Fixed Levitating Zombies: Dead Island Patch

By Alec Meer on October 12th, 2011 at 8:07 pm.

Fly my pretty, fly

Dead Island’s PC launch was a bit of a messy business, which is why we here at Fortress Shotgun gave a solemn, grim-jawed nod upon hearing that devs Techland had decided to prioritise patching it over squeaking out downloadable content. The latter was delayed in favour of the former, and today we get a peek at which of their freeform zombie game’s guts they’ve been performing surgery on.

A few of the major fuel sources for the angry tank have been successfully identified and removed, including but not limited to: weapon duping, offline mode, savegame borking, disabling unwanted voice chat and, rather sadly, floating zombie corpses (well, re-corpses). I’ll miss you, lads.

Steam should auto-update your game right about now, and here are the full patch notes. Is your personal bugbear listed?

-Fixed running game on Steam in offline mode

-Fixed damaged saves when a player has more than 190 items in inventory (weapon or stacked items, counting in items from Jin’s storage and player inventory). Corrupted savegames will be recovered when possible.

-Fixed problems with unlocking “There and back again” with progress 72/72

-Fixed duplicating weapons: When throwing and dropping at one time; When dropping items from inventory

-Optimized scanning for friends-process, to decrease lobby server workload

-Fixed random freezes when playing 4 players coop no longer appear

-Fixed issues when using medkits from inventory menu

-Stacking items issue solved: miscellaneous items to 9999, medkits and alcohol to 30 instead of 10.

-Added the option to disable voice chat in game.

-Limited Jin’s storage capacity to 150

-Fixed: disappearing items when there is no place in inventory and a player tries to get an item from Jin’s storage

-Improved trading: items will be removed from the smallest stack instead of a random one.

-Fixed problems with corrupted profiles, which caused the game to start with black screen and freeze.

->>>>>>>> Fixed levitating zombies after killing < <<<<<<<

-Fixed not being able to show quest details in quest menu using Xbox controller

More to come, hopefully. I still haven’t played this properly yet – think I’ll wait it out for patches while the impending November glut of games happens. Then I can have myself a very gory, sweary little Christmastime.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Koozer says:

Never mind the patch, the headline is on TWO LINES.

• xavdeman says:

No it isn’t? IE6 user?
      OT: “-Added the option to disable voice chat in game.” I’d rather it obey Steamworks settings like Push To Talk (or do they mean this?).
      Also, does it expose all graphics settings in the menu now? I don’t understand why they want to have users fuck around with .ini files when they just as well could have the settings in the graphics menu, also pleases graphic whore reviewers (e.g. the shadow quality can be set way higher).

• Koozer says:

IE6? How dare you.

I have seen things you can only imagine. Alec knows the truth.

• xavdeman says:

“I have seen things you can only imagine.” I bet you’re talking about the blink tag ;)

• sidhellfire says:

It should rather go:

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe”

• Amakir says:

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I’ve watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”

• Koozer says:

Unfortunately, you’re all wrong.

2. H.P Kraftwerk says:

Did they fix the F key pickup bug when rebinding the keys? I found the game unplayable till that is taken care of since I use EDSF to move around

• Dhatz says:

the fuck? go read some forums, well that’s why PC is the only usable platform. as for patching I won’t give up dupe glitch untill I finish my first run.

• skinlo says:

Hmm, haven’t heard that one before!

• H.P Kraftwerk says:

I take that as a no, and I would still have to use the Dead Island Helper or Edit my Data0.cab? No thanks

• The Tupper says:

EDSF to move around? It’s outrageous to the point of heresy, but…it just might work. With that setup I can see multiple opportunities for pinkie-action. I wish I’d thought of it fifteen-odd years ago as I fear my brain is far too addled to change now.

• Reapy says:

I swapped to that a while back while playing WoW when I needed more button pushing action. It works pretty well actually because your hand sits in the home row like when typing, so you have the hashmark on F to help you find your place again.

Unfortunately I needed unlearn myself back to asdw due to my keyboard breaking. I guess I was having some weird simultaneous button pushing issues. I think some keyboards do the wiring differently around the asdw keys, and the g15 I got did something odd where it didn’t detect button pushes so my character would basically lock in one movement direction and not respond the way it should have.

I still recommend trying it out though, it is the same alignment as wasd, but overall gives you more options… of coarse since it is non standard I guess you can run into issues like the parent poster is here.

• JoeFX69 says:

My set up is, and always has been…

RMB: Move forward:
      Z: Move back (Third finger)
      S: Strafe left (Second finger)
      D: Strafe right (First finger)

I know, I know, but its actually great

• Chaz says:

What happened to ZX/’ or was it ZX.; oh and “space” to jump?

• malkav11 says:

Since WASD is now standard and has been for over a decade, my feeling is that I neither want to relearn muscle memory nor rebind the entire control configuration in every new game I play, regardless of the potential advantages of another setup.

It’s kind of like how people claim Dvorak is a superior keyboard layout and QWERTY is this terrible holdover from manual typewriters and whatnot. And maybe it is. But virtually every keyboard on every computer that is not mine is going to be QWERTY. So maybe Dvorak would improve my typing efficiency or whatnot on my home computer. But that is no compensation for having to adjust mentally and reflexively every time I type on any other keyboard anywhere. (As it is, differences in tactile properties can throw me off a bit.)

3. Aspongeinmauve says:

The last patch prevented anyone from lauching the game on steam for several hours, so this will surely be better than the previous one.

4. Demiath says:

Thankfully, I had very few problems during my long-ish Dead Island playthrough. Deus Ex: Human Revolution wasn’t exactly a mess (even though its PC port was vastly overrated), but it was far more crash-prone and glitchy than DI.

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah, the games actually pretty stable, provided you use the nifty fan made helper to tweak graphics options and fix the annoying stutter caused by the keyboard (which, to me, is the most glaring bug that this patch didn’t fix).

• Dasos says:

Wait there’s a way to fix the keyboard stutter? I never found out how :(

5. Bobtree says:

They didn’t fix the keyboard repeat-rate stutter issue, but the Dead Island helper utility can do this if you leave it running in the background and set that option. The Steam-overlay mouse pointer snafu is also still in. At least we can turn off multiplayer voice now and use medkits from inventory.

6. povu says:

Did they fix the really annoying alcohol auto-equip? Pretty much every time you pick up alcohol it replaces your active weapon in the slot, making you accidentally drink it often as you try to attack. And then you have to rebind that quick slot again with the actual useful item.

Pretty much everyone I’ve talked to about the game is annoyed by the alcohol thing. :P

7. Juan Carlo says:

edit wrong spot

8. DigitalSignalX says:

I’m at a save where I died 3 times, all my weapons are gone, and I’m stuck at a gas station with the electricity not turning off correctly. It feels pointless to continue.

9. BrendanJB says:

I have a weird bug regarding the F key. I always have my melee action bound to F, and the game happily sets my “boot zombie in face” key to F, but it also keeps F as my “grab thing” key. So if I throw a sharp thing at a zombie, and go up to boot it in the head, sometimes it will grab instead. I have been fucked on by zombies many times because of this.

Also, the save system really grinds my gears. When you have to travel so goddamn far for some of the missions, you need at least a mid-point save or a quick save option. Or at least a way to set a new spawn point. Starting back at that outpost every damn time you die was the worst possible choice.

Other than that though, I quite enjoy the game!

• daf says:

That is a know bug with a “easy” fix, just download dead island config tool and use the “rebind hardcoded instances of the use key”.

However, if you’re technically inclined and don’t want to have a small program running like me you can just open “Steam\steamapps\common\dead island\DI\Data0.pak” extract “Data\input.scr” and “Data\inputs_def.scr” to your “Documents\deadisland\out\Data\” and edit input.scr for entries with EKey__F to the new use key (EKey__E in my case). While you’re there you can also search for _ACTION_SWAP_TRIGGER and change the last number to a bigger interval if you’re having trouble with accidental weapon replacement.

10. Nice Save says:

Patch = News story = Rage marketing strategy?

11. RegisteredUser says:

Ironically enough, you could change half of these things yourself weeks ago and many did, including me.
    The stack sizes for example are simply a number in one of the inventory texts..

Why something you can do in 5 minutes took them 4 weeks is beyond me to be honest.

Most fan patches are in that major steam forum thread, including stuff mentioned in comments here.

Did this update break savegames for anyone or glitch stuff?

• malkav11 says:

You (or fanpatchers in general) have no responsibility to QA your changes to make sure you’re not fucking anything else up along the way.

12. Zesgan says:

Lol, my game wont even run (y) nice update. Not only happening with me, but with a lot of friends too.