Jonah Lomu Rugby On PC Tomorrow After All

By John Walker on October 13th, 2011 at 12:25 pm.

The All Blacks cheat by calling on the gods for help.

It seems reports of the delay of the PC version of Jonah Lomu’s Rugby Challenge were somewhat exaggerated. While it’s true that the retail PC version will come out on the 21st, a week later than the consoles on the 14th, this isn’t the case for the Steam version. That’s to be released alongside the cousins tomorrow. Why the delay? Developers Alternative Software explain to us the reason the boxed version comes later is because,

“We are just having to fly in the new PC retail box version from Australia.”

You can see a trailer for the game below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. WMain00 says:

Got 8/10 on Eurogamer which i’m happy about!

• baby snot says:

I’m glad someone is because after watching the last few world cups I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t ‘get’ rugby

• JuJuCam says:

It’s essentially Blood Bowl with a few more rules and slightly less violence and fantasy.

• Derppy says:

@baby snot

A short video to explain rugby for you, see if you can still remember the rules after watching it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW0Fp16XhZo

• baby snot says:

I remember yellow. Lots of yellow. So the rules of rugby are yellow, yellow, yellow, sweaty girls bums, yellow. Did I get that right?

2. Ian says:

I bet rugby fans are ovally excited about this.

…..

3. c-Row says:

So, Hand-To-Ball?

• mejoff says:

^s^

(nice tackle)

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Some less reputable Rugby players do Hand to Ball in a second, less family friendly way.

• MD says:

Or the classic Australian version, hand to prostate.

“It wasn’t a wedgie. That’s when your pants are pulled up your arse. I think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking their finger up my bum”

4. CaspianRoach says:

This game looks really weird. Are there really real people playing this?

• Sheng-ji says:

Huh? You’ve never heard of rugby before…. Let me guess, american (Who did rather well in the world cup a few weeks ago)

• Jim Rossignol says:

He’s called CaspianRoach and you guess he’s American?

• GallonOfAlan says:

The .ru visible when you hover over Mr CaspianRoach’s name should provide a clue.

• Sheng-ji says:

Sorry, I’m not up on my russian fish trivia :/

No excuse then, I lived in Russia for the first 8 years of my life and played since I was six, there’s a huge rugby scene in the country.

• CaspianRoach says:

Sheng-ji, there’s a huge scene of -anything- -anywhere-, however most of them aren’t well known or advertised. I’ve heard of a word ‘rugby’ before but never seen an actual game played. Looks like a mix of american football and normal football.

• KilgoreTrout_XL says:

Hey, let’s get this straight. People are supposed to deride us when we say “IMHO NFL FOOTBALL GTFO” when rugby is mentioned.

It’s not like rugby is an unknown quantity over here, by the way. And every single American football fan I have ever met agrees that it’s a pretty bad ass sport, with the hitting and the scrumming and the ow.

That USA v. Ireland game was fun to watch too.

• Sheng-ji says:

To everyone in the whole thread and anyone I’ve offended in the last month: I’m sorry!

I don’t mean anyone any offence and I’m sorry if I furthered negative stereotypes or just came across as a bit stroppy!

By way of explanation, I gave birth a month ago ish and haven’t had a sleep since then which lasted longer than 2 hours. I had a really difficult night with him last night and I tried to be light hearted and clearly completely failed.

Not an excuse, just an explaination.

Give me a year or two, I’ll be back to the Sheng-ji we all love and can have a sensible conversation with.

• LMichet says:

You tend to see rugby at american universities quite a lot these days– the ones on the east coast, anyway. Pretty strong showing with both men and women’s teams.

5. GallonOfAlan says:

I bet the Haka is an unskippable cutscene.

• Okami says:

QTE

• atticus says:

The Haka should be the compulsory intro for all teams wanting to succeed in male sports.

Theres no better way of starting a competitive round of athletic activity than to do an aggressive warlike dance while roaring in a strange and hostile language. In sync.

• Electric Dragon says:

Haka minigame! Press “Q” to stick tongue out. Press “E” to slap moobs. Press right mouse button to waggle eyebrows menacingly. Number keys are bound to a variety of Maori imprecations.

• wcaypahwat says:

So that’s why they invented the Kinect.

• phuzz says:

Having seen my boss (who’s brother played for the All Blacks until recently), do the haka from about six feet away, I can confirm that it is scary.
      Mind you, most professional rugby players are pretty scary from six feet away, because that’s the point you realise that it’s not a big man up close, it’s an enormous man slightly further away.

6. JuJuCam says:

Regardless if you’re interested in the game or not, this is a pretty significant step in the right direction for the No Oceans campaign!

• Sheng-ji says:

Hehe, not really! It was released in August in New Zealand! Still nice to see the tables turned for once though

• wcaypahwat says:

We got Wallabies Challenge about a month back, too…. region locks based on patriotism?

7. BreadBitten says:

Why do I find the screenshot so gut wrenchingly funny?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

My reaction was similar. I know it is the dreaded hakka but I can’t help interpreting it as an in-match shot with the worst animation fail in history.

8. leahcim says:

“Jonah Lomu” Is that Gurkha for Joanna Lumley?

9. Jackablade says:

Wow, people actually like a game that I worked on. 13th time lucky I guess.

10. Quizboy says:

The screenshot made me believe for a second that Space Channel 5 Part 3 had been announced. All was briefly right with the world.

11. tulip says:

Is there a boatrace minigame? Shooting the boot? Chances to redeem oneself?

Been so looking forward to this, glad to see from reviews that it does not suck. Been a long time since a good PC rugby game has been released here in NA.

12. Wisq says:

Never seen a video game version of rugby (maybe I wasn’t looking hard enough), and that always seemed like a major omission. I’m glad to see this and will probably pick it up.

Now, what about cricket?