Mario Is Better With Ninjas: Megamash

By Andrew Smee on October 11th, 2011 at 2:09 pm.

From Bomberman to Ninja: Change your career easily by attending our affordable night classes!

Here, do you remember Rom Check Fail? It was a little IP-defying mashup that allowed you to goomba-stomp Asteroids as Mario and stab Space Invaders with Link’s sword. Kieron was hugely excited about it at the time. Today I’m excited about Megamash, which takes the concept and rebrands it for the modern flash gaming masses.

Once again picked up by Play This Thing (I really should read it more often), Megamash is a 2D side scrolling platform game about a rabbit who jumps on enemies, until he jumps through a fuzz of on-screen static into another game, whereupon he’s transformed into a spaceship, or a bomberman, or a ninja! It’s not quite as blatantly infringing as Rom Check Fail was with its appropriation of resources, but Megamash still remains mischievous about it’s presentation. That rabbit isn’t wearing a red cap and dungarees for nothing.

It’s instantly appealing. The levels are designed to let the abilities of one avatar transverse obstacles the previous could not, such as using Bomberman bombs to blow a hole in the previously impenetrable wall. The shots fired by the spaceship framed on a starry outer space background become bouncing Mario fireballs as they pass through the static filter into the colourful Mushroom Kingdom. Enemies change form into the different games’ enemies as they pass through the screens, so a Flying Goomba warps into a space invader and back again as it flies out the other end.

A couple of platforming sections can be more difficult than is absolutely needed, but on the whole it’s a cutely designed game about applying the different game universes’ logic against each other in order to beat the puzzle-like levels. There’s also a grappling hook!

Please do have a play.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. icupnimpn2 says:

Platforming with up for jump… why do they do this?

• Bfox says:

Today icupnimpn2 had to play outside his comfort zone…

• Eldiran says:

I have to agree very strongly. This is a solid game, but it would really benefit from using Z and X as jump and attack, instead of up for jump and spacebar for attack.

I quit as soon as I had to press up to walljump. Yes, I’m that picky.

That said, definitely an awesome game concept.

• Jekhar says:

Using Z+X would make matters far worse for me, as i’m on a qwertz keyboard. I can’t believe how many freeware game designers overlook this simple issue. Luckily there are programs like JoyToKey which let me circumvent the problem, and add Joystick-Support to Keyboard-only Games in the process. ;-)

2. pakoito says:

Every game by Nitrome is an instant classic. I wasn’t suprised.

3. Jonas says:

I think it’s a little unfair to call this a rebranded Rom Check Fail. RCF was really just about the hilarious chaos of random game mashups, Megamash on the other hand uses the different game mechanics in really clever ways. There are some proper solid puzzles in here :D

4. Koozer says:

Completely stuck on the Tetris.

5. Gabe McGrath says:

This game is very smart.
    Very sad to see this attract <10 comments, yet 'RPG game remade as fan film' post gets 100+ posts.

I can only hope RPS commenters are too busy playing it, to write about it.

6. gwathdring says:

This is pretty fantastic. I love the de-make of their Ninja game. It’s a fun little touch. Also, being the tetris blocks feels pretty awesome.

Comment on this story