Byte vs Brick: Week Ending Oct 15

By Alec Meer on October 17th, 2011 at 11:11 am.

Lists! Two of ‘em, in fact. But what do these lists do? They compare the top-ten selling PC games of last week on Steam with the top-ten selling PC games of last week at UK retail. What could we learn from them? Nothing, probably. Apart from which game companies became slightly richer over the last few days. Well done, those companies.

Steam (including pre-orders):

1. RAGE
2. THQ Hit Collection
3. Might & Magic Heroes VI
4. Metro 2033
5. Dungeon Defenders
6. Red Faction: Armageddon
7. Fable III
8. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
10. Orcs Must Die!

UK Retail (including etailers; not including pre-orders)

1. Rage
2. Might & Magic: Heroes VI
3. The Sims 3
4. The Sims 3: Generations
5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012
6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
7. FIFA 12
8. The Sims Medieval
9. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
10. The Sims 3: Late Night

Most notable new entry there is Might & Magic: Heroes VI. I’m playing that at the moment, and will have Thoughts for you quite soon indeed.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Orcs Must Die really has been quite a surprising success for me. I really should get around to trying that demo.

• sneetch says:

It’s very good, better than the demo indicates; the demo is the first three levels, it gets a fair bit more hectic and complicated afterwards, I’m surprised they didn’t include the first, second and, say, tenth level to show that better. Still, it’s very enjoyable stuff, killing orcs has rarely been more satisfying!

• Syra says:

OMD is bloody great, couldn’t put it down all weekend…

• Carra says:

I bought it last week. I just really like Tower Defense games. And this game looked like it would be more of Sanctum which I also really liked.

2. TheApologist says:

I really hope the new HOMM game is good. I LOVED them up to 3, but the next two lost me a bit. I’m just in the mood for some slow paced turn-based goodness right now.

• Froibo says:

I played the demo and I didn’t quite find it satisfying. They removed most of the resources, bringing it down to gold, wood, crystal, and ore. What I found fun about Heroes 3 was managing resources and expanding your map to get more. However with only 4 resources it feels like everything is already in your backyard.

• MrMud says:

Its actually kind of nice with the reduced resources because it means you arent influenced as much by luck as having the resource your particular faction needs nearby would make a big difference.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Turn based isn’t really my cup of tea, but I was surprised and glad to see it at #3 on Steam.

3. Jahandar says:

I love this feature, and I know you guys are primarily UK focused, but it would be cool if you included the US retail list as well.

4. frenz0rz says:

Hurrah for Metro 2033!

Bought it on a whim and never looked back, one of the most atmospheric games I’ve played in a long time. Certainly the first game in a while that’s had me twitching in my chair from the shock of some beastie suddenly knawing on my arse or scratching at my face.

• kraken says:

It’s an excellent game indeed.
      I almost feel bad having paid only 2.50€ for it.
      I’m really looking forward to Metro Last Light.

• westyfield says:

I bought Metro 2033 and Red Faction: Armageddon in the Steam sale. I haven’t played either of them yet (haven’t had time for gaming in the last few weeks) but it’s nice to have them in my library ready.

• Fierce says:

I as well am very happy for Metro 2033 getting some more monetary love, even heavily discounted monetary love. Very underrated game and hopefully gains some new converts for Last Light.

Consequently, the THQ Hit Collection really is a smashing deal for anyone who didn’t own CoH/DoW2, Darksiders and Metro 2033. Stalker and the Red Factions just make great icing, even though the cake should’ve included Call of DutyPripyat chocolate crumble rather than crappy Shadow of Chernobyl powered sugar.

Bit concerned about Duke Nukem Forever sales though…

5. Steven Hutton says:

Cataclysm is still in the retail top ten?

Dear Blizzard,

Can I have some money…..

Also four versions of the sims.

Dear EA….

6. man-eater chimp says:

Football Manager’s gone from the retail list. What madness is this?

7. phenom_x8 says:

PES 2012 beats FIFA 12?? Surprise !!

Edit : Ah, I forgot that this is for PC though! PES tend to have better modding community at PC than FIFA (check PESFan.com)

8. jezcentral says:

Is this the standard daily Steam chart, or is this a special weekly chart done for RPS?

9. .backslash says:

Rage being in all caps on one list and not on the other is surprisingly disturbing to me.
    Also, anyone care to hazard a guess as to why the hell is DNF so high on the Steam list when it was pretty much universally panned? Just so that people can say they finally own it?

Comment on this story