Future Wars: Anno 2070 Gets Militant

By Adam Smith on October 6th, 2011 at 10:56 am.

Under the sea, is where I'll be, no talkin' 'bout the rain no more
Anno 2070 is a vision of what cities will be like when I’m either dead or an incredibly doddery old chap with a cybernetic toupee, and I’ve been pleased by the promise of its glistening underwater cities. Despite the terrible lack of resources facing our fragile globe, I’d quite enjoy retiring to one of those sea-bubbles. But, of course, someone had to go and spoil my future by bringing war into it. This newest trailer for the city-builder sim shows the military of the future, all sleek submarines, whirligig rocket-crafts and submersible death-platforms.

The release date is November 17th. 2011, not 2070.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. frenz0rz says:

I quite like the prospect of harvesting the submerged remnants of former civilization, such as the skyscraper pictured in the trailer. However, I find it a little odd how the narrator seems to suggest this is ‘stealing’. Surely its just recycling?

2. DeathHamsterDude says:

Uhm. It says 17th of November in the trailer is when it’s going to be released.

I suppose it’s a good thing they included war as an option, it makes sense, but I still wish that it wasn’t. It’d be nice to have more peaceful games.

• Adam Smith says:

So instead of checking press releases, I could have simply watched the trailer I was watching! Thanks and updated.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

No problem. Who watches the last five seconds of trailers anyway? They’re just padding! ;)

• mrwout says:

If my memory serves me correctly a “peaceful mode” was included in all previous Anno games, so I’m pretty sure it will also be included in this one.

• Biscuitry says:

In such games (Outpost 2, anyone) I tend to regard the AI player’s aggression as just another natural force to overcome, with its own management and mitigation strategies. Going on the offensive myself is rarely the option I’d choose, but by the same token I do enjoy having that adversity.

3. cairbre says:

You’re a recycle!

4. Zarunil says:

My interest. You have it.

5. Xirvus.rei says:

Ahhh, wahh, it might have UBI DRM! Wahh, ahh, wahhhgh.

Well, I don’t care. I’m still going to buy it. Loved Dawn of Discovery (which was Anno 1404 or something in Europe land), and this looks great as a continuation of the series.

PC only sim builder series? We need more of these. Ubisoft, you have my money. And for that, I get a game. Yay!

6. saladin says:

Every time you build a military unit in an Anno game, a cosmic entity kills a kitten.

7. Carra says:

The Anno games are awesome… but the military aspect has never been well implemented.

I find the building to be much more fun. Played all the economical scenariosof anno 1404 but I didn’t bother with the military ones.

8. Devec says:

I never really liked the military units in the Anno series, especially the last one (1404) where it removed individual control from land units to really allow you to engage as you wished. So I resorted mostly to just blasting with boats sitting of the coast.

If they are actually able to make a sci-fi anno like game with a managable economy and the ability to raise and control a futuristic army I have nothing to say but: “Shut up and take my money Ubisoft!”

I feel kind of dirty for saying that now.

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

Land units seem to be out completely. You just control air, sea and submarine units. All seem to be individually controlled.

9. UnravThreads says:

I sent RPS an e-mail earlier this week.

For those not in the know, Anno 2070 does not have UbiDRM

• Khemm says:

What DOES it have, then? One time activation and Uplay achievement support?
      Btw, Ubi DRM=/= constant internet connection requirement. It’s like saying that Diablo 3 will have Ubi DRM…

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

Not sure about Uplay but from the sounds of it seems to be tied to a Ubi-account (whatever those are called) but its only a one time activation and after that no internet or DVD in drive required. So I think there might be stuff like achievements which are only available if you play online but thats just my guessing.
      But the no always online DRM stuff is officialy confirmed by Related Designs and Ubisoft.

• Khemm says:

That’s perfectly fine, then – same DRM as in HoMM VI or AC Brotherhood.

10. Drake Sigar says:

War is just one option – the fun one.

• JFS says:

And it never changes. They even have Orcas. I believe they were already in fashion 15 years ago.

11. deadstoned says:

If the game comes out without always online DRM I’ll get it :) , looks brilliant!

12. Moth Bones says:

I’ve nothing to say about this game, but I really like Adam’s writing style. He’s a great addition to RPS.

13. radioactivez0r says:

I did some co-op on Dawn of Discovery, and after a while I got really bored because it seemed like the only way to “win” was to build every single thing in the game. Maybe it was our win conditions? It just seemed like an endless grind.