Ready Jet Go! Tribes Ascend Closed Beta

By John Walker on October 12th, 2011 at 2:03 pm.

Just look at that verticality.

Tis the season to launch your closed beta, it seems. Joining in with the flurry of secretive practise goes is Hi-Rez Studios, who have today announced their closed beta is to begin on the 4th November. Those who buy the “VIP Starter Bundle” are guaranteed a way in, and it’s pot luck for the rest. Oh, and there are two new screenshots.

I’m not sure I’m going to tolerate games saying they offer things like “verticality” every time they include a jump button, but perhaps Tribes is the last I’ll let through. Jetpack-including manshoots are in the hands of a team who seem rather passionate about the series. And they’re making it for free. (Well, I’m sure they’re getting paid, but we won’t have to contribute to that.) And they’re keen to point out that Ascend will offer an alternative to the coming season’s Modern Battlefields. Says Hi-Rez’s COO, Todd Harris,

“This holiday season, shooter players can continue to hide in cover and crawl across the ground while playing one of the familiar military-style shooters… Or they can get off their belly, strap on a jetpack and join us in high flying, high-speed combat in Tribes: Ascend!”

Paying your way in to the “free” game seems to get you a bunch of the bits and bobs that it will try to bleed you of once you’re in, and make sure you’re in the beta. That’ll cost you £20/$30.

And in other news, the Hi-Rez logo looks a lot like the Autobots’. I foresee a very dramatic court case.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. RiptoR says:

Can’t seem to find info about the cash shop anywhere. I want to preorder, but I want to know first what the VIP status will offer, and what we can do with the “Tribes Gold”.

2. MuscleHorse says:

Wasn’t this reported on here a couple of days ago?

Looking forward to this – truly hope they’ve avoided the Pay to Win trend.

• Gnoupi says:

If they are going to do like for Global Agenda, nothing to worry about.

in GA, you can pay to earn XP, credits, tokens faster with money, and buy some flair items. And that’s all. You can get more rewards for the same gaming time, simply. But without paying, you can still get most likely the same.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Though no matter how much money you pump into Global Agenda it never becomes a good game…

• paterah says:

@PatrickSwayze Your post is completely irrelevant. The point is in GA there is nothing you can’t get as a VIP that you can’t get without it and it will most likely be the same in Tribes Ascend.

3. Giaddon says:

“This holiday season, shooter players can continue to hide in cover and crawl across the ground while playing one of the familiar military-style shooters… Or they can get off their belly, strap on a jetpack and join us in high flying, high-speed combat in…” Section 8: Prejudice.

Yeah, we saw how well that worked out. :(

Me <- Still sad.

In all seriousness, I'll give this a shot.

4. Stepout says:

Nice! Pre-ordered my beta access.

5. Rangst says:

Anyone else think the weapon model is way too big?

• celewign says:

This is discussed every time a screenie appears. Yes, everyone thinks that. You don’t need to bring it up anymore.

• Barnaby says:

Holy crap that weapon model is HUUUUGE!

I kid, I kid. It really is painfully enormous though.

• Creaturemagic says:

Total Biscuit said that at Games com he brought the issue up and the developers said there will be either an option to re-size it or even remove the weapon models all together.

6. squareking says:

Quite excited for this, though I’m not keen on dropping $30 on a name alone for guaranteed beta access. Fingers crossed for standard beta access, etc.

7. tyren says:

Looks like the game will indeed have dedicated servers, since “private servers” is on the list of things that won’t be in the initial beta but will be in before release.

8. DOLBYdigital says:

Nice! If it were $20 then I would pre-order but just don’t feel its worth $30 without seeing anything to go on. Maybe if I see some beta videos that impress me I’ll jump in but after thinking about it an extra second, I have too much to play already so I’ll just wait for the release. Loved Tribes though and am eager to get back to skiing around