Dirchie Kart, Dirchie Kart, Dirchie Kart

By Jim Rossignol on October 13th, 2011 at 9:02 am.

Dirchie Kart! It’s some kind of cartoon kart-racing game, and there’s a beta going on Dirchie Kart over here. It looks like it’s local split-screen only at the moment, but that’s apparently set to change as the lone dev gets around to working on network stuff. He’s looking for a hand getting it working on PC (having previously appeared on Xbox) and is asking for feedback. Worth a look, anyway.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Sam Crisp says:

Tabbed over to this after reading about the death of Dennis Ritchie and had a moment of dyslexic confusion at the title. Read through this twice thinking it was a game made in memory of him or something. Silly me.

2. aircool says:

Still doesn’t beat Wacky Wheels!

• diebroken says:

WW is the best kart game of all time! XD

Now you’ve got me thinking of OMF:2097 as well, ’94 what a year that was…

• Koozer says:

Pf you took the words out of my mouth.

3. Heliocentric says:

I hate kart racers so much… It’s the “field levelling” weapons that base the outcome of the match on RNG. Just like Mario Party for that matter. The Wipeout had random weapons but racing was actually a skill there so the weapons were more about ruining an opponents racing line than magic win.

• icupnimpn2 says:

It didn’t bother me so much in the original Mario Kart because most of the effects of the weapons could be avoided or defeated by very skillful playing, such as hopping over an incoming red shell. Later games took that out and then added in items like the winner-seeking, nearly unavoidable blue shell (the modern liberal shell) that punishes success. “Fair share, fair share!” it screams as it homes in on the driver leading the pack.

This could all be fixed by including more skill-based weapons and providing players with skill-based avoidance mechanisms.

jrodman says:

politics injection :-(

• BrownBot says:

That’s exactly what I’m trying to do with Dirchie Kart, take it back so the racing is the primary game play. There is no friggin blue shells, no boring huge tracks, no rubber banding.

Sounds like you’ll like the second series of tracks, they’re all compressed versions of actual F1 GP tracks, you really need to hit the racing line to do well in those races.

Give it a look, I’m interested to hear what you think?

4. Asskicker says: