RPS Asks: What Is Your Virtual Talent?

By Jim Rossignol on October 13th, 2011 at 1:31 pm.

Illustrative image. Somehow.
I suppose this question will largely be interpreted as “what game are you best at?” but I actually have a more specific motivation for asking. While I was probably best at Speedball 2 or Quake III in terms of raw twitchy gaminess, my best developed skill from a game was definitely fleet commanding in Eve Online. It was a skill within the overall mastery of the game. I wasn’t the best pilot, or the best trader, or the best diplomat or best at Eve in any general sense, I was just really good at fleet commanding and running gangs. I’m a little sad that this skill is now languishing after years of work.

Anyway, it made me wonder whether you lot had any specific talents you’d like to share? Perhaps, unlike John, you are a particularly good healer? Or are you a brilliant WoW auction house ninja? Or something else more exotic? The most interesting claims will win points in the subgame of RPS that I call “keeping Jim amused while this DLC downloads”.

Go!

Sponsored links by Taboola

Hanban says:

I was wicked good at Hyperblade. I do not think I reached that level of mastery at any game following that one.

Edit: Spelling mistake.

• ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Awww man Hyperblade! Always had to play as the Leeds Castles. Always.

Why is it not on GoG!

• Belsameth says:

Hyperblade!

I have the original somewhere still.
      Why didn’t anybody make a good remake of that. :(

• frenz0rz says:

I loved Hyperblade, think I’ve still got it on CD somewhere.

Was always pretty naff at it though. Also, go Warsaw Ambush!

• greenbananas says:

Hyper-ducking-blade! Man, it was satisfying to behead people in that game. Too bad it’s pretty much unplayable in XP (don’t remember why exactly, long since I tried). STURMNACHT, BABY!

• tentaclesex says:

That was a funky game. I had a copy which came included with something, perhaps a video card. Didn’t think much of it at first, but before I knew it, I was hooked.

• greenbananas says:

@tentaclesex

It was some 3d Matrox card, IIRC (the mystique?). I say this because I got my copy from a bloke who bought one.

2. Sicky says:

I’m a great game crafter, anygame i play that i can craft items in i always will do :) also i make an awesome support character in mmo’s :D

• Temple says:

Me too!
      I mean, er, if there is not crafting then I will not stay with the game for long.
      I don’t really consider myself a support player though -too much responsibility.
      My favourite characters on City of Heroes are defenders and tanks which are sort of supporty, but you don’t really have to be the healer as a defender and can settle in a debuffer role.

More crafting games. Without griefers please.

• TormDK says:

I craft, therefor I am

3. HexagonalBolts says:

Starcraft 2. But I’m still only around gold/platinum leagues. Even so it takes an enormous amount of learning and skill to even get to there by comparison to the vast majority of computer games out there.

There’s a Starcraft 2 thread on the forums if anyone fancies a team game:

• mittortz says:

same here, except I’m only borderline silver/gold. It’s amazing. I’ve dumped hundreds of hours into the game, no doubt, and by any average definition I’d say I’m really very good at playing the game of starcraft. But when it comes to the incredibly high skill ceiling that exists, I’m still a mediocre noob.

KingCathcart says:

I have none. I am a triumph of mediocrity.

Kelron says:

I was a good trader in Eve, though I was never interested in putting in the time to become one of the mega-rich players. Just enough to keep me going.

I suppose I have a pretty strong record in Blood Bowl too, but there’s plenty in the RPS leagues who are better.

6. Linfosoma says:

Im a really good driver of virtual cars, as a plus, Im kind of an expert in knowing all the special points where you can hit a car to make it veer out of control.

• Khann says:

Along these lines, I’m quite a good qualifier in sim games. And though my race pace can unfortunately vary quite a lot over a full distance, I am quite good at maintaining reasonable pace on well worn tyres.

• MiniMatt says:

Tangent – friends and I one night, many moons ago, once set out to scientifically answer the question “Does alcohol make you a better driver?”. “Better driver” naturally being defined as lap times of Laguna Seca on Gran Turisimo.

Whilst it must be said that our methodology failed to account for the effect of repeated exposure to the test course, and our grasp of scientific principles somewhat faltered as the night progressed, we did manage to PROVE WITH SCIENCE that one and a half pints makes you a “better driver”.

It goes without saying that this is not an experiment that one would advise attempting around the suburbs, and relying upon our study in court after the police disentangle the cyclist, lollypop lady and half a bus stop from your radiator grill would be rather foolish.

• Khann says:

Funny you say that actually.

Back when I was still racing iRacing, was doing some Week 13 racing on Laguna Seca. I had a bottle of scotch next to my wheel that I was swigging most times I went down the pit straight. For the first 2/3 of the bottle this netted some excellent results. I won some and was up the sharp end for all.

As I waited for another race, I finished that bottle. Amazingly, due to my good results in the preceding races, I was placed in quite a high split (where the fast guys race). That split happened to include a racing driver that I happen to be quite a large fan of (Shane van Gisbergen). I was absolutely stoked.

I also happen to be right next to him on the grid. So the race started and I was extremely cautious for the first lap, making completely sure not to smash in to him. Unfortunately at this point the alcohol had really set in and I was having a lot of trouble keeping focus. My pace was good enough to keep up, but I unfortunately crashed out not long in to the race. Blew my chance to race with someone I look up to somewhat :(

What I learned from this: Alcohol can be great, but if you drink too much it can bite you in the ass right when you don’t want it to.

So yeah that was my completely irrelevant story.

• fugo says:

i did a similar experiment with a buddy, vodka and weed (over a couple of days so the effect of one shouldn’t affect the other). Setup was rFactor with no assists with a decent force feedback wheel.

we found that alcohol reduced the level of precision we were capable of, especially where really precise throttle and steering were needed – lap times dropped away very fast as more was drunk.

weed didn’t really make much difference in this respect and we could lap very close to sober (apart from the odd lapse of concentration – its hard to smoke a spliff while driving fast).

both weed and alcohol made reacting to outside stimulus very much harder. making overtakes or defending was much much more likely to result in a crash, normally a big one.

so basically, if you know the road you will probably be fine driving along it stoned as long as no one else is driving near you or someone runs into the road.

moral of the story is: not sober, don’t drive!

• gwathdring says:

Damnit, thought the spambot ate it. I swear this has been invisible for about an hour. Sorry for the double post!

• gwathdring says:

I’m usually bad at driving. Give me anything from Flatout to Gran Tourismo and I’ll spend most of the game crashing into walls. But give me a vehicle not intended for greatness and task me with going, quite simply, from point A to point B … and prepare for all of hell to break loose and work itself into my tire treads.

It started with Battlefield 1942. It was the first driving game I ever played. I learned to drive by dodge tank blasts, weaving between mines, and driving tanks safely down cliffs. I wanted to get the drop on enemies and end up behind enemy lines. Towards the end of my BF 1942 career it started to get a bit supernatural–not that I got better, just that it got weird. I stopped being able to go between the two impossibly close trees I was aiming for, but fate would compensate by sending me between the other two trees that were too close together for the graphical mesh but somehow just far enough apart not to count as a collision. Or I’d drive over a well placed mine only to hear the car behind me explode. I also had an uncanny ability to store dynamite and mines ontop of tanks, jeeps and lorries that I never managed to repeat with planes despite my best efforts. As an engineer, I’d lug around explosives in the passenger seat, bounce my way around obstacles, and ditch right next to the tank that had been trying to shoot me unsuccessfully for the past 400 m of travel. Shortly thereafter, explosions. As such I was both overjoyed and somewhat put out when I discovered sticky-C4 in Battlefield 2.

My finest moments took place on Wake Island. Tapped on the south beach landing, our forces would be surrounded by mines, tanks and falling bombs. And I’d drive my way right out of that mess, only half-aware of exactly where I was going or how. Sometimes the passengers would still be there. Often they’d be shot or bail out, rightfully terrified that some stupid bastard was about to take them straight over a bunch of mines, or was heading straight at a tank, or was gunning a gap between buildings clearly too small for a jeep, or taking the jeep down a cliff. I wish I could have told them somehow, as it would have made many of my behind-the-lines missions much more fun and useful to have had more allies with me in my smoking-near-wreck of a vehicle. But it’s hard to convince someone with “Don’t worry, I have no idea what I’m doing but I’m pretty sure we’ll be fine.”

