one uses differentials/lockers and such. This just looks like a generic racer with different settings, unfortunately. It’s lost it’s roots!

• LionsPhil says:

I’d say that respawning if you turn yourself into an undriveable banana might just knock it off the “realistic” perch, full of F1 sims as that may be, toward a happy halfway point that can just about be played with a keyboard.

(The best moment is making a driveable banana, though, especially if you twist it such that it crabs everywhere.)

• Jason Moyer says:

1nsane had really good physics, despite the gameplay itself being very arcade/action oriented. It also had a hilariously unforgiving damage model where launching off of cliffs (often the shortest way to the next checkpoint) resulted in the suspension being completely annihilated.

24. N says:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

25. Zeewolf says:

1nsane was awesome, and the damage model it used was one of the most brilliant things ever in a video game. It’s on GOG, BTW.

Totally looking forward to trying this.

26. irongamer says:

YES! I love 1nsane. Some of the best LAN times ever. Laughed myself hoarse more than once. Most fun my friends and I have ever had with a racing game. I hope they keep the crazy physics and car deformation as strong as the first. Another friend and I used the rock crawlers to explore maps and just find difficult things to climb. Great times!

Also, nothing like threading a double length school bus under a row of utility vans and have it come out the other side looking like a ribbon launched into orbit. (these were mods of course)

• Screamer says:

Ah the good old days….. we used to LAN the capture the flag mode for hours on end! When last did Codeys include LAN in their games? Can we hope?

27. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Oh my.

I still adore the first Insane, playing it against the a.i. or at LANs was amazing fun, the physics was spot on, and the car bending and breaking was wonderful.

Here’s hoping they still have that fantastic cockpit view and all those details that made the first.

edit*

Ok looks more like Motorstorm, which is both a good thing and ho-hum. Also the title is as wonderfully stupid as the first. Nice.

28. dsi1 says:

Just from reading the comments on 1nsane in this article, In2ane deserves to be made.

(but will likely fail)

29. lessthandan says:

That video reminded me a lot of Excite Truck for the Wii, which is a good thing. A very good thing.

Also, I know I’ve seen 1nsane on GOG.com but I had no idea it was made by codies. I might have to pick it up.

30. irongamer says:

I will miss the crazy car deformations, if not included in In2ane, that could happen in 1nsane. Like trying to get a vehicle with 2 wheels slammed above the chassis or the axles rammed together, making your truck look like a bug, to hobble around on the map. The baja bug had some of the best deformations, like a pancake with 4 wheels clunking around or a weird flat yet banana shaped rocking horse. The little damage shown in the video is very disheartening. If they dropped that stuff, they will have lost a lot from the original.

31. Kelron says:

This has just been released on Gamersgate, apparently through the Russian publisher rather than Codemasters. I’d give it a try because I liked the first game, but it has Starforce.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

yeah, codemasters doesn’t have anything to do with the game. they just licensed out the license or something. I believe they commented on this when the game first appeared early in the year. it’s too bad it’s so overpriced at 40 euros. it’s completely the wrong price for it. especially since, judging from the demo, it misses the point of the first 1nsane completely. targem games like armageddon riders / clutch and sledgehammer are much better. I really wish targem would discover a better physics programmer.

32. duel says:

This looks exactly like the Motorstorm series on the PS3.

33. WJonathan says:

The vehicle selection looks interesting, other than that the video seems pretty bland.

34. Dogsbody says:

barely remember, my ass – this game was the shit when it came out. maps were huge, vehicles had some pretty damn good damage for the time – hell yes to a sequel.

35. Bootes says:

I loved 1nsane. My friends and I played so much of the demo.

36. ttcfcl says:

Oh my god. I loved the first one. It was the first game with decent suspension and crash physics. And it was fun. I’m sad it’s not made by Invictus anymore, and it just looks like a FUEL/Flatout knock off. I still will check it out.