Hyperbiff: Prototype 2’s Combat Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on October 8th, 2011 at 10:00 am.

Swordarm of unwieldiness +5.
There was no doubt, of course, that Prototype 2 would be violent to the point of grotesque silliness, and the “Art Of Combat” trailer below, in which a number of the devs talk through their choices for the design of Prototype 2’s various super-powered combat moves, proves that. I’ve posted it below, and in it you can see a range of ways in which people are turned into red dust by a cross between a pro-wrestler, an alien, and a flying spaghetti monster.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Walter Heisenberg says:

That’s a whole lotta bloom!

2. nubbuka says:

Dracula would have been so happy in this game.

Fede says:

The alt-text is made of win :)

4. Pemptus says:

Sooo… He said you can either take advantage of the tactical options or just mash buttanz, and win either way. Doesn’t that basically mean “anyone can play it, it’s super easy”?

5. Dominic White says:

I really hope they took some of the cooler elements from Hulk: Ultimate Destuction (the studios game before Prototype) this time round. Prototypes enemies came in two flavours, really – humanoids that died in one hit, and damage-sponges that weren’t particularly fun to fight.

Hulk had damage-sponge enemies, but they were amazingly fun to fight, as the fighting engine went into full superhero wrestling mode against them. Tackling a Hulkbuster mech off the roof of a skyscraper, punching it in the face on the way down, only for it to twist round in mid fall and get in a couple of punches at you and then throwing you into a distant building was fun.

Very few games with superpowers give you the feeling that you’re really trading punches with an enemy. I hope they have more of that this time round.

6. JustOneWay says:

They set dressed their interview space.
    What is the world coming to?

• BreadBitten says:

Obviously you haven’t been watching any of the developer diaries of any recent AAA games?

7. Drazilek says:

I only played the first game in part, mostly due to not being able to afford it back then and having to play it on a friends PC.

I will however, be getting the new one simply because what I did play of the first, was pretty damn fun. Can’t wait.

8. Brumisator says:

a game so badass they have to show footage in slo-mo for our puny brains to take it in.

9. BeamSplashX says:

I like how that guy motioned to the quiet fellow when he said “dismemberment system”. I know he was probably responsible for it, but I hope Dismemberment System is also his nickname/official position at the company.