It’s… The Last-Ever Arkham City Trailer!

By Alec Meer on October 14th, 2011 at 5:29 pm.

Oh come on, there's no way that can provide even the slightest optical benefit

Well, maybe. Suppose it depends on whether they squeak out any particularly tasty DLC. With the game due for release on the unantialiased darklands of console next week and currently drawing huge review scores – but sadly delayed on PC – its constant torrent of promotional videos is now capped off by this launch-ish trailer. It’s very dramatic! It implies Batman facing his darkest challenge since all the other dark challenges he’s faced and will no doubt continue to face! It features some slightly troubling voice acting!

It also looks rather cracking, which makes me only grumpier that we’ll have to wait a few weeks to play it on our faithful game-towers.

What a lot of bad men to fight! But, er… The Penguin. Might need to have words about him. Where exactly is he supposed to be from again?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. kikito says:

Penguin monocle = coke bottle bottom, right?

Is there going to be crafting on this game, or what?

• Zenicetus says:

I read somewhere that with this Penguin, it’s supposed to be a broken bottle that was stabbed into his eye and couldn’t be removed safely.

It’s the wrong eye for the classic monocle look ( as another person here mentioned), but the Danny DeVito movie version had it on the left eye too.

2. Fierce says:

Yay, Poison Ivy is back!

I had no idea she’d be in this one too. PC Delay Grumpiness increased!

3. Schadenfreude says:

I don’t even mind the delay, it’s the fact that there’s only three days between this and Skyrim. All the good games like to bunch up and it makes me sad. :(

• Deano2099 says:

Wouldn’t worry, am sure Skyrim will get delayed on PC.

• bill says:

Surely it’s better that way. Instead of buying Arkham at full price now and then buying Skyrim at full price later, you can buy one at full price, play that, and by the time you finish the other will have dropped in price.

Especially for single player games.

(but maybe that’s just me… and I just started Mass Effect… but it was very cheap!)

4. Deano2099 says:

Bet the trailer footage is from the PC version too.

• Fierce says:

Probably not. Too much aliasing when he’s putting on the suit.

• Monkeh says:

I think it’s about time they tell us the PC releasedate. :(

• xGryfter says:

@Monkeh

Amazon says Nov. 15th and Greenman Gaming (where I bought it from) says Nov. 8th so it’s probably safe to say it will be coming out sometime between Nov. 8th and Nov. 15th. ;) (in the US anyway)

5. daraujo says:

So many villains. Almost like they’re never ever going to do another Batman game.

Maybe they’re in the 2012 Armageddon crowd.

6. JonClaw says:

Awesome trailer.

Has Rocksteady answered why the PC version has been delayed? Or is this yet another case of “console sale optimization”?

• Inigo says:

They’re busy tweaking the GFWL integration to make sure it’ll fuck the game up as much as possible.

7. airtekh says:

Ooo I’m getting properly excited about this.

• MrThingy says:

Me too. In fact, this the only game I’ve really been excited about since DX:HR.

Can’t wait. :)

8. Chris D says:

I loved Arkham Asylum, and am fully expecting to love this too, but the way they’re buggering about with DLC and pre-order bonuses means I’m thinking I might just wait for the GOTY edition just so I know I can get everything in one place. It’s not like there’s going to be a shortage of stuff to be playing.

• KlaxonOverdrive says:

This, too, is my plan. I’m still not done Deus Ex yet anyway.

• mjig says:

Why not just buy the game and pirate the DLC? The company still gets your $50, and a sale, and you get the DLC that you were never going to really pay for anyway.

• Chris D says:

@mjig

Well, it would be a bit hypocritical of me considering what I said about pirates in another thread last week, but I think my view is that I am intending to pay for the DLC eventually, just not at the price they’re asking right now.

Regardless of your stance on piracy I think the practical reason is that publishers only really pay attention to sales figures, so a sale is essentially a vote. If you buy a game on the basis that you’ll just pirate the DLC or crack the DRM you’re giving up your voice on that issue, the publishers don’t know if you’re pirating or not, what they’re hearing is “I’m ok with this.” If we want to see change in the industry then voting with our wallet is pretty much the only way to do it.

• mjig says:

Well in regards to post game DLC, I think not buying it counts as just as much of a vote, and with release DLC, I am willing to have to spend a few minutes pirating it than waiting a year for GOTY edition.

9. obvioustroll says:

You said “torrent”, I am now officially allowed to pirate this, that was the agreement.

Of course, I can’t, because as we all know there is no piracy on the consoles…

• Cyberpope says:

he said cracking too! oh that’s a free ticket if ever i saw one

10. Shooop says:

The nVidia card I recently bought came with a free digital copy of this game. It pleases me.

Only question is how long will this game end up being? They’ve got almost every major villain crammed in it which means it’s either going to be 40 hours long or you’ll run into one every 10 minutes.

• Cyberpope says:

yes i got one o them too. Im slightly concerned about this catwoman nonsense though. what we have is a code for the game from a graphics card. where is exactly is the special exclusive club for exclusives code going to come from.

• Shooop says:

The code from nVidia is just a Steam code you put in on a link they send to your email and you get to download the game whenever it’s released.

I don’t know anything about some exclusive club and whatnot.

• HothMonster says:

irrc they said about 25 hours of content with side missions and what not. Though I spent the first two hours of the game just walking around beating up large groups of people, so I imagine my playthrough will be significantly longer

11. Ogun says:

That Penguin voice/accent really is Dick Van Dyke terrible :(

Vandelay says:

Cor blimey g’vner! That Penguins a right on’ and thats the truth… Apples and pairs.

Everything else looks excellent. Can’t wait for this one (except, I have to.)

• Yargh says:

Nolan North has said that he particularly enjoyed hamming up the Penguin Accent for this game.

• mondomau says:

I believe you meant ‘apples and pears’, old boy.

*Adjusts Monocle*

Vandelay says:

Shh… I don’t think anyone noticed.

13. DigitalSignalX says:

Frankly disappointed by this launch trailers lack of Inception BWWRAAAAAMMMMM sounds.

14. Iskariot says:

The way in which DLC and pre-order bonuses are handled makes me more and more distrustful of gaming companies these days. It feels too much like money grabbing greed and I don’t accept that.

I planned to buy this on day one, because it is without a doubt a more than excellent game, just like Arkham Asylum was, but I am thinking about waiting for the GOTY now. I am not sure yet. The actual Batman DLC are not as bad as the stuff Bioware or Bethesda did. Those were really annoying.
    I also regret buying Deus Ex HR on day one. This upcoming DXHR DLC represents everything I hate about DLC these days. It removes content that should have been in the game from the start and tries to sell it to us for far too much money.

I think I will wait and see where Rocksteady is going with their DLC. If they do the same money grabbing as Bioware en Bethesda did, then I will wait for the cheap and complete GOTY edition. In any case this won’t be a day one purchase for me anymore.

• Emeraude says:

The way they’ve handled the Catwoman DLC was the last straw for me. It was my most anticipated game of the year and I won’t be getting it. There’s no way I’ll support a company that does this.

• Optimaximal says:

If you’re talking about the ‘Online Pass’ thing, who cares? You were either going to a) buy it from Steam or b) buy it from somewhere else with its single-use Games for Windows: Live key.

The uproar doesn’t really apply to us because there was no resale market in the first place!

• Emeraude says:

a) I never buy from STEAM or any DD service that might restrict access to my games in any way. I boycott STEAMWORKS games on principle.
      b) Just because it wouldn’t affect me (and it does, because that scheme diminish the resale value of my game) right now doesn’t mean I want to support that initiative in any way. Because you can bet if this comes to pass it *will* affect me later.

I don’t like GFW but unless it has changed since last I was forced cope with it, it doesn’t restrict my right to lend or resell my game in any way. Five people played my copy of Arkham Asylum. Three ended up buying it.

15. Tei says:

Is a bit sad that consoles force devs to use low res graphics. Watching this video give me a mix of Bleergh! and Greeeeat!. Seeing blurry textures on this game is painfull, because looks like could be a gem. Could be, who knows? maybe on the end is just a serie of scripted events.

Vandelay says:

I always find it looks so weird seeing some fantastic texturing and animation on the character faces, in the middle of horrid, blurry, low detailed texture work.

16. Blackseraph says:

I might get this to be able to play as a catwoman. Don’t much care about batman.

Though do we have to suffer GfWL for this too, never got first game because of that.

17. Emeraude says:

Hmmmm….

asfsgbh and zhmmff

Spammers.

18. Kill_The_Drive says:

“GFWL, not interested”

“I hate Steam”

Idiots.

• Navagon says:

Yes, idiots who don’t like having to replay the entire game from scratch just because GFWL wilfully fucked with their save games just for the hell of it. Or GFWL’s inability to update games properly. The fact that it barely has a clue that it might need to let you log in before trying to activate a game for your account. Or the fact that it throws in a mandatory update during the account creation process – buggering up said account. Or the sheer fucking time it takes to log into the the damn thing when you don’t even want it in the first place. Such pettiness.

• Shooop says:

Though I haven’t had issues with it myself, there’s lots of complaints all around about GFWL screwing people out of their saved games.

I’d call that a pretty valid complaint.

• Emeraude says:

“People have different priorities than mine.”

“Idiots.”

19. Blackcompany says:

Wonder which store you have to pre-order from to get the Penguin with the monocle on the other eye?

20. Navagon says:

GFWL claims another victim. :(

21. Crea says:

Awesome sauce.

22. AmericasArmy1 says:

h

23. AmericasArmy1 says:

Hello

24. videogangs says:

Nice, got this chucked in free with my GTX 590, loved the first one so this might actually be able to tear me away from BF3 :-)

25. bigdawgwtf says:

Wikipedia article says Penguin is one of Batman’s oldest enemies. I don’t understand what you’re asking.