The Salad Days: Hegemony Rome

By Adam Smith on October 14th, 2011 at 9:49 am.

Conquer this brown land, I say!

Gather round to hear a tale never before told! There was this general, Caesar, and he conquered a huge region that went by the name of Gaul, fighting off potion-swilling men of wildly varying proportions and taking control of awesome military power. With the great name he made for himself, and the awesome military power he controlled, Caesar triumphed in a civil war and became dictator of the most powerful empire in the world. Then (Spoiler Alert) people stabbed him. A lot. Now you can be Caesar but without the puncturing perfidy of his later life. Hegemony Rome: Rise of Caesar is an indie RTS about the conquest of Gaul and Ceasar’s time as a great general. Judging by Longbow Games previous Hegemony titles, it’ll offer a surprising amount of tactical depth. Here’s a trailer with a bit of Placentia in it.

Yes, yes, yes, it’s not the most thrilling trailer in the world. But what it doesn’t actually tell you, and it’s not clear if you haven’t played a Hegemony before, is that the maps are as seamless as shown, zipping from the more abstract strategic view to the tactical bird’s eye view on the fly. Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece was a great game, which offered pleasing tactical flexibility without becoming bogged down in complexity. There is basic construction and the use of supply lines, which has been expanded allowing starvation of enemy settlements and armies. Brutal. But I do like conquering Gauls.

I shall have to wait until Spring 2012 though, but will certainly be taking a closer look as soon as possible. Now, argue about whether they are right to say that he returned an “Emperor”.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Crimsoneer says:

No village of indomitable Gaulles with magic potion in the South? NO SALE!

2. pupsikaso says:

I played the first Hegemony game. I was VERY impressed with it and played it for a long time, but eventually I just gave up because it seemed like the map was just too big, all the towns and cities to capture were uncountable, and worse, after a certain point in the game you’d just kept repeating the same thing over and over again for every new town you’d need to capture.
    In other words, it got too repetitive long before the game was over.
    But I did love it while it lasted!

Has anyone played the later games and can tell me if this is still a problem with the series?

• PleasingFungus says:

The first game was the only game, to date. What they did is make Hegemony Gold, which added diplomacy (!) and a few other things. I haven’t played it myself (I was a bit burned out on the game, having had pretty much the same experience with it that you did), but it seems likely that it would have solved some of the issues of endless repetition.

• Adam Smith says:

Yeah, there’s only really been one game – I referred to games because the Gold version had so much new that I managed to sink plenty of time into both that and the original. Repetition is still a problem in the late game and we’re getting an even larger map this time out, but hopefully there’ll be plenty more to do. Time shall tell and, once I know, so shall I.

3. Finn says:

Er… Asterix’s village is in the northwestern coast of France:

Silly silly Crimsoneer.

4. Quxxy says:

For anyone interested in the history of Rome, there are two podcasts that I really enjoy on the subject.

Hardcore History – Death Throes of the Republic. This starts with the Gracchus brothers and follows through ’til after Julius Caesar’s assassination. Dan Carlin gives the story a lot of energy and is a blast to listen to. Especially when he quotes someone else. :P Julius comes to prominence around part VI.
    The History of Rome. Starts with the founding of Rome and is still ongoing today; I’m still trying to catch up. The podcast goes into a great deal of historical detail and is good “listening in the background whilst playing Minecraft” material. The stuff on Julius Caesar really gets going around episode 39 (currently on page 3).

Enjoy!

• Adam Smith says:

Good shout. Both excellent – The History of Rome feels like a lifetime’s worth of listening already.

• Soulstrider says:

Great sugestions, I will try the The History of Rome one.

Hmmm wouldn’t you know any good podcasts about Byzantine and Persian history? They are subjects that I really enjoy

Telemikus says:

The Dan Carlin podcast linked above is truly impressive. I had to check this in my head a few times before typing this next bit but I feel pretty confident that it’s a more immersive history experience for me than the games or books on the subject, and I’ve played and read plenty.

The History of Rome podcast is a true labour of love for it’s creator. Mike Duncan has achieved a remarkable feat considering the breadth of Rome’s history.

Once you’ve finished that you can move on to ‘The History of Byzantium’ podcast by Robin Pierson, which aims to recreate the tempo and pacing of Mike Duncan effort and does a marvellous job to boot.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

There’s this one: http://12byzantinerulers.com/

I liked it a lot, but it’s been a while since I last listened to it. There are also a couple of short videos at the bottom.

• Reefpirate says:

Thank you, sir! I’m mildly interested in this game… But those podcasts are fantastic. I had no idea such series existed out there in the matrix. It makes perfect sense that they would… But still.

I’m now going to listen to these in the background as I replay some Rome: Total War, probably as the house Julii :)

5. Firkragg says:

Brilliant, I still haven’t finished my Macedon campaign yet. Excellent game, though the only thing that really annoyed me was how static all factions were. I don’t know if it would have added more workload, but if only the other factions could fight between themselves, taking regions and such. Otherwise a very lovely game.
    In my current (and first) campaign I think I’ve clocked in around 40-50 hours of play. As you can imagine, campaign is a bit slow going but I like the pace, especially after a stressful day at work and you just need to order around some men in tunics. Though those bloody Athenians are a real nuiseance (spelling?), had to make peace with them as soon as possible, historical correct or not be damned!

6. Dammokles says:

Adam raises an excellent point. Caesar was never emperor. The Senate turned him into a pincushion before he got the chance.

7. Eightball says:

Day 1 pre-order.

8. TC-27 says:

Caesar was appointed ‘Dictator (a formal position in the Republican constitution) for life’ which in affect made him Emperor/King though he never publically claimed this title.

Even this relatively subtle approach saw him murdered by a bunch of reactionary Roman senators hence his adopted son Octavian took a much more obtuse approach to absolute power.

I played the Philip of Macedon version of this game – was slightly put off by the re-spawnign enemies and the micro-management needed in the late game – will keep an eye on this though.

9. theleif says:

I hope they implement some way to hand control of some of your units over to the AI to defend a certain territory. Constantly having to defend my conquered land from raiders drained my stamina. Otherwise, Hegemony Gold is a very nice game indeed.

10. Jimbo says:

I thought Hegemony was brilliant, especially as a first attempt. There was obviously a lot of room for improvement but it had some really smart ideas and a nice flow to it. I haven’t played the Gold version, but I will definitely buy Rome.