Tripwire Release RO2 “State Of The Game”

By Jim Rossignol on October 8th, 2011 at 10:05 am.

Tripwire Interactive have released a large statement on the “the state of the game” for Red Orchestra 2, a statement which you can read in full below. It addresses both the commercial success of the game and the technical failures in the opening weeks. The company admit that: “To put it bluntly, the game had a rough launch. We’ve been working diligently since launch to get these issues sorted and have made great progress fixing issues with matchmaking, VOIP, and stability as well as improving performance.”

The company claim to have addressed most of the issues, and will now be doing a stats reset due to problems with how people were earning stats and achievements. Hopefully things will be smoother sailing from here. We’ve requested an interview with Tripwire to talk about some of these issues and future prospects for the game.

Red Orchestra 2 – The State of the Game
7 October 2011, Roswell, GA

By most business measures Red Orchestra 2 has been a smashing success for Tripwire Interactive. Within 2 days of the launch of the game it had surpassed the lifetime revenue of the original Red Orchestra that has been selling for over 5 years. The pre-sales and launch week sales of the game broke all company records, even beating out our hit game Killing Floor by a three-fold margin. But for all of this success we’ve not done as well as we would have liked in the most important area to us – the happiness of all of our customers. To put it bluntly, the game had a rough launch. We’ve been working diligently since launch to get these issues sorted and have made great progress fixing issues with matchmaking, VOIP, and stability as well as improving performance. The final major area that we’ve been working on is stats, player progression and ranking.

We have now fixed all of the major issues with the stats system and released an update yesterday to address these issues. Due to the problems with stats and players either earning stats and achievements that they didn’t actually earn or earning stats at many times the intended rate, we are going to have to do a global reset of all stats for the game. This means all achievements, stats and player progression will be rolled back as if all players were new. This was not an easy decision for us to make, but one we felt we needed to do to preserve the integrity of the stats and ranking system, and to provide all of the players the best experience with the game over the long term. Knowing that there are people that have been playing the game for a few weeks now and will lose the stats for that time we are going to provide a special bonus to all players. For the next few weeks all players will earn double experience in Red Orchestra 2. This means if a player plays the game during the double experience period they will quickly get their experience up to where they would have been had these issues never existed. Additionally, we are going to give those playing the game during the double experience period a special achievement called “In B4 Reset”. Right now this is just an achievement, but we’re going to be looking at ways to give special rewards to the players that have this achievement in the future.

Thank you to all of the players that have made Red Orchestra 2 a hit so far. We’ve got a lot of exciting things in store with free content coming for the game so stay tuned over the coming weeks for more news on that front!

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Echo Black says:

I’m still getting the no sound bug on map change and my accuracy ratios are all fucked up (reporting well over 100% for many guns). Other stats seem to be tracking correctly, but they’re STILL reporting fixes for kinks they haven’t ironed out properly.

EDIT: Also, just tested, SP achievements are still not working for me. I can’t get any of the training achievements, or the campaign mission ones.

2. Nemrod says:

I WANT MOAR MAPS!

Nah seriously, it’s cool they agree on the mess that was going on XD.
    Waiting for more :D

3. TimA says:

Good stuff, looking forward to the stats reset, I feel a bit silly running around as a level 99.

Admittedly the game has always worked pretty smoothly for me, but this is the most fun I’ve had in a multiplayer shooter for a very long time.

4. Bishop says:

My stats still don’t track because the crashes before one map can be finished.

5. pagad says:

Any word on the quality of the single-player campaign?

• Echo Black says:

Botmatches with a little historical exposition beforehand. Buggy, awkward botmatches at that. None of the elegance of Q3’s or UT’s SP ladder, for example.

• Zulthar says:

Q3 and UT had singleplayer?

• Jim Rossignol says:

The SP is irrelevant. Offline practice mode at best.

• Chucrute says:

The SP may be irrelevant. But it shouldn’t.

If they set out to make it, they should make it right. I strongly believe people still play a lot in single-player, for various reasons that are subject to another discussion, but having a half-assed single-player game with brain-dead bots only hurts the image the game. Even more for Red Orchestra 2, with it’s historical approach. I mean, playing Unreal Tournament 3 with bots is very entertaining, because when there’s no pretension to realism, having a dude marching straight to you guns blazing is normal, even desirable. In Red Orchestra 2, seeing bots do stupid bots wandering around like lobotomized people is annoying as hell, coupled with the lack of a good narrative, makes single-player an horrible experience.

• Srethron says:

I loved UT singleplayer. Still play it sometimes.

• sinister agent says:

I played UT almost exclusively single player. No regrets.

• Inglourious Badger says:

Oh yeah! The original Unreal’s botmatches were what turned me to deathmatch. I remember playing them more than the game proper and thinking this is brilliant, they could make a whole game around deathmatch! EPIC should have hired me. At least…. if they hadn’t thought of Unreal Tournament without me, that is.

Anyway, yes I’m commenting on a 6 month old post. What of it! The Steam sale brought me here…. checking up if RO2 is worth an almighty £3.74.

6. hackl says:

Unfortunately, the patch didn’t fix the performance issues for me. I still get only 20-30fps with stuttering on a more than adequate PC. Moreover, when I was playing yesterday, it proved really hard to find populated servers, guess most of the playerbase didn’t have the patience to wait it through.

• DrGonzo says:

Couple of questions, what is an adequate pc? And where abouts do you live? I’m asking genuinely by the way. I love the game and would like to help you get it running. I myself haven’t had any issues finding servers, but I live in the UK.

As for performance its a but iffy. I’m running a quad @2.7ghz and a radeon 4850 with settings between high and ultra. Its running very smoothly for the most part, never dropping below 30fps. I tried it at low settings to start off with and it was running terribly, so I would recommend you crank the gfx up to see if it helps, even if it is illogical. You have to give it a few minutes after joining a server as it takes a while to ‘settle in’, allow longer for 64 player servers.

• hackl says:

Yes, you’re right, I should have written what I mean by “adequate”. I have an Intel Quadcore CPU @2.4GHz, a factory-overclocked GTX560 Ti and 4GB of RAM. I don’t expect constant 60fps with this setup, but when I bought it, I didn’t think that the game’s performance would give me trouble aiming.
      I also tried all settings from low to ultra, with no real improvements.

Regarding the servers, I live in East Germany. When the game launched, there were lots (~20?) of populated servers with reasonable pings. Yesterday, I found 5 servers that were not empty, with the one I joined with more bots than players.

• hackl says:

And yes, after launch, I also really enjoyed the game, despite the performance bugs and the other gripes. I still think that it has great potential, but there’s still a lot for the devs to sort out…

7. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Ok, I really really like this developer, good news after that crappy STALKER 2 announcement.

Take my money!

8. MrNice says:

How long untill everyone get the Mkb42 (assault rifle) again ?

• Kandon Arc says:

Given it’s a Steam pre-order bonus, my guess is not long.

9. Bweahns says:

There is still one massive problem with this game that doesn’t seem to get any attention. The ping times are terrible on any server with more than 12 people. I’m on a 500kb/sec adsl2 connection and I ping 25-40ms to servers on the east coast of Australia for other FPS games. For RO2 I ping 70-130 and it fluctuates wildly.

I’m chuffed all my other major complaints have been fixed but until I get a decent ping I’m just not playing the game.

• RF says:

512kb/s ADSL2+ line?

*psyduck posture*

Really, what the shit?

• Psychopomp says:

Welcome to America. This is the shit we deal with.

• Shortwave says:

That is pretty strange. I have a 1.2-1.5mbps connection in the middle of nowhere Northern Ontario and I can always find a 40ping server that is packed and running fine with 40-60 players. Maybe it’s a problem with your modem/router/firewall?

• Randomgerbil says:

That sounds like it may be a problem with the server itself. I’ve read stuff about hardware bottlenecking forcing ping up, even if net connection is fine.

• Bweahns says:

It’s everyone on the server who has the stupid pings. On servers with plenty of people everyone’s ping is over 100 and goes up to 150, it’s not just me. Like I said, for other FPS games on local servers I ping 25-40.

As for my adsl2+ speeds the best I ever had was near 1mb/sec when I lived up the road from an exchange in Sydney. I live out in the proverbial boonies now, I can sync at around 700kb/sec but the connection drops out all the time so around 500kb/sec it is.

10. JFS says:

I was so happy when I saw the 3.3 GB patch finish downloading on Steam. Afterwards, the game didn’t even start anymore. Tried some of the fixes on the offical forums, still crashes before it even starts. I usually don’t get angry over bugs and stuff, but I’m starting to lose my patience. I hope another patch comes out soon as possible.

11. Davee says:

It was a rough launch to say the least! So rough that I stopped playing for a while. But I jumped back in yesterday after the reset – the game already works much better for me (and no more hideously broken stats (for me))!

Give it a few more weeks and I think most remaining issues will be hammered out. And then there will be the free content packs! Tripwire is well known for good post-launch development and they’ve treated us well so far. I’m not worried. ;)

• Shortwave says:

Whenever I was getting right pissed off at the game failing I just remind myself of In Country Vietnam.
      Haha. But yea’ it runs really good for me.

12. Sigvatr says:

Why are there technical launch failures at all? Don’t people test games?

• Xocrates says:

All games have issues, all one can do is hope to find and fix the major ones before release.

• rayne117 says:

“Do not try to compare the “testing” abilities of thousands of people in thousands of different setups all over the world with the comparatively tiny amount of people doing in-house testing.”

The single biggest drawback of PC gaming.

13. robsk ii says:

At least they’ve been honest here, vaguely – and shown a lot better response than some of their staff did earlier.

i’ve not got the greatest machine, it’s probably 3-4 years old. yet even with an 8800GT I’ve found it to run acceptably well to enjoy it (plus I know I’m going to build another fairly soon anyway). I can understand the flack it’s had, though. It seems to strain machines for no good reason, given the archaic engine, and doesn’t look that great by modern standards. Teamplaying doesn’t happen a great deal in public servers, but that’s nothing new. It’s just a shame because it would really lend itself to it in a big way. it also feels a bit ‘clunky’ generally, but these things are all well documented and understandable in some ways given the nature of its origin. Clearly wasn’t tested enough, agreed, but it seems developers really struggle to release anything ‘finished’ these days. It’s niche enough to get by these, for me. In fact, the biggest issues I have with it are that there aren’t enough maps and I feel too many play quite similarly. My favourite map is Grain Elevator, as it feels there are much clearer objectives than on the others, and I like that.. Hopefully it’ll be supported well.

14. Shadrach says:

Performance-wise it’s really improved a lot for me over the last patches, getting 55-65 FPS almost all the time and sound is no longer choppy and clipped. This is on a couple years old rig too.

It still looks like stats are broken though, or people are hacking, which is really sad :(

15. wodin says:

Stats still not working properly apparently.

16. rapier17 says:

What amuses me is that now they reckon they’ve fixed most things and patched it, my server browser can’t find any games and the single-player won’t let me progress past picking a difficulty. Only way I can play games is to join with friends over Steam and thats tricky if the server is a full one – seems Steam takes a while to work out if there is a free spot or not.

17. Shortwave says:

For anyone having crash issues after this patch..
    Do a steam backup of the game, uninstall it.
    Reinstall it from the backup.

Should be much better now.
    Just my two cents.

• Jamison Dance says:

The shape of your words is beautiful.
      Like my face.
      The end.

18. Shooop says:

I like you Tripwire. I promise we’ll kill you last or second-last.

19. Zeewolf says:

I’m extremely fed up with the patches.

I bought the retail copy. It asked me to download 6 GB of patches. What. The. Hell?

Well, I did that (had to leave Steam on for two nights to do it), and the next day… it says I need to download a 3 GB patch. So I still haven’t been able to play the thing.

I’m going to stay away from Tripwire in the future.

• xian says:

Pretty sure that this is Steam’s doing.

• rayne117 says:

@guy above me Yeah, Steam is developing the patches for RO2 and uploading them, wait…

• Srethron says:

@guy above me: I think guy above you is implying Steam should be looking at the before and after of the Red Orchestra 2 3GB patch–which he is implying replaces all changed files with newer versions wholesale, then comparing the differences and creating a new (much smaller) patch out of that, which users then download from Steam, like the new Steam patch system is supposed to start doing.

What I don’t know is whether Red Orchestra 2’s patch system actually works that way, nor how Valve is actually patching the game. So big assumptions all around.

20. DOLBYdigital says:

Excellent Tripwire!!
    I’ve always appreciated your long life support of games and your focus on taking mods that rock and turning them into published games. I can’t wait to see RO2 get more content, hopefully you will keep major content updates free (more maps and game modes, please) :)

21. rayne117 says:

I just want to know where the Online Campaign mode is. It looked awesome: like a version of RISK. There’s a big map of all the different battle locations and you got to vote where you wanted to station the most firepower. They promised it’d be in there, but it isn’t at all.

Also I seen a video from 1 1/2 years ago with them talking about destructible environments and showed a tank hitting a building, this is also no where to be seen in the game.

• wodin says:

A feature they cut from release like many others…probably be in a patch at some point.

wengart says:

Destructible environements are in. They just are not all over the place.