While the skill has dwindled somewhat, it once spread across most games not explicitly about cars. Most recently I experienced a complete synergy with the Mako. I could take it up almost any slope in the game. Or at least, I could take it up slopes that it was clearly not designed to go up, as I only managed by wiggling my way up polygon by polygon, squeaking out the last two feet of the slope at the Mako’s absolute minimum speed. I could make the thing do backflips. I was a road-kill generating machine. I was born to drive the Mako.

It’s still there, waiting for the right vehicle. Give me enough of a clunker, and a mundane enough task … and there’s no obstacle will stand between me and my destination. And no way in a million years we’ll be taking the straight path. Bring it on, Ice Cream Truck simulator. Bring it on.

Luringen says:

Healing loads of damage as Medic in TF2. It’s satisfying to heal several teammates who are near death, Übercharging heavies, and busting spies who tries to stab your teammates.

• Lev Astov says:

Yes. I also was quite good at being one of those heavies and sticking with my medic.

• Lord Byte says:

For me it was the TF2 Heavy. With or without medic. I knew every healthpack ,exact what I could and couldn’t take, swapping between shotty and the basic heavy gun at the best moment. I reigned supreme even on the high-skill servers I frequented! I could basically “smell” spies about to backstab me and rare was the pyro who could out-circlestrafe me…
      And even though I hadn’t played for over a year, a couple of months ago I played it again for a day, and after a couple of rounds they couldn’t take me from the top-spot again :) Granted that wasn’t the high-skill server, but it’s cool that I quickly get the feel and instincts back.

Best moment? A 21 kill spree, I basically placed myself behind the mine-cart in the first map with them and pushed it all the way up to the finish and I never died :) 15 minutes of glorious battle, people dying all around me, I never had a medic for long, and at times it was just me praying behind the cart trying to not get spotted until I killed them :)

8. Casimir Effect says:

Back in the day I could play a mean game of UT (original and 2004). But it’s been so long I’d hate to think what’s happened to all my skill.

• Yawny says:

UT and UT2k4 here as well. No other shooters can keep me interested for long enough to master all the maps…

9. skyturnedred says:

I was really good at Action Half-life at some point. Now, not so much. Also, none of my friends can beat me at Tekken.

• YourMessageHere says:

Teamplay? I was an AHL DM fiend. I only know of two people who could routinely beat me.

• skyturnedred says:

DM all the way. AHL still remains my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time.

• YourMessageHere says:

Did you ever play UK servers? I probably know you, if you did. I was always YourMessageHere; ICI’s DM server and Ladnet were my usual stamping grounds.

Nothing else has really touched the sheer excitement/fun of AHL. So very far ahead of its time in mechanics…so many games that are kind of like it but missing some crucial features…

• TailSwallower says:

I was quite an accomplished pistol sniper in Action Quake 2 – just at the LANs my friends and I used to run, not on public servers. But then I discovered bunny-hopping with the shotgun…

Never got in to Action Half-Life. It was like they took the simple, pure addictive goodness of AQ2 and cut it with all kinds of nonsense that diluted it. Then again, I never got into HL or any of the other mods (I never liked Counter-Strike, which could have something to do with it stealing all of my friends away from AQ2).

• Lamellama says:

I was good at jumping in AQ2.

could do all the insane jumps, it gave you a good advantage but I wasn’t much good at shooting.

Wisq says:

I did Action Half-Life, but pretty much exclusively teamplay. My talents were throwing knives / handcannon, always with the stealth slippers, and my favourite risky-but-worth-it tactic was to sneak up behind high-up snipers and jump-kick them out the window to their deaths. ;)

In a slightly similar vein, I now specialise in TF2 Heavy + fists + sneaking up on people and punching them to death before they realise what’s going on. It’s not nearly as effective as my AHL sneaky tactics were, but it’s still pretty darn fun.

10. Metonymy says:

8 pages of everyone talking, no one listening. Calling it now.

I am best at NOTHING! And oh so opinionated.

• Berzee says:

It’s fun to go back and read them all later, but you’re right — a dearth of long reply threads is to be expected. (As on all “talk about YOURSELF” threads, I s’poze).

• Bull0 says:

Implying not every comment thread is a long list of everyone talking, nobody listening

Except actually it’s everybody talking, nobody listening, a few dedicated trolls trolling

• Berzee says:

Scanning the posts now I’m pleased to be somewhat surprised!

11. Ross Angus says:

I am best at mucking about, while the NPCs talk at me. Plant-pot on the desk, a-hoy!

12. kikito says:

Taunting at Street Fighter.

Dan Hibiki is my main, and I wouldn’t even consider using any other character. It would feel dirty.

13. Berzee says:

I played on the PvP server for Asheron’s Call, and I always managed to be the gimpiest character for my level (as well as one of the slowest-levelling!) but my special skill was that while everyone in the world was trying to kill me (except the anti-PKs whom I love) I was suspiciously good at typing frantically while running for my life, trying with my silver tongue to make my enemy a friend before one of his lightning arcs landed.

It worked more often than you might think, and I had a long friends list full of otherwise ruthless killers who would sometimes come to my rescue because I was a funny little man.

(This is also where I gained my 100+ wpm typing speed — Mavis Beacon is less motivating than a guy with a crippling blow takuba).

• Berzee says:

Well shoot, I reply failed and now my comment is lost to the too-many-posts monster. Long story short, it’s not f2p afaik but they do still have regular updates and they made a way for all the old outdated quests to become relevant and fun to do again (tikola’s dagger, green mire cuirass, dungeon muddy, etc…).

Didn’t you know the only way to be uber is to start with the hitpoints of a small rabbit? =P (I’m guessing ignorance of that is what gimped you =P).

14. chromeshelter says:

I have leet aiming skillz. Any game, all games.
    Probably thanks to the countless hours “wasted” with Q3 back in the days :)

• Akimbo says:

I am so bad at aiming, I can’t play a sniper ever, in any game. I am, however, extremely good in knowing where to place myself and just how to move in FPS, so the two counteract.

• NooklearToaster says:

@akimbo I completely understand, any time I try and use a sniper rifle it’s like I’ve completely forgotten which end of the gun is dangerous.

But then somehow I’m the god-king of iron sights. I can score at least five headshots across the map in BC2 with the revolver before I have to reload, and assault rifles become precision weapons in my hands. It’s not even the scope on a sniper rifle that throws me off; I always, ALWAYS use an ACOG whenever I’m given the choice. I wish I understood how this works, but I’ve never been able to make sense of it.

• MadMatty says:

im definetly in the manshoot area, thx to about 80 000 counterstrike player kills and quake 3. Its not that im that great an aimer, though im decent, i just have a knack for suckering players to stick their head out at the wrong moment.
      Im also okay at just about any driving game, and pretty mediocre at RTS´

theres my E-Peeen!

15. kupocake says:

My jumping and running skills served me well in the twitch shooter years, to the extent that when I have the choice, I usually stick to building quick characters. First Deus Ex 3 augmentations I got were running and Jumping options, and I usually stick to thieves and their agile pals in the few proper PC RPGs I’ve attempted to get into.

That said, I simply can’t get my head around playing the Scout in TF2.

16. povu says:

Modding Bethesda’s games.

Also being extremely conservative with ammo and resources in all games, refusing to use any consumable items that improve resistance/strength/whatever because ‘I might need them later’. And then I reach the end of the game and I still have an inventory filled with those items.

• Ross Angus says:

Amen. I hears you. About the ammo, I mean. No idea about modding.

P7uen says:

I feel like crying! I’m not alone!

• Wunce says:

I made it to the end of Amnesia with over 50 tinder boxes. Toughing it out in the dark was preferable to consuming those precious sources of light!

I did something similar when I saved up about 120 ammunition of the most powerful weapon for the final boss of Dead Space whilst playing on “impossible” difficulty (considering I beat it, the term is a little misleading). I crumpled that bastard in under 15, yet I still thought saving up that amount of ammo was a good idea.

Its a compulsion I tell you!

• nk says:

Hey ! You have to be prepared for that boss fight AFTER the boss fight… So yeah basically I also carry around an ever-growing bunch of consumables until the game ends (or my inventory explodes).
      You never know, right ?

• AyeGill says:

i kinda have the same problem, although only if the item is in any way limited in supply. Obviously you can only find so many tinderboxes in Amnesia, so i never ever used those, but stimpaks in post-dead money new vegas are more plentiful than bottlecaps

• Soon says:

I do this too. And similarly, it’ll be why my level 100 character will have 99 unspent skill points, or something. It’s also why I need to get the lowest symbol count in SpaceChem – it can be a painful affliction.

• Skabooga says:

I too am extremely conservative in my use of limited resources in games. It definitely started at a young age with me: I can remember beating Super Mario Bros 3 with all three lines of power-up slots filled with leafs and fire flowers. The majority of my playthrough of Deus Ex, I had 30 bioelectric cells in my inventory. (Use my augs? are you crazy? I may need them at some point).

Although it might just be an innate trait, I’d like to think that this conservationist approach learned from video games is responsible for the pleasant state of my personal finances.

• Berzee says:

lol, I do the same =P it’s especially great in fantasy-ish RPGs, say Oblivion or somesuch…where I come across an unexpected enemy who smacks me for 60% of my health and then I say, “WAIT!!!”

time freezes while I pop open a cold frosty potion and drink it down…followed by another…another and still another. when time unfreezes I’m making suspicious sloshing noises, am at full health, have about six glowing auras competing for dominance around me, am invisible, resistant to all forms of damage, supernaturally strong, faster than a puma, and accompanied by a friendly ghost.

• MadMatty says:

You know, i always end up with a bunch of boosters i havent spent at the end of the game aswell!

As for ammo, i think my style is called “pray n spray” ;)
      Tried to get the ammo scavenging trait in Fallout 3, but alas, my char´s luck is too low.

amishmonster says:

Haha, yes, I have the same trait/problem. Especially in games with crafting, I’ll never sell anything unless I know for a fact that it’s just “vendor trash”. I hate inventory size limits for this reason.

Weirdly, I kind of find myself doing it in real life as well. I have a bottle of my favorite-smelling soap, for instance, and I just kind of hoard it rather than, y’know, enjoying it and BUYING MORE. It’s very silly.

17. busfahrer says:

This probably isn’t what you were looking for, but a few years ago I was kind of adept in IRC trivia. Not so much the knowing of stuff (what they aren’t really about), but the fast processing, reaction and typing required. I used to say “the question has to go from your eyes directly into your fingers”

18. Jams O'Donnell says:

Give me an assault rifle at long range in a realistic-ish shooter like BF2 and you’ll be glad to have me on your team/sad to have me on the other team. Put me at close range though and I’ll just fruitlessly hammer all my rounds into whatever part of the target is most heavily armoured.

19. Miodrag Kovachevic says:

I’m excellent at ditch efforts.

Is my only chance to turn around a fighting game a desperate super move? I pull it off.

Is my my only chance to win in Magic: the Gathering dictated by an insane plan that could easily backfire, but I’m doomed anyway? It will work.

Am I a lone Medic with the Payload inches away from victory and only 10 seconds on the timer? I’ll push it that last inch with übersaw in hand.

It obviously backfires, but more often than not, these highly dramatic ditch efforts work and inspire ragequit and hatemail.

20. wccrawford says:

Sniper. It seems to be my calling. I remember being able to headshot at 1.5 miles in Delta Force. The max range on the gun was supposed to be .5 miles.

I also tend to be a good healer. You’d think this would be easy, but time and again I’ve been one of the best healers around, where most healers were really bad at what they did.

• codename_bloodfist says:

I agree with sniper, although perhaps not in terms of sheer marksmanship. I really like setting up ambushes, even if it means waiting for minutes before anyone even shows up. The one game I really excelled at was the original Flashpoint. You find a nice cosy bit of undergrowth or, even better, a corpse, lie over it and wait for someone to just stumble across your part of the island. It worked to a lesser extend on BF2’s Wake Island, but never really topped Flashpoint for me.

• roryok says:

I used to be a sniper too, but any game I’ve tried it in the last few years just hasn’t done it for me. Actually Delta Force was the last one I remember as a truly great sniper game.

I think I’m going to start a forum thread about truly great sniper games

EDIT:
      Should have searched first. Here’s one we made earlier apparently!

21. djbriandamage says:

As a marginally sociable teenager I became quite adept at talking\feigning interest on the phone with one hand while playing Mortal Kombat 1 with the other. Thanks to the numeric keypad I could do combos, special moves, and fatalities one-handed with scary proficiency, even while multitasking.

22. MadZab says:

I am likely the best Oni player around. I feel so lonely here at the top…

23. Serekh says:

Metonymy might be right, but I’ll give it a shot anyway. My best skill was easily guild/outfit/clan/corp leading (But not Fleet Command Jim, I left that to the aggressive players!). When I first started in Planetside at the age of 13 I was a poor leader, it was my way or the highway and the turnover rate was quite high.

Over the years and games though I actually learned how to lead, to mediate disputes and delegate tasks, how to give people both a vision of what we could be and an organized path on how to get there. I learned that jokes and a helping hand get you a lot further and caustic remarks (Although those are still fun on occasion) and how to get people to do things very much like work in their free time.

I think that’s really what I’ll take away from games if I ever stop playing, the skills I developed in virtual worlds has helped me quite a lot in this one.

24. MrMud says:

Im a fairly good WoW raid leader.
    Also ok at figuring out new mechanics (I was the first to figure out how Thunderfury’s threat generation in WoW vanilla worked, and had this be incorporated into various threat calculating ui modifications).

25. Kelduum Revaan says:

I’m probably best at running a corp in EVE… Someone had to do it, and I ended up with the job of running what is now the 3rd biggest corporation in the game.

• MiniMatt says:

And a generally well liked and respected one at that, arguably a far more impressive feat :o)

(assuming you’re that Kelduum)

26. Stepout says:

I’m the best at hitting the quickload button when I meant to hit the quicksave button and vice versa.

• chromeshelter says:

haha, yeah, that happens _all the time_ :)

i was glad that Deus Ex 3 moved the ql button to f8 by default (it was f6 in the original game if i recall it correctly), but i still managed to screw it up 2 times :D

27. Milky1985 says:

I’m would say i’m best at working out tactics for battles and manging small squads of people/ai/things, i’m hopeless at full RTS games due to not being able to micromanage or do the whole build up the base while attacking thing (captain turtle is my favorite way of playin them) but i tend to be good at identifing how people/AI go for the attack and suggesting how best to beat them.

Basically i suck at starcraft but was good at world in conflict.

unfortantly in games where i am good at this the playerbase is best described as “lively” (read, bunch of twats) so if you suggest a tactic other than “run in and hit things/blow things up/shoot things” you get scorned and kicked so don’t get much chance

Other games i’m good at due to this is the advance wars series, but that might e becasue whenever i play my mates at it the they have never played before so i end up just steamrolling them as they go “ohh big tank, much get that”

28. Unaco says:

Nade-Fu.

Making Oblivion characters that look like James Earl Jones from Conan the Barbarian.

Running off to save myself when the sh*t hits the fan in ArmA… Usually getting lost in the woods, and killed by the Predator.

29. Jharakn says:

My twitch skills are mediocre at best but I do class myself as an above avarage redstone wizard in minecraft. My fully automatic piston driven minecart station with self balancing cross-station minecart storage was quite impressive even if I say so myself.

30. Gesadt says:

im good eve solo pvper. but i dont play it anymore

31. Orija says:

This is embarrassing. I’m really good at finding camping spots in multiplayer fps games. Also good at sneaking past enemy lines in games like BF.

• gwathdring says:

A useful skill indeed!

That was always fun. Setting an enemy base to neutral, planting explosives on all the vehicles and ditching before the latest batch of spawns turns around to retake the point was a fun way to give the front-liners time to get to my position. :)

I’m not brilliant at it compared to other players, but I’m a lot better at traps and ambushes than I am at most other gaming pursuits. Mostly because I have a very good internal clock. Without looking at the stopwatch, I know how much better/worse I did on a Trackmania map/lap down to .5 second precision (admittedly less than useful in Trackmania where it’s the .05 that wins you the race … and since there’s a clock at the bottom of the screen :P). Outside of gaming, if I ask myself how much time has passed since the last time I looked at a clock (and if I have been distracted as opposed to specifically counting down minutes/seconds) I can usually get within 30 seconds of how long it’s been out to around an hour of passed time. If I can figure out which route a player is going to take, I can usually time their doom without watching. It helps for killing cloaked spies on 2Fort as well, catching them as they try to stalk across the bridge after giving themselves away on the battlements.

32. CaLe says:

I’m consistently top on the leaderboards for any FPS I play.. thanks, 6 years of competitive Counter-Strike!

33. Unclepauly says:

I was one hell of a Sniper/shotgun wielder in Halo2(42 kills 1 death was my best). Considering it was controlled with a .. controller I’m pretty proud of that. I will never put that much time into a controller based shooter ever again.

34. SalsaShark says:

I had a talent for treachery in Eve Online but i started to think i was a bad person so stopped playing as that was really the only draw for me. I consider myself talented as i could afford anything i wanted and had three accounts i payed for with plex.

• Cunzy1 1 says:

I have an excellent talent for betrayal. I’ll bluff and double bluff you but it is inevitable I will betray you somehow. I excel at betrayal in games that don’t allow friendly fire in particular.

I also have a talent for throwing grenades. My gamer friends today still talk about how the clinking noise of grenades bouncing around in Quake 2 still gives them the jeebies.

35. Freud says:

When I had the time and patience to singularly focus on a game I was in top clans in shooter games and top guilds in WoW. I’ve always been very quick at figuring out how games work and what is the best way to excel at them coupled with good hand-eye coordination.

These days I don’t have the energy to get stuck in a single game (he said unknowingly six months before Diablo 3) for a long time.When I played UT/Battlefield/WoW I missed so many good games because I had no time to play anything else. So now I am playing more and more single player games avoiding some of the multiplayer traps, seeing as how I have a slightly compulsive personality.

36. lightswitch37 says:

For some reason I’m not too good at shooters. But when I was at the peak of my Soul Caliber III ability, no one I knew could take me down.

37. MadTinkerer says:

I consider myself pretty good at TF2, though not professional grade.

38. atticus says:

Powerslide. Slid all over that thing.

And Death Rally. When I finished the game on difficulty “Petrol In My Veins”, I became a legend to myself.

Anthile says:

Despite being a misanthrope, I happen to be a very good medic. Talking about wasted talent.

40. Sonny B says:

I tend to be a pretty good healer in most games In both RPG’s and FPS’s alike

41. Pani says:

I played WoW for the first 2 and a bit years that it was around and my main was a warlock. Due to guilds chopping and changing, I ended up comparably under-geared in a high-end guild and got in one of their Naxx raids. I absolutely shined on Patchwerk (just pure dps over an extended time), only coming behind a super-geared mage and rogue on the dps tables. I had his abilities down to an art form.

42. MaXimillion says:

I used to be a walking encyclopedia about City of Heroes back when I played it, knowing pretty much everything there was to know about both the mechanics and content. I was still not all that great at actually playing it though.

Apart for that, I’ve not really developed any special talents with a game that I can think of.

43. Mormacil says:

Shotgun ninja. I’m that guy that pops up in your flank and shoot you a few times in the face before disappearing again. Also if I warm up I’m a great TF2 heavy.

• Maldomel says:

So that was you! I’m torn between admiration and hate for people like you. One hand it takes some guts to pull that, on the other most of the time it seems like a desperate and no-brain tactic.

Thermal Ions says:

Now you can’t just throw a comment out there about downloading DLC without actually at least dropping some hints as to what DLC?

I’m sure I’m the champion of not finishing games.

45. aircool says:

Hmm, probably blowing myself up in online FPS’s. Can’t seem to get the hang of throwing a grenade without it rebounding off something to land at my feet. The amount of times I’ve been autokicked from servers for fratricide is too numerous to count.

46. V. Profane says:

I was surprisingly good at the flying parts in Turrican II.

47. Quizboy says:

Demon’s Souls taught me, and Dark Souls is currently reinforcing, that I’m almost pathologically persistent even in the face of multiple failures, and no real idea what I’m doing wrong. And also that I’m a masochist. That’s a talent. Who says it’s not.

48. Tony M says:

I was good at making 40 cents stretch a long way on an arcade machine. Only choose games that reward skill with long playtime. Never continue. Then practice practice practice. Silkworm was my favorite, I played the Jeep, my friend flew the Helicopter.

49. ChainsawCharlie says:

I’ve got nack for turrets in BF games.

50. Gundrea says:

I was a decent healer and bossy enough to lead instances back in the day.

In multiplayer I specialise in drowning the enemy in my corpses. I always lead kamikaze attacks, ninjaing towers in Alterac, leading groups of enemies away from the frontlines, crashing helicopters into fortified guard towers. At LANs the higher my deathcount the more my team wins.