The Demonstrating Of Isaac

By Alec Meer on October 9th, 2011 at 11:27 am.

Loot! religion-bating loot!

The Binding of Isaac, Ed McMillen and Florian Himsl’s icky, ingenious Zeldalike now benefits from an online demo, hosted in the browser-based medium of Flash at Newgrounds.

It only includes two areas of the game and a few of the items and foes, so may struggle to convey the randomly-generated wonder/horror of this shooter/roleplayer/matricide curio, but if you’re still confused about exactly what this game is, this will give you a broad sense of it.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Slade says:

Glad to see that Edmund is still active on Newgrounds.

2. DickSocrates says:

The thing that put me off getting it was how it looked exactly like some Flash game off Newgrounds.

3. KingCathcart says:

I read this and my only reaction is to fire up the full game for one more go.

Yes it does look (and play) like a flash game. However I am more than happy to have chucked a few quid at it, secure in the knowledge that it will always be sitting there in my Steam library.

4. Derppy says:

Might be because it is a flash game.

That’s the reason it lacks some options and the system requirements to run it smoothly are extremely high compared to how it looks.

Still, one of the best games this year. Way more enjoyable than many triple-A titles.

5. Calneon says:

I’m away from my PC for a few days, decided to download this on my laptop with an ATI 5650 card. The game slows down when there’s more than a few enemies on screen. Why oh why did they make this in Flash.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

I know right? It’s really annoying how I have to run it in Low and it STILL lags like hell when there’s a bunch of stuff on screen.

6. Linfosoma says:

I didnt have any problems running the game here (but I did have to stop using Chrome thanks to the Flash plugin constantly crashing, so Im definitely not saying Flash is perfect), I do think it’s a lovely game (even though I haven’t managed to beat it yet, yes, I suck I know).
    There’s simply so much stuff to collect, lots of clever secrets and hilarious addons for your character (which really makes me wish I could take screenshots with the Steam overlay).

It’s a fantastic little game, really worth the price.

• WombatDeath says:

I haven’t beaten it either; in fact I haven’t even got as far as the final boss. It’s a great game, but I’ve had to conclude that I am just shit at this kind of thing.

7. DickSocrates says:

Maybe Flash getting graphics card support will make existing games run better as it won’t be running purely off CPU. Or it might just help new games.

8. Flint says:

Does the full version have any sort of control choice options? I know it sounds weird and unnecessary for many but moving with WASD is downright wonky for me, kinda hoping there’s a way to flip the arrow button and WASD actions. Seems like an enjoyable enough game otherwise though, even if the demo is limited. Possibly something to check via a sale one day.

• Warskull says:

Two control options:
      -Swap WSAD and arrows (lefty flip)
      -Swap for azerty keyboard.

• JFS says:

A sale? It already only costs 5 bucks. Granted, it might be on Steam for 2,50 or something someday, but it is truly a great game and worth each and every of those five monies. You should try it out (if you don’t fear addiction)

• Flint says:

Ah, great news about the lefty flip. Thanks!

• Baf says:

I thought it seemed strange that the game doesn’t support a gamepad at all, considering how insistent the author was that you use one with Super Meat Boy. Presumably it’s because of Flash.

9. Ruffian says:

I would have to agree with most of the people on this forum in that Binding is awesome. I got it and RAGE at roughly the same time and have definitely logged more time on it. Sooo fun, and the art style/story really is something different/special. awesome game.

10. Baines says:

It has too many strikes for me.

I’m not fond of the art.

A twin-stick game without the option to use a twin-stick controller? Keyboard is functional, but this is a case where the keyboard is not the best controller for the style of game. (Yes, I know about programs such as Joy-to-Key.)

Slowdown. No, I don’t have a gaming PC. But for what it does, this shouldn’t be as demanding a game as it is. (Yes, I know it is a Flash game.)

Something seems slightly off in the action. I don’t know if it is the controls or the occasional slowdown, or if it is something else. The player character seems to slip a bit after you release a key. Projectiles gaining the momentum of your movement doesn’t seem to add enough to be worth the annoyance.

I’m not saying it is a bad game. I can see why others would like it. It just isn’t my cup of tea.

11. Melf_Himself says:

Unngghh no diagonal shooting makes baby jesus (isaac?) cry

12. Srethron says:

As someone who keeps up with my theology and would presumably be in the demographic to be offended by the oft-referenced “religious baiting” of this game, I’m utterly unoffended by The Binding of Isaac and am confused as to what I’m supposed to be offended about. I’d expect the feared demographic of people afraid of gross-out humor and/or scat to be far more in danger of protest marches. Anyway, carry on.

Comment on this story