The RPS Bargain Bucket: Here

By Lewie Procter on October 15th, 2011 at 2:05 pm.

Here’s the Bargain Bucket: The Bargain Bucket is here. Filled with tonnes of heavily discounted PC games, ready for you to play as soon as you can download them. This week’s selection highlights how much digital distribution has created a lucrative opportunity for PC developers to have an extended long tail on their earnings, by discounting games to impulse-buy prices after the initial full price boom. For always up to date intel on what games are cheap, you can count on SavyGamer.co.uk.

Alpha Protocol – £1.85 (probably UK only)
I seem to remember people saying that ShopTo downloads only worked in the UK, but by all means give it a try and report back if you’re trying to buy from elsewhere in the world. Here’s just a slice of what John thought:

The level of customisation is quite remarkable, each of the huge number of guns and pieces of armour able to be tweaked to your satisfaction. Then all the stats previously mentioned, combined with the relationships you choose, and the people you ally with, means that huge amounts have been achieved.

The beginning is just awful, but the three main cities offer a great deal of entertainment. Of course they’re frustrated by the issues above, and it’s inescapable that the core action-shooter mechanics are mostly mediocre. But I still immediately started it again once it was finished. That’s got to count for something.

Full thing is here.

Tomb Raider: Legend – £2.71/€3.39/$5.09
Tomb Raider: Anniversary – £3.39/€3.39/$3.39
Tomb Raider: Underworld – £3.39/€5.09/$6.79
Take your pick of the recent Lara adventures for cheap. Shame to not see Lara & The GOL discounted too, that’s actually my favourite Tomb Raider for a long time. I’d suggest that Legend is the best of this bunch, and handily here is Mr Walker reminiscing about it over at Eurogamer.

Max Payne 1 + 2 – £2.49/€3.74/$3.74
I’m not too sure if this is available to all regions in Europe, I know some Rockstar games aren’t available in some regions, but I’m not sure if that applies to our man Max. If it does, I bet you could data smuggle your way around it anyway. I imagine this pack is going on sale to help hype up the looming sequel.

Sword of the Stars Complete Collection – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
Another game that’s been heavily reduced to promote an upcoming sequel, here’s Sword of the Stars and all of its expansions for dirt cheap. This is a 4X game that I’ve not tried yet (there are so many games), but it’s always spoken highly of.

Deal of the week
50% off Atari promo at GOG
A pretty wide selection of games at either £1.89/€2.15/$2.99 or £3.15/€3.60/$4.99 a pop. Included is the fabulous voxel alien world of Outcast, CD Projekt’s very own The Witcher, and all the Star Control and Masters of Orion games for just a tiny bit of money. Cracking value, says I.

Also of note:
Democracy 2 – £3.75/€4.28/$5.93
All the Men of Wars for cheap
All THQ games 33% off on Steam
Dawn of War II: Complete Pack – £25/€19.99/$30 (and each thing is individually discounted).

For discounted games pumped directly into your web browser around the clock, get over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. StingingVelvet says:

Dotemu has some point and click classics for 50% off like Syberia and Runaway.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Thought $7.49 looked a bit steep for Siberia, but it’s a twin pack of I & II together. [reconsiders point-at buy-button-and-click]

On a separate note…

If any of you have 2,749 hours to spare for some quality turn-based Fantasy, Beamdog.com have (amongst other sale items) Kings Bounty Crossworlds Game of The Year for the armoured-princessly sum of $6.25.

NOTE: that version includes ‘Armoured Princess’, which is required for playing Crossworlds. (Alternatively, if you ain’t tried the original KB yet, that’s a puny $2.50)

2. Moni says:

The Witcher and Alpha Protocol are both RPGs I was unsure about, but at some point before were only £2, so I snapped them up on impulse and didn’t regret either. True story.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

AP and Witcher are great games that grow on you after each having a bit of a slow start. Impulse however, i deeply regret having bought any games on, as Gamestop really drove it into the ground as everyone projected back when they bought it. Sad story, Stardock had something there.

• Kaldor says:

The Witcher has excellent atmosphere and story, although it is a bit low-burning in the beginning and with some monotonous fighting. It’s still an all-around solid, enjoyable RPG. Apart from the attractive space opera setting, there’s nothing about Mass Effect that I would call superior. There are also some fans who like The Witcher 1 better than The Witcher 2, which is a fair enough opinion, since they simply take slightly different approaches but the quality of the world-design and writing is roughly even.

3. MSJ says:

Rollercoaster Tycoon (the first two games), Independence Wars (both of them) and Blood (both of them) are also cheap in that GOG Atari sale, mind.

Anybody know which of the two Rollercoaster Tycoons are better?

• JonWood says:

1 & 2 are practically identical, but 2 has some extra rides, so you may as well go for that.

• TNG says:

RCT 2 is RCT1 with more rides, scenery and options. My only gripe with RCT2 is that you could no longer charge for park entrance & rides (only one or the other, never both and it was determined by the scenario, not by you) unlike in RCT1 were you had the freedom to play as you wished.
      If you want to buy only one, go for RCT2. Otherwise, buy then both and start playing with RCT1 before moving to RCT2.

• kyrieee says:

Thanks for the tip, I’ve lost my CDs and I love these games. Used to play them on an iMac with Windows 95 sofware emulation!!

• Pointless Puppies says:

I’ve always liked the first game over the second. The second suffers from a pretty iffy implementation of stacking scenery (mostly frustrating because the 2D isometric perspective screwed with depth perception plenty of times), a completely horrible scenario editor, a much worse UI, way too many rides that were just reskins of other rides (all skins, in fact, were separated into their own rides for no real reason), worse scenarios and dreadful expansion pack content.

RCT1 is simpler, but I found practically everything that was added to RCT2 to range from “meh” to downright bad. So I always pick RCT1 :)

4. Snakejuice says:

Couldn’t help myself so bought all 3 Tomb Raider games even though I should buy food for that money. Already bought Alpha Protocol on last 2,50€ sale on Steam! :)

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I just know I can’t be bothered with all of them, but which one you reckon is the best game of the three?

• Xanadu says:

Legend is probably technically the better game, just, as Lewie says above, but Anniversary (remake of TR1) has the nostalgia element that edges it for me. Also if you’re at all interested in the story, then Anniversary-Legend-Underworld is the order to play in. Suggest you buy Anniversary, and if you like it pick up the other 2 next time they’re on sale.
      Bought all of them last time they were on sale and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

• Eclipse says:

weird fact maybe but I’ve enjoyed Underworld the most

• Mman says:

“but which one you reckon is the best game of the three?”

Anniversary easily. Underworld is okay, but full of bugs and weird design reversions (the camera is significantly worse than in Legend and Anniversary for example), and Legend is basically an inferior proto-Uncharted, with a focus on being “cinematic” at the expense of complexity (although it’s breezy enough to be a fun ride the first few times).

• kyrieee says:

I think Anniversary is by far the best game out of the three. I have no idea why Legend gets so much praise. It has a lot of combat (the combat is not good, it’s a TR game), some bad vehiecle sections and not especially challenging puzzles. It feels like it wants to be an action movie. Anniversary on the other hand has very little combat, being a remake of TR1 it barely has any humans in it which I love, you’re just alone with the environment. It also has much more challenging puzzles and platforming. It’s minimalist.

Underworld is like a mix of Legend and Anniversary. I think it’s better than Legend (by a lot) but not as good as Anniversary. It’s a bit buggy, has some camera problems and doesn’t have levels as grand. For example neither Legend nor Underworld have any levels that come close to “St. Francis’ Folly” in Anniversary.

if you’re gonna buy one definitely get Anniversary!

• airtekh says:

@Tusque D’Ivoire

It seems to be a highly subjective topic, from what I’ve read.

I liked Anniversary the most, personally, but all three are very good.

Legend is the shortest, if you’re concerned about time.

• Xocrates says:

Ah, I expected this discussion to show up.

But yeah, as you probably figured out, the “best one” is pretty subjective and depends on what type of gamer you are.

Legend is probably the most technically competent of the three, but other than having Lara in it it’s not a Tomb Raider game.

Anniversary is probably the recommendation for old-school and/or hardcore gamers. It has the nostalgia factor, the longest campaign, and it’s, by far, the hardest one. I will say however, that I personally hated it and almost put me off the series altogether, mostly because past Peru it has a bad case of the browns, and a fetishistic love for timed jumping puzzles, which combined with a murderous camera means that an already hard game becomes often unfairly hard (it’s noteworthy that there’s a section near the end where the default answer to “how do I get past this” is cheat).
      At the current price it might be worth it for the Peru and Greece sections, but I don’t see any justification to play past that.

Underworld is my personal favourite, it does a pretty good job at merging the best of Legend and Anniversary while getting rid of much of the worst (i.e. QTE’s and Boss Fights). That said, it’s short, pretty easy, and very obviously rushed.

So, to sum it up:

Get Legend only if you get at least also Underworld (for the story)

Get Anniversary if you have nostalgia for the original or just want a hard game

Otherwise, get Underworld.

• kyrieee says:

“it’s noteworthy that there’s a section near the end where the default answer to “how do I get past this” is cheat”

You mean the part with the retracting platforms you activate by shooting the things on the walls? Yeah that part’s not super easy :P

• Xocrates says:

And where the checkpoint is before you have to fight two flying creatures which can stun lock you and/or throw you off the tiny platform you’re on, yes, that part.

• jaheira says:

Legend is my favourite of the three ‘cos of the constant chatter between Lara and the team back at the mansion, and the superb level set in the crappy King Arthur museum in Cornwall. Underworld is good too, but the story is less well told. Didn’t like Anniversary at all, it was too quiet and lonely.

• bill says:

I played legend for free when Gametap was usable, and i gave up after about a third. I thought it was pretty terrible, and i then played one of the older TR games on gametap and enjoyed it a lot more.

Take that for what it’s worth…

• Juan Carlo says:

Anniversary is the best. It’s the Tomb Raider game to play if, like me, you haven’t played any games in the series since Tomb Raider 3 and you want to give them a go again for Nostalgia’s sake.

It does have some wickedly, wickedly, hard jumping sections, though–so caveat emptor if you don’t like old school toughness. There was one part, in particular, I couldn’t get until after I watched a youtube video of it.

5. CurlyBrace says:

Max Payne isn’t available on Steam here in Germany, so the offer isn’t either.

• nofing says:

Yes, because it’s on our beloved index (at least the first one is), but from what I’ve heard it’s not available in other European countries, like for example France, either.

• bookwormat says:

It’s available here in Austria. Our government does not object to shooting people in slow motion.

• nofing says:

And that’s how it should be! ;)
      At least we’re now allowed to chainsaw people in half, that seems reasonable…

• _PixelNinja says:

I confirm it’s not available on Steam here. They seem to not want our money.

• zontax says:

It is available here in Holland, just saiyan.

6. MSJ says:

Green Man Gaming has games for 20% off with this coupon:

AUTUM-NSALE-20PEC

Should work with all games.

7. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Is that DoW2 deal actually reasonably discounted in euros for once? £25/€19.99/$30 actually looks proportional for once.

• Dave Mongoose says:

20 Euros is about $27.50, so much better than the all-too-common 1:1 exchange rate.

Unfortunately, £25 is over $39 so they’ve not managed proper price equality yet… although some of that is probably due to VAT.

8. Vandelay says:

Legend is not the best of the newest Tomb Raiders. I would say it was the weakest by quite a stretch. The levels in both Anniversary and Underworld are significantly larger and feel much more open. You also do not have quite as annoying boss battles.

Still, they are all great, so all worth it.

9. Skull says:

I had some great fun with Desperados (from the GoG sale) was one of my favourite games from my childhood years, I think its time to see if it still holds up after all this time.

• TNG says:

Commandos in the Old West. Loved it :)

• Pemptus says:

It does hold up. A much improved Commandos with character. I love it.

• Rehykja says:

Thanks for pointing it out! Was already going for Outcast and Master of Orion 1+2, but I grabbed Desperados too because you pointed it out and it looks fun. :)

10. Megagun says:

Star Control 2 is still completely free, open-source, and available for a wide variety of devices and operating systems. See the official website of the ‘Ur-Quan Masters’ project.

Star Control 1 was a neat game, but it pales in comparison to Star Control 2. Star Control 3 doesn’t exist and I wonder how GOG can be selling it.

The Ur-Quan Masters also contains voice acting, high quality remixes of most of the game’s music, online multiplayer Super Melee, some new content from Toys for Bob, graphical enhancements and enough bugfixes/improvements that make buying the game from GOG.com to get your Star Control 2 fix just plain not worth it. :)

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Star Control 1 was a neat game, but it pales in comparison to Star Control 2.

It’s unfair to compare them at all, since they’re utterly different kinds of games. SC1 is a quick action/strategy thing, while SC2 is a massive adventure game, sharing only the ship-to-ship action elements in common with its predecessor.

As mentioned in the forums, you do get a bunch of extras if you buy from GOG – manuals, the starmap, etc. Definitely worth a few bucks if they’re decent quality.

• Dominic White says:

The manuals and map are available from ReplacementDocs – they’re probably the same scans that GOG use, anyway. But yeah, the fan-made updated version of SC2 is SO much better than the DOS original, it’s really not worth even looking at GOGs version.

• djbriandamage says:

Yes Star Control is available free by means of Ur Quan Masters, but if you enjoy it you should consider paying the very reasonable $3 at GOG this weekend. You get the first 2 games for this piddling sum and they’re well worth it.

• sinister agent says:

I played the fanmade remake – the Ur-Quan Masters – a few years back, and enjoyed it for a while, but got tired of it by I’d guess about halfway in. Just not my sort of game. But it was charming and entertaining and some of the the voice acting is fantastic – one of the first characters you meet, Fwiffo, is particularly entertaining.

• ordteapot says:

“Star Control 3 doesn’t exist”

Maybe this is just a cheeky statement sailing over my head, but I have a copy of Star Control 3. Definitely prefer the adventure stylings of SC2 (and it’s rebirth as the Ur-Quan Masters) though.

• Skabooga says:

Fwiffo was the best! I could never let him die in battles and would always reload if he did just because I couldn’t bear to adventure without him (well, that, and Spathi ships were quite sparse in the armada), even though you never interacted with him after picking him up. Also, the Zot-Fot-Pik have more character then some games have in their whole playthroughs. Those little guys always make me smile.

11. Mario Figueiredo says:

FWIW, the Max Payne bundle is available to Portugal. But truth be told I don’t recall a Rockstar game deal not being available in this area in the past.

>> I’d suggest that Legend is the best of this bunch

Ah, no? :)

I got Underworld. It seems a much more polished game. It’s undeniable that Legend got high praise. While that was indeed deserved for having bringing us Lara Croft series back from a long running series of mediocre games in the past, I believe that greatly influenced Legend ratings. Underworld is in my opinion a superior game. Legend brings the series back by rehearsing what made the first couple of games so good. Underworld stays true to that formula but isn’t afraid of introducing new gameplay elements to bring the series forward. It’s also a gorgeous game to look at.

• DrGonzo says:

I thoroughly enjoyed Legend. But I gave up on Underworld after yet another browny green cave/temple that looked exactly the same as all the other browny green caves I’d been in. My flatmate agrees with you though.

12. Eskatos says:

Sword of the Stars is good stuff. If you like Total War and you like space, you’re gonna like SoTS.

• Vinraith says:

I’d argue SotS is actually a fair bit better than the total war games from a purely strategic perspective. For one thing, the AI actually knows how to play the game.

13. Will Tomas says:

I’m pretty disappointed about the steam sale on Dawn of War 2. The games can be picked up for those prices from Amazon.co.uk, and that’s permanently, not just this weekend. I was hoping that there might be a 75% deal, or maybe even 66%, which would have been more tempting. Selling them on Steam for Amazon prices just isn’t enough for an impulse buy.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

I agree, *BUT* the first 3 versions of Dawn of War 1 are handily wrapped up in the ‘hidden’ Platinum pack:

…making them quite the temptress of a deal for anyone new to the series (and cheaper than any shop/Amazon prices)…

That’s basically the ‘Gold’ pack (original DOW plus first expansion) and ‘Dark Crusade’ all for a fiver (in our UK st£rling-based monies). Demos are there for testing out the Orc-kickage involved.

• zontax says:

I’m tempted to buy DoW, can someone post a one sentence review?

• Xocrates says:

Here’s your review: It’s good! Buy it!

• zontax says:

Ok sending money to GabeN as we speak.

• JagRoss says:

Damn, wish I had seen that, I just wasted $5.

• Thermal Ions says:

The ‘hidden’ Platinum pack, certainly lives up to it’s name – it is only available in some regions (not Australia).

• bill says:

I’ve never seen a huge discount on DoW1 – although they are often on medium discounts.
      I still haven’t seen one though, as it’s $15 from here… and i don’t think that’s close to a fiver these days.

• Juan Carlo says:

The DOW games must sell insanely well, or something. I’ve never seem them with discounts higher than 50% off.

Which kind of sucks as those fall into my “only buy if they reach 75% off” category.

• bill says:

Me too. Mainly because there are so many parts that I feel compelled to collect them all… so I’m waiting for the platinum pack at $5. Don’t think it’ll ever happen…. like CoD4:MW.

14. Eskatos says:

Also I bought Alpha Protocol during the last Steam sale. During the tutorial level I fell through a floor and plunged into an infinite void. After realizing that Alpha Protocol is not actually a fantasy game and I had not been cursed into oblivion I concluded that it is simply a buggy piece of shit.

• malkav11 says:

Did that happen to you consistently? Because it seems a shame to write off an excellent, unique RPG like Alpha Protocol just because you encountered a bug once (an admittedly spectacular one, but still).

• Iskariot says:

How did you feel about the way your character sneaks in Alpha Protocol? I’m referring to the animation.
      Is it me or does it look awful? And adding that to the bugs and general awkwardness of the game I quit playing after having put 8 hours or so into it. At a certain point I just couldn’t stand it anymore.
      A very promising game, but very, very second rate in its execution.

• malkav11 says:

It’s a little weird looking, sure. I don’t know why that would matter, and I didn’t experience any major bugs myself.

• bill says:

You younguns! Falling through level geometry into the void used to be a feature of all 3d games.

15. Mr_Ryman says:

And My current account balnce is… £1.80, better luck next week.

16. Bodylotion says:

Tomb Raider Anniversary at least reminds us a bit of the great original Tomb Raider but it seems like it skipped like 50% of the original game.

• Dominic White says:

It actually does all of the original game (I think it skips the Gold edition bonus levels, though), but progress through it is just so much faster due to the platforming being less Prince of Persia-ish, so it feels half as long.

• Mman says:

It’s not 50% but it’s probably about 25%, including a whole level, to be fair it was the least memorable level in the original and I can’t say I miss it too much, but just cutting it rather than making it more interesting does suggest a lack of either time or imagination (probably the former based on how rushed and truncated the last couple of levels are, along with the relatively short dev-cycle it had). With a few exceptions (where they capture both or neither) Anniversary follows the path of making the level layouts simpler but the puzzles more involved, which I find to have some mixed results, with some levels being much better and others losing a lot of their essence. As a game I consider Anniversary pretty much the best thing to happen to the genre in years, but as a remake I find it somewhat hit and miss.

