Minecraft 1.9 Pre-Released, Again

By Jim Rossignol on October 6th, 2011 at 4:29 pm.

Minecraft's new baby horse animal.
For a while there I thought I was living the month backwards, but actually Mojang have released a third iteration of the 1.9 pre-release of Minecraft, which you can get HERE, should you care to. It contains an enchantment table, baby animals that grow up into big animals, and some other crafting-related rubbish. Meanwhile I have been playing Minecraft again! I should probably write about it in a continuation of the late Quinns’ Mine The Gap, only I would call it Mined The Gap, which seems like the correct variant spelling for that particular series pun name.

Anyway, having played it for a while, I think that Minecraft needs bees. And I also think that NPCs should occasionally capture you and make you be Nic Cage in The Wicker Man, the Best Bits of which you can see below in a YouTube video I have posted because a) it is irrelevant to this news article, and b) I will never get tired of pretending it’s the actual trailer for the film. Hooray!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Berzee says:

baby bees that grow up into big bees

2. hoobajoo says:

JOURNALISM!

Never change, Jim.

3. Fwiffo says:

Mojang have totally lost the plot. They haven’t done a good update since Beta 1.3. They’re too busy pandering to the Xbox and Xperia play consumers and have left us PC gamers to ROT.

You think this new enchantment table and baby animal tech is the future of Minecraft? This is all just a repeat of 1.5 where they dazzle you with new fancy techwords then leave you to struggle with a buggy product.

And does this still run on ATI? Probably.

But some time in the future IT MIGHT NOT.

PC GAMING IS DEAD.

• Kelron says:

For too long, Mojang have failed to deliver on their promises of bees. This will not stand.

• Aymes says:

How dare you! I should have left you on Pluto, fwiffo!

• caddyB says:

At this point modding community in PC is doing really well. If you don’t like Mojang’s updates you might as well try out some mods.

There are some real gems.

• Fiatil says:

I would laugh if this weren’t seriously the entire first page of topics on the 1.9 update discussion on the minecraft forums every single day.

• Temple says:

*ahem*
      You mean the Beeta of 1.3?

I cannot tell you how excited I was to see no one had done that yet and logged in like a madman.

• povu says:

The fact that enchanting is going to cost experience points, and experience points are still not used for anything else, like, I don’t know, LEVELING UP, makes it kinda obvious that Mojang doesn’t have a clue of what they want to do with the system.

• Fwiffo says:

Bloody hell, I wasn’t be serious chaps. It was supposed to be a joke about the people complaining RAGE is the death of id and PC gaming.

And now I’ve had to explain in.

I hate you, internet.

• Nathan_G says:

I picked up on and sincerely appreciated your satire dude.

4. Groove says:

Maybe I’m just an idiot, but what do I do with these files now they’re downloaded?

Confused ;_;

• MikoSquiz says:

Stick ‘em in somewhere like /Apps/.minecraft/ if you’re on Windows, replacing (but ideally making a backup copy of, first) the ones that are already in there. Search for the folder if you can’t find it, do note the full stop in front of “minecraft”.

• OptionalJoystick says:

- Find your Minecraft folder. On recent Windows versions, it’s in %appdata%\.minecraft. On other platforms, I’m sure the Minecraft Wiki could help, if its wasn’t down.
      - Make backups of your saves.
      - Copy the downloaded minecraft.bin file in to the \bin folder. You can either rename the original as a backup, or use Options, Force Update from the Minecraft launcher to re-download 1.8.

• Groove says:

It’s all installed now, thanks for getting me started.

I had the dual problems of my new pc hiding the relevant files, and hiding the ability to change a file type.

5. GoodPatton says:

I like pretending that The Wicker Man is actually just a ‘day in the life of’ Nick Cage documentary.

6. Berzee says:

When you wrote this, were you aware of the beekeeping mod?

(Neither was I).

7. DickSocrates says:

Call it ‘Craft the Gap’.

I wish one of the updates would change all the horrendous graphics. They aren’t cute or retro, like people try to pretend to themselves, they’re bloody awful and depressing. 2D pixel art is fine, it has style. A recreation of the early, incredibly ugly, days of 3D is just that: incredibly ugly.

8. Kaira- says:

I wonder, am I the only one who has trouble with Minecraft running out of memory since the 1.8.x-updates? Tried playing the other day Creative Mode, and it run twice out of memory in half an hour.

9. MikoSquiz says:

Good lord, Mojang. Why can’t you just update main build?!

Or at least stick an “upgrade to latest release candidate” button in the launcher.

10. inertia says:

I try to ‘block’ the Nic Cage remake of The Wicker Man out of my memory, and now you’ve gone and brought it back.

11. Pointless Puppies says:

This is strange. Despite the game having significantly more features than it did a year ago, I can’t help but prefer the game as it was last year. It’s just that today I can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a half-done, buggy feature. Last year it used to be more bare bones, but at least what was already there was more or less done (well, except for multiplayer <_<)

12. fearghaill says:

FOR ANYONE HAVING MEMORY ISSUES (that wasn’t before 1.8):

The issue is almost certainly that you are on a 64-bit OS (likely Windows 7) with a 32-bit version of Java installed.

go here:

13. Unaco says:

That… That… That isn’t “The Wicker Man”. What’s going on?

14. Teddy Leach says:

Now I just wish I didn’t need Optifine to play it without lag spikes. Oh yeah, and actual furniture.

Furniture made of bees!

15. Teddy Leach says:

Oh. Well something went wrong. Ignore this!

16. oatmeal says:

I wish they would add ambiance to the game, like birds, wind, trees creaking, etc.

Games like this are such a hassle after updates. You have do go to forums and wikis to understand how things work — just like in WoW. And I wonder how crafting will work in the future, because think about it: there is no way to know the recipes without checking online. It makes no sense.

17. Shooop says:

The 2006 Wicker Man movie eh?

I hear in Afghanistan it’s been the number one romantic comedy four years straight.

18. Grey_Ghost says:

You made me remember “The Wicker Man”, and for that I will dislike you for an uncertain period of time. Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go look at random pictures of animals being cute.

19. Fiatil says:

I’m actually really excited for the code freeze in a couple of weeks. People will finally be able to update their mods without the version switching every other day. I’m in a terrible position of liking all of the additions in 1.9 too much to go back to 1.8.1, but being unable to use any of these fantastic mods as a result.

20. Radiant says:

I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT I’M SUPPOSED TO DO IN THIS GAME.

I dug myself a nice two floor beach house then someone blew the fucking doors off it and that was that. I’ve already seen Lost and that had more people in it.

I’m sure I’m doing it wrong. But what am I supposed to be doing?!

21. cpy says:

I just play Technic Pack 3.1 and waiting for 1.8.1 update, best MC mod ever, i don’t even care about updates for vanilla MC, this TC3.1 pack is already good as MC patch 4.0 or better.

22. Ralphomon says:

I LOVE BEES

I loved it when they introduced bees to Dwarf Fortress. This may swing me into playing Minecraft again.

23. Shadowcat says:

Minecraft’s new baby horse animal.

I’ve nicknamed it Mr T, because I pity the foal.

Comment on this story