Go West: Dead Rising 2 Off The Record

By Adam Smith on October 6th, 2011 at 11:05 am.

He's covered malls, y'know

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record is out October 11th, revisiting the sequel’s crazed casino-mall through the eyes and lens of the original game’s swaggering photojournalist Frank West. Both the protagonist and the trailer are delightful because they appear to take themselves far too seriously but swiftly degenerate into surreal, nonsensical madcappery. It all looks rather bleak and ill-judged, with the tale of a once great man fallen on hard times. And then the theme tune kicks in and it’s suddenly more Saints Row: The Third than George Romero. Just remember…his name’s Frank.

Nobody eats quite like Frank West, with his plastic popcorn that doesn’t come out of the tub and demurely shoving entire lobsters into his face. Along with technical improvements and Frank’s photo skills, Off The Record will include new enemies, new vehicles, new weapons and new environments. There will also be a sandbox mode with no time limit, for those who just want to wear ill-fitting clothes and hit zombies with toy hammers. Who isn’t up for that?

, , .

1. Zeewolf says:

He’s covered wars, you know.

2. Baka says:

“There will also be a sandbox mode with no time limit”
    Yes, Yes, Yeees! Or, wait. That means no Story / Campaign, eh? Shucks, why does this game have to force all those time limits on you. Without those, the first one could’ve been tremendous coop fun. But all those timers made me hectic and uneasy.

• Adam Smith says:

As I understand it, there’ll be no story taking place while the timer is disabled in sandbox mode, but Frank does get his own story to play through and that will have the usual timer. Which may be what you meant, but I am in clarification mode!

• Jockie says:

From what I read (I *think* it was at 1UP) Frank essentially gets shoehorned into Chuck Green’s story from Dead Rising 2, with a few elements switched around for it to make sense (ie Frank is infected and has to gather Zombrex rather than gather it for Chuck’s daughter).

I also read that the sandbox mode has no survivors to rescue, but lots of the atrocious bosses.

The Review/Preview was actually pretty cynical about the whole thing, saying it’s essentially a re-make of Dead Rising 2 with Frank West in the main role and not really worthwhile for anyone who has played that game.

On the other hand, if you didn’t get DR2 then you should either grab that at bargain price, or get this, because it was great fun, especially co-oped.

Edit – It wasn’t 1up, no idea where I read about it.

• 3lbFlax says:

Sounds about the same as the first game’s infinite mode, but hopefully with a save option. The bosses were a pain in that, too. If I want to fight annoying AI under annoying conditions, there are thousands of games I can choose from. Like all good-hearted people, all I want is a boiling sea of regular zombies: no bosses, no killer plants, no special ability zombies, no crazed survivors, no lobster creatures, no slime beasts, no UFOs, no convicts, no Irish, no corrupt mayors, no werewolves, no cultists, no thugees, no assassins, no sexy librarians, no reporters, no revenge-crazed Shakespearean hams, no wizards, no virgin policemen, no demons, no blues musicians, no cowboys, no cowmen, no serial killers who might ironically be the only people you can trust, no pensioners, no chemists, no Nazis, no fingersmiths, no florists, no American football players, no hackers, no city slickers, no gunmen, no maniacs, no knights of old, no troubadours, no arsonists, no parents, no news anchors, no weird proprietors of antique shops, no ex-servicemen selling matches and laces, no unsettling daughters of ex-servicemen selling matches and laces, no sexually frustrated office managers who were in the desert, you know, Monty’s lot, no film-flam artists, no carneys, no orderlies, no vicars, no celebrities, no witches. I could go on.

I would allow a biker gang, on account of the presence of custard pies.

• stupid_mcgee says:

@ Jockie: Gamepro had a good preview.

OTR does offer some gameplay perks that seems like it would have made DR2′s multiplayer a bit easier. The preview vids I’ve seen have cutscenes with the old psycho dialog, just with new Frank dialog filled in. (it was the Ted and Snowflake psychos)

To be fair, I’m not sure how much of the actual storyline is different, but the launch trailer does show some new cutscenes. So, who knows. Could be a totally new campaign, just in the same (plus one new zone) setting, could be just new cutscenes injected into DR2′s campaign to conveniently explain Frank’s presence.

I’m hoping for the former.

thekeats1999 says:

Suppose it might be worth pointing out that the UK release is on the 14th and the 11th. Oh and GFWL as well.

If i can finish Xenoblades and Aliens Infestation before Skyrim i will give this a go. Especially for the sandbox mode.

4. Ergates_Antius says:

I want to see the expression on the face of that zombie 2 seconds after the above screenshot was taken….

• Joe Duck says:

The should make a game with enemies that look and attack exactly like that guy. As soon as you turn your back on them…
      God, it’d be horrifying.

5. Brahms says:

Sometimes I look in the mirror and worry that I’m a sociopath. What if I am? How would I know?

• Ergates_Antius says:

To be boring and sensible: If you’re worried about it, you’re not a sociopath.

6. jinx_player says:

I’m just happy to be able to take pictures again, as lame as it sounds.

7. Khemm says:

Dead Rising 2 PC was THE most pleasant surprise of last year for me. I didn’t expect the game to be so fun, I still launch it from time to time, just to get relaxed fooling around in Fortune City.

Oozo says:

Same here. Never since Sumotori Dreams did I laugh so hard at a game while getting drunk. One of the great drinking games for PC, one might say.

8. Dominic White says:

I never understood the complaints of ‘Everything is forced on you! There’s no sandbox!’ in Dead Rising 2.

Sandbox mode is what happens automatically if you don’t do the first story mission. You still get to play the whole game length (a good 10 hours or so), but without anyone telling you what to do. Optional side-missions will pop up along the way, but you can ignore those, too.

Yes, you can even let the little girl die. The game doesn’t care. Unlike 99% of games, there’s no ‘game over’ criteria in failing story missions.

• V. Profane says:

It’s not a true sandbox though because you have frequent loading screens between areas, and once you leave an area everything gets reset.

• Dominic White says:

I’ve never heard ‘No loading screens, no respawning’ described as a prerequisite for sandbox gameplay before.

Hodge says:

Indeed, in GTA IV all you have to do is walk around the block to make the game re-populate an area with freshly spawned people.

• stupid_mcgee says:

@ V. Profane: I think you’re talking about occlusion culling? More specifically, portal rendering? Like in Oblivion and GTA4?

While that is a common misconception, sandbox gameplay can certainly have loaded transitions. Sims 2 is very much a sandbox game, yet it has loads for transitions.

“The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being “no right way” of playing the game.” Wikipedia

9. Gnoupi says:

Great, now I’ll have this in my head until the end of the day:

Thanks, so.

10. Mr_Initials says:

You know what this game needs? A giant robotic crab.
    and a chainsword.
    and a tutu from swan lake.

11. Scandalon says:

I declare this game to be morally frankrupt.

12. RegisteredUser says:

Now they just have to make the deterioration of weapons a slider in the options, from normal crappy break duration to never breaks and I’m happy.