Apartment Of Health: Lone Survivor

By Adam Smith on October 13th, 2011 at 12:07 pm.

a spot of grocery shopping

Does anyone remember Soul Brother, the side-scrolling extravaganza about suicidal animals? It wasn’t as horrid as that description makes it sound but Lone Survivor, the next game from Superflat Games, may well be even more horrible than dead kittens. You will play the last human living human in a city filled with shambling skinless slaughter-men, seemingly safe in your derelict apartment but forced to leave in order to scavenge for dead rats to shove down your gullet in a desperate bid for survival as your fevered brain-thoughts splinter under the strain of living among the dead, and you are forced to digest samplings of unknown and potentially mind-shattering drugs to blot out the clotted claret hallways that now make up your waking life, replacing them with unsettling and unwhimsical hallucinations. Take a look.

Jasper Byrne, the man behind this sightly abomination, is prepping it for entry at the Independent Games Festival, which means we should hear more about it soon. What I do know is that there’s a real emphasis on actual survival – eating, sleeping, not going completely insane – and talk of rotting fish and meat suggests that stockpiling will be an option, but not necessarily a successful one. Among the interesting aspects is the idea of the apartment itself: a safe haven, a storehouse and, judging by the world outside, one of the last bastions of sanity. Jasper describes it as a translation of the concept of ‘nurture’ into a game world, which is a grand idea. Having something to return to makes every step forward a step further away.

It’s hard to keep track of all the features because the game has been in development for a good while and at one point was growing so complex, and as I understand so far from its original design document, that Jasper didn’t know how to proceed. It’s good to see something with so much potential at the end of the process and I’m eager for more.

Also, even though the trailer clearly shows the mask being placed over the nose and mouth, I spent a good while trying to work out why hiding from horrors was causing the little fellow to grin quite so much. Madness, thought I, sheer madness.

, , , , , .

1. Zyrocz says:

Zombies…

2. roryok says:

its stuff like this that makes me keep coming back to RPS. Where else would I hear about stuff like this without following about 100 twitter accounts or RSS feeds every day?

• lhzr says:

the same place rps hear about stuff like this, indiegames.com, obv.

• MiniMatt says:

the same place rps hear about stuff like this, indiegames.com, obv.

Well those, and the hundreds of twitter feeds and gazzilions of press releases that they can be arsed to follow. In addition, one presumes, to going out and finding stories too.

Frankly, so long as RPS keep picking out the best bits of the internet, I’ll try to curb my predilection for perusing *all* of the it and let them run the risk of the crippling procrastination I typically encounter whenever I’m left unsupervised on wikipedia or tvtropes.

• godgoo says:

@ MiniMatt

Oh the procrastination!

• SavageD says:

“Frankly, so long as RPS keep picking out the best bits of the internet..”

This.

3. lhzr says:

looks and sounds amazing. just let me buy it already !

edit: a bit too much darkness in the video, though.

Bluerps says:

Hm. Does the game have some specific goal, or is it just about delaying the inevitable as long as possible?

And, is it just me, or are these zombie-things dancing?

5. Jim Rossignol says:

Seems a bit of a darkness overload to me.

Keymonk says:

’tis a bit too dark for me, indeed. Visually, if nothing else.

• Vagrant says:

I kept thinking during the trailer, “If I was the last survivor, I’d probably venture out during the daytime.”

• TsunamiWombat says:

I’d also scavenge some books and games and playing cards to keep me sane. Zombie Survival Guide 101.

6. godgoo says:

I misinterpreted his ventilation mask and now I can’t unsee the ‘So Much Win’ guy.

lasikbear says:

Same, I thought he was just so thrilled to be hiding in the shadows.

7. danimalkingdom says:

HA! yes. when I saw this posted on indiegames I was thinking “why is he smiling?”, i worked out that it was supposed to be a mask, but no-one over there seemed to have noticed it. I just thought ‘if RPS posted this trailer, they’d point that out’. And you did. So yes. great.

8. DickSocrates says:

I hope it isn’t all dark like that, was already annoyed by in the trailer. It’s second only to jump scares in the list of cheap ways to create horror.

9. Bhazor says:

So… zombies then.

10. MichaelPalin says:

(so tired of pixel art) Looks interesting.

11. lgs says:

This reminds me of Soundless Mountain II

12. nimnio says:

“Would you take drugs to stay sane?”

Games need obstacles to be games, but this is a pretty lame explanation.

13. deadly.by.design says:

DEEEE-pressing.

14. Eukatheude says:

This might be the game i’ve been waiting for.

15. bluebogle says:

This looks fun! In a dark, kind of twisted sort of way. Thanks for pointing it out. As someone mentioned above, this is the kind of thing I come to RPS for. Keep it up!

Revisor says:

Mr. Byrne reads and responds:

You can get through the game without killing anything, and taking pills, killing or eating rats is entirely optional… and the game will recognise this.

There is a very positive ending to this game, if you play it in a certain way. I want it to be full of hope.

Sounds very good.

• Buzko says:

How wonderful!

And as to the crawling around in the darkness, I assumed it was the Bug-Blatter-Beast of Traal gambit – if you can’t see them, they can’t see you.

17. JonasKyratzes says:

This is going to be a brilliant, creepy, intelligent game. I can’t wait to see it released.

18. RyuRanX says:

A 2D Survival-Horror? I’m sold.

19. Jetsetlemming says:

Great concept, though not much there to suggest about the implementation. Hopefully it’ll be better than Project Zomboid (though I’m the only person I ever see not out of their minds with excitement about project zomboid…)

20. WhiteHonkey says:

Remember Soul Brother??? I hold the worldwide high score o.o Not kidding, and i love that game, and love platformers in general, been playing mario at pro status since I was like 2 xD Loved the shortness, and the ability to perfect your routes etc to try and get the fastest run, I did mine with 0 errors and i never stopped moving once it was painstaking but I love playing it.

But damn this game does looks amazing! I’ve been waiting for a new game from superflat, i love their style, and although this won’t be an arcade-esque game at all I’m really excited for it. I play just about everything that’s out there, and this is definitely looking sickk

21. Drayk says:

I just tried Soul Brother. Pretty neat little game but the repetitive music got on my nerve quite fast.