Which is a shame, as, like I said, it feels like most of the problems were a result of time constraints, and, with an extra year or so to simmer it could have been near-perfect.

17. _PixelNinja says:

I am sad panda the Max Payne games are not available on Steam in my region.

18. LionsPhil says:

So, Outcast.

Opinions? Advocacy? The most famous thing I remember about it was graphics tech, which obviously is not a good leg to stand on as an old game.

• Navagon says:

It’s still a great game today. I recommend it. It’s a damn fine example of an action adventure that does a good job with both the action and adventure aspects. Graphically it’s still interesting. Hard to explain really. It’s like how a painting where you can see the vigorous brush strokes is more interesting than a more refined work.

• sinister agent says:

I had some oddness with the audio – the in-game music was drowning everything else out, but that can be fixed fairly easily – it’s in the forum somewhere I believe.

I played it for the first time a couple of years ago and it holds up very well. Interesting world, freedom to clomp about as you please, some decent voice acting and AI. Exciting fights, too, and a generally “alive” feeling world. I haven’t played it as much as I should have, but it’s well worth a go.

I particularly like its save system – you’re given a special crystal that allows you to create a sort of in-universe save point, but it takes a few seconds to work, during which you’re defenseless and highly visible and audible to any enemies.

• LionsPhil says:

So you can save everywhere except in combat, effectively? (In that you’d probably die if you tried it.)

• sinister agent says:

Basically, yeah. But you can get away with saving in combat, if you do it when you have time to hunker down for a short while, say if it’s a long range fight and you step behind a hillside for a few moments. A lot of the gunfights are outdoors, too, so you can typically leg it if it’s not going your way.

It’s a small detail, but I just liked the concept. It was a nice way to integrate the practical gameplay aspects with the game world.

• Kaldor says:

Yeah, it’s still fine. Imagine Mass Effect or KOTOR but without the restrictions and linearity, and also without romances. But otherwise, you do all the talking, walking, shooting and quest solving stuff… There are also some Tomb Raider-like elements, of which I’m not too fond, and it could use use some polish by today’s standards.

• LionsPhil says:

Ok, thanks all. Might well give it a shot.

• Mman says:

One important thing if you’re playing Outcast on a newer computer is to get this fanpatch: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/outcast/experimental_outcast_hi_res_patch_up_to_1280x768_cyana_lighthouse_problem_fixed/page1

While it’s listed as “experimental” with big warnings I played using an earlier, less tested, version and had no issues (that were related to the patch anyway), and it fixes some very important things (one part of the game is impossible without limiting the framerate if you don’t have this patch).

19. Navagon says:

The GOG sale has some awesome titles. Outcast is still fantastic. So is Blood, albeit in a different kind of way. Witcher is very good and I liked the ending. Total Annihilation is my favourite of the bunch though.

“I seem to remember people saying that ShopTo downloads only worked in the UK…”

If that.

• Pointless Puppies says:

How DARE you not mention RCT >:|

• Navagon says:

I’ve only played the third one which isn’t on GOG yet. I quite liked it sandbox. But some of the missions where bloody restricted. I wanted to build theme parks, not fairgrounds. Maybe the first two were better?

• LionsPhil says:

The first one wase very Chris Sawyer, basically, if that means anything to you. The degree of freedom varied by scenario but was usually fairly high.

• Pointless Puppies says:

What LionsPhil said. The scenarios in RCT3 are fairly weak. In fact, they’re probably the weakest part of the game for me.

RCT1, in my opinion, have by far the best scenarios. Lots of freedom in how to tackle each scenario and the physical layout of each park were all very fun to work with. RCT2′s are worse than RCT1′s, but better than RCT3′s. RCT2′s were more restrictive and were more about constantly tripping you up instead of giving you the freedom to solve the scenario in whichever way you wanted.

I say jump on the RCT1 deal, not only because I personally like it better (:P) but also because it’s cheaper and less of an investment in the case that you find out the game is not for you.

• Navagon says:

Thanks, guys! I went with the first one. Sounds like more my kind of thing and graphically it reminds me of TTD.

20. Pemptus says:

Picked up Blood 1, installed this: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/blood_series/one_unit_whole_blood_launcher_map_and_mod_collection_too/page1 and am running around complex levels, finding secrets and blasting fools. My life’s pretty much complete now.

21. kickme22 says:

My steam name kickme22. Plz add me to trade I am selling a large lot of hats in return for various dawn of war 2 stuff

22. fallingmagpie says:

I’m in Brazil, ordered AP from ShopTo.net using my UK credit card, so there’s no region-locking IP address check type stuff happening. You do need a UK credit card though.

23. JagRoss says:

If anyone wants to buy Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War Gold Edition and Dawn Of War Dark Crusade, get the Dawn Of War Platinum Edition.
    It’s $5 cheaper, but has both games.

24. The head Thorax of Abdomen says:

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood for $12 as an Amazon digital download. US only, most likely. Any major issues with doing a digital download from Amazon that I should know about?

• Pointless Puppies says:

I’ve never bought digital games on Amazon but I heard that you’re responsible for keeping backups (ie., they don’t let you download them again). Not sure if it’s a one-time download or a limited-time thing.

25. mwoody says:

Amazon has a digital download preorder deal going on.

BF3 for $51 (if you missed it earlier this week when it was $40)
    AssCreeRev $35
    Saints Row 3 $40

I’ve never dealt with their download service, so I can’t comment on that. Though for BF3 at least, since you’ll be forced to use Origin anyway, you might as well just get it the cheapest you can.

26. therighttoarmbears says:

Anyone mind pointing me in the direction of which of those Dawn of War games would be the best deal to buy for myself and my brother to do some glorious co-op action? Time is short these days, and whatever we can pick up and play in somewhat bite-sized chunks is a big plus. :)

• Xocrates says:

If it’s co-op you want, then any of the DoW 2 should work. Though if you only want one, Retribution might be the better option even though it has the worse campaign (Chaos Rising having the best), simply because you get to choose which race to play and can replay it with all the other different races.
      It’s also the only one without GFWL, which makes it much easier to set up games.

• therighttoarmbears says:

That was extremely useful advice! Thanks!

• johnpeat says:

I’m assuming you’re aware that the original DoW and DoWII are VERY different games??

DoW is a trad. RTS with (limited) resource gathering (or point control if you prefer to call it that) and trad units which you give instructions to (guard, patrol, attack etc.)

DOWII is really a squad action RPG – it’s Diablo with a team.

Both are brilliant in their own way but they’re really quite different.

• therighttoarmbears says:

@johnpeat

Thanks for the breakdown. I did realize that the original was more traditional RTS, but the description of DoW II as Diablo with a team just officially made this a sale!

27. therighttoarmbears says:

Comment fail.

28. Zenicetus says:

Rise of Flight is having one of their big sales — 50% off all the planes (except for R.E.8. pre-order) between October 14 and 18.

I might have to finally get those big bombers, and a few of the fill-in planes for campaigns like the Albatros DII and Neuports I haven’t picked up yet. There is a new blog post on the site about upcoming features which sound cool… searchlights at target locations for night bomber missions, oil spray from damaged engines that you can lessen by moving your head out of the way, AI improvements and some other stuff.

29. Gwilym says:

I’m in New Zealand and was able to buy Alpha Protocol just fine. Kind of wish I hadn’t, though, since the download speeds are abominable, and it’s a 10GB download that cannot be resumed. The installer’s surprisingly candid about this too: “This installation can’t resume and has to start from the beginning when exited. Also, it is 1995.”

30. BobsLawnService says:

B17 : Flying Fortress for three US bucks is probably my deal of the week. What an awesome games. Also, if you don’t want to fly you can just play it as bomber command.

31. disperse says: