Sonic Generations Steams On To PC

By Jim Rossignol on October 12th, 2011 at 7:39 am.

There's a hedgehog in my garden, but if I catch him wearing red trainers, he's dead.
SEGA Blog trumpets the news that Sonic Generations will arrive on PC in November. SEGA explain: “Sonic Generations for PC digital includes Steamworks features such as Steam Cloud, which allows save files to be stored on Steam’s servers so you can resume your game progress from any PC. As with the other console platforms, Sonic Generations will be available to play in full stereoscopic 3D and will contain Achievements and online leaderboards. The PC version will also support resolutions up to 1080p.”

It will be out November 1st in North America and November 4th in Europe. And that’s a staggered release that can’t have anything to do with retail, because it claims that the boxed versions will out later in the month. Hmm.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. jellydonut says:

‘Up to’ 1080p – do these imbeciles even *use* PC monitors? Do they develop on TVs?

• Spacewalk says:

Maybe the ‘p’ stands for pixels.

• donmilliken says:

No, they develop for consoles. Were you really expecting a Sonic the Hedgehog game on PC not to be a console port?

• begedinnikola says:

The p may have meant something else in the past, but these days, 1080p simply means the height of the screen is 1080 pixels. I don’t have a problem with that. Besides, this will be a platformer, I fail to see how it being a console port will be an issue, at least controlwise.

In any case, I’m starting to like sega a lot more recently.

• Gnoupi says:

True that it’s not an argument you usually use for PC, since the end resolution is most likely our choice.

Translate that simply as “we support a higher quality than your average console port”.

• MadMinstrel says:

The p stands for progressive, as opposed to interlaced. Way back when, monitors and TVs used to refresh every other line of the screen at 50 or 60 Hz. That meant 25 or 30 full refreshes per second, but gave an impression of smoother motion at the cost of some blurriness. It was called interlaced scanning. Right now progressive scanning (updating the whole screen at once) is mostly used, but interlaced scanning is still infrequently in use, especially for older HDTVs that couldn’t handle the processing power required to decode the full progressive 1080 signal. The PSP 3000 also had an interlaced screen, to everyone’s general dismay.

• adonf says:

@MadMinstrel Well yeah, that’s why it makes no sense to say 1080p on the PC. We’ve had progressive scan monitors since at least VGA and probably before that too.

• Caerphoto says:

Going to look fabulous on my 27″ monitor. Choice between big black borders on all sides, or blur-o-pixels :-/

• MadMinstrel says:

@adonf I know. I just facepalmed at the kiddies saying it was for pixels, or screen height.

• Optimaximal says:

Yes, but running in what essentially is 1080i can have performance benefits for older machines/stuff with Intel GMA hardware.

Not that it matters, 99% of HDTVs have a dedicated PC mode which offers greater than 1080p on the same panel. It’s just a supported standard thing.

2. Real Horrorshow says:

This is good.

3. HermitUK says:

GreenManGaming have it for £17. But there’s also a ’20% off everything at GMG’ code this week [AUTUM-NSALE-20PEC], so you can pick it up for under £14. Given it’s Steamworks you’ll just be able to register the code they send you on steam, come release.

• Mashakosha says:

That was extremely helpful; I still had the games they gave away for free with that promotion they did some time back, and their trade in prices came to just under the discounted price after that voucher. Add in my previous trade-in credit, and I essentially got Sonic Generations for free!

Thank you, Hermit! :D

4. G-Lord says:

I guess I have to get this game on PC if its halfway decent. The system requirements are a bit high – I hope this is not due to a bad port.

• Quxxy says:

It’s a PC version of a Sonic the Hedgehog game. Of course it’s going to be a bad port. Look at Sonic Heroes: they couldn’t even be bothered to adjust the tutorial or any of the in-game graphics to account for the player not having a GameCube controller. Instead, you had to memorise how your controller mapped to the GC controller.

And then there was Sonic Adventure DX: plug in a 360 controller, which the game supports, and watch as the camera uncontrollably spins. The fix? Fans had to patch the executable because SEGA can’t be arsed to fix it.

I’m looking forward to Generations, but my advice would be to keep your distance from the PC version until someone else has had a chance to find out what’s wrong with it. :)

• Prime says:

“…but my advice would be to keep your distance from the PC version until someone else has had a chance to find out what’s wrong with it. :)”

Heh. That advice should go for just about every release made on the PC these days.

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

I cannot for the life of me find where these mythical “high system specs” are. Anyone got a link?

And will the Steam integration be optional? I’d like my physical box to be more than an expensive beer mat.

And lol @ 1080p. My monitor’s been 1280 wide for… Eight years? And that’s tiny by today’s standards. Then again, it could be they’ll force us to play in letterbox mode like Bulletstorm…

• The JG Man says:

Minimum Requirements
      Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2×2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent 2GB RAM (Windows 7/XP)/3GB RAM (Windows Vista) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2900 11 GB free hard drive space

Recommended Requirements
      Microsoft Windows 7 Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz 3GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 11 GB free hard drive space

From D2D’s page. How accurate they are, who knows? Sega haven’t come out and said they’re right or wrong, then again there’s been signs of the game for months and they’ve said nothing about that.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

the 1080 in 1080p is the height – the width of 1080p(for 16:9) is 1920.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

Cripes, those are pretty beefy. Luckily I just — just — exceed the minimum requirements (but my rig *is* more than three years old now).

• thegooseking says:

the 1080 in 1080p is the height – the width of 1080p(for 16:9) is 1920.

And of course it’ll support 16:9, being a console port. The number of PC games I’ve played that support 4:3 or 16:10 but not bother with 16:9 (which my monitor is)… well, it’s not that many, actually. But it’s annoying when it happens.

• Heliocentric says:

1080p is 1080 tall and 1920 wide.

• Optimaximal says:

Seriously? It’s usually the other way around, with 16:9 being the only option, giving letterboxes on the typical 16:10 PC monitor.

• Fierce says:

@Optimaximal

Actually, the problem is 16:10 isn’t typical at all, it’s 16:9 that is typical, common and being pigeon-holed as ‘The Standard’ due to its measurements producing more screens per slate… or whatever they call the sheets of tech needed.

I, and I’m sure many others who know what’s what, would kill for a 120Hz 1920×1200 monitor with a gaming grade reaction time, so that I might actually play videogames at higher than 60FPS without receiving interference from the Matrix. But alas, with the jury still out on 16:10 vs. 16:9, most of the lobbyists still paying people to chirp 16:9 on cue and 3D being touted as the next retail cocaine, no one has any incentive to make them.

My non-Vsync’d eyeballs shed a tear… literally.

• Rikard Peterson says:

Mine is 5:4 (and tiltable to become 4:5). Not bad for work-stuff, but *many* games will stretch. I wish all games would check the aspect ratio (and resolution) of the desktop and use that as default.

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

i’m sure it’ll support 1920×1200 & beyond, the 1080p nonsense will be to avoid confusing people.

• ethicks says:

I will bet you on that. There are games that only support 1080P even on PC (albeit none of them are usually major AAA games[I wouldn't put it past a japaneese dev though]). I’m just happy they are putting the actual GAME on PC.

7. Nevard says:

I eagerly await my “Robotnik’s Moustache” engineer misc

• LionsPhil says:

Not his goggles?

I find it amusing that the “baaaad porrrrrrt” whining is here, given Steamworks integration is ten times the effort of your average “bad” PC port. (Still doesn’t mean it won’t run terribly and only control acceptably on a 360 pad, natch, but nor does it mean it will.)

8. Theon says:

PEECEEEEEE! :D

9. Tom4J says:

This is good news, played this at EurogamerExpo and it had me giggling like a 7 year old again!.

• Milky1985 says:

I also played it at the expo and found myself doing a fist pump when i got a S ranking on the 3d green hill zone :p

10. thegooseking says: