Next Spring, Winter Comes To King’s Bounty

By Adam Smith on October 6th, 2011 at 5:25 pm.

please let it be as silly as i expect it to be
When people decide to give their games massive names, do they not realise how difficult it is for me to make puns about them? There’s no way I can fit Kings Bounty: Warriors Of The North and any kind of wordplay onto a single line, it simply cannot be done. I should be consulted in naming committees. Henceforth, I’m going to refer to this next in the commendably daft RPG-strategy series as King’s Bounty: Northlands, or KB: Nordic Edition. That’s what it seems to be anyway, with a new hero called Olaf who is the son of the “Northling King”. I’m guessing it’s another expansion-type thing rather than a full sequel, but there will be all new locations, units and skills, as well as valkyrie companions who are described as “gorgeous”. Perhaps that’s one of them in the screenshot above. Gorgeous, is she? You decide. It’s out Spring 2012.

, , , .

1. acidtestportfolio says:

calling it already: game of the year 2012

• bluebomberman says:

Not if it doesn’t have some way to deal with creature recruiting. King’s Bounty is rotting on my hard drive because I got frustrated with having to span the known world to pick up one creature at one corner of the map to fight a battle at the opposite corner of another map.

• Melliflue says:

@bluebomberman
      Armored Princess improved that a bit, it had less backtracking in my experience because of the islands.

I still ended up dropping my army in a castle and buying up new stacks of the same units so that I would only need to visit that one castle to re-fill my ranks. If there is one particular unit that you want to keep filled then you can keep spares in a reserve slot. In Armored Princess you have two reserve slots by default.

• Premium User Badge Hodge says:

How about this: once you’ve completely cleared an area of enemy mobs, you should be able to transfer any remaining recruitable armies to one of your castles, provided it has the free space to house them. Cuts down on the backtracking, but is still balanced enough to not be an I-Win button.

A nice overall map showing where there’s still spare troops left wouldn’t go astray, either.

• Soon says:

I didn’t find it too bad. But a mechanic that eases it up would be most welcome, a different one per class. A wizard could have some sort of cloning spell (possibly a bit too powerful). A Paladin could call animals from the wild. A knight could…set up a recruitment tent, or something? All upgradeable to allow for higher level creatures.

There are some ways around it with certain spell combinations, iirc. Sacrifice on a high level creature so it won’t die, and give the health to weaker units and the unit number could increase past the initial quantity, I think. And such.

• Hanban says:

I have to agree with bluebomberman. At the heart the battles are enjoyable, but the game got tedious really quickly due to the recruitment mechanics and all the running around trying to find that place which is at your level. I can sort of see the charm about it, but I can’t help but feel there was a better solution to deal with the scaling.

Hence King’s Bounty Armored Princess is sitting in my steam library collecting digital dust.

2. patricio says:

Hmm. Stop warrioring – northing should stop you making bountiful puns about long titles. Perhaps you’re right.

• Premium User Badge Richard Beer says:

Or you could just go with something like “Kings Bounty: WON to watch” etc etc

3. Drake Sigar says:

I’ve burnt myself out with that series. It was fun while it lasted, but I can’t even look at a King’s Bounty game without wincing now.

4. Casimir Effect says:

How about – King’s Mountie: Warriors of the North.

Because Canada is in the north and the Mounties are their police which are like warriors and oh I give up.

5. Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I picked up King’s Bounty in an Amazon sale after not understanding what all the hype was about. I enjoyed Heroes of Might and Magic, but could King’s Bounty really be that much different/better?

King’s Bounty was a revelation. This is my biggest compliment for a game: It knows how to make you have fun, and by ‘eck you have fun, even as you scheme and stat-tweak and obsess over how to extract maximum utility from your army.

6. coldvvvave says:

I thought they were doing a MMO.

7. Sarcophagus says:

Is this an expansion to the REAL King’s Bounty, or an expansion to the Facebook abomination?

8. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

Oh look, another KB release that will eat up 40 or 50 hours of my spare time.

My gf will be so pleased.

9. Tim James says:

“When people decide to give their games massive names, do they not realise how difficult it is for me to make puns about them?”

Everyone, we need to support developers like this. Please consider preordering.

10. Demiath says:

They’re milking it at this point (and have been for some time now), but I don’t even care. 150+ hours of King’s Bounty is simply not enough, GIVE ME MORE….

11. Randomer says:

Can someone explain what I’m missing about King’s Bounty? Thanks to RPS rave reviews, I picked up vanilla King’s Bounty a year or two ago on a steam sale, and played until the 2nd zone before I got tired and frustrated by it.

Things I liked: Quests, nice variety of enemies, interesting unit powers, attractive graphics
    Things I didn’t like: Horrible dialog and writing, the smattering of impossible enemies lying haphazardly around the map, unit-producing buildings that never seem to restock (at least, it seemed like they never restocked, but maybe I was just confused by the UI)

Out of everything, the atrocious writing irked me the most, and seemed contrary to what everyone on RPS was saying. This game just felt like a lower quality version of HoMM3 or HoMM5. I’m not trying to be snarky; I just honestly don’t get it. So can someone explain what I’m missing? Does it get better after the first act/stage or something?

• onodera says:

No, the writing doesn’t get better. It’s so bad it’s good, but only if you read it in Russian. I guess the naivete of programmers doing their best to write entertaining dialogues is lost in translation.
      All other things you’ve mentioned are features, the random placing and limited reinforcements are there to keep you on your toes. I guess it’s just not your game.

• Bullwinkle says:

You’re supposed to avoid the impossible enemies until you’re strong enough to take them on. Taking even one point in (I think) Scouting gives you info as to how strong they are compared to you. You’ve got lots of time to come back and kill them, don’t worry.

Most of the units don’t restock (only in major castles, and only at specific points in the game). So you have to think about whether you want to use up those resources completely, use them in specific instances, or avoid using them at all. To me, that’s part of the fun, but YMMV.

Yes, the writing is terrible. To some extent that’s because of the translation, but I wasn’t taken with the weirdness like many other RPSers. It’s the exceptional combat I’m playing for, and considering that’s where you spend 99.9% of your time, I can click through the dialogs fine enough.

The combat does get better as you go along, because you keep getting access to more, better, and more diverse units. That’s where the meat of the fun of the game is. Give it a little longer, maybe. But if that combat itself doesn’t grab you, then there really isn’t anything here for you.

12. Premium User Badge Hodge says:

Another expandalone? They’re really stretching it, aren’t they? Like everyone else I’ll happily play it (and am looking forward to it) but still, four years on is surely time for a proper overhaul.

• Khemm says:

Kind of agree. We need a proper sequel! Not an overhaul, that would mean another FPS. You know it would.

13. Severian says:

Whether I pick this up will largely be determined by whether it possesses the zaniness of the original that so captured our hearts. More units, great, more locations, OK, a “sexy-babe-teenage-hardon” dragon substitute, uh sure, but ultimately, can they really expect this to hold our attention – for another 50 hours?

14. Javier-de-Ass says:

she is gorgeous http://games.1c.ru/images/news/7036.jpg :O

15. MythArcana says:

If Katauri is behind this product (and I had to click the link to find this out), then the quality will be there and it will be a great game. I only wish they would make a Space Rangers 3, though!

16. Namos says:

Well, I’m certainly happy for more King’s Bounty, but the copying from HoMM 5 is getting a bit noticeable. After cribbing the Orc rage mechanic in Crossworlds, they’re now bringing Rune Magic into it?
    Come to think of it, they also had retraining and favorite enemy (kind of)…
    What’s next? Elemental chaining?

17. Wolfox says:

Winter is coming.

I wonder if the game will have direwolves or something. ;-)

18. aircool says:

Damn, I keep forgetting I bought all these KB games on Steam for some bargain price. I haven’t played ‘em yet.

19. michaelar says:

The linked 1C page has MOW:Vietnam rather prominently as its background art. Clearly the missed opportunity here is “King’s Bounty: Vietnam”. If it’s good enough for Magicka, it’s good enough for KB.

20. Premium User Badge TheApologist says:

I loved the first one, but I for one did not like the islands in the last one. It broke up play and generally the ships are sucky.

21. Wetworks says:

I really enjoyed Armored Princess but it got really grindy towards the end. I felt I had to spend too much energy making sure my special units never died each battle which made it feel tedious instead of fun.

22. Bullwinkle says:

And here I thought we’d lost you forever to social gaming. Welcome home, Katauri.

• Vinraith says:

Seconded. I’d thought Katauri was completely lost to Facebook games and MMO’s, I’m pleased to see them still making something that’s worth playing.

• Frank says:

Katauri i’n't on the Facebook one; that’s Nival (of HOMM5 infamy) and KranX (to make it internet-able?).

The combat system in Legions is actually pretty good. The arenas are dull, but maybe they’ll add some variety before removing the “Beta.” The real problem is how grindy it becomes.

23. Eddy9000 says:

I loved KB, but everytime I booted it up it made the fans on my computer run at full blast and belch out heat I could feel from across the room. Boo.

24. turtle says:

Kings Bounty is fun although you must increase battle speed in options because battles are slow.

25. elpistolero says: