Rockstar Fan Q&A Points To No RDR

By Jim Rossignol on October 6th, 2011 at 8:03 am.

Noooo!
Answering the questions “But why no plans for Red Dead Redemption?” and “Has Rockstar abandoned the PC platform?”, Rockstar had this to say:

“We hope that with the announcement that L.A. Noire is coming to PC this fall, and the knowledge that our next big game Max Payne 3 will have a PC release (plus that we’ve released both Grand Theft Auto IV and the Episodes from Liberty City for PC), we can finally put to rest any misconceptions that we’ve ‘abandoned the PC platform’. We do know that, yes, there is just one title absent from our PC release plans – that game of course being Red Dead Redemption, and of course we’re well aware that some fans have been asking for it. All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms. To PC gamers, we hope that between the Grand Theft Auto titles, and the forthcoming L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3, you’ll have plenty of great Rockstar action to enjoy.”

I continue to find it baffling. RDR seems ideally suited to PC, and is a far better game than LA Noire. Oh well.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. c-Row says:

I’m glad I got an XBox 360 at home to enjoy whichever games are stuck on that platform and never make it to other systems. I still don’t see the point in not porting this to PC, though – it’s been over a year since its initial release, so a PC version surely wouldn’t cannibalize XBox sales…

• Sheng-ji says:

I’m at the point where there’s enough exclusives on the PS3 to make me want one of those too – Sigh, yet another generation of owning every console!

• sneetch says:

You should move your Xbox to where your PC and recliner chair is, that should solve that problem.

Personally I’ve played RDR and struggled to see it as being all that different to GTA in hats and on horses. Nice hats, mind you.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

In its mission structure it was very much GTA with horses and hats. But between them it was much more.

Exploring the wide landscape on my horse—going wherever I pleased, hunting cougars, being hunted by cougars, encountering bandits—felt satisfying, in the same way that trudging around the landscape in STALKER felt satisfying. A sense of being, and a strong sense of place.

• Big Murray says:

If it was any other developer other than Rockstar, I wouldn’t have to question for a second that by “cougars” you mean big cats.

• Bhazor says:

Not to start one of those arguments but as far as exclusives go Sony is well ahead this generation. Little Big Planet, MGS4, Infamous, Demon Soul’s (sic), Yakuza, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Valkyria Chronicles, Last Guardian, God of War. All class and all exclusive.
      Compared to say Halo which has to be the blandest shooter franchise to ever sell a squillion copies and the surprisingly wimpy Gears of War series. The only 360 exclusives I would recommend are Untold Odyssey, Banjo Kazooie and Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise. All very good games but between the two consoles I have to say the PS3 is better. Certainly if you’re looking to buy a console I’d recommend the PS3.

That pains me as I still hold Sony responsible for killing the Game Cube and thus Nintendo as a core developer. They also have the most annoying and often incomprehensible advertising campaigns. So yeah I love the console, respect the company really really fucking hate the PR team.

A $150 million ad campaign in action people. Whilst millions of people starve.
      One day we will need to justify PR as a species to some advanced alien culture.

• Electricleash says:

I tried RDR on my flatmates PS3, and our s**tty non HD tv, but frankly I hate controllers… every time I press a button a little voice inside my head is repeating:

I wish I could play this on my far superior PC,
      I wish I could play this on my far superior PC,
      I wish I could play this on my far superior PC,
      I wish I could play this on my far superior PC,
      I wish I could play this on my far superior PC……..

…then I get killed due to these wandering thoughts, or not being able to turn round fast enough, and the controller gets deposited in the nearest dry-wall!

• wazups2x says:

I don’t see the point of me ever buying a console. Sure, I might not get to play a few games but I already have a huge backlog of PC games. I never don’t have something to play.

• Chaz says:

@ Bhazor

I guess its all a matter of taste, as only one of those PS3 exclusives you mentioned has ever really had me interested, that being the Resistance series. There are a few others of course, but none of the ones that made your list. MGS, God of War, Little Big Planet etc just do not appeal to me. Likewise with your 360 recomendations they don’t appeal to me either. I do however like Halo, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Fable, Crackdown. If I had a PS3 I would probably also like Uncharted, Killzone and maybe Heavy Rain. So horses for courses. Your idea of what constitues the best line up of exclusives isn’t necessarily mine or everyone elses.

Of course one might say the PC has the best line up of exclusive titles.

2. UnravThreads says:

This just shows Rockstar haven’t got a clue about the PC. I think you can easily find more people who want RDR over L.A. Noire, and I personally feel it would be a much better selling title than L.A. Noire could ever be.

No-one is worried they’ve abandoned the PC, but I’m worried that they don’t have any idea what PC gamers want or need.

• GoodPatton says:

@frightlever: Yes! about Dark Souls! No! to everything else!

• thegooseking says:

I was thinking the other day about Square-Enix and Front Mission. The Front Mission main series consists of seven turn-based tactical RPGs, with four spin-offs, being a side-scrolling shooter, an RTS, an MMO-third-person-shooter, and a single-player third-person-shooter.

Why it’s only the rather lame third-person-shooters that made it to PC is somewhat bewildering. Do PC gamers suddenly not like turn-based tactical RPGs or RTSs?

So yeah, I think there is a problem with publishers not knowing what PC gamers want. Much as people love to blame the consoles for console ports being uninteresting, the truth is there are a lot of interesting games on consoles that never make it to PC.

• Mattressi says:

I have absolutely no interest in L.A. Noire or Max Payne 3 and had a passing interest in GTA back when it was controversial – however I’d absolutely love to play RDR. There are very few (decent) western games (especially open-world westerns) on the PC and RDR would have really filled a niche, while likely attracting other’s who aren’t particularly hanging out for that niche too.

It’s their choice though – they can release as many crappy adventure-detective games as they want on PC, but I shan’t be playing them.

• Khemm says:

Namco Bandai doesn’t publish PC games.
      Although… Witcher 2 was a recent exception, to be honest… and since it sold well, it would be nice of Japanese to give Dark Souls PC a try. I’ll start spamming Namco’s forums and twitter.

3. danimalkingdom says:

I must second that cry of despair. Now I’ll have to go round my friend’s house to play it on ps3. It’s a shame; I would rather have this on PC than all other rockstar games.

4. dorkus1218 says:

This is especially silly when you consider that RDR shares the same engine as GTAIV, and LA Noire doesn’t (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Advanced_Game_Engine) Wouldn’t you think that would make porting RDR a snap (and thus more “viable?”)

• c-Row says:

It’s probably more about marketing. Selling a game whose media coverage is still fresh from the press is probably a lot easier/cheaper.

• Llewyn says:

Given the almost universal hatred for the GTA IV conversion among PC fans, and the delightful feedback Rockstar must have received about it from many of them, is it really any surprise that they don’t want to convert another game based on the same engine?

• dorkus1218 says:

they’ve already got a head start on the rage engine at least. i’ll be stunned if they don’t botch LA Noire pretty badly – isn’t everyone screwing up their pc games at launch these days? (lets hope they at least keep GFWL off it.) @c-Row: i’m sure it is a marketing/profitability thing, so let’s say they should’ve ported it closer to the console version launch when it was flying off the shelves.

• Maldomel says:

@Llewyn: Or maybe they could do a proper PC port where the game actually works instead of doing a crappy job like GTA IV?

They deserve negative feedback for what they did with it, considering you can’t play the base game without mods and patches.

5. Pod42 says:

Such a shame, I tried playing this on the PS3, when you first do the gun tutorial I couldn’t even shoot the rabbits with the controller :(

• cairbre says:

Yeah I think the aiming would be much better with mouse and Keyboard and the online stuff would be better too. I really dont understand their position at all. Yes we know lots of you will buy our game (hell I would even buy it again) but you cant have it.

• db1331 says:

You couldn’t shoot the rabbits? All you have to do is be facing their general direction and the game will auto-lock onto them when you draw your weapon.

I was thinking about this in a previous RDR conversation, and I wonder if one of the reasons we haven’t seen it on PC yet is that being able to aim with the mouse would pretty much undermine the entire shooting mechanic of the game. If you were using a mouse, the whole dead eye mechanic would be absolutely useless. In the time it took for me to slow down time and mark 6 targets, I could have already blasted them all to hell. That’s why I had to stop playing GTA IV and Just Cause 2 with my mouse and use a 360 controller, because the speed and accuracy of the mouse completely trivialized the combat. If there were a mission in GTA IV designed to have you chase a guy through a building and out to the parking lot, then engage in a car chase, the moment I hit the back door, I could pull out my pistol and put one round through the back window of the car into the guys head, completely nullifying the second part of the mission.

6. outoffeelinsobad says:

“So leave us alone to snort our gold-spliced cocaine.”

7. Papageno says:

It’s utterly baffling that they won’t port RDR to the PC. Makes no sense at all.

8. Paul says:

I already finished RDR on PS3 – stellar game, although part in Mexico was incredibadly boring. I have not played LA Noire, so I am glad it is getting PC release, at least.
    Though it would be amazing to be able to ride a horse through those vistas in 1080p with glorious 60 fps…PS3 was quite a bit struggling with RDR.

9. DarkNoghri says:

This seems applicable here:

10. Lars Westergren says:

>”course we’re well aware that some fans have been asking for it”

“Some” fans? I’d say it’s the most requested game for the PC in all forums I’ve seen. Possibly only beaten by Uncharted.

(Oh all right, probably Halo and Gears of Wars series beat them by a wide margin, but I like to pretend people liking those games don’t count. Too mainstream, see /hipster ;-)

• UnravThreads says:

But the thing with Halo and Gears of War isn’t that they’re mainstream, it’s that Microsoft have started those series on the PC and then promptly buggered off, leaving us with incomplete series. Same goes for Fable. Our version of Fable 3 has a fixed beginning (And possibly other fixed things) because Microsoft never gave us Fable 2.

• coldvvvave says:

@UnravThreads

>But the thing with Halo and Gears of War isn’t that they’re mainstream, it’s that Microsoft have started those series on the PC

Um… Halo was supposed to be a Mac exclusive when it’s development started, than Microsoft bought it and made it an X-box game and AFAIK Gears of War didn’t sell enough to justify porting GoW2 from X-box as it was a console-first game like Mass Effect.

• TeraTelnet says:

@coldvwave: I think he’s saying that Microsoft commenced porting the series to the PC but then stopped porting sequels, not that the series began life on the PC.

• thegooseking says:

I played Fable 3 on Xbox 360 and saw no evidence that it was affected by my Fable 2 playthrough. Given that this is Lionhead we’re talking about, are you sure that wasn’t a feature that was supposed to be in the game but never made it?

11. coldvvvave says:

I played RDR on PS3 and honestly, found it boring as hell. Open world doesn’t really work for me if it’s that empty, at first it seems that there are a lot of things to do but most of it is pointless and boring. Shooting was fun though, even with a break-yo-fingers PS3 joystick, but there wasn’t enough of it and I didn’t enjoy all the horseriding and chases. And thats why I’m excited about Max Payne 3 coming out on PC. It looks like RDR without boring, without pseudo-openworld and with mouse+wasd.

12. Kleppy says:

Translation: Microsoft and Sony paid us like 4 zillion moneys to keep the game console only, sucks to be you

• thegooseking says:

To think that Microsoft and Sony would make a deal with Rockstar to keep the game off the PC but not have any problem with the game being released on each other’s respective consoles… Yeah, that just doesn’t happen. Either it’s platform-exclusive, which may (or may not, but I’d guess usually does) involve some deal with the platform holder, or it’s multiplatform, and the choice of which platforms to deploy to is between the developer and the publisher. There’s no in-between.

13. Brahms says:

RDR seems interesting. I have a loaned xbox but only an old, standard def CRT TV that makes pretty much all games look rubbish so I’m reluctant to play it on that. Thinking of RDR always reminds me of this lesbian I was friends with who used to play it. She manipulated me into hurting her ex, who was my best friend, then never spoke to me again. I only worked it out years later. Whenever someone mentions RDR I think of her. I think she’s getting married now, or civil unioned I suppose.

14. Perkelnik says:

Oh well, I guess we cant have everything. Im just glad they made the Episodes from LC for PC, coz Lost and Damned is one of the best stories a game has ever told (at least for me).

15. Prime says:

“All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms”

So we can expect to see something released for PC but not on console, then? No, didn’t think so.

16. Alexander Norris says:

The fact that they’re proudly touting that Max Payne – Max Payne! – will have a PC port makes me very sad. :(

• yourgrandma says:

There is not a single big name developer left that takes pc into consideration first when they are developing their game. Not even valve does it anymore. The absolute first priority is to make sure that the game will run great on consoles and then piece together the pc version last.

This is another case were a developer doesn’t even think it’s worth it anymore to make a pc version of their game. Has development really gotten that difficult for pc? Or are the sales really that awful?

• skinlo says:

Not sure about the Valve bit. Have any evidence?

• Alexander Norris says:

Wrong questions – it’s not about sales or development difficulty; it’s purely about control. Consoles are a closed platform. The PC is not. A decade ago, £13 for five maps would have gotten you laughed off the stage. :(

• vecordae says:

Not sure about the Valve bit. Have any evidence?

No, but I do have very strong opinion, which is largely the same thing.

17. Hunam says:

I’m really not sure why people think this is a business or anti PC issue, when it’s more than likely that the game was programmed in a very hackish way that basically means they’d have to go back and almost re-write the entire game code to get it working on PC, it did have a very troubled development (which is another reason why it’s so impressive that it ended up being great) and the console versions had a lot of issues too. I wouldn’t be surprised if the big investment in the multiplayer backend was also a factor.

To be honest, the statements by by R* about this is quite telling, it seems like they actually tried and failed and are now just asking for forgiveness.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

This is almost certainly the case – Rockstar San Diego are a terrible studio and it’s absolutely baffling they managed to put out a good game in the first place, the real surprise is that the LA Noire code is most likely in even worse shape and with even less marketability.

• LionsPhil says:

Another possibility is use of third-party libraries which either have no PC version, or which they have no willingness to pay licensing for the PC version of.

I believe that’s what ended up killing the Linux port of UT3, for example, even though Ryan Gordon apparently did all the work to make it run.

• Iskariot says:

@Hunam & LionsPhil

These are the first explanations I have heard that sound very reasonable and very likely.

There is no way I can accept that Rockstar did not really want to bring a blockbuster game like RDR to PC, because it would have been a guaranteed mega hit. So there must be technical reasons that prevented them from doing this.

• InternetBatman says:

That does seem like it would be the only real reason. Rockstar loves making shoddy ports of their game and releasing them over and over. I was looking forward to picking this up for $10 at Target in three years.

18. Burning Man says:

NO! NOW GIVE ME RDR OR I WILL TAUNT YOU A SECOND TIME-UH!!

*smack lips*

19. aircool says:

Why would we want a crappy game like LA Noire when RDR is soooo good. It’s one of the few games I bothered to get for my DVD player, er, I mean, my PS3.

20. Khemm says:

RDR is a game I don’t know what to think about – while many praise it for the wonderfully realized setting, others describe it as “boring” – when it comes to missions and the world which barely lets you do anything in it.

Concerning the PC version, I think the lack of it is a direct result of three things:
    - R* San Diego’s games hardly ever made it to the PC in the past
    - the game had a very problematic development and the management didn’t believe it would sell, in fact, many believed a game set in the Wild West was destined to flop
    - R* had its “spare teams” busy with other tasks (PC versions of Max Payne 3 and LA Noire)

Here’s hoping the inevitable sequel to RDR actually gets a PC release.

• Auspex says:

Is that true than many people though a Western game wouldn’t sell? I thought that was just the standard Pachter bullshit.

• Khemm says:

I remember reading analysts’ “predictions” before RDR launched… To be honest, many Wild West game did flop in the past, so you can’t blame them.

• LionsPhil says:

Call of Juarez flopped? Desperados?

• Khemm says:

I said “many”, not “all”, and those that did not flop weren’t spectacular successes either. Also, neither WW game before cost as much to make as RDR – that’s also a factor, they had to sell A LOT of copies to break even!
      As for “flops”, LucasArts’ Outlaws for example didn’t do as well sales-wise as the company had hoped.

21. RegisteredUser says:

This is why I don’t like you, “Rockstar”.

Personally I think the “business-wise” part is likely the biggest factor here.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Economic realities: it costs millions to make AAA games, busines-wise is important, otherwise companies fold and people get sacked etc.

How is this hard to understand?

22. Ninja Dodo says:

I have this on PS3 but I would buy it again if they put it on PC just to marvel at the landscapes, only with more pixels. Amazing game.

23. WJonathan says:

I’m not reading this as “no” as much as “not now.”

• Kadayi says:

^This

R* have the RDR GOTY edition coming out on the PS3 & 360 later this month. There’s no way they’d commit to ‘PC version coming soon’ until that version has done the console rounds (otherwise people would hold out).

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a PC release announcement early next year. There’s money to be made and right now no ones really turning their noses up at opportunity. They might well be waiting to see how well LA Noire does before committing though.

• Khemm says:

I don’t think we should delude ourselves, why would they want to release RDR PC so long after its console debut?

• Kadayi says:

@Khemm

Because their owner Take 2 (and take 2 shareholders) might like the money given there’s a likely audience for it (Porting is something R* Leeds could do), especially given the talk is Bobby Kotick has been eyeing them for some time with a view to acquisition and the expansion of Activisions IPs.

24. MadTinkerer says:

Okay, considering what a disaster the GTA4 port was (though I hear it’s finally fixed now) and if RDR is based on the same engine, I would guess that technical issues are the biggest hurdle here.

It’s not like they can just grab the GTA4 port and put the RDR assets in it: I have no doubt the version of the engine RDR is running on is plenty different to GTA. Thus, they’d have to run it through the same process as before, expecting at least twice as many headaches to begin with, and probably end up releasing with a ton they missed despite their efforts. So basically the time and effort and rage of the fans, again, wouldn’t be worth the effort.

I totally sympathize on those grounds.

Hopefully they’ll design the next engine with PC compatibility in mind.

• Pointless Puppies says:

I doubt they’ll be losing sleep over not porting games properly to the PC now or in the future.

To many developers, Rockstar included, the PC platform is an afterthought. It’s only there if they want to double dip on revenue with the same game, but as far as actually putting EFFORT into the PC it ain’t happening with them. After all, Rockstar has had a long history of shitty PC ports.

25. deadstoned says:

Rockstar I wouldn’t buy LA Noire for £39.99, but I would have bought Red Dead Redemption for that price. Red Dead Redemption shared GOTY pretty much with Mass Effect 2 in 2010, LA Noire has just been a technical achievment, its not been genre defining like Red Dead Redemption.

26. Iskariot says:

*Sigh*

At least give us GTA 5 sometime next year.
    Please?

27. Andrea_23 says:

I’m really…. disappointed.

Damn r* : (.

28. bluebogle says:

Of all of Rockstar’s games, this is the one I (and I get the sense most PC gamers) want most on the PC. Even as a long time LA resident and fan of the city, I just don’t care about LA Noire the same way I do about this one. Maybe I just like cowboys..

29. Ultra-Humanite says:

This sucks.

30. Pointless Puppies says:

Meh, RDR is a lost cause for me. I can guarantee that if R* ever ports it to the PC it’ll be an unplayable, ugly looking and poorly optimized game just like GTA IV was. And at the same time, despite me wanting to play RDR very much, I never enjoy shooting mechanics on controllers nearly as much as I do with a mouse.

Either way the experience will be gimped for me. I’d love to play the game but neither venue seems viable (and one doesn’t even exist).

31. MythArcana says:

Rockstar got too big for their pants by dumping the PC platform. Now let’s see if they can garner our attention once again after The Big Snub.

32. yourgrandma says:

I’m playing portal 2 right now and there is a loading screen every time i enter a new room. I believe if it had been developed with the pc in mind first there would have been a lot less loading. Also, I have yet to run into one twitched based puzzle like in portal 1. Even though portal 1 was for consoles it was ported over later while portal 2 was codeveloped so there isn’t any puzzles that require aiming…

Comment on this story