In Need Of Management Now: Football

By Alec Meer on October 6th, 2011 at 5:38 pm.

What ungentlemanly, even brutish attire

Emergency! Emergency! A demonstration version of Foot-To-Ball Manager 2012 has inserted itself into one the tubes of the internet, and needs you to remove it then safely store it upon your own personal computer. If you are bold and daring enough to attempt to resolve this crisis, I beseech you to point your browser device here forthwith and then take any steps necessary to download approximately two gigabytes of English-made data. Then we will all be safe. And you can play half a season putting the feet of one or all of England, Australia, Scotland, France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Denmark and Sweden onto a ball.

God speed. You are our only hope.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. andycheese says:

Football, the artist formerly know as ‘Champ’, Manager took up a sizable chunk of my youth. Many long antisocial evenings, and consequent mornings, were spent in thrall to that little piece of software. I have to say though, recent renditions have been increasingly disappointing. The simplicity of the original interface has been replaced by ever more redundant features and ever more complexity. This being the case, for the first time in a terrible long count of years, I wont be buying it!!

2. Meneth says:

‘This item is currently unavailable in your region’
    I guess that’s what I get for not being British.

3. Stardog says:

@andycheese

That’s why I normally buy it every 2 or 3 years.

4. ReV_VAdAUL says:

In association with Sky Sports HD? I look forward to the phone hacking minigame.

5. fallingmagpie says:

That’s some nonsensical spam, right there.

I think FM has got better every year, to be honest. Played FM11 to death. Will wait and see what’s new this time around.

6. andycheese says:

@Stardog I was willing to pay the annual ‘FM tax’ this far because I thought it was worthwhile subsidizing development, but its no longer the game I remember. Then again, I might just be getting a bit crabbit with old age… bring back the 2-3-5 formation I say!!

7. Javier-de-Ass says:

steam only and region locked. well done sega

8. Inglourious Badger says:

Oh no, no, no. I’m not falling for this trick again! ‘Just a demonstration’ you say, and then next thing I know I’m £30 down and 200+ hours of 2012 have gone according to Steam stats.

Please, if anyone sees me commenting at any point in a way that suggests I have bought this game please come round and shoot me.

9. aircool says:

Hmm, since Wolves actually made it to the Premiership and somehow managed to stay there, I haven’t felt the need to play FM since I first bought CM2 way back when.

10. Inigo says:

2GB of what? Don’t tell me that’s just raw football data taking up all that space.

11. Gamer-DealZ says:

Yeah. And as always the good manager is not available for German people. We just have the not so great FIFA Manager from EA (that stil steals many hours :( )

Workaround: Green Man Gaming and then activate on Steam. Or buy a Sega complete package at some future point at Steam. That is how I got mine.

12. Om says:

The Good: Coverage of a major PC game on RPS

The Bad: Having to put up with this silly cod-Victorian prose every time FM is covered. At this stage it almost comes across as insulting

13. mpk says:

Bah, reply fail.

Anyway: 2gb of demo? I remember when Champ came on two floppy disks.

• Llewyn says:

I don’t remember it ever coming on two floppies… My 93/94 was on a single floppy and CM2 was a CD to accommodate the wonderful commentary. “Free kick to Swindon Town”

I think I’ve cracked it. Finally achieved the appropriate level of RPS pedantry!

14. Big Murray says:

I’m going to throw something out there …

There hasn’t been a good football game on the PC since Sensible Soccer.

And I think that’s because ever since the days of Sensi, football games are simply obsessed with realism over fun.

15. Shadram says:

Wow, this post almost made a football game sound exciting!
    I’m not downloading it, though, because you can’t play as New Zealand. Go the All Whites! And the All Blacks on Sunday!

16. Pijama says:

Ohdearohdearohdear

After I discovered that Fulham is the PERFECT Premier League team, this might be trouble.

• rhizo says:

As a long time Fulham fan I have to agree, but at the same time be a bit puzzled by how you actually got to that conclusion :).

17. Squishpoke says:

Silly Europeans!

The ball is supposed to pointed on both sides!

• Llewyn says:

Sadly* Rugby World Cup 2011 isn’t getting a PC port.

*Or possibly thankfully. I have no idea whether it’s any good.

• ankh says:

It’s extremely bad. I got the demo on xbox. Also, Springboks ftw.

• Megadyptes says:

Silly Europeans, Africans, South/Central Americans and large parts of Asia you mean. Oh and Australasian bits as well.

• ohnoabear says:

Rugby World Cup 2011 is basically Rugby 06 (for the original Xbox and PS2) with a new graphics engine and minor gameplay changes, which is disappointing, as there was plenty of room for improvement in Rugby 06.

The PC is getting the new version of Rugby Challenge, however, which is supposed to be the superior series (http://store.steampowered.com/app/20840/?snr=1_4_4__13). I haven’t played it, but I’m looking forward to trying it out.

18. kennycrown says:

19. c-Row says:

I miss the good old times when football manager games looked like games rather than work. The whole genre suffers from over-seriousness these days.

20. Gothnak says:

I don’t need 100 stats, 10 will do, i don’t need 100 formations, 10 will do. I don’t need an in game engine, stats and text will do.

What i DO need though, is if i am an idiot (which i clearly am) for my assisstant manager to explain why i lost 3-1 or why i won 2-0..

Did i win because my winger continually outpaced their fullback and delivered pinpoint crosses to my target man?

Did the same tactic lose because the next team had an even faster full back or my target man was out muscled in the box.

I have NO FECKING IDEA. So, sometimes my tactics win, sometimes they lose, i lose interest and i don’t buy a football management game since 2009…

When having the best stats usually meant you won, it was great, when you have to put together about 700 stats in a team to work out the perfect tactic and you don’t know what you did wrong, i’ll pass…

Hrmpf, maybe i should make my own, i have an F1 management game half written, that will tell you exactly why you lost, then it’s up to you to rectify all the problems.. That’s the majority of being a manager if you ask me.

• DiamondDog says:

Sounds like you actually need to watch the matches, rather than just wishing it was text. And I don’t mean that in a nasty way. Watching a game with extended highlights tells you so much about where your tactic does and doesn’t work. Also, the assistant manager does give you feedback on the matches.

There are a lot of variables in real football and FM tries as much as possible to be a simulation. Having a football management game where the best stats and one quick tactic win you ever single match would be stupid and boring. Being a manager of a real club clearly involves a lot more than just working out why you won or lost a match.

• Big Murray says:

Sadly, I agree with you. Not being able to tell just what the hell is going on and how to fix it is what makes Football Manager a boring experience for me. I feel as if I may as well put a monkey in control of the keyboard.

And the game and its fans don’t help one iota. The most I’ve got out of the community in regards to learning what to do to react to something not working is “go watch real football matches more, you’ll pick it up”. Cheers, FM community.

21. Megadyptes says:

I see a Bristol Rovers logo in that screenshot! Blue Army! Blue Army! Blue Army!

Comment on